Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2004 1:42:50 PM EDT
Would you all be interested in a handgun class with SDave as the instructor?

SDave would like to do a class Nov 13-14 at the Pickens Count range
Cost  $250
1200 rounds
sat 9-5 + 8-11Pm night shooting
sun 9-3
SDave is a very experienced military instructor and a member of team Beretta.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Count me in.

ARH

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds interesting. What kind of subjects are going to be covered in the class? Night sights required?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Night sights are always good.
If you happen to need a pair put on I can at least do 1911 dovetails and Glocks

I'll get SDave to send a course outline.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm game for sure. Let me know how the money needs to be handled.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I would love to make the class. I already have plans on that weekend, but if it gets moved to another weekend I will be there.

Justin
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not missing another class!  Count me in!  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in!

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Im really getting mad at all this training you guys are getting into now that I have left!  Piss on you all!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Im really getting mad at all this training you guys are getting into now that I have left!  Piss on you all!!!!!!!!!!

Well, at least you have hurricanes.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, at least you have hurricanes.  

If it ain't hurricaning, it ain't training!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Guys the class is half full now.
If you want a slot you will need to email me and send the payment in soon.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Is this a class for experienced shooters or beginers?  I would like to get me and my wife some training for beginers soon.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Blackriflefeve

SDave's course would not be for beginers

If you want to do a basic course I do a 3 hour basic/intermediate pistol course for $25/ person.
Weenend mornings or evenings.
If you are interested just let me know.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I am interested. I will talk to the wife and find out when we can.  It would have to be on a weekend.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Guys the class is half full now.
If you want a slot you will need to email me and send the payment in soon.

Mike

What is your email address Mike? I'm in.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry Mike I can't make it.
Give my slot to somebody else.
Email sent.

ARH

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#18]
bump!

How is Jasper's only five-star Super 8?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Mike I will be in LE Firearms Inst. School that week. If something changes i will be up for it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Man, you guys need to hold off on offering all these classes until the time I get a real job and have money to blow.  If I'm not mistaken, this class would cost upwards of $500 total...ouch, too steep for my poor grad school grad butt  Not that I'm saying its not worth it, just that I can't afford it  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:34:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Man, you guys need to hold off on offering all these classes until the time I get a real job and have money to blow.  If I'm not mistaken, this class would cost upwards of $500 total...ouch, too steep for my poor grad school grad butt  Not that I'm saying its not worth it, just that I can't afford it  

Guess you're right on the cost, I just added it up. But being my first weekend away from the family in 2 years, during the fall, in Georgia, outdoors in the country, shooting guns... that's priceless.

Unless its raining! Oooh, now I need some new boots....

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#23]
You know the way I look at it is how many of you will ever have the chance to train again with the man who trained the operators at the JFK Special Warfare school.

SDave is truely one of the most talented CQB shooters that this country has ever produced.
I can't think of any better way to spend a weekend

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You know the way I look at it is how many of you will ever have the chance to train again with the man who trained the operators at the JFK Special Warfare school.

SDave is truely one of the most talented CQB shooters that this country has ever produced.

Mike

Is that the John 'Freekin Kerry school of speshul warfare? Just kidding. I'm looking forward to the class like I guy waiting for the HS prom...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, actually I thought about it some more, and I might just be able to swing it if I work some mad overtime and use my Beretta M9 instead of my 1911 like I originally thought.  Are there still spaces?  How late does he take deposits?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Mike

If I did not have to pay property taxes in 9 days, I would be there.

ARH

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:11:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm in.  Email sent about payment.

Jack
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I have had several people drop out  in the last few days.

Payment is due on the 15th of Oct. and I will fill the class from the waiting list  if there are any who have not paid at that time.
So there is a good chance I  will have a slot or two to fill
If you are interested in being on the standby list let me know this week.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I had one person drop out today.
so I have a slot. Email me if you want it.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I will take that slot if still available, email sent..
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Can someone post some good directions to the range again, I can't find the old ones.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Directions to the Pickens County Sportsman's Club
From Atlanta
North on 575 to Jasper
Continue North from Jasper 4.9 miles past Hwy 53
Turn Right (East) on Antioch Church Rd 0.1 miles
Turn right on Hwy 136 follow the signs to Talking Rock
Continue on 136 for 3.2 miles (136 bears to the right at the church)
Turn Left on Jones Mtn Rd at stop sign 1.7 miles
Turn right on Old Jones Mtn Rd. gravel road
Continue past the Deliverance houses to the range 400 yards.

the gate to the range is always locked and there is no public access.
all guests must be with a member
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Is there any lodging in the area?  I don't want to have to make the drive early in the morning both days.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Thx ARSTUDENT!!

GHOST,

Super 8 motel (706) 253 3297
100 Whitfield DR  
Jasper GA  30143
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Just curious, who else is taking this class?  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Just curious, who else is taking this class?  

Me!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#38]
That's it?  Just the two of us here?  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:10:21 AM EDT
[#39]
spoke with Sdave yesterday at length.
He said we are going to do some serious night shooting. So make sure you bring some spare batterys  for your tactical lights.

I'll have a course outline for you all in a few days.

If any of you need a new holster or mag pouches for the class. Let me know.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:45:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Martial Gun Inc. handgun training class at the Pickins County Sportsman’s Club in Jasper Georgia November 13 & 14, 2004.

“S”Dave here. Thank you for your interest in the handgun training class, the following items will certainly facilitate the quality and flow of your training:

Seasonal weather gear.  Functional clothing & foot gear.  Knee and Elbow pads.  Handheld flashlight(s) w/extra batts. Ballistic Eye pro. & Ear protection.  Any functional handgun of reputable manufacture.  Know your handguns zero, expect to work as close as 3 yards and as far as 50 yards.  Have the necessary cleaning tools and maintenance equipment/replacement parts.  A quality holster and magazine pouches. A minimum of 4 ea. 15 rd Mags or at least 6 ea. 10 rd Mags.  1911 Drivers have 10 each 7/8 round magazines, bring 10 rounders if you have them. A minimum of 1,500 rounds of ammunition, 2,000 rounds will be plenty.  A suitable garment or vest for concealment work.  Have at least 50 each DUMMY ROUNDS. They will be incorporated throughout training.  Be prepared to take notes! Be prepared to eat lunch at the range on Saturday! Be prepared to sustain yourself during training on Sunday as there will be no lunch break because the range requires us to be done at 3:00pm Sunday afternoon!

When packing out consider; "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

The following topics will be discussed during training:

Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws concerning responsible ownership of firearms.

Realistic SAFETY issues for all phases of gun ownership and use.

Practical use should influence: make, model, caliber, ammunition, Zero range, carry methods, home defense, and motor vehicle issues.

Firearms familiarity: Location and function of the guns controls for right and left hand use.

Firearms disassembly, maintenance, and reassembly to include functions check.

Magazine disassembly, maintenance, and reassembly to include functions check.

Cycle of operation.

Responsible gunhandling skills.

The mental & physical conditioning related to firearms training.

Mindset for training and skill development.

Marksmanship knowledge; principals and fundamentals of marksmanship.

Knowledge of internal, external, and terminal ballistics.
Understanding time and how it applies to skill development.

Self analysis of skill level.

The selection and use of ancillary equipment i.e. hand held or gun mounted flashlights; visible or IR lasers; Dot sights; Tritium night sights and the care and maintenance of the equipment.

The proper use, maintenance, and precautions of incorporating “Inert” training ammunition.

The importance, proper approach, and application of dry fire training.

Consider the application of tactics and techniques that fit your specific environment and integrate them into all phases of firearms training.

Evaluate the tactics and techniques generated by your specific environment and integrate them into all phases of firearms training.

The “rules of engagement” for your operating environment should be understood and integrated during all phases of tactical scenario training.

The following performance objectives will be accomplished throughout training:

Breakdown of the Draw stroke for the pistol (based on equipment set up & physical position).

Pistol “ready” or “working” positions.

Standard and alternate position shooting.

One and Two Hand Immediate Actions.

One and Two Hand Remedial Actions.

One and Two Hand Reloading Methods for the Pistol.

One and two hand “Back in Action” requirements.

Conditioned awareness and management of the Pistols ammunition load configuration.

One and two hand strict grouping exercises.

One and two hand “presentation shot” drills.

One and two hand one shot draw drills.

One and two hand controlled pairs.

One and two hand double taps.

One and two hand threat indexing.

One and two hand multiple threat engagements.

Threat elimination for combat.

Systematic collapse and recollapse of the threat area or sector.

Static 90/180 degree turning drills, strong and off sides.

Aspects of moving with a loaded weapon at all times.

Moving and shooting in width (lateral) turning drills, strong and off sides.

Shooting while moving in width (lateral), strong and off sides.

Moving and shooting forward & rearward.

Shooting while moving forward & rearward.

Moving and shooting oblique (forward & rearward), strong and off sides.

Moving and shooting in close proximity drills.

Shooting while moving in close proximity drills.

Analysis and proper movement into cover and/or concealment.

Proper use and negotiation of cover and concealment (strong and off sides).

Analysis and proper movement out of cover and/or concealment.

Shooting in Low & No light.

Training will be aggressive in nature and should flow smoothly with your cooperation and hustle. Circumstances will determine any necessary adjustments to the training plan. The only weather decision made will be due to lightning.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Mike....let me know if you have any last minute cancellations. I may be able to fill the slot if you need someone. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Dave/Mike, a couple of questions:  Where would I be able to find dummy rounds for sale?  Would I have to wear boots, or will sneakers suffice?  Anyone know where I can get my hands on a couple of mag rebuild kits for Beretta 92 15rounders?  

I guess we will be responsible for lunch on Saturday, huh?

ETA: anyone else as overwhelmed about this as I am?  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:26:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#44]
The best dummy rounds are ST acton.  The only place I know that has them is LE Targets.com.  They aren't cheap though.  Best if two people go in together and buy 100 to get a discount.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#45]
you can get dummy rounds from Carol at ST actionpro she is an old friend of mine.
http://www.stactionpro.com/default2.asp
At least have a hand full of them if you don't want to buy 50

Ghostshooter
you don't need boots
I have Beretta mags is you need to borrow a couple

All

Let me know if any of you need anything else I'll try to set you up.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks guys.  

Mike, I have mags, its just that this seems like a good time to buy some new mag springs, just in case  They all work fine, although I would like to have some spares on hand.  The website you sent me, ST Action pro, is great!  Now I can buy a Wilderness belt and those action dummies all in the same place
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:16:39 AM EDT
[#47]
what if you got already fired brass, and just loaded it without pulling the primers or loading any powder?  would that function as a dummy round?  i think it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Bad idea dude.  They will look too much like a live round, yes, yes , even with the punched primer, you could accidentally slip a live round in and you don't want to hear a bang when it should be a click.  Plus, if one tries anything like that, they'll surely be in the SD kill zone.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I agree that it's not a good idea.  ST Action pro's are actually plastic with real cases.  I've heard of people drilling out the primer hole. Load a bullet and crimp.  Then inject colored silicone into the round through the primer hole.  Again it will function but will still look like live ammo, thus setting you up for a potential ND.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Carol at ST ActionPro says thanks for all the orders.
They are real nice folks besides selling dummy rounds they have a lot of 5.11 Clothes.

Carol's husband Marshall is a old shooting buddy of mine. BTW
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top