User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's the enhanced carrier, and I own one. It's just the enhanced carrier without the enhanced bolt. I run it in a LMT 14.5 Carbine Upper (not suppressed) with an H2 Buffer.

It runs VERY smooth and my rifle gets WAY less dirty with it.

It's amazing.

The only downside is cost. I think the carrier alone is like $135-165.
View Quote
I know it's expensive, but you should consider running their enhanced bolt along with that carrier. LMT wanted to give something other than C158 a try, and they hit the nail on the head choosing Aermet 100 (notice, they didn't choose 9310), and have designed one of the most durable bolts known to man. They're an EXCELLENT choice if you wanna stray from the C158 standard.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'll bite. Where?  Be specific.

I hope you arent talking about where I said "coating, treatment, whatever". If so you're really reaching. Those terms are in common usage loosely interchangeable.

Do you work with metals? Are 9130 and 9310 ok to mix up in manufacturing? Is 6061 vs 6063 aluminum just a difference in terminology?

Right again?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: Also, you referenced Blain's post, and then in your own words called it a coating again. That isn't "a lone instance". That's twice. So, yes, "keep" was the right term for me to use. You can stop waiting now since I'm right again. Enjoy the rest of your turkey day.
I'll bite. Where?  Be specific.

I hope you arent talking about where I said "coating, treatment, whatever". If so you're really reaching. Those terms are in common usage loosely interchangeable.

Do you work with metals? Are 9130 and 9310 ok to mix up in manufacturing? Is 6061 vs 6063 aluminum just a difference in terminology?

Right again?
No, that's not what I'm talking about. In the same post where you referenced Blain, you're next sentence went on to call it a coating in your own words.

Just get over yourself and move on, bud.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No, that's not what I'm talking about. In the same post where you referenced Blain, you're next sentence went on to call it a coating in your own words.
View Quote

That whole post was in reference to his terminology.

As to the "you're so butthurt other people people like other shit" shtick you must have missed a few posts ago when I said "Agreed! To each their own."

Kinda shits on your theory, huh?
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.... Now who's backtracking?
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As to the "you're so butthurt other people people like other shit" shtick you must have missed a few posts ago when I said "Agreed! To each their own."

Kinda shits on your theory, huh?
View Quote
Not after you spent the last hour being all butthurt and whiny because I said I don't like nitrided bolts.

Remember, you're the one who got all bitchy about me posting my opinion, which I also backed up with personal experience, not the other way around.

ETA: Not sure what your problem with me not caring for nitrided 9310 bolts is, when there's quite a few others in this thread who share that very same opinion? Unusual to say the least...
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not after you spent the last hour being all butthurt and whiny because I said I don't like nitrided bolts.
View Quote
I dont give a shit what you like.

What is obnoxious is you twice said those who like them just dont shoot much yet you who apparently shoot CONSTANTLY know better than us peons. Its comical.

Blain is the one who came in shitting on someones advice who was trying to help. Not me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What is obnoxious is you twice said those who like them just dont shoot much yet you who apparently shoot CONSTANTLY know better than us peons. Its comical.

Blain is the one who came in shitting on someones advice who was trying to help. Not me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't give a shit what I like, yet you keep on and on about it.

My point was that it's a known fact most of the guys who worry about how easy or hard it is to clean their bolts usually spend more time staring at their guns than shooting them. Again, don't like what I said, too bad. You seem to be the only one bothered by it. Did I strike a cord? Do you spend more time staring at your guns than shooting them???
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My point was that it's a known fact most of the guys who worry about how easy or hard it is to clean their bolts usually spend more time staring at their guns than shooting them. Again, don't like what I said, too bad.
View Quote
Got it! Phew. Thanks for setting me straight, bud.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point was that it's a known fact most of the guys who worry about how easy or hard it is to clean their bolts usually spend more time staring at their guns than shooting them. Again, don't like what I said, too bad.
Christ, finally. Took long enough, bud.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your anecdotal experience with a single nitride bolt has awed us all, I assure you. Also, why can't you understand the difference between "you're" and "your"? It really shows your lack of knowledge, especially when you try to correct others.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Your anecdotal experience with a single 9310 bolt has awed us all, I assure you. Also, why can't you understand the difference between "you're" and "your"? It really shows your lack of knowledge, especially when you try to correct others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your anecdotal experience with a single 9310 bolt has awed us all, I assure you. Also, why can't you understand the difference between "you're" and "your"? It really shows your lack of knowledge, especially when you try to correct others.
You're right. I used "you're" improperly once, so you got me there, bud!

I posted my experience with a bad nitrided bolt in a thread where that particular topic was being discussed and that's a bad thing, why? I know! Because you like nitrided bolts and took offense to the fact that I don't, and happened to be able to back it up with an example of why. Quit crying about it, take my experience for what it is, and move one.

Have a great evening, bud!
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I posted my experience with a bad nitrided bolt in a thread where that particular topic was being discussed and that's a bad thing, why? I know! Because you like nitrided bolts and took offense to the fact that I don't, and happened to be able to back it up with an example of why. Quit crying about it, take my experience for what it is, and move one.

View Quote
Oh, lighten up, Francis.

Enjoy your bolts. I usually buy phosphate 158C, FWIW.

Now on to our next great debate,  how many times can a man use "bud" in a condescending fashion in a single Arf thread? Something tells me we haven't peaked yet.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oh, lighten up, Francis.

Now on to our next great debate,  how many times can a man use "bud" in a condescending fashion in a single Arf thread? Something tells me we haven't peaked yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, lighten up, Francis.

I'm done with the "buds". And good choice on the phos C158 bolts. That's all I'll use anymore and they've always served me well.

ETA: It is funny how being called "bud" can get under your skin so bad.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://s8.postimg.org/abmwpjyed/Dz_TYCt3.jpg

I'm done with the "buds". And good choice on the phos C158 bolts. That's all I'll use anymore and they've always served me well.
View Quote
Indeed, definitely my preference. Sorry the disagreements get a bit heated at times. We're all on the same team here.

Enjoy your holiday. Really.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Indeed, definitely my preference. Sorry the disagreements get a bit heated at times. We're all on the same team here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s8.postimg.org/abmwpjyed/Dz_TYCt3.jpg

It's all in fun.

And same to you, brother. You and yours have a happy and safe rest of the night.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's all in fun.
View Quote
Glad you can see that, too! Its just the internet after all.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The carrier is Toolcraft. PSA has never said who makes their bolts. It's a quality product, I've used it in several AR builds over the years and have 2 here now as back ups plus the Toolcraft BGC I linked in another post this string
View Quote
Thank you Sir.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Never seen an issue with a Toolcraft nitrided product.  These aren't the same BCG's as were having issues 4-5 years back.

Like any piece of gear you may trust your life to, you have to get out there and test it.  In the unlikely event that TC's bolt supplier didn't make the product to their specs, and the heat treat got FUBAR'd you're going to find out pretty quickly.

Just like ANYTHING out there, and pointing out the obvious.....if its not made properly, there will be issues.  SBN, applied correctly, isn't going to harm your bolt.

Either way, the best BCG available right now is right in 871JZ's avatar
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#19]
in.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Never seen an issue with a Toolcraft nitrided product.  These aren't the same BCG's as were having issues 4-5 years back.

Like any piece of gear you may trust your life to, you have to get out there and test it.  In the unlikely event that TC's bolt supplier didn't make the product to their specs, and the heat treat got FUBAR'd you're going to find out pretty quickly.

Just like ANYTHING out there, and pointing out the obvious.....if its not made properly, there will be issues.  SBN, applied correctly, isn't going to harm your bolt.

Either way, the best BCG available right now is right in 871JZ's avatar
View Quote
Is it a KAC or LMT? Or something else?

@871JZ
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is it a KAC or LMT? Or something else?

@871JZ
View Quote
@LoadedDrum

KAC E3
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#22]
IIRC, from my research a couple years ago, 9310 had the capability to be as good or maybe better than C158, but is possibly more particular with case hardening during heat treat, eg. Only buy from a reputable source.

I don't believe salt bath QPQ approaches the temperatures/time-frames necessary to alter heat treatment on these materials to the depths that they are case hardened.

Other than QPQ, hard chrome is tried and true, assuming from a quality source. Ion Bond or other DLC type coatings are also worth looking at.

I like QPQ since it is not a coating.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@LoadedDrum

KAC E3
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 9:57:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@LoadedDrum

KAC E3
Thanks.
No problem, man.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Noveske Bolts are 9310................Jus saying........................I own both no problems with either.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:19:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Noveske Bolts are 9310................Jus saying........................I own both no problems with either.
View Quote
What's your point? From what I've seen Noveske bolts are usually just rebranded from some other manufacturer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#27]
First, Tool Craft only makes carriers. Nothing wrong with a nitrided carrier. The bolts they sell are from a very top tier manufacturer. I have purchased close to 200 from them and have yet to have a poorly machined bolt or early failure. I get 9310 parkerized. 158 and 9310 vac melt are so similar in composition, It is a toss up as to which is better. Most give a slight nod to 9310. 158 has a tiny bit more chrome, and 9310 has a small amount of molybdenum. 9310 is easier to purchase. As far as nitriding my bolts, I did stop doing it. I use S-7 for my bolts and extensions. I almost gave up on it because of the heat treat issues. The core gets brittle real easy. The standard published procedure for heat ramp up time, preheat time and solution soak time does not work for AR type bolts. There are too many dimension variations in a bolt. A mixture of thick and thin sections. Thinner sections like at the cam pin hole and the lug can over cook real easy. If it does, it is junk. So I was changing my tempering temperature to get a softer core. You also get a softer surface which is not great for wear. I nitrided  for a harder surface. I was only putting chocolate on a dog turd. I had already ruined the bolt in the heat treat so the tempering did not matter. But what I had noticed was that you can get (not always) very tiny small surface fractures in the nitride layer, especially in the thinner sections. You can not see it by eye. My MP machine can pick up very tiny fractures. A crack or fracture never stops. After researching it, it can be an issue in certain dimension parts. Since then, I was lucky to have a genius tell me how to properly heat treat  an S-7 bolt. It is C scale 55-56 and bullet proof. The bolts I make are for 7.62x39. They are a heavy 3 lug. I use Tool Craft for 5.56. I will put some pictures up one of these days if anyone wants to see them. Craig
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
First, Tool Craft only makes carriers. Nothing wrong with a nitrided carrier. The bolts they sell are from a very top tier manufacturer. I have purchased close to 200 from them and have yet to have a poorly machined bolt or early failure. I get 9310 parkerized. 158 and 9310 vac melt are so similar in composition, It is a toss up as to which is better. Most give a slight nod to 9310. 158 has a tiny bit more chrome, and 9310 has a small amount of molybdenum. 9310 is easier to purchase. As far as nitriding my bolts, I did stop doing it. I use S-7 for my bolts and extensions. I almost gave up on it because of the heat treat issues. The core gets brittle real easy. The standard published procedure for heat ramp up time, preheat time and solution soak time does not work for AR type bolts. There are too many dimension variations in a bolt. A mixture of thick and thin sections. Thinner sections like at the cam pin hole and the lug can over cook real easy. If it does, it is junk. So I was changing my tempering temperature to get a softer core. You also get a softer surface which is not great for wear. I nitrided  for a harder surface. I was only putting chocolate on a dog turd. I had already ruined the bolt in the heat treat so the tempering did not matter. But what I had noticed was that you can get (not always) very tiny small surface fractures in the nitride layer, especially in the thinner sections. You can not see it by eye. My MP machine can pick up very tiny fractures. A crack or fracture never stops. After researching it, it can be an issue in certain dimension parts. Since then, I was lucky to have a genius tell me how to properly heat treat  an S-7 bolt. It is C scale 55-56 and bullet proof. The bolts I make are for 7.62x39. They are a heavy 3 lug. I use Tool Craft for 5.56. I will put some pictures up one of these days if anyone wants to see them. Craig
View Quote
Good info and I'd LOVE to see the pics.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Good info and I'd LOVE to see the pics.
View Quote
Indeed

I'll be sure to give any objective observations on my 9310 SBN bolt regarding early wear or breakage. So far so good in a 10.5" .300blk.

My others are phosphate or NiB.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I've always found it interesting that TC only makes carriers. Guessing it made more sense for them to source bolts from those that already do it, and do it well, versus getting into it themselves. Though, they do such a great job on their carriers I can only assume they're capable of producing some awesome quality bolts, as well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 12:48:40 AM EDT
[#32]
DD chrome plated without a doubt.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cryptic coatings is pretty darn nice.
View Quote
I just picked up one of these on their Black Friday deal. Got the mystic black for a 300blk build.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 2:58:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
in.
View Quote
Medic, what did I miss?  You are "in" every thread!
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Medic, what did I miss?  You are "in" every thread!
View Quote
I've noticed, I think it's a post count thing?
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I just picked up one of these on their Black Friday deal. Got the mystic black for a 300blk build.
View Quote
i never was a fan of any of the fancy coatings, all phosphate for me.

the mystic black changed that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've noticed, I think it's a post count thing?
View Quote
He got locked for spamming tech lol
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
You have one I assume? How do you like it? Any issues with it at all?
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#39]
The people here could not possibly have enough experience with the different makers to give a technically correct answer to your question.  There are several brands that people have confidence in.  That is really the best you can do.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious about these chemical vapor deposition type coatings, is the Cryptic Mystic Black essentially the same as the ARFCOM DLC?
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Another option up there with DD and BCM is Centurion. I have this one in a .300blk build and its been great thus far. And it matches my C4 quad rail. ;)
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#43]
For a standard extension, the LMT enhanced bolt in a standard carrier will be the best but also by far the most expensive.  My personal favorite phosphate BCG is Colt due to my own experience and the fact that Ron from BFLV said that, on average, the Colt bolts lasted the longest in his rifles and if anyone knows about the longevity of parts, it is Ron from BFLV.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 1:21:03 AM EDT
[#44]
When I was about to give up on S-7, I bought 1 foot of AERMET 100. $65.00. Not a pleasure to machine. Kind of like 17-4 stainless. Deep hole drilling a bitch. Heat treat procedure so involved and critical, it would drive  you to drink. I bet the rejection rate between machining and heat treating is at least 30 percent. A test used to rate impact and crack resistance is the V notch charpy test. Aermet rates at 30 foot lbs. at O degrees, 40 at 100 degrees, and 60-68 at 400 degrees. It is somewhat temp sensitive. S-7 charpy  rating more than doubles Aermet at all temps. What gets  everyone screwed up on S-7 is that the basic heat treat procedure seems very easy and simple. It air quenches so there is virtually zero distortion and dimension change(.0001-.0002) and far less chance of cracking. Tempering is a piece of cake. S-7 is mostly used to make molds for injection moulding. They can weigh 500-1000 lbs. Cross sections over 2 inches thick. Std procedure works fine. Because S-7 is a higher carbon alloy, it is easier to over cook with thinner sections like in a bolt. Once you get it right, It is hard to beat. I have tried at least 7 different alloys. One favorite was 17-4 stainless.It is very tough. It will only go 45 C scale hardness. I nitrided to get a hard surface. It chipped . On paper lots of things look good. C158 and 9310 are easy to machine and so stable in heat treat, they are here to stay. The equipment to heat treat it is super expensive. Craig
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Chrome DD or colt
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
With a member count north of 340k, odds are that the original question can easily be answered.

Pretty sure all makers have been sampled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The people here could not possibly have enough experience with the different makers to give a technically correct answer to your question.  There are several brands that people have confidence in.  That is really the best you can do.
With a member count north of 340k, odds are that the original question can easily be answered.

Pretty sure all makers have been sampled.
And I'll bet MAYBE 2% shoot 500-1k plus rounds a month much less all year
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When I was about to give up on S-7, I bought 1 foot of AERMET 100. $65.00. Not a pleasure to machine. Kind of like 17-4 stainless. Deep hole drilling a bitch. Heat treat procedure so involved and critical, it would drive  you to drink. I bet the rejection rate between machining and heat treating is at least 30 percent. A test used to rate impact and crack resistance is the V notch charpy test. Aermet rates at 30 foot lbs. at O degrees, 40 at 100 degrees, and 60-68 at 400 degrees. It is somewhat temp sensitive. S-7 charpy  rating more than doubles Aermet at all temps. What gets  everyone screwed up on S-7 is that the basic heat treat procedure seems very easy and simple. It air quenches so there is virtually zero distortion and dimension change(.0001-.0002) and far less chance of cracking. Tempering is a piece of cake. S-7 is mostly used to make molds for injection moulding. They can weigh 500-1000 lbs. Cross sections over 2 inches thick. Std procedure works fine. Because S-7 is a higher carbon alloy, it is easier to over cook with thinner sections like in a bolt. Once you get it right, It is hard to beat. I have tried at least 7 different alloys. One favorite was 17-4 stainless.It is very tough. It will only go 45 C scale hardness. I nitrided to get a hard surface. It chipped . On paper lots of things look good. C158 and 9310 are easy to machine and so stable in heat treat, they are here to stay. The equipment to heat treat it is super expensive. Craig
View Quote
Wow, this is all very interesting.  Would you mind telling us about your back ground, and how / why you got into making your own AR bolts vs. just buying them?
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Blain. I have a full service engine machining and rebuilding machine shop. 40 years in January. No rocket scientist here. Sold a couple patents back in 2000 and bought one 3 and one 4 axis machining centers. Started making my own parts. Learned by making lots of mistakes. I always liked the 7.62x39 round. Modified AR style bolts do not seem to hold up well. At 50,000 chamber pressure, 7.62x39 can generate 15-17 percent more bolt thrust than 5.56 at 60,000. And that does not take into consideration the steeper case taper on the 7.62. Opening up the bolt face on an AR bolt just makes things worse. I did not want to go with the 308 size bolt because I wanted the smaller profile and weight. Plus with a smaller bolt diameter I can bring the bullet centerline up and have a shallower feed angle. Nothing special, just my therapy from the day job. Try to post pics of the 3 lug bolt, carrier and xtension tonight. Craig
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top