Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks like the new Acog battery model. Maybe thats why ACOG made one. Also the reticle looks like a direct copy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
That looks like the new Acog battery model. Maybe thats why ACOG made one. Also the reticle looks like a direct copy.

A former Trijicon employee is behind this. However I don't know how much interest there is in a different/improved acog v. a variable power  

Seems like the variable power scopes are catching on REALLY fast these days. I just don't know how tough they are compared to the ACOG, BCO, Aimpoint Comp series, etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I've wondered why these high dollar sights don't have automatic light adjustment. Took photography in college and we used handheld light meters and cameras with built in meters. As almost all cameras now ( if not all) are built in light meters to adjust f stop and time.

Anyways kudos to browe hopefully other Guys catch on to this simple technology.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've wondered why these high dollar sights don't have automatic light adjustment. Took photography in college and we used handheld light meters and cameras with built in meters. As almost all cameras now ( if not all) are built in light meters to adjust f stop and time.

All my electronics such as phone, tablet, and laptop, and my grandparents TV have auto brightness adjustment. None of them work well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

All my electronics such as phone, tablet, and laptop, and my grandparents TV have auto brightness adjustment. None of them work well.

pretty much, they also dont get slammed around on rocks and rubble and have things impact them in a war zone.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Also...KISS  I dont want or need electronics/computer in my scopes that I want to be reliable.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#9]
This BCO works amazingly well. I can point my rifle at two rooms, one dark and the other with the light on and the chevron reticle will transition instantly from dim to bright. It's pretty cool to see it work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also...KISS  I dont want or need electronics/computer in my scopes that I want to be reliable.

Tell that to the guys using Aimpoints. Sophisticated electronics inside, computer chip and takes batteries and they are built like tanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell that to the guys using Aimpoints. Sophisticated electronics inside, computer chip and takes batteries and they are built like tanks.

You know what I meant. Circuitry sending electricity from a battery to a diode with resistors is different from a completely programmable weapon sight which the BROWE is.

I looked up the price of the Browe optic and now I see why you are trying so hard to defend it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know what I meant. Circuitry sending electricity from a battery to a diode with resistors is different from a completely programmable weapon sight which the BROWE is.

I looked up the price of the Browe optic and now I see why you are trying so hard to defend it.

I'm not really worried about it breaking. Lifetime warranty if anything should happen.

Look harder...did you also see the $500 off coupon that they were offering before the SHOT show? Don't jump to conclusions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not really worried about it breaking. Lifetime warranty if anything should happen.

Look harder...did you also see the $500 off coupon that they were offering before the SHOT show? Don't jump to conclusions.

but once that coupon expires its going to be incredibly expensive again
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but once that coupon expires its going to be incredibly expensive again

It's already expired

I really don't see a big deal with the price considering what you are getting and the guy who designed the damn thing also helped design the ACOG. I guess BROWE has yet to prove themselves being so new and $1400 may seem steep being the new kid on the block.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cool story Browe.

I rost.

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#16]
While it is a great concept I don't trust complex electronics....I even sold my Aimpoints and they aren't that complex.

If given the choice of $1400 for the Browe right now or the Trijicon version I would go Trijicon simply because 5 years from now if it breaks they will still be around to warranty it.

A lifetime warranty is worthless if the company is no longer in business.  Once the Browe shows it's as rugged and durable as the ACOG I'm likely to change my opinion on which to buy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 7:36:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apples and Oranges. To top it off you are talking about a company who is more then slightly ahead of the game when it comes to those internals and battery life. (ACET Technology) As to the electronics.......they are not overly sophisticated.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 3:09:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's what the chevron reticle looks like:

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 4:45:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:I'm not really worried about it breaking. Lifetime warranty if anything should happen.
In all seriousness, the best warranty is the one that never needs to be used. Besides that, a warranty does not guarantee that the item will not fail. It only gives the owner recourse to resolve a failure should it occur.

That said, I for one applaud you taking the leap and trying out something new. I did the same thing when EO Techs first came out way back when.

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 5:05:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:I'm not really worried about it breaking. Lifetime warranty if anything should happen.
In all seriousness, the best warranty is the one that never needs to be used. Besides that, a warranty does not guarantee that the item will not fail. It only gives the owner recourse to resolve a failure should it occur.

That said, I for one applaud you taking the leap and trying out something new. I did the same thing when EO Techs first came out way back when.

I agree 100%. I wish I could intentionally try to destroy it and post the results.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 5:08:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-XVhugv5S2qI/TxlYYKKX17I/AAAAAAAABb8/3d-SQb3WMyc/s800/BCO-Ranging-reticule-zoomed.JPG

[/quote

Excuse for asking a stupid question but according to the image the shape moves down the cross in reference to the distance on the target ?
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 5:26:52 AM EDT
[#22]
That looks like a great scope.  I have always hated the thought of having to send my optic back to the company that made it to change the battery, even if the battery lasts 10-20 years or whatever.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-XVhugv5S2qI/TxlYYKKX17I/AAAAAAAABb8/3d-SQb3WMyc/s800/BCO-Ranging-reticule-zoomed.JPG

[/quote

Excuse for asking a stupid question but according to the image the shape moves down the cross in reference to the distance on the target ?

You are correct.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I gotta say this optic line is intriguing to me as it helps address the weak point of ACOGs - shooting from dark to light.

As long as the price can be competitive with ACOG (a little lower to start with), they have a chance to be viable in the marketplace.

For me though, the eye relief is a no-go (same as TA31s, 1.5"). I'm spoiled by my TA44S and soon my TA33.

I asked the owner of the company "Why not make the eye relief better than the ACOG?". He said they had to have the same eye relief of the ACOG in order for the optic to be compatible with current issued military night vision systems and the such that are being fielded with the ACOG.

So it is designed with military sales in mind not civillian sales.  That would explain the price.  

I would be more concerned about the vibration ,light sensor ect. then tritium half life.  I would think the electronics would be more likely to fail the tritium.  Don't get me wrong as great as the Acog is I think it could use improvement.  But the best thing about Acogs is the fiber optics which works well 97% of the time (not to forget the durability and kiss factor).  The weak link is the tritium so why not just replace that with a battery.  Why try to reinvent the wheel and overcomplicate an optic with technology that really is not needed??
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, my one big reservation about the Browe is it appears to be complicated which, to me, means it has a greater chance to fail when compared to something of a less complex design.

While I think the auto brightness function is cool I would rather not have it if its omission resulted in a more robust and durable product.

I know the designer's background but until it's been through the s––-t, I won't have complete faith in it being 99.9% reliable.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I vote combine this with a fiber optic for daytime/outdoor use and it'd be much more popular. They should really target the civ market more because getting the military to switch optics is a very tall order (not as hard as a new weapon system but still very difficult) and they are pushing away the civ market by the high price. Drop the titanium and manufacturing price should go down.

ETA: Sweet, my very first page ownage! However it's a fail since I am now editing
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't know why people are assuming right away that because it has complicated electronics it is automatically not durable and will fail. I guess the burden of proof is on Browe?

It is my understanding that the BCO is already being fielded (tested) by some military units both foreign and domestic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, my one big reservation about the Browe is it appears to be complicated which, to me, means it has a greater chance to fail when compared to something of a less complex design.

While I think the auto brightness function is cool I would rather not have it if its omission resulted in a more robust and durable product.

I know the designer's background but until it's been through the s––-t, I won't have complete faith in it being 99.9% reliable.

Especially at the price of admission.

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't know why people are assuming right away that because it has complicated electronics it is automatically not durable and will fail. I guess the burden of proof is on Browe?

It would be akin to an ex Ferrari employee jumping ship to Kia, and then developing a super car for $160,000.

How many people would get all excited about a no name company making something that would compete with an established competitor?
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#30]
While I haven't seen one in person, I do like the concept a lot.  Ignore the haters, enjoy your scope!  
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
While I haven't seen one in person, I do like the concept a lot.  Ignore the haters, enjoy your scope!  

More haters than anticipated, but I should have expected that when introducing something new and unproven. Time will tell how well the BCO does in the long term. I think it will do great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I vote combine this with a fiber optic for daytime/outdoor use and it'd be much more popular. They should really target the civ market more because getting the military to switch optics is a very tall order (not as hard as a new weapon system but still very difficult) and they are pushing away the civ market by the high price. Drop the titanium and manufacturing price should go down.

ETA: Sweet, my very first page ownage! However it's a fail since I am now editing

The problem with that is that the battery lights up the fiber optic, which would mean that you would need a cover for it if you were a soldier.

The battery on the Tripower lit up the FO disk big time. It had a crappy cover though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2012 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Agreed

I am a big ACOG fan, but the tritium does not cut it for shooting from low light to a well lit area IMHO

If you took a TA31F and added a AA power source with the battery life of a Aimpoint, you would have the perfect optic

But thats a very tall order

Link Posted: 1/21/2012 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#34]
It was a nice looking scope in person and it seemed to be getting alot of interest at SHOT Show.
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I would certainly be interested if they offered a 1.5x version similar to the Trijicon TA44.

Link Posted: 1/22/2012 6:24:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like the battery powered ACOG is up on Trijicon's website and so far I'm not impressed at all. I'm so freakin' glad I didn't wait for the battery powered ACOG and went with the BCO. No regrets feels great!

TA02: ACOG 4x32 LED Scope

"...with a straightforward brightness dial, allowing the operator to determine how much to illuminate the reticle—even in transitional lighting."

Rather than an Auto setting like on my BCO, with this thing it looks like you have to adjust the brightness yourself using a dial on the left side. Trijicon says noting about auto brightness or light sensors. No thanks! With that and only a red crosshair reticle being offered (no chevron!), I'll stick with the BCO. The BCO is also made out of titanium versus aluminum of the ACOG (not a deal breaker, but still...). I don't care if this battery ACOG lasted 10,000 years on a single AA, it just doesn't have the features I would expect like my BCO when paying $1400.

Do you work for the company cause your fanboism is strong, that said id rather have the ACOG, and i laughed at the titanium vs aluminum comparison like it matters.

Like i need auto brightness turning a dial takes 1 second

That statement is not true if you use your tools for hunting.  The time, and more importantly the movement and sound that comes from adjusting your equipment can easily spook animals.  I have never hunted anything that could shoot back but I suspect that the same would apply to enemy soldiers.

I don't know anything about this optic, but I am interested in new developments in optics.

To the OP:  Thanks for posting about this optic.  Now take it out and use it hard.  Take it hunting.  Carry it through the woods and brush.  Get it dirty.  Let us know how it works when it is really cold.  Let us know how well the self adjusting brightness works in different conditions.  Let us know how well the vibration sensor shutdown/turnup works.
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#37]
How about a group buy??
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

More haters than anticipated,...

I don't think it's haters. I think (and agree) that it would seem illogical to buy this scope at the price when the options from Trijicon and Aimpoint are sooo well tested and seemingly cheaper. You are buying something untested, unreviewed (even here in your post) over something that has been through the shtf in the sandbox for many years. People just don't get it... I don't think they are being mean, it's just their WTF!? alarm went off in their head.

Looks like a nice product, but don't get all bent out of shape if others don't agree with your purchase decision. I would not buy one of these over an aimpoint or an ACOG. Many others feel the same. That's ok... best thing you can do is write up a review and hope it's made as well as it should be.

Time will tell. Enjoy your scope. Get out and use it some and then let us know how it goes...

Link Posted: 1/22/2012 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How about a group buy??

They are already offering $500 off, which is below dealer cost, as an intro to increase visibility.

Link Posted: 1/22/2012 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about a group buy??

They are already offering $500 off, which is below dealer cost, as an intro to increase visibility.

I thought that coupon was expired?

Link Posted: 1/22/2012 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More haters than anticipated,...

I don't think it's haters. I think (and agree) that it would seem illogical to buy this scope at the price when the options from Trijicon and Aimpoint are sooo well tested and seemingly cheaper. You are buying something untested, unreviewed (even here in your post) over something that has been through the shtf in the sandbox for many years. People just don't get it... I don't think they are being mean, it's just their WTF!? alarm went off in their head.

Looks like a nice product, but don't get all bent out of shape if others don't agree with your purchase decision. I would not buy one of these over an aimpoint or an ACOG. Many others feel the same. That's ok... best thing you can do is write up a review and hope it's made as well as it should be.

Time will tell. Enjoy your scope. Get out and use it some and then let us know how it goes...

I hear ya.

I already own an Aimpoint CompM4 and I've been wanting an ACOG for many years and was about to buy one until I saw the BCO. As stated in a previous post I wanted a green chevron, but battery powered. When I saw this I had to have it. Maybe I am taking a bit of a risk when purchasing this?? Who knows, but I'm pretty satisfied so far. I'll take my chances in getting EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I will write a review soon. I haven't had time to get to the local range with work and all, plus the weather has been real shitty here lately. The range I go to would be a swamp right now. When I do go what type of things would you guys that are interested in this optic like to see reviewed? Should I post the review on this thread or start a new one? I will tell you now that I'm not going to do anything that might damage this optic. I simply can't afford to do so. I'll leave that to BROWE to post. I do know that the BCO is currently being tested by member of the military both foreign and domestic. Maybe we'll hear something from that as well.

Link Posted: 1/22/2012 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I would love to have one of these, however I cant swallow the $1,300 price tag when I could get a brand new TA11H like I have been drooling over for $1,262 at SWFA

I would totally be in for one for my next optic if the price was around $800-900

Link Posted: 1/22/2012 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would love to have one of these, however I cant swallow the $1,300 price tag when I could get a brand new TA11H like I have been drooling over for $1,262 at SWFA

I would totally be in for one for my next optic if the price was around $800-900

Maybe another $500 off coupon will roll around again. You could always call or email the company and ask.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:17:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Got these pics off the Browe Facebook page. I'm a sucker for Flat Dark Earth and I'm thinking about sending my BCO back to Browe to have it coated.

From Browe:

"The 4x32 BCO Flat Dark Earth (FDE) models have a CeraKote "H" series thermal cured coating. The CeraKote coatings is applied over the Bio Black Titanium anodize and gives the BCO a flat mate finish on the internal surfaces and Flat Dark Earth coating with additional protection on the external surfaces. The CreaKote coating was designed to provide a high quality, long lasting finish, with high corrosion protection and durability. The CeraKote has ceramic base and offers utmost levels of hardness and abrasion resistance. It provides exceptional corrosion protection, outstanding abrasion resistance, extreme hardness, & unparalleled durability."

This is the A-TACS model. It's not CeraKote.

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Looks to me like they would have went with Multicam instead of A-TACS, multicam seems to be a lot more popular

Link Posted: 1/28/2012 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#46]
I too like batteries better than Tritium, and think 2000 hours with a motion sensor on/off should be plenty of life.  My only problem with batteries is when I forget to turn it off, the motion sensor solves that problem ... which is why I have Leupold VX-R's for scopes on most of my rifles.  

It would be nice to have an ACOG vs Browe glass comparison.  I'd especially be interested in real use comparisons of the field of view, edge to edge sharpness, and low light brightness.  It's pretty easy to make sharp constant 4x glass, so I'd imagine the Browe will be excellent as the ACOG is, but since there's nowhere local to look through one before buying, I'd need to know before putting down the cash.  

To the OP, if that really is your rifle, give us some pics through the reticle looking into your backyard ... stuff like that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#47]
I think a fiber optic and battery optic would be ideal
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I too like batteries better than Tritium, and think 2000 hours with a motion sensor on/off should be plenty of life.  My only problem with batteries is when I forget to turn it off, the motion sensor solves that problem ... which is why I have Leupold VX-R's for scopes on most of my rifles.  

It would be nice to have an ACOG vs Browe glass comparison.  I'd especially be interested in real use comparisons of the field of view, edge to edge sharpness, and low light brightness.  It's pretty easy to make sharp constant 4x glass, so I'd imagine the Browe will be excellent as the ACOG is, but since there's nowhere local to look through one before buying, I'd need to know before putting down the cash.  

To the OP, if that really is your rifle, give us some pics through the reticle looking into your backyard ... stuff like that.

You would think it would be easy to get a shot of the reticle by putting the camera lens up to the optic however, I can't seem to get a good shot. I'll keep trying.

I can tell you the glass on my BCO is as good as the ACOG. Nice and clear.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Looks to me like they would have went with Multicam instead of A-TACS, multicam seems to be a lot more popular

I'd prefer Multicam as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#50]
This is the best I could get with the lens I have and I really don't think these pics do the chevron justice, but hey...it's better than nothing and I had multiple requests for this shot. The edges of the chevron look a little fuzzy to me b/c my camera had a hard time focusing through the optic. When viewing with your eye the chevron is actually very crisp and perfect. I did not use the AUTO setting because I was trying to get the best shot for the camera and that's why you will see different brightness in the chevron. The last photo (chevron black) is with the scope power turned off.

I really like how the top of the post just below the chevron is also illuminated green.

Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top