Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/4/2007 5:25:11 AM EDT
Link to data...If SIG has already sold approximately 7500 556 rifles in one year (internet data, not verified), then they have definitely gauged their market and product well.
 All those unhappy with the 556 would appear to be a VERY squeaky minority.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=232331
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:41:52 AM EDT
[#1]
This means SIG took orders for 7500 rifles from their distributors. SIG does not sell direct to the public. Basically it's meaningless, just that they built 7500 rifles. There could very well be several thousand rifles sitting in distributors warehouses or on gun store shelves. Given the current political situation, a smart distributor would do just that; buy all they can when they can. I will be interested to see what next years sales are like.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Link to data...If SIG has already sold approximately 7500 556 rifles in one year (internet data, not verified), then they have definitely gauged their market and product well.

you'd only be able to determine that if Sig Sauer were selling BOTH the 556 and the 550/551.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This means SIG took orders for 7500 rifles from their distributors. SIG does not sell direct to the public. Basically it's meaningless, just that they built 7500 rifles. There could very well be several thousand rifles sitting in distributors warehouses or on gun store shelves. Given the current political situation, a smart distributor would do just that; buy all they can when they can. I will be interested to see what next years sales are like.

There are a lot of shops that have them just to say they stock the complete line of Sig.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:15:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Next years sales may in fact be stronger with the upcoming versions: Commando (w/ original 55X series stock & hand guard?), the pistol version (way cool SBR platform), and possibly a .308 version.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you'd only be able to determine that if Sig Sauer were selling BOTH the 556 and the 550/551.

Right, and though you'd find lots of folks who've pined for the originals excited, you'd also have folks not as keen on the original series' rock-in, expensive proprietary mags when the 556 offers a more practical option.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

There are a lot of shops that have them just to say they stock the complete line of Sig.

And there are tons of shops that bought a whole pile of Sig's pistol line just to get their hands on a 556.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right, and though you'd find lots of folks who've pined for the originals excited, you'd also have folks not as keen on the original series' rock-in, expensive proprietary mags when the 556 offers a more practical option.

i [personally] think the move to the AR/M16 mag was a great move, but "expensive proprietary" mags is a BS argument for most people.

i own all kinds of pistols. guess what? they all use different mags and most of them are expensive. i never said to myself, "...self, i'd LOVE this Sig 226, but it won't work with cheap and readily available Glock 17 mags."

HK clones sell so well that the one manufacturer of pistol caliber versions can't keep them on the shelves regardless of the fact that the guy has one of the worst reputations in the firearms community. guess what? they all use "expensive proprietary mags."

fact is, MOST firearms use their own magazines, and MOST magazines are expensive...

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Next years sales may in fact be stronger with the upcoming versions: Commando (w/ original 55X series stock & hand guard?), the pistol version (way cool SBR platform), and possibly a .308 version.  

I certainly hope so 'cause I'd buy that immediately.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

i [personally] think the move to the AR/M16 mag was a great move, but "expensive proprietary" mags is a BS argument for most people.

i own all kinds of pistols. guess what? they all use different mags and most of them are expensive. i never said to myself, "...self, i'd LOVE this Sig 226, but it won't work with cheap and readily available Glock 17 mags."

HK clones sell so well that the one manufacturer of pistol caliber versions can't keep them on the shelves regardless of the fact that the guy has one of the worst reputations in the firearms community. guess what? they all use "expensive proprietary mags."

fact is, MOST firearms use their own magazines, and MOST magazines are expensive...

I wouldn't have bought my 556 if it didn't take AR mags.

Hell 4 out of my 6 rifles take AR mags and I like it that way.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I want me one that looks and functions like the original 55X series.

I WANT the "expensive, proprietary mags."  

This isn't my go-to gun, nor is it for SHTF.  I have other stuff for that.

I want one like the original!   [throws tantrum]

- BG
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

- BG

Hmmm, is that sarcasm ? Because it is actually exactly how I feel.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Using the data currently available to us, the 556 has done VERY well, this cannot be denied.  MAnufacturers stop producing items that do not sell.
 Distributors buying them is still a sale!
Great thing is, for the vocal minority who want an original style (I'd consider buying one as well, would not be a priority), these sales from us who bought the 556 may financially pave the way for SIG to produce your desired version!  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

No, seriously.

I want an AUG with the original mags.  I want the SIG 551 with original mags.  I do NOT want a bunch of bastardized rifles designed around the AR15.

I'm a history geek and I can get WW2 rifles, WW1 rifles, etc.  They are all different based on who used them.  When it comes to modern self-loading rifles, they are, likewise, different.

I want one of each.  

I do NOT deny that the SIG 556 is a nice rifle.  Likewise, I am sure it shoots accurately and reliably.  It was not, however, what I was looking for from SIG.

I am NOT bashing SIG either.  They are a fine company and I look forward to an expanded variety of 55X rifles.

- BG

EDIT:  Additionally, I believe that selling thousands of rifles in a market that the AR dominates is an impressive feat by SIG.  I think they will sell tons more if they offer an equal amount of "options" like the AR15 weapons platform.  Look at any major manufacturer's catalog and you'll find rifles in a variety of configurations.  When SIG has similar configurations, including original concept rifles, they will sell like hotcakes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
they are selling here.

my local shop can't keep them in stock more than a day or 2.

Yeah, but how are sales in states with a decent literacy rate?

[runs away screaming in fear]

- BG
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
- BG

No, seriously.
I want an AUG with the original mags.  I want the SIG 551 with original mags.  I do NOT want a bunch of bastardized rifles designed around the AR15.
I'm a history geek and I can get WW2 rifles, WW1 rifles, etc.  They are all different based on who used them.  When it comes to modern self-loading rifles, they are, likewise, different.
I want one of each.  
I do NOT deny that the SIG 556 is a nice rifle.  Likewise, I am sure it shoots accurately and reliably.  It was not, however, what I was looking for from SIG.
I am NOT bashing SIG either.  They are a fine company and I look forward to an expanded variety of 55X rifles.
- BG

I'm sort of the same way, but only in as much as whatever mag it uses operates the same as the military version. I wouldn't care if it took 5.56 AK mags, since they rock in/lock; much as I don't care about AUG mags, since they operate the same as AR mags. With me, I want as functionally/ergonomically accurate to military as possible.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
they are selling here.

- BG

Yeah, you guys up north are way smarter than us. Hell, us dumb alabama rednecks can't even figure out how to pass gun control laws like y'all have up there.

Just jerkin' your chain.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put 556's on a shelf next to 550/551's and see what happens to 556 sales
Even if the 556 were cheaper...most people would pass it up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NOT what the numbers show.  The available "original" models are priced non-competitively.
 NUMBERS: 7500 SOLD
 WHINERS:  much less than 7500.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm really surprised at the SIG 556 hatred, it's a damn fine rifle!

Trigger is sweet
Finish is excellent
Ugly arse handguard actually looks nice once you've fondled it about 1000 times....  Though the first time I took mine off I got a hairline fracture on the upper handguard...

Still a great rifle, I REALLY like em!

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#22]
The perfect hybrid IMHO between the 556 and the original series would be a 556 with the side-folding stock, 551 hand guard and sights from the 551.  I'd take everything else from the 556 including the lower with its AR mag compatibility.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Make the folding stock also adjustable for length of pull, then i'd be with you on it.  But just a folder?  That's too old school--kind of like blued steel and walnut.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
they are selling here.

- BG

Yeah, you guys up north are way smarter than us. Hell, us dumb alabama rednecks can't even figure out how to pass gun control laws like y'all have up there.

Just jerkin' your chain.

The irony of it is I can't even get a 556 in CT because of the name.  I have a work-around that I am thinking about, but can't pursue it until there is a model I'll pony up for comes out.

I've been to 'bama.  Nice place... all in good fun.

- BG
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Make the folding stock also adjustable for length of pull, then i'd be with you on it.  But just a folder?  That's too old school--kind of like blued steel and walnut.

Well, it IS just an AK...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I think the Sig name still carries alot of weight, I am still on the fence........
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I too am awaiting to see what SIG comes out with

Not a dig, because I think the 556 is a nice rifle, but if SIG had come out with the 551 instead of the 556, would 556 fans complain that it wasnt what they wanted?    

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I certainly hope so 'cause I'd buy that immediately.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I suspect Sig is disapointed by the sales of the 556. I remember them expecting to sell 30,000 rifles this year not 7000.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm really surprised at the SIG 556 hatred, it's a damn fine rifle!

Trigger is sweet
Finish is excellent
Ugly arse handguard actually looks nice once you've fondled it about 1000 times....  Though the first time I took mine off I got a hairline fracture on the upper handguard...

Still a great rifle, I REALLY like em!

Too AR-Like and why no side folder?  Its not a DI gas system thus the side folder should be an option, no sights for $1300 is a tad fucked up as well.  Mags I can live with.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I suspect Sig is disapointed by the sales of the 556. I remember them expecting to sell 30,000 rifles this year not 7000.

Drop the price and put on a side-folder and sights and it will sell.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, it IS just an AK...

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drop the price and put on a side-folder and sights and it will sell.  

It does not come with a side folder OR sights on SOME models (just like many EBR's out there) and it's still selling better than MANY of those EBR's...that's what the stats are saying...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I like that it takes AR mags.

I like the 556 looks.

The 55X looks like ass.

The only thing wrong with the 556 is a proprietary gas block rail.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I guess I'm just a minority satisfied 556 owner.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
but "expensive proprietary" mags is a BS argument for most people.

+1
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

- BG

+1
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

No, seriously.

I want one of each.  

- BG

Finally somebody knows whats going on.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Yep!

What everyone fails to realize that if SIG made a regular 550 style gun and the SIG 556 didn't exist, nobody would know any better.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:50:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?  I would actually buy one of those.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:28:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Using the data currently available to us, the 556 has done VERY well, this cannot be denied.  MAnufacturers stop producing items that do not sell.
 Distributors buying them is still a sale!
Great thing is, for the vocal minority who want an original style (I'd consider buying one as well, would not be a priority), these sales from us who bought the 556 may financially pave the way for SIG to produce your desired version!  

again, this is a bit of an invalid comparison. the original guns didn't fall out of the american market because nobody wanted them and they were selling poorly. bush sr. made them illegal...

the few that are out there sell for 10K, and they are only SEMI's, which would lead me to believe that there is indeed a a solid market for them.

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I probably would as well

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?  I would actually buy one of those.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 6:25:28 AM EDT
[#43]
New models and calibers coming...

Thanks to whoever at sigforum scanned and posted it.   They've been running 10,000 rounds through them without a single malfunction or cleaning.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
mysite.verizon.net/gfalbert/ss6s.jpg
Thanks to whoever at sigforum scanned and posted it.   They've been running 10,000 rounds through them without a single malfunction or cleaning.

Now that... I would be more interested in...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#45]
*sigh*
Looks like I still won't be buying anything from SIG next year, unless someone manages to get some 551 lowers imported. Sticking an ACE folding block and CTR on it doesn't cut it for me.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#46]
If the Masada wasn't coming out I would buy one in a heartbeat.

It has a reputation among shooters as an accurate, reliable carbine that takes readily available AR mags.

I am not concerned with semantics about rock in mags, I like folding stocks but am not going to lose sleep.

The lack of sights sucks really, really, really bad though.

If Magpul folded tomorrow, as soon as I was done drowning my sorrow in bourbon, I would call my guy and get a Sig 556 on the way.  

I agree that the stuff Sig is coming out with next year looks really exciting.  I would dearly love to have a 552 SBR but live in a non NFA state.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone have any pictures of the commando and pistol versions?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Wow, that seems like a pretty high number to me.

I like the looks of the rifle and those who own one seem to like them, I would just rather have an AR myself. If I won the lotto or something I would get one but that would be about the only way.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

No, seriously.

Me too. I'd like a 551 or an SBR 552. Also prefer the A1 AUG to any of the new ones being made.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
mysite.verizon.net/gfalbert/ss6s.jpg

Not good enough.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top