User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 31
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These are not my photos. However, let me add that I also am having very significant problems with my trigger. I'm going to keep it vague until fostech has addressed the issue. I don't want them to cut me off.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/5164/aycIjg.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1120/uSJDFz.jpg
View Quote

WTF happened?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sounds like QC is out the door on these, reports getting worse by the day. I may wait a awhile before buying one.
View Quote
So far for me its 2 good and 1 bad. I plan on taking one of my other triggers out this afternoon and see if the trigger lock and selector cap is out of spec or something. I'll report back with the finding then
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

WTF happened?
View Quote
Wow
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
So mine was delivered last week and am now wondering if I should even take it out of the package based on the recent posts. Was really looking forward to installing this trigger.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool thx for posting pics of one that failed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So mine was delivered last week and am now wondering if I should even take it out of the package based on the recent posts. Was really looking forward to installing this trigger.
View Quote
I think they are slowly getting the triggers up to snuff, but they rushed everything to compete with Franklin armory. I bet these will be good to go in about a year. Early adopters are just screwed though.

That said, my experience has been more positive with the BFS3.  I really want to try the digitrigger, but I've been warned not to. Really want to see a review first.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 12:54:26 AM EDT
[#8]
BFS 2 anyone? Now that is getting screwed... I actually almost bought one and fostech put there preorders up. I put a deposit on the echo and got a refund before the bfs 2 was shipped. Best thing I ever did and definately worth the wait. Still interested in the bfs 3 for my lar8 but will wait till I see the price drop.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:04:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Install it and have a blast. 1600rnds 223/556 and counting without any issues. These are 'new technology' when it comes to triggers so there are always a few kinks that will need to be worked out for the early adopters. That goes for franklin armory as well which also has saftey rotation issues. Thats why u have a warranty.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have any advice on how to polish/fix the selector?

If this doesn't fix it, I'm throwing this in thing in the trash.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Install it and have a blast. 1600rnds 223/556 and counting without any issues. These are 'new technology' when it comes to triggers so there are always a few kinks that will need to be worked out for the early adopters. That goes for franklin armory as well which also has saftey rotation issues. Thats why u have a warranty.
View Quote
I basically agree with everything you have said here, there will always be kinks to work out in the first year or two of damn near everything produced. Open the package, cuss the thing into a lower and have a blast.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Never mind
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]
We did a group buy of these at work last year and finally got them in March. I installed all the triggers for the guys into Anderson (2), Bushmaster, RRA, Stag, and S&W (2) lowers. All work except the S&Ws. Not sure why, but the geometry is off on the Smiths where the upper won't close unless you reach in and insert a thin piece of metal, like a thin blade, and push the sear just a hair forward. Only then will the ramp on the carrier clear the back of the sear. I thought it was possibly something I had done so I swapped Fostech parts into the other rifles with no change. Both guys took them anyway knowing they'd have that extra step when they closed the lower. Once closed, the rifles dry-fired (functional checked ok).
I did notice there were a few selectors that felt terrible after I installed them, being very hard to rotate, but sloppy once in a setting. I found changing grips resolved the issue. I can't explain it. BTW, standard A2 grips seemed to work the best.
Fast forward to now...one guy took his S&W to the range last week and the rifle fired full auto intermittently on the Echo setting. Semi was not a problem. Rather than take any chances, he has asked me to install the original trigger components and he will be selling the Fostech. The other guy doesn't even want to try it and I'll be converting his back as well. Can't blame them as I don't think the alphabet boys would care to hear any excuses.
As for the other rifles,...no issues.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:59:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I tried reinstalling the third ECHO trigger back in the lower and encountered the same problem. I tried the same trigger in another lower and it still did the same thing. Selector 360 rotation and no functional echo mode. Im calling Fostech tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:24:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
...one guy took his S&W to the range last week and the rifle fired full auto intermittently on the Echo setting. Semi was not a problem. Rather than take any chances, he has asked me to install the original trigger components and he will be selling the Fostech.
View Quote
So you and you friend have a trigger that you know is faulty/going full auto... and he's going to sell it off somewhere?  Please tell me you are at least sending it in to Fostech for warranty repair first.

In other news... sounds like Fostech is well aware if the issues with the safety detent cap,  and they are working on a new design. Early adoptees will likely be able to update their existing  safties, at a price ($25, or so).

The couple broken hammers I've seen have both been in pistol caliber lowers.  Coincidence?  IDK. But different forces in play in a strait blowback gun, perhaps?  Either way, strange.  Seeing the broken hammers, I'm about 90% confident that we're looking at a MIM part.  Fostect confirmed all parts were bare/uncoated stainless steel, but would not specify the specific casting process.  But again, my money is on MIM.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#16]
upgrade our faulty detent caps for $25? That's BS. They should replace them to fix the problems.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone own or frequently use a full auto M16? How would you say the experience compares to binary triggers?
View Quote
My trigger finger is still sore after several video reviews of the ECHO and FA BFS3. I just finished looking at the WOLF A1 upper and tested that upper on a full auto lower. The difference between full auto and binary is night and day. The binary triggers are fun but require effort to make sure you have "reset" the trigger for the "second shot". With full auto the trigger is a switch. Hold the trigger for "on" and let go of the trigger for "off". It is completely different. There is a reason the BATFE signed off on these triggers. They are not full auto and the Franklin Armory BFS has issues with hammer follow. Both take effort to fire rapidly. A semi auto AR can be fired very rapidly with a good semi trigger. Any semi AR can be bump fired at a rate that compares to full auto. If you are ever in eastern NC look me up and you can do your own side-by-side comparison of full auto and binary. They are fun, but they are NOT full auto.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
upgrade our faulty detent caps for $25? That's BS. They should replace them to fix the problems.
View Quote
My impression (YMMV) is that they will fix or replace your existing detent cap with the same type of stainless MIM part, hand fitted and guaranteed to properly work free of charge, under warranty.

The new detent cap is an entirely different design, different manufacturing process, more of a CNC part that cheap cast.  FWIW, I believe the bulk of the cost in the Echo setup is intellectual property. For me, if they let owners pay $15 here, or $20 there for better parts when availible, I'm in. I want a forged/properly hardened hammer next.  Better profile/longer trigger down the road.

I'm sceptical of assertions that prices will come down on these anytime soon, or that they will catch up with demand. If the prices in the second-hand market are any indication of what people are willing to pay for a 'auto-like' experience, I bet they go the opposite route by improving key parts, and bumping the price up a $100 per unit to cover the more complex process/increased QC.  Honestly, if these units had properly forged/CNC'd internals, they would be INCREDIBLE, cost twice as much, and people would pay.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#19]
It would be nice if I could buy replacement internal parts individually.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So you and you friend have a trigger that you know is faulty/going full auto... and he's going to sell it off somewhere?  Please tell me you are at least sending it in to Fostech for warranty repair first.
View Quote
My friend and I do not have a trigger that goes full auto. It's his trigger to do with as he pleases, so if he wants to sell it, that his business. I suggested he send it back, but he'd rather sell it. I don't believe the problem is with the trigger either, but with the S&W ARs, since the rest of the guns have had no issues, including mine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I bet they go the opposite route by improving key parts, and bumping the price up a $100 per unit to cover the more complex process/increased QC.  Honestly, if these units had properly forged/CNC'd internals, they would be INCREDIBLE, cost twice as much, and people would pay.
View Quote
This is the impression I got as well. As soon as they start putting quality parts in these, it will become a good product. I'd pay for the cnc parts to make this a decent product.

Also, does anyone know if m16 selectors spin 360 degrees?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Hopefully newly designed saftey/selectors are more low profile.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The couple broken hammers I've seen have both been in pistol caliber lowers.  Coincidence?  IDK. But different forces in play in a strait blowback gun, perhaps?  Either way, strange.  Seeing the broken hammers, I'm about 90% confident that we're looking at a MIM part.  Fostect confirmed all parts were bare/uncoated stainless steel, but would not specify the specific casting process.  But again, my money is on MIM.
View Quote
My guess would be that the 9mm blow back guns have way more bolt bounce.  When the hammer drops it is slightly out of battery it hits the edge of the carrier as well as the firing pin. Do that alot and something has to give...

Gunsafe does your hammer  on your 9mm have a line on it where it hits the carrier?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My impression (YMMV) is that they will fix or replace your existing detent cap with the same type of stainless MIM part, hand fitted and guaranteed to properly work free of charge, under warranty.

The new detent cap is an entirely different design, different manufacturing process, more of a CNC part that cheap cast.  FWIW, I believe the bulk of the cost in the Echo setup is intellectual property. For me, if they let owners pay $15 here, or $20 there for better parts when availible, I'm in. I want a forged/properly hardened hammer next.  Better profile/longer trigger down the road.

I'm sceptical of assertions that prices will come down on these anytime soon, or that they will catch up with demand. If the prices in the second-hand market are any indication of what people are willing to pay for a 'auto-like' experience, I bet they go the opposite route by improving key parts, and bumping the price up a $100 per unit to cover the more complex process/increased QC.  Honestly, if these units had properly forged/CNC'd internals, they would be INCREDIBLE, cost twice as much, and people would pay.
View Quote
I think if you get beyond $500 dollars for the ECHO trigger the market will quickly drop off. Sure you have those that can't wait and are paying more but that will only last for so long until orders are all fulfilled. Jan 2017 orders are all now invoiced so they are getting caught up. They need to fix the ECHO problems properly and don't over price the product in the current market. Businesses are already starting to hurt because its a buyers market for now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep, a couple of months, they will be everywhere
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:44:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My guess would be that the 9mm blow back guns have way more bolt bounce.  When the hammer drops it is slightly out of battery it hits the edge of the carrier as well as the firing pin. Do that alot and something has to give...

Gunsafe does your hammer  on your 9mm have a line on it where it hits the carrier?
View Quote
It has a round area from the impact on the bolt. I noticed it while back and I hope it does not crack. I'm keeping an eye on it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:04:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It has a round area from the impact on the bolt. I noticed it while back and I hope it does not crack. I'm keeping an eye on it.
View Quote
So below the round impact point of the firing pin I also have a light impact line that goes accross the hammer. I assume from hitting the back of the carrier due to slow cycling or bcg bounce. It's too high to be a bolt catch hit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#28]
hi fellows,

just thought i`d give an update on my echo. ordered it in Aug of 2016 & received 2nd week of Apr.

there have been quite a few reports on the sloppy fit of the selector among other issues but this one seems to
have slipped thru on the "good" side. although the selector fit is not stiff, it is not mushy either. it moves around the arc
firmly and clicks in place where its supposed to. now, i have only fired around 1K of 5.56 thru it in a combination of 3rd
& semi mode but so far the hammer has not had any issues nor has the selector moved when its not supposed to.

but i must say...the pics of the broken hammer have me worried. i just can`t figure out why Fos. could not have machined
a spec hammer to the dimensions they needed instead of using this cast s**t. hoping mine won`t break but it looks as though
its just a matter of time.

what has been the response of Fos. when a broken hammer has been returned?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Did it help?  I was thinking about hitting mine with a buffer wheel
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah the safety selector was annoying but i took a file to it and rounded the sharp edges
Did it help?  I was thinking about hitting mine with a buffer wheel
yep, fixed.

As far as the selector going all the way around, I believe that it is supposed to.  The groove for the detent to ride in goes all the way around so of course the selector will travel all the way around.  And it makes removing the selector possible.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:52:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Keep in mind, the GOOD FCG's are castings.

The shitty ones are MIM.  
View Quote
well, i guess thats good to know
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

yep, fixed.

As far as the selector going all the way around, I believe that it is supposed to.  The groove for the detent to ride in goes all the way around so of course the selector will travel all the way around.  And it makes removing the selector possible.
View Quote
From what I was told by a buddy who spoke to fostech, the selector was designed to spin 360 degrees. I hate it, but just add it to the list...
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

From what I was told by a buddy who spoke to fostech, the selector was designed to spin 360 degrees. I hate it, but just add it to the list...
View Quote
Is that with the detent and pistol grip installed? Two of mine do NOT spin after installation. Only the one does but it's now waiting to be returned for repair.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So below the round impact point of the firing pin I also have a light impact line that goes accross the hammer. I assume from hitting the back of the carrier due to slow cycling or bcg bounce. It's too high to be a bolt catch hit.
View Quote
I'll take photo of it and post later this afternoon. Hope it does not brake but if it does, back to fostech it will go.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow. Broken cast hammers. I thought they were cast iron parts when the firing pin dented the face of the hammer. Good thing I didn't spend money on another one for my next bulid. Cast iron parts are for airsoft!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#36]
For the price, the trigger should be perfect. So many issues so far, and it seems like paying customers are nothing more than beta testers. Geez...
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#37]
can someone who has both sets of FCG`s ( mim & cast) post a pic side by side?

or at least one who thinks theirs is mim and another who`s is cast.

kinda like to see the surface difference and such.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
can someone who has both sets of FCG`s ( mim & cast) post a pic side by side?

or at least one who thinks theirs is mim and another who`s is cast.

kinda like to see the surface difference and such.
View Quote
I belive the parts are cast with a 200 rms or so  surface finish. Don't look like mim's not smooth enough finish. Either way even s&w uses mim parts in their revolvers... which are not crap imo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hey Muad, how's that video coming along?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. Can you elaborate on this? Thanks for the heads up.
I'll cover it in my video 
Hey Muad, how's that video coming along?
It's been done and edited for weeks. Just needs uploaded to YouTube. 

New job is taking up too much of my time, dangit! 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Will the echo trigger with modified m16 bcg work with a law tactical folder?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Look at their Facebook page.  In a couple months they might catch up with March 2017 orders.  Their wait time is still 6 months for orders place today.  I'd bet you're about a year away (at least!) from seeing them shipping same-week.

Quoted:
Keep in mind, the GOOD FCG's are castings.

The shitty ones are MIM.  
Not entirely true. Shitty MIM and shitty cast might as well be one in the same.  Both can be made to be perfectly servicable parts. It's all a matter of how the parts are heat treated and line QC.  Good MIM is just as strong as good cast.

Quoted:
What has been the response of Fostech when a broken hammer has been returned?
Fostech (so far) stands by their product, and has fixed those few that have broken under warranty.  Provided they continue to do so, and progressively improve upon the product (while allowing owners to upgrade existing trigger packs), I wouldn't hesitate to buy and use one in a 'fun gun'.

Dream list for me is a CNC'd safety detent (check)... FORGED hammer (they're aware of it)... and a longer, more OEM trigger profile (too short/sharp for my liking). Fix those, and it'll be ready for prime time.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#44]
High end merchandise always costs more and is more refined. Not always more reliable though... The more people that spend more money on custom shop guns, the more his bonus is. So of course he wants people to buy his more expensive and more refined guns.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:02:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If what you say is true (which it isn't) Why would the Director of Smith & Wesson's Custom Shop when asked by American Hangunner state MIM may be good enough for standard Smith & Wesson's but it's not good enough for the Custom Shop!

MIM exists for one reason....TO CUT COSTS!
View Quote
Because he's selling a product, and a mystique. And not doing a very good job, considering that statement has been proven false.

Do some research into cast versus MIM. Though it's become a dirty word for some in the firearms industry, there's nothing inherently wrong with MIM.  While it is a cost saving measure when mass producing small, intricate parts, it doesn't mean that quality and strength are sacraficed if the process is properly cooled and heat treated during manufacturing. And unless you go Com-block, I bet theres less that 5% of current manufacturers NOT using it somewhere in their process.

*Contrary to my earier guess, detailed inspection does sort of suggest a rough cast wish machine work after.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#47]
I think that name does ring a bell somewhere in my memory banks.

99% of all mag release buttons... bolt stop/release paddles, gas blocks are MIM in AR parts bins.  I can pretty much garauntee if it was assembled with a parts kit manufactured in the last five years, your AR has some MIM parts.  It's new tech.  Like eveything else, it takes a bit for manufacturers who buy into it to master the process.

If you didnt see my previous edit... I'm changing my bet on the Fostech stuff to cast, anywho. Way too rough to be MIM, and the machine marks are pretty clear on the seer surfaces and disconnects.  As far as the broken hammers, or some showing wear upon impact w/carrier and firing pin... my guess is the heat treat wasnt quite what it should have been.

But Fostech is standing by their product so far, and man is this thing simply FUN to shoot!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:38:07 AM EDT
[#48]
What do you guys think that little detent cap is cast or MIM? It's crap whichever it might be.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:31:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What do you guys think that little detent cap is cast or MIM? It's crap whichever it might be.
View Quote
Unless the problem is that they are breaking into pieces, MIM vs Cast is irrelevant. It is a design or machining issue.

The only actual problem with MIM is that they are prone to shearing because of defects in their internal structure, and unlike traditional castings or forging it is nearly impossible to estimate a lifetime for the parts. It also needs to be considered that not all MIM is equivalent, there are many different alloys that can be used and like cast or forged parts the heat treat is very important. If done correctly, with the appropriate alloy and heat treat, there really isn't anything inherently bad about the MIM process other than defects being hard to detect
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#50]
update with my earlier suggestion and a stiff detent spring the selector is fixed NICELY! definate clicks into s f b..(e echo) 90% as good as the milspec which is good  im 100% on this now till the hammer shears off... lol
Page / 31
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top