Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/6/2007 6:22:14 PM EDT
After a recent thread, it's obvious that many folks here don't know how to prepare a steak properly.

Tonight, I felt like eating some dead cow, and I figured I'd give a lesson in the process.

For those of you who use marinade, forget everything you think you know about steak right now.

The ingredients:

A ribeye chosen for its decent marbling.  Some people say it's fat and don't like it... they know not of what they speak.  Marbling is where a lot of the flavor comes from.  

Other ingredients are Sea Salt, Chopped Garlic, Rosemary, cracked pepper, and olive oil (not shown).

-First step, cover both sides of the steak with sea salt or kosher salt.  You want to coat the steak completely.

-Second, add the garlic and rosemary to both sides.

-Third Step, open a beer and turn on the LSU vs. Florida game.

-Get your natural lump charcoal, soak it in lighter fluid, and get it started in the chimney.

-After the steak sits for 30-45 minutes, wash all the salt and other seasoning off, then pat dry with a paper towel.  Now add the cracked pepper, rub it into both sides, then brush both sides with a light coat of olive oil.

-Place on the grill, sear both sides.

You should never cook your steaks more than medium or medium rare.  Anything more, and you're just drying it out and removing flavor.  I got this one a little bit too done, because of the football game, but it was absolutely amazing.  Each bite was like a small orgasm.

No, it's not a dinner pic... but this isn't a dinner pic thread so get over it.

A hint:  If you're cooking for guests, don't let them see you prepare the steak.  They'll think it'll be too salty.  Let them taste it, then tell them how you did it.

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the Fiestaware
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:24:18 PM EDT
[#2]
EXCELLLLLLENT!

I want to add that you must pat the steak completely dry after rinsing the salt off.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good, but the pre-cut garlic?  Press a couple of fresh cloves next time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
EXCELLLLLLENT!

I want to add that you must pat the steak completely dry after rinsing the salt off.

Yes.

Remove ALL the water.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks good, but the pre-cut garlic?  Press a couple of fresh cloves next time.

I was being lazy tonight.  I didn't even fix a side.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I would also like to add that Canola oil might be a better choice over olive oil because it has a higher smoke point.

approx 320f vs. 450f.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Why are you rinsing the salt/garlic/etc off?  Does that method infuse a slight amount of seasoning into the meat, yet not over power it?  Why not season with salt/garlic/etc sparingly and leave on for the grill?

I'm also curious of your charcoal canister setup, why is that used compared to just lighting that in the grill?

I've been one to use Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt, pepper  method for my steaks.  Works out "okay" but I'm interested in the above as well.

Side note: nice piece of cow you have there, I've yet to see a prepackaged cut that looked that good locally.  I have to hand pick mine from the butcher.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you bruise the rosemary or put it on as is.  What are your thoughts on dried rosemary.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Garlic? Rosemary?

SEND IN THE TRUCK OF FAIL!

(honestly that is better than what a lot of folks would do; ie, marinades or "well done" steak murder - but I'm a strict salt & pepper steaker.)
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I am going to try this next time! Thanks for the info-post Cypher214.

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
1:  The idea of a chimney starter is so that you do not have to use fluid at all.  I always got mine going just fine with a couple of balls of newspaper lit under it to start it.  I hate the petroleum odor/taste.

I agree.  Never use fluid with a chimney.  Make a "paper donut" around the inside of the bottom of the chimney or just ball up some paper.  To help you can a little vegetable oil to the paper to assist in burning.  Light it up and and in about ten minutes you should have some nice coals.  The purpose of the chimney is to light from the bottom and let the heat rise to naturally burn the coals.

Otherwise, great post...!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Do you bruise the rosemary or put it on as is.  What are your thoughts on dried rosemary.  

re-hydrate it with liquid or oil prior to adding heat. If you add heat right off the bat to dried herbs they will burn.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Should have chopped the rosemary....I would have used less salt but left it on...just before the steak comes off the coals, toss a pat of butter on the top of the meat, let it melt and then brush...flip....repeat...flip once more to brown the butter on that side, then plate.

nice efffort...good looking steak....but never.....ever....let the TV get in the way of properly prepared beef
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Should have chopped the rosemary....I would have used less salt but left it on...just before the steak comes off the coals, toss a pat of butter on the top of the meat, let it melt and then brush...flip....repeat...flip once more to brown the butter on that side, then plate.

nice efffort...good looking steak....but never.....ever....let the TV get in the way of properly prepared beef

you have to use alot of salt. It tenderizes it and "dries" the steak out. Less water in the steak = concentration of flavor, tastes more beefy. Once you rinse it off, it doesn't taste salty at all.  You should try this method at least once in your life, preferably early on in life because it works so well.

here is a link that explains the salt steak it in detail
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]
You went the chimney starter and lump charcoal route but used lighter fluid??????

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my steak alot more seared than that.  My advice to you is to get your grill as hot as you can possibly get it.  The cook the steak 3-5 min on each side depending on the thickness.  You will get a medium rare steak with a very nice seared outside with charred fat on the edges.  I use a charcoal smoker for most meats but when it comes to steak I have a gas grill that gets HOT.  The temp guage reads about 700 right before I throw them on.  You are not going to notice the difference between gas or charcoal if you are cooking it right because it is simply on the grill for to little time.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry, you fail...

Lighter fluid?  Fail.

Raw Garlic? Fail.

Rinsing your steak?  WTF?

Steak FTW
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sorry, you fail...

Lighter fluid?  Fail.

Raw Garlic? Fail.

Steak FTW

Uh huh...

You didn't taste my steak, either.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You went the chimney starter and lump charcoal route but used lighter fluid??????

I'm impatient and lazy tonight, I didn't feel like waiting.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I can't condone the rosemary and olive oil on a steak, but good job on the real charcoal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I can't condone the rosemary and olive oil on a steak, but good job on the real charcoal.

The steak was amazing.

I've prepared steak using many different methods in the past but this steak was just about the best I've had.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Rosemary WTF

Did you prepare that steak while listening to your Simon and Garfunkle album?

And the puke blue plate?

I smell a hippy

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Rosemary WTF

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry, you fail...

Lighter fluid?  Fail.

Raw Garlic? Fail.

Steak FTW

Uh huh...

It may taste good, its hard to fuck up a good ribeye (ok you can over cook it, but it's still a great cut) however a beautiful steak is all about embracing the beef and enhancing the flavor.  Raw garlic would be burnt to a crisp on my grill and detract from the flavor.  Rosemary is a great herb, but it can very easily overpower the beef.  I just can't get my mind around rinsing my steak AFTER it's been seasoned, sorry.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I love fresh ground black pepper , but it the one problem with it
is that it burns when exposed to temps over 250° .

So if you want the real flavor and kick , save it till after the meat is
cooked
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry, you fail...

Lighter fluid?  Fail.

Raw Garlic? Fail.

Steak FTW

Uh huh...

It may taste good, its hard to fuck up a good ribeye (ok you can over cook it, but it's still a great cut) however a beautiful steak is all about embracing the beef and enhancing the flavor.  Raw garlic would be burnt to a crisp on my grill and detract from the flavor.  Rosemary is a great herb, but it can very easily overpower the beef.  I just can't get my mind around rinsing my steak AFTER it's been seasoned, sorry.  

The salt works to pull the flavors into the beef, so you're rinsing the salt off but the flavors are already inside the beef.

Read the link about the salt method for a better explanation.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll try the over-salting method for this chicken I am thawing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Different strokes for different folks Steak can be good many different ways.

i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/sgb_album/10-05-2007-powerout016.jpg

What's that under the sour cream?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/sgb_album/10-05-2007-powerout016.jpg

What's that under the sour cream?

Would you like some potato with your sour cream, sir?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Not to blaspheme, but the best steaks come from under a broiler or in a cast iron skillet, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn, that looks awesome.

I love ribeye.

Flame me if you will, but rare...

Slightly under medium maybe, but there is a fine line between cooked and raw.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've never heard of the sea salt method before. I'll have to try it, except with some seasoned salt instead
sea salt /= seasoned salt.

Do post about your seasoned salt findings though, I've often thought of it when I'm picking from the spices.

Usually I just slather it on the steak before, during, and after the cooking process.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#37]
You forgot the marinade.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
-Get your natural lump charcoal, soak it in lighter fluid, and get it started in the chimney.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/Cypher214/DSC_0037Small.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/Cypher214/DSC_0038Small.jpg

-1,000 for lighter fluid
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Rosemary WTF

And the puke blue plate?

I smell a hippy

I was thinking the same thing!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#40]
No gun = fail.

0/10 steak or not.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I'd eat that any day of the week.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/19/2007 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#43]
I LIKE PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Strangly, this reminds me of the MTV's jackass version of how to cook an omlete.  One of the jackass regulars chopped up some onions, tomatoes, and 3 raw egges.  He swallowed the ingredients, stuck a finger down his throat, puked them up again in the frying pan and fried them.

My favorite skit was johnny knoxville farting in a yoga class.

Guys, I am really sorry if I blew everyones apetite.

Actually, I heat up a bunch of charcole and wood chips over a grating on one side of a gas grill.  After the fire is going real good, I turn the gas off, put the steaks on the other side, pile a hole bunch of fine oak chips over the fire, and turn it into a smoker.  The 1 1/2 thick \ steaks are marinated for about 24 hours ahead with red wine and terryaki sauce.  The rich white oak smoke smothers my neighbors who wipe their chins in steak lust.  After about an hour I am talking about steak from heavan.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Anybody else here lay the steaks on the grill at a 45 degree angle and rotates 90 degrees at half the grilling time per side to create the cross-hatched grill marks?
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I might just try the cast iron skillet method tonight... no grill right now, but I do have a gas oven.

Link Posted: 10/19/2007 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#47]
The whole coat with salt to draw out water thing with steaks is new to me, but it sounds good and I will give it a try. Thanks all for the info.

Link Posted: 10/19/2007 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I might just try the cast iron skillet method tonight... no grill right now, but I do have a gas oven.

It makes a fantastic steak.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I like steak, but when I eat it steak, people can't help but open their yappers and tell me how I need to eat all the fat and grizzle and that the only way to eat steak is rare.

I'll have to try this sometime... after I cut off the fat/grizzle and I'll have to cook it a bit more.

You don't have to eat the grizzle, just cook it with it on.  Cut it off when you eat the steak.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I eat anywhere between 2 to 4 T-bones a week, any try to save the porterhouse steaks for social events and grill outs with friends.

I like McCormicks Montreal Spicy Seasoning on mine.

The GF's dad does beef cattle on his hobby farm. All the meat we get is Angus

Poor me huh?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top