Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Obsolete, how is the front of the rail mounted? I see it straddles the front sight. Did you also drill a hole on the bottom?
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Obsolete, how is the front of the rail mounted? I see it straddles the front sight. Did you also drill a hole on the bottom?

I removed material in a large notch shape to clear the front sight assembly, in hindsight a square hole rather than a notch (which extends to the front of the rail) could be made, thereby increasing the strength of the rail system.

I did not drill a hole or use the hot dog handgrip threaded mounting hole.

It mounts using the 4 UTG factory bolts, and remains in place due to being a tight fit and by the top & bottom being cinched together by the 4 bolts.

Dremel for the win.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#3]
i went and shot my mini draco today, besides a slight cant to the rear sight it hit exactly where i want to......its pretty accurate and very soft shooting.......im not gonna send it in to be fixed i dont wanna risk them causeing any other issues.......in 200 rounds not one failure of any kind.......im very happy and now can start looking for a new flash sup for the giant fireball and a houge pistol grip......im glad i fired it beofre just sending it back because i didnt even notice anything wrong with it.....
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Took mine to the range today too. Shot 100 rnds of BrownBear through it with not a single issue. Tons of fun
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 4:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks great. Which UTG quadrail did you use?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Obsolete, I'd like to see a detailed view of your bolt carrier/charging handle. I've been considering this mod for my SAR1.
Does the Draco use a regular AK bolt carrier? If so, I may get a couple of spare carriers and modify them, instead of my originals.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think it'd be a sweet little SBR.. Wonder who will make a rail for it..

Midwest??

I can confirm that a midwest lower rail will fit with modification. I am working on on modding the upper rail right now. Pics when done
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Shooting Vid...

Mini Draco Shooting Vid

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw the video of you removing the muzzle nut. How loud was the gun using the '74 muzzle brake? I put one of those brakes on a 16" Saiga .308, & the noise was insane.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#10]
How hard would it be to put an underfolder on one of these since it doesnt come with the trunnion?
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How hard would it be to put an underfolder on one of these since it doesnt come with the trunnion?

In the thread it says there is a rubber buffer in the ares where the trunion for a under folder would go.

SBRing this li fellla will be difficult.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The two 10-32 holes needed for an ACE adapter does not seem to get in the way so far with my build.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#14]
BTW. The problem with one of my Dracos was the polymer block slipping up into the dustcover, blocking the bolt carrier. This is the fix...
Use a soldering Iron and poke into the side 3/4 of the way up on the side that goes against the receiver wall. The polymer block will now snap into place.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_NjSOQfYJ54w/TdEy_jIdYiI/AAAAAAAAA9k/fX4BxY8pU8I/s512/0516111014-00.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_NjSOQfYJ54w/TdEzAjDsp3I/AAAAAAAAA9U/zQxowIK7i0Q/0516111016-00.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_NjSOQfYJ54w/TdEzA8B-gGI/AAAAAAAAA9Y/pf_ztjzhRqQ/0516111016-01.jpg
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I saw the video of you removing the muzzle nut. How loud was the gun using the '74 muzzle brake? I put one of those brakes on a 16" Saiga .308, & the noise was insane.  GARY  N4KVE

....LOUD! LOL. I have since taken it off and went with a cage style brake I had lying around.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
BTW. The problem with one of my Dracos was the polymer block slipping up into the dustcover, blocking the bolt carrier. This is the fix...
Use a soldering Iron and poke into the side 3/4 of the way up on the side that goes against the receiver wall. The polymer block will now snap into place.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_NjSOQfYJ54w/TdEy_jIdYiI/AAAAAAAAA9k/fX4BxY8pU8I/s512/0516111014-00.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_NjSOQfYJ54w/TdEzAjDsp3I/AAAAAAAAA9U/zQxowIK7i0Q/0516111016-00.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_NjSOQfYJ54w/TdEzA8B-gGI/AAAAAAAAA9Y/pf_ztjzhRqQ/0516111016-01.jpg

Nice. I don't have your issue, but I might just do this anyways. I like the idea of the block being in there more tightly
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The two 10-32 holes needed for an ACE adapter does not seem to get in the way so far with my build.

I'd like to hear more about this potential issue. I'm only interested in a Mini to SBR. Is the rear trunnion the same as the regular (non-C) Draco?
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Campeck, I like the grips on your 1911. In what part of GA do you reside?

Sucks that one of your MDs was F-ing up. What shooting range was that?
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 4:08:51 PM EDT
[#19]

SBR Done

- Modified Midwest Industries 4 Rail system
- Houge Grip
- YHM Phantom Flash Hider / Slant Brake (Can't Decide Which I like Better)
- ACE AR Folding Stock Adapter
- Magpul MOE Stock
- SIG Sauer Red Dot
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to hear more about this potential issue. I'm only interested in a Mini to SBR. Is the rear trunnion the same as the regular (non-C) Draco?

It is the same rear trunnion as the non C gun. I had no issue doing the SBR I just built
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 5:11:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks good Tim!
Can you explain your secret of getting your form 1 approved so quickly?
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]
07/SOT?
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Looks good Tim!
Can you explain your secret of getting your form 1 approved so quickly?

I am an 07FFL/02SOT.
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://timandevemcbride.com/images/work/mini_draco_sbr.jpg
http://timandevemcbride.com/images/work/YHM_Mini_Draco.jpg

SBR Done

- Houge Grip
- Magpul MOE Stock
- SIG Sauer Red Dot

That's awesome! Great job.

Link Posted: 5/16/2011 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Range report! Love the folder!

Show it folded!
Link Posted: 5/16/2011 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Show it folded!

Going to try and get out and shoot it tomorrow night. I want some night shots.

Link Posted: 5/17/2011 4:10:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Show it folded!

Going to try and get out and shoot it tomorrow night. I want some night shots.

http://timandevemcbride.com/images/work/folded_mini.JPG

Firefly SBR! That's going to light up the range.

Got to pay Off my layaway and get that fore end!
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Got to pay Off my layaway and get that fore end!

Ya it should be fun.

Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:35:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
http://timandevemcbride.com/images/work/mini_draco_sbr.jpg
http://timandevemcbride.com/images/work/YHM_Mini_Draco.jpg

SBR Done

- Houge Grip
- Magpul MOE Stock
- SIG Sauer Red Dot

I vote for the Phantom
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Gonna try to get the SBR  (Form 1) paperwork all filled out. Like how your's turned out! Like the folder
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/leadingedge00/DSCF0155.jpg
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 2:11:43 AM EDT
[#33]
nice mini's everyone,  that chicom pistol grip i know is allot more comfy than the thin grips it comes with.  finally my mini k, came in today and had some time to go to the range with some range results.  first off this lil thing kinda surpised me when i first shot it of a sand bag for accuracy, my first shot was llike what the f..... gotta hold the dan thing down.  this is my first ak pistol and you can imagine shooting that thing without a stock felt really weird, but got use to it eventually.  as for the trigger really dont like it, i might change it out for a tapco or just do lil polishing first.  heres some pics from today,  also forgot my front sight adjustment tool

this is my first 5 shot group at 30' no adjustmenst

then 2nd time with adjustments to the rear sight to the letter "P" also at 30'  10 shots

then 3rd time 25 yards, 10 shots

Link Posted: 5/18/2011 5:26:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 8:47:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Thanks, on the "C" model I mixed 4 different colors of stain followed up by 4 coats of spray on poly coating. On the Mini I mixed 4 stains and then followed up with 4 coats of spray on poly.

I will post pics of another "C" model I have soon. The furniture has 4 stains mixed, brown mahogany wood toner and a lacquer finish. This one looks amazing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

!

40rds at night....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ7vlQxOmKI

Link Posted: 5/18/2011 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

!

40rds at night....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ7vlQxOmKI

I was kind of hoping for more actually.  Here's a pic of my 16" AK shooting at night...

Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#38]
That is a great flash hider!
My current  AK- Champion
With safety mod and ring on trunion for SP sling.

The tool bag it lives in:

I will have to get another tool bag for it's brother.
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That is a great flash hider!

Yeah, that one was built solely to put a smile on my face when I shoot it...and it does that job very well!
Link Posted: 5/18/2011 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#40]
What about wire folders, either the Romanian wire, East German, AMD65 or Polish Tantal? Would they work or does the rubber buffer take up too much space?

My dealer (www.sportingarms.com) has them listed for $400. I will have to pay tax, but would rather buy from her than J&G. I sent her an email asking her to get me one.

Now to find, print, and start on a form 1 while I wait to hear back from dealer.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#41]
If the ACE folder block clears the polymer buffer, I suspect the tap and slot for a Vz58 folder would too.

They're a little scarce right now, and have the added issue of not adding a compliance part if you SBR it, but  they're quite nice, other than the odd metric tap, are about as easy to install on the rear flat trunnion as an ACE, and seem more comfortable looking than the Romy wire folders too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If the ACE folder block clears the polymer buffer, I suspect the tap and slot for a Vz58 folder would too.

They're a little scarce right now, and have the added issue of not adding a compliance part if you SBR it, but  they're quite nice, other than the odd metric tap, are about as easy to install on the rear flat trunnion as an ACE, and seem more comfortable looking than the Romy wire folders too.

The area of the rear trunnion you would tap should not have any affect on the polymer block. The VZ-58 screw does not thread all the way into the rear trunnion, there is at least 1/4" of threads left over.

IMO the VZ-58 stock is the easiest to install and cosmetically looks the best. A little para cord wrap around the stock and it all comes together.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Can one of you lucky new Mini Draco owners tell me if the bbl has the bevel to aid in feeding at the beginning of the chamber?

I'm hoping to be able to run HP or SP ammo through this as well as FMJ.  My 11.5" Draco feeds everything with no issues.  I'm hoping the 7.5" will do the same before I commit to buying one to SBR.

Also, how far is the 7.5" Mini throwing spent cases?

Thanks,
Sean
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Oh, and I am seriously contemplating putting a Texas Weapon Systems cover on the mini to get a longer sight radius as well as to have a place to mount a Micro T-1 I'll have laying around if I sell my 6.8 upper.  

Anyone know if the recoil buffer block will keep a TWS cover from fitting correctly?

TIA,
Sean
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#45]
If the bullet guide/feed shelf is too sharp, and it's giving you problems with HP and SP ammo, 10 minutes with a Dremel and a Aluminum Oxide stone will fix it, 20 if you've got some small rat-tail files and emery cloth.

My full-size Draco (that sounds funny to say... LOL) had a bullet guide that was so sharp it was even cutting the tips of FMJ ammo and jamming the pistol up hard.

The bullet feed geometry is simple to fix, and definitely not something that should be part of a go/no-go decision to buy one. However, if you have multiple ones you can chose from after an inspection conducted in person, it's something to look for if you've got a 7.62x39 dummy round with you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What about wire folders, either the Romanian wire, East German, AMD65 or Polish Tantal? Would they work or does the rubber buffer take up too much space?

My dealer (www.sportingarms.com) has them listed for $400. I will have to pay tax, but would rather buy from her than J&G. I sent her an email asking her to get me one.

Now to find, print, and start on a form 1 while I wait to hear back from dealer.

Will sportingarms do a hand pick (to make sure you don't get one with canted sights) for a fee?

Thanks,
Sean
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If the bullet guide/feed shelf is too sharp, and it's giving you problems with HP and SP ammo, 10 minutes with a Dremel and a Aluminum Oxide stone will fix it, 20 if you've got some small rat-tail files and emery cloth.

My full-size Draco (that sounds funny to say... LOL) had a bullet guide that was so sharp it was even cutting the tips of FMJ ammo and jamming the pistol up hard.

The bullet feed geometry is simple to fix, and definitely not something that should be part of a go/no-go decision to buy one. However, if you have multiple ones you can chose from after an inspection conducted in person, it's something to look for if you've got a 7.62x39 dummy round with you.

It's not a go/no-go deal breaker for me.....I'd just like to know in advance if it's the same as my other Draco.

Sean
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will sportingarms do a hand pick (to make sure you don't get one with canted sights) for a fee?

Thanks,
Sean

They don't stock them, and cannot get one at this time. She suggested J&G Sales. I am trying to decide if I want to spend $470 for one ($400 gun + $50 shipping + $20 transfer) or wait a bit for the supply to improve. I assume I need to host gun before submitting a form 1?
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
Sean

They don't stock them, and cannot get one at this time. She suggested J&G Sales. I am trying to decide if I want to spend $470 for one ($400 gun + $50 shipping + $20 transfer) or wait a bit for the supply to improve. I assume I need to host gun before submitting a form 1?

Yes, you need the serial number to submit the form 1.

Thanks for the info on your dealer.  I think I'm going to wait too. I'd love to have one now, but have to sell my 6.8 LWRC 10.5" upper first.

Sean
Link Posted: 5/19/2011 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#50]
This baby draco is great
Maybe it will free up the daddy dracos
Page / 8
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top