User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also note that if it really came down to it, you can light up the reticle at night by taking a micro keychain LED and sticking it to the fiber pipe with a piece of duct tape over it.  This will be SUPER bright even compared to new tritium.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At 17 or 18 years, my original ACOGs need new tritium.  It's not noticeable unless you're shooting in the dark though.

Also note that if it really came down to it, you can light up the reticle at night by taking a micro keychain LED and sticking it to the fiber pipe with a piece of duct tape over it.  This will be SUPER bright even compared to new tritium.

Another ‘old Indian trick’ was sticking a small chem light against the FO tube.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Double tap
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Yesterdays score from euro optic

Now have 2 cogs.
Idk if i should put it on a 6920 or my aug
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

On that note, put a piece of old bike innertube over the fiber optic to dim the brightness of the center reticle for more precision during daylight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another ‘old Indian trick’ was sticking a small chem light against the FO tube.

On that note, put a piece of old bike innertube over the fiber optic to dim the brightness of the center reticle for more precision during daylight.

They even make little covers that zip up nowadays so you can control just how much light you want. Meanwhile when I want to shoot precise I’m still in the Stone Age covering my FO tube with my support hand
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They even make little covers that zip up nowadays so you can control just how much light you want. Meanwhile when I want to shoot precise I’m still in the Stone Age covering my FO tube with my support hand
View Quote

I have exactly one of the original TA11 Scopefly covers, has someone started making them again?  I use bike inner tube covers on my other ACOGs.  I'd like a TA31F and TA55A model  'fly.

Link Posted: 11/15/2020 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have exactly one of the original TA11 Scopefly covers, has someone started making them again?  I use bike inner tube covers on my other ACOGs.  I'd like a TA31F and TA55A model  'fly.

https://i.imgur.com/7VOV9Yv.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/7VOV9Yv.jpg

Scopefly, that’s the one! And yeah I guess they’re not exactly new, I’ve just been using ACOGs so long they’re ‘new’ for me. Usually people just use bicycle tube though like you mention. I usually like my ACOGs as bright as possible, it’s usually only when I’m zeroing off a bench that I want it dim so I just make my own shade.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
9/11 and my adventures afterward made me an AIMPOINT and ACOG true believer.

18Z50
View Quote

I’ll second that. I had an Aimpoint for my 1st 2 trips, an ACOG for #3 and #4. I like Aimpoints for anything geared for CQB(typically anything shorter than a carbine) and ACOGs for anything general purpose. I’ve never had an RMR to put on an ACOG, but I always managed fine without it over there.

There is something to be said for simplicity.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I should get an ACOG
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm still using a TA01 because:

1.  It works.
2.  I just had the tritium refreshed after it worked great for 12 years..now it is fine again.
3.  It has never lost zero, and I have put it through really tough use...
4.  Why fix it if it works?
5.  It is paid for.
6.  I'm familiar with the unit, and it's capabilities.
7.  I like the reticle in it.
8.  I trust it because it has always held zero and worked just like I expected it to.
9.  By continuing to use an optic that I trust, I don't have to shop around or pay for another one.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Because they are solid and always work, I have (3).
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#13]
TA11 is my favoritest ACOG. In fact TA11 is all I run.

It's compact, has just the right balance of power, ER (eye relief) and FOV (field of view)

It has zero parallax. I have never seen any other optic that had so little or no parallax.

It has no moving parts and you can drive nails with it it seems.

My fav is the "J" version with "H" a close second. TA11J-308G is calibrated perfectly for 77grainers out of a 16".

A green reticle is the best reticle.  Red is dim.

You can get more powerful optics at the expense of worse ER and worse FOV. There is no free lunch. All in all 3.5x seems just right for a fixed power.

If I could make one improvement to the TA11 and other ACOGs, I would make the front objective lense a bit more recessed as it always seems to get marks on it and has to be wiped off with a microfiber cloth.

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone piggyback an SRO yet?
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

No reason it wouldn't work, its just kind of a high unprotected spot for a less durable version of an RMR to be IMO.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

It would work but I don’t think it would be optimal. I’d be worried about banging up and damaging the more delicate SRO. Also, the big draw of the SRO is that it’s easier to use on a handgun that’s far from the eye and doesn’t index off the shoulder etc. Very little of the benefits the SRO has to offer will be carried over in this setup, but it will be more likely to break.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've only ever seen them at that price point without base mounts. For a new, box-to-rifle ACOG,  you're looking at 1100-1500 depending on the model.
View Quote

Buy on the EE or used and you can find ta31 and ta33 acogs for 700-800 all day. I got a ta33 with ADM QD mount for 700 and found a RMR for 400.

Looking to get a ta31 and Rmr on my 11.5 build I’m finishing
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#18]
New TA44s are obtainable in the $825-$850 range + a $70 QD mount...
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:07:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Regarding a comment or two I read that said LPVOs are for the Fudds, I’d wonder if new information might require you to rethink your position given that the military is moving to LPVOs: https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tech/army-rifle-optic-sig-sauer-contract

That said, I have an lpvo now that I consider switching to an ACOG every time I pick up the gun strictly based on weight. I remember back in 2008 right my brother went to Afghanistan I got to mess around with his 4x acog (not sure what model) and I really liked it.

If anything this thread has done a good job making me reconsider, again, running a lpvo on my bedside/travel gun.

Link Posted: 11/27/2020 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Regarding a comment or two I read that said LPVOs are for the Fudds, I’d wonder if new information might require you to rethink your position given that the military is moving to LPVOs: https://taskandpurpose.com/military-tech/army-rifle-optic-sig-sauer-contract
View Quote

I may have mentioned LPVOs being equivalent to mounting an antiquated hunting style scope to a tactical rifle. The direction that the military is going with the Sig LPVOs isn't phasing me at all... Actually, nothing firearms related that the military has adopted for the last 10 or 15 years has impressed me. However, the Trijicon VCOG was of some interest because it did away with the antiquated ring mount system and went with an integrated mount system, but in the end it's still just an LPVO (AKA a hunting scope hidden in a tacticool sounding acronym).
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 11:20:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I may have mentioned LPVOs being equivalent to mounting an antiquated hunting style scope to a tactical rifle. The direction that the military is going with the Sig LPVOs isn't phasing me at all... Actually, nothing firearms related that the military has adopted for the last 10 or 15 years has impressed me. However, the Trijicon VCOG was of some interest because it did away with the antiquated ring mount system and went with an integrated mount system, but in the end it's still just an LPVO (AKA a hunting scope hidden in a tacticool sounding acronym).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah the VCOG had a lot of interesting concepts going for it, but I just don’t think the optic itself was quite there. Trijicon has a track record of great concepts, poorly executed (see also: Tripower, SRS, etc). I’d love for them to revisit the VCOG with better glass, lighter weight, and better illumination. They did a good job of implementing a lot of features to simplify the LPVO from both the user and armorer level.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah the VCOG had a lot of interesting concepts going for it, but I just don’t think the optic itself was quite there. Trijicon has a track record of great concepts, poorly executed (see also: Tripower, SRS, etc). I’d love for them to revisit the VCOG with better glass, lighter weight, and better illumination. They did a good job of implementing a lot of features to simplify the LPVO from both the user and armorer level.
View Quote

I agree with that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#23]
The only thing I wish they could add to the ACOG would be a diopter adjustment. Without corrective lenses, my TA31 is useless to me whereas my wife’s PA Cyclops can focus for me.

Love the ACOG, just wish it had this one feature, though I understand it’s be a completely new design to accommodate it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I use an ACOG because as part of a whole system, they just work.  No frills magnification paired with a reliable rifle, appropriate ammo, and matching barrel length is about as close to perfect as any braindead halfwit can ask for (referring to myself).  They work in any condition and require as close to zero thought as necessary to point and pull the trigger and get a hit at just about any range you might be engaged in.

Not saying you need to match ammo and barrel lengths, just saying that if the whole rifle is a weapon system, then having parts that are meant to pair well together just makes life that much easier when in a bad situation.

Reliable red dots do the same thing, ACOGs just add magnification.  In a basic fighting rifle, I don't really need much else.

I use a TA33.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I was looking to buy a TA31F for my SCAR16. Good idea?
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was looking to buy a TA31F for my SCAR16. Good idea?
View Quote

Yes. Absolutely a good idea.

Hard to beat a Trijicon on a Trijicon

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I have two 3x acogs for shtf guns

And a vortex 3x that is pretty close for truck gun (uses battery and not as bombproof)

My most used farm gun is a suppressed recce with 1-6x in it
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#29]
My first a TA31F
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#30]
have two TA01nsn's on the way, so yes!
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I know this has been asked 10,000 times, but do you notice the FSB in normal everyday use? I actually mounted a TA31F on my M16A4 clone and a 16” carbine today to try, and am not thrilled with either setup. I love the ACOG, even though the chevron was not always perfectly crisp with my crappy eyes. The cloudy obstruction at 6 o’clock was just enough to bug me and the other two guys who looked through it. I’m considering pulling the FSB off of a rifle just because I like the optic so much, but really don’t want to remove the FSB from my FN A4 upper.

Decisions decisions. Stupid guns!
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:07:04 AM EDT
[#32]
No, a fsb never bothered me on anything from 11.5" to a 20" with a TA31/TA31F.

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I know this has been asked 10,000 times, but do you notice the FSB in normal everyday use? I actually mounted a TA31F on my M16A4 clone and a 16" carbine today to try, and am not thrilled with either setup. I love the ACOG, even though the chevron was not always perfectly crisp with my crappy eyes. The cloudy obstruction at 6 o'clock was just enough to bug me and the other two guys who looked through it. I'm considering pulling the FSB off of a rifle just because I like the optic so much, but really don't want to remove the FSB from my FN A4 upper.

View Quote

Flip-up FSB.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:50:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I know this has been asked 10,000 times, but do you notice the FSB in normal everyday use? I actually mounted a TA31F on my M16A4 clone and a 16” carbine today to try, and am not thrilled with either setup. I love the ACOG, even though the chevron was not always perfectly crisp with my crappy eyes. The cloudy obstruction at 6 o’clock was just enough to bug me and the other two guys who looked through it. I’m considering pulling the FSB off of a rifle just because I like the optic so much, but really don’t want to remove the FSB from my FN A4 upper.

View Quote

Especially on a 31, no, I don’t.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:32:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Love Acogs, especially the TA33. I prefer this setup over dot and magnifier:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:45:02 AM EDT
[#36]
@French1966

What's that mount setup? @ me
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:22:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@French1966

What's that mount setup? @ me
View Quote

@gunsandgear

Its an old single hole TA33 on a Midwest mount that I modified for it & Vortex red dot on a ADM 33 degree mount
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:25:02 AM EDT
[#38]
@French1966

More pics? I would love to see how you set it up like that, I like the red dot placement. No aftermarket ACOG mounts allow the red dot to be mounted integrally like many of the new LPVO mounts.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:40:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@French1966

More pics? I would love to see how you set it up like that, I like the red dot placement. No aftermarket ACOG mounts allow the red dot to be mounted integrally like many of the new LPVO mounts.
View Quote

Separate mounts. Integral mount would be a cool idea though  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:46:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Ah, ok. It looked like an integral mount from the original angle. That is a great setup though. After playing with LPVOs for a long time I'm leaning towards setting something up with just an ACOG and 1 o'clock dot. May not be the absolute best from a competition standpoint but for a work-type gun it seems great. Piggy backed RMR is good but the 1 o'clock is appealing to at least try, hoping the lessened mechanical offset will make it even more shootable.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:09:52 AM EDT
[#41]
You owe it to yourself to at least try it. I highly recommend the ADM 33 degree mount for this application.

I don’t think this setup is a replacement for a LPVO though. I like my NX8 too much
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Love Acogs, especially the TA33. I prefer this setup over dot and magnifier:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/496867/1A7BF207-97E1-4A32-A111-007C032A5087_jpe-1735025.JPG

View Quote

ACOG + offset dot is the best setup money can buy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#43]
My OOW FN surplus upper M16A4 on a PSA M16A4 lower has a TA31 now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My OOW FN surplus upper M16A4 on a PSA M16A4 lower has a TA31 now.
View Quote

I love my A4 build. The long stock and short eye relief of the 31 is a pain, but it looks so badass that I make it work.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought a DSA FAL years ago and put a 1x4 optic on it but I hated it because it weighted down an already somewhat heavy rifle.  I changed it out for a TA47 (I bought here on EE) and it was almost as light as not having an optic.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#46]
As I get older and my eyesight is deteriorating I have begun replacing my reddots and holographic sights with 1.5 power ACOGs. Love them. My other rifles are a mix of ACOGs and LPVO scopes.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I love my A4 build. The long stock and short eye relief of the 31 is a pain, but it looks so badass that I make it work.
View Quote

I cheated and went with an A1 stock! Litte bit shorter, and Nobody ever notices until I tell them, but they always comment how nice the rifle feels!

Sidenote, TA31F weighs 14.8 oz with standard thumbscrew mount, while the FN carry handle I removed weighs 9.1oz! Never thought the carry handles were that heavy.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:50:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

You realize you're debating how you aim a rifle chambered for a round based on a varmint hunting cartridge meant for prairie dogs and the like, right?

Current LPVO's are extremely durable and bring a lot to the table. Rings are a fine way to mount them and give flexibility in mounting location and orientation that other methods do not.

Further, your argument is based on "Scopes are for fudds".

The Weacer Qwik-Point in 1971 was one of the very first red dots...

In 1902, Hendsoldt launched a fixed power prismatic scope for hunting. The "Solar".

There is nothing new under the sun, and all of these concepts you're talking about began as "Fudd tools".

I personally do not feel that my NX8 is too bulky for what it is. It offers 200% more magnification than common ACOG's, and it offers a true 1x aiming experience as well as the fact that replacing batteries is easier than replacing tritium for the end user.

I would like the simplicity of the ACOG, but it lacks magnification, and it lacks a suitable 1x aiming experience, as I do not like the RMR's (exposed emitters, short battery life, lose zero when you replace the battery, etc.)
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 4:32:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You realize you're debating how you aim a rifle chambered for a round based on a varmint hunting cartridge meant for prairie dogs and the like, right?

Current LPVO's are extremely durable and bring a lot to the table. Rings are a fine way to mount them and give flexibility in mounting location and orientation that other methods do not.

Further, your argument is based on "Scopes are for fudds".

The Weacer Qwik-Point in 1971 was one of the very first red dots...
https://pic.ebid.net/upload_big/2/2/5/uo_1499029948-26288-49.jpg

In 1902, Hendsoldt launched a fixed power prismatic scope for hunting. The "Solar".
https://images.zeiss.com/corporate-new/about-zeiss/history/images/technische_meilenstein/zielfern/1902.ts-1525778980248.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&fm=png&ixlib=java-1.1.11&rect=0%2C48%2C1280%2C960&w=640&s=9a28fd3240190f5770ae6ba32caf8191

There is nothing new under the sun, and all of these concepts you're talking about began as "Fudd tools".

I personally do not feel that my NX8 is too bulky for what it is. It offers 200% more magnification than common ACOG's, and it offers a true 1x aiming experience as well as the fact that replacing batteries is easier than replacing tritium for the end user.
https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/133731142_10100342262796011_2331271543599615500_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=O5cyTLNbTyYAX8k6M9C&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=a7ea10653c3440b7f3840a7e17c5feae&oe=600F4167

I would like the simplicity of the ACOG, but it lacks magnification, and it lacks a suitable 1x aiming experience, as I do not like the RMR's (exposed emitters, short battery life, lose zero when you replace the battery, etc.)
View Quote

An RMR has over four years of continuous use before a battery change.  You thinks that's a "short battery life?" And there are fiber optic options, so no battery needed.  Holosun has the side mounted battery which eliminates the need to remove and lose zero (if four years is too frequent for you).  As for exposed emitters, Holosun and Aimpoint also have an answer for that.  While I agree with most of what you said, I definetly think your RMR comments are severely flawed.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top