AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just got back from my road trip

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m106/Desertblade/MiniDraco002.jpg

With the "Cookie Cutter" Muzzle break and Tanker Mag.

That's a good looking muzzle break. Who is the manf
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Got it from AIM surplus. Called a BART brake.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Got it from AIM surplus. Called a BART brake.

Because the points look like the top of his head?
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice looking Mini AKcomrade. Any plans for it other than the brake?
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, the hot dog bun forearm has been refinished and russian pistol grip is on order. This is the one  I will SBR in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, the hot dog bun forearm has been refinished and russian pistol grip is on order. This is the one  I will SBR in the next few weeks.

Side folder/Under folder
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
7.5 Ace side folder with a Stormwertz folding mech.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
7.5 Ace side folder with a Stormwertz folding mech.

+1, the ACE entry stock will look good with this...
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Ordered my GAT, my Draco was just to long
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#11]
nice akcomrade, just placed an order this morning for mine and cant wait.  but since were on the topic of mini, found this on the net
dang how much more mini can these things get

trying to post a youtube video of it, but havin a hard time.  type in: ak47pistol micro 3.25 inch barrel
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 3:20:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
nice akcomrade, just placed an order this morning for mine and cant wait.  but since were on the topic of mini, found this on the net
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/100_1684.jpg
trying to post a youtube video of it, but havin a hard time.  type in: ak47pistol micro 3.25 inch barrel

Alright damn it, I've got to build me one of those! I think I've got most of the parts already including a barrel stub.

Link Posted: 5/10/2011 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Just picked mine up from the FFL today. Here is a quick vid I did right after opening the box.

Mini Draco Vid

Ignor the part where I am an idiot and say 5 meters instead of 500.

Link Posted: 5/11/2011 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just picked mine up from the FFL today. Here is a quick vid I did right after opening the box.

Mini Draco Vid

Thanks for the vid, to answer your question in the vid the Draco and Draco "C" have 11.5inch barrels.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

hanks for the vid, to answer your question in the vid the Draco and Draco "C" have 11.5inch barrels.

Some are longer, my "C" barrel was just over 12".
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hanks for the vid, to answer your question in the vid the Draco and Draco "C" have 11.5inch barrels.

We had about 6 folks on here who took the barrel out of their Draco and measured it, everyone reported back they were 11.5".

Were you measuring the barrel while it's still in the pistol
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I just recieved MY  mini draco it  , has no detent pin the spring is there but no pin , can i replace it myself how is it done , can you install another brake or flash suppressor without it .
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#18]
"I just recieved MY mini draco it , has no detent pin the spring is there but no pin , can i replace it myself how is it done , can you install another brake or flash suppressor without it ."

Yes- you can install a detent and spring yourself. Last I checked- cnc warrior and apex guns had them. You will need to knock the front pin of the fsb out with a punch to get the new spring and detent pin in. Not hard at all. If the pin and/or spring combo you use are too long, you can trim the spring slightly and/or grind the pin down a bit if necessary....

You can put another break on without it, but it will likely loosen up when you shoot...

Detent pin and spring ROMY Apex

Detent pin and spring CNC
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had about 6 folks on here who took the barrel out of their Draco and measured it, everyone reported back they were 11.5".

I measured mine the exact same way the BATFE measures, and I was in that thread. My barrel was between 12" and 12.1", measured from closed bolt face to bare muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There appears to be a variance of over an inch based on numerous reports. Mine is 11.5ish but others state theirs are over 12.5". I wonder if the older ones might be a little longer?

BTW- Thanks for the pics and info about the mini's fellas, keep them coming.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I talked to classic today (classicarms.us) and they said they haven't had much demand for the mini.  In other words you guys need to also call them and beg them to stock the damn things!  She said if she gets more requests for it they will order them!  What are you waiting for? Why aren't you calling them yet? get on it!
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey guys, made another vid, this time taking it down and showing all the components close up

Mini Draco Takedown

Link Posted: 5/11/2011 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I believe .22 caliber is exempt from the "steel core ban" that is how why we are still able to get steel core 5.56 ammo imported in.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a hideous abomination!

I want one.

PS- If they made that in 5.45 I'd get 2.

THIS!!!!

Uh... How about NO.

If a pistol in 5.45 is ever imported, sold, or produced in the U.S. it would get all N76 steel core 5.45 banned forever, as "steel core armor piercing handgun ammunition".

Olympic arms made an AR pistol in 7.62x39 a bit over a decade ago, and despite people screaming at them not to... and all the cheap spam-can steel core 7.62 got banned as "handgun ammo".

I guess you can say good bye to the steel core ammo! 5.45 pistol

The days of 7N6 are numbered. Those fucking pricks. Another fucking AR pistol too...Olympic somehow behind this one too?

Interesting... it's no longer on their site.

Link Posted: 5/11/2011 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/100_1684.jpg

Any shorter and there'll be FMJ sticking out the end!

I bet the Mini Draco would look good as a galil conversion.........................
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey guys, made another vid, this time taking it down and showing all the components close up

Mini Draco Takedown

Nice video, thanks for posting! 125 is an awesome serial #, I hope I can get a low # too!
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 6:24:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I measured mine the exact same way the BATFE measures, and I was in that thread. My barrel was between 12" and 12.1", measured from closed bolt face to bare muzzle.

Interesting, I wonder why they would produce a pistol that varies in barrel length....
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Nice! I prefer the redhead to the blonde.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I just ordered a mini. I think this will be my next SBR project with a CTR/ Ace sidefold set up and a VFG.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#29]
So has anyone accumulated a serious (say 500+ as an arbitrary number) round count through these?  I'm interested in their reliability, especially when run hard.  I know the standard Draco's are good quality but I'd like to know if anyone has put one of the mini's through the wringer yet.  I have no idea what I would use it for, but I really want one of these to build a tiny little SBR.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#30]
On my first video a comment was made by a user after I asked his round count. I also asked about the buffer wear, this is what he posted

"Buffer has not given me any issues yet. I have shot at least 500 rounds plus another 120 yesterday. Not a single jam, feeding or ejection issue.....really love this beast."

Here is a link to his video's

First

Second
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm going to say gas port pressure.  Having the piston further back should reduce the pressure that would slam the carrier into the rear trunnion otherwise.

So a Krinkov style muzzle device would probably be a bad idea?
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I think it'd be a sweet little SBR.. Wonder who will make a rail for it..

Midwest??
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 10:17:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think it'd be a sweet little SBR.. Wonder who will made a rail for it..

Midwest??

since this is the only model AK that uses these special handguards, I dont see any manufacturer making them unless they sell 10's of thousands and the demand for the hand guards are constant.  someone might fab some krink handguards to fit somehow, but thats probably as much as we'll see for the mini.

I think if the romanians were smart they would just make a krink look alike, looks would sell these guns on their own.
Link Posted: 5/13/2011 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think it'd be a sweet little SBR.. Wonder who will make a rail for it..

Midwest??

since this is the only model AK that uses these special handguards, I dont see any manufacturer making them unless they sell 10's of thousands and the demand for the hand guards are constant.  someone might fab some krink handguards to fit somehow, but thats probably as much as we'll see for the mini.

I think if the romanians were smart they would just make a krink look alike, looks would sell these guns on their own.

I think you're right..
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Soooooooooooooo jealous.

Good job, it's almost exactly what I was planning to keep my Draco company.  You beat me to it.

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm having some issues with mine. Haven't actually taken it to the range yet (tomorrow) but now my hopes of it functioning is really low. I heard a review of a guy who took his out and was complaining that the bolt carrier would not reset and go back all the way, he complained of a few other issues but wasn't very clear. This got me curious so I loaded up thirty rounds and tried to cycle it manually. Right of the bat the bolt carrier would not go back, and I don't just mean it hit some resistance, it was stuck. If I let it back forward and really muscle it back, I can get it back. Aside from the totally getting stuck times, over all it takes alot of force to get this thing back, especial the first 15 rnds. I'm thinking it's going to cause a major issue. Would could cuase this? The magazine being seated to high in the receiver?

Let me know if anyone else is having issues, or of any ideas to fix
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't have mine yet, but here is an interesting sling mount I found.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/kwikrnu/dracos-1.jpg

Those front sling mounts look just like the Uncle Mikes QD sling mounts.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I just bought mine on layaway! $430

put down $115

In ninety days or less I too will have a "Firefly"
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Right of the bat the bolt carrier would not go back, and I don't just mean it hit some resistance, it was stuck. If I let it back forward and really muscle it back, I can get it back.
Mine did this too right out of the box so I ran to the range a few times & put 100 rds through it. Never happened again.  GARY  N4KVE

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:57:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Right of the bat the bolt carrier would not go back, and I don't just mean it hit some resistance, it was stuck. If I let it back forward and really muscle it back, I can get it back.
Mine did this too right out of the box so I ran to the range a few times & put 100 rds through it. Never happened again.  GARY  N4KVE

Awesome, good to here. I just tried it with a 20 rnd promag and didn't have the same issue. Can't wait to try it out for real tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine showed this week and tried to put the mag in and it woundn't go in. After a while of pushing and wiggling it went in.

Took it down to put the dremal to it and put a mag in that I know works in other guns and it went right in

Tried other mag and they all worked fine.

Took to the range and worked nice for 40 rds. would have shot more but it was raining. Very fun
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Well done, Mr Wordsworth. Very well done.

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Once you go black...
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 3:17:39 AM EDT
[#47]
So I guess I got the lemon mini.....picked it up Friday at my ffl and now notice that the rear and front sight is canted to the right just enough to drive me nuts.....I'm gonna call jg sales Monday and ask for a replacement, or if they can fix it....I have big plans for this gun but I won't be happy with canted sights.....anyone knows about their cs at jg sales? Am I gonna be ok or in for aggravation ?
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#49]
How would a 4 piece krink brake work on one of these? Any other AK muzzle devices that do a good job of throwing the gases forward? Seems it would really be needed on these for it to not feel like a bomb is going off on every shot.

How hard would it be to get an underfolder to work? Is it even an option or would the folder stick out past the forearm?
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Billyj870m9, have no worries, J&G has a 30 day return policy. The first one I inspected had a lower serial number but slightly canted gas block, the one that I purchased is straight and still has a serial number below 0100.

Details on my Mini Draco build (as of today):
•Removed barrel nut weld to to allow different muzzle devices.
•Converted to left side vertical charging handle. (First time I've done this mod, took a bit of nerve initially.)
•Cut down original charging handle to .25", beveled front face to better interact with bolt hold open selector lever
•Modified selector lever to bolt hold open
•Modified UTG quadrail to fit. It's not completely done, I need to remove more material to draw down the top rail.
•Applied Aluminum Black and Perma Blue where needed
Page / 8
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top