Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 31
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unless the problem is that they are breaking into pieces, MIM vs Cast is irrelevant. It is a design or machining issue.

The only actual problem with MIM is that they are prone to shearing because of defects in their internal structure, and unlike traditional castings or forging it is nearly impossible to estimate a lifetime for the parts. It also needs to be considered that not all MIM is equivalent, there are many different alloys that can be used and like cast or forged parts the heat treat is very important. If done correctly, with the appropriate alloy and heat treat, there really isn't anything inherently bad about the MIM process other than defects being hard to detect
View Quote
Thanks I'm not to familiar with the MIM process.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
update with my earlier suggestion and a stiff detent spring the selector is fixed NICELY! definate clicks into s f b..(e echo) 90% as good as the milspec which is good  im 100% on this now till the hammer shears off... lol
View Quote
thats great! glad its now working for you better.

I had fostech call me back today and mine is going back to them for repair. Its sounds like what my third one is doing is not uncommon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Am I the only one having an issue with lite primer strikes?  I've tried 3 different types of ammo and the problem has not been resolved. 1st range session I was using the fostech carrier the h2 buffer that was previously in the gun and some reman from a local guy.  Gun functioned flawlessly in semi but would fail to ignite like every third or fourth round in echo mode. 2nd range trip I put a carbine buffer in the gun along with a modified cryptic coatings mystic black m16 bcg. This time shooting fed American eagle. No malfunctions in semi but I would still get lite primer strikes in echo mode.   Took the trigger apart. Inspected parts and reinstalled.  Hit the range with different mags and wolf gold and I'm still getting lite primer strikes.  I have not contacted fostech yet however I am very frustrated.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Gpoche92

Did your trigger fly appart while u put it in? Did u get it back together correctly?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here are some pics of frt and back hyperfire springs.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/matthewjbooth/echo%20trigger/hyperfire%20front.jpg

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/matthewjbooth/echo%20trigger/hyperfire%20back.jpg
View Quote
Gpoche92 -

The hyperfire spring cups should be in this orientation. If they are the opposite way the springs will bind up a little against the disconnector.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]
On the original install no it did not. On the second install I completely disassembled the trigger pack inspected all of the components then carefully reassembled the fcg and reinstalled it into my lower.  Going to tear it down again tomorrow afternoon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Not saying this to be an ass but...

Are u sure the hammer was falling in echo when it did not fire? If the trigger is not pulled all the way back you won't get your second shot.

*editted*
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not saying this to be an ass but...

Are u sure the hammer was falling in echo when it did not fire? If the hammer is not pulled all the way back you won't get your second shot until the hammer is pulled all the way back.
View Quote
valid comment but I am sure it is lite primer strikes as per firing pin marks on the primers.  I understand that the trigger needs to be pulled all the way back in order to engage the second disconnecter. In each instance I gave the trigger a second pull and release in a safe direction to ensure it was not operator error, then I put the firearm on safe then eject the round.  Checking to make sure it was not a squib and then inspecting the live round. Each time there is obvious firing pin indentations on the primer.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Okies then check the cups on the hyperfire springs are not on backwards and binding. I put mine togther incorrectly once and it would bind on the disconnector during use but still ran. If on correctly then it sounds like a warranty issue. I ran the trigger as it came from fostech for 500 rounds without issue and then installed the hyperfire extra power green springs and a 7.62x39 firing pin because i shoot mostly wolf 223. Sucks u are having issues.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
valid comment but I am sure it is lite primer strikes as per firing pin marks on the primers.  I understand that the trigger needs to be pulled all the way back in order to engage the second disconnecter. In each instance I gave the trigger a second pull and release in a safe direction to ensure it was not operator error, then I put the firearm on safe then eject the round.  Checking to make sure it was not a squib and then inspecting the live round. Each time there is obvious firing pin indentations on the primer.
View Quote
you can get firing pin indentations by the round just chambering

i agree with dubtap it does suck that your having issues
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

you can get firing pin indentations by the round just chambering

i agree with dubtap it does suck that your having issues
View Quote
But shouldn't the hammer fall when I did the second pull and release if I failed to completely pull the trigger far enough back the first time?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes your correct. It should reset itself and fire if u keep completeing a full pull and release.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok i just pulled the take down pin and snapped a pic.  This is the orientation that I am running the springs in.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#14]
That is how it's supposed to look. Any chance u are having serious bolt carrier bounce? Would have to be pretty extreme though...
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:33:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I highly doubt it.  The barrel is a 16 inch mid length gov profile from ballistic advantage.  From my experience ballistic advantage barrels are pretty spot on as far as gas port goes. The gun was also ran with a h2 buffer at first.  I bought the echo because it was supposed to work with out turning.  Am I missing something obvious? I'm really scratching my head here.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#16]
H2 not a bolt bounce issue...

I would give fostech a call and see what they say. I am sure they will make it right. I have called them a few times and they are nice to deal with.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Going to call tomorrow. After looking it over again while watching several YouTube videos I can't visually find the problem.  Could it be the firing pin? I used the same firing pin and bolt in both carriers.  I've ran it with an sd-e through 700 rounds without an issue.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#18]
If it works in semi and with other triggers it should work on echo. I think your the 1st person we have had on here with light strike issues. Please let us know how fostech handles this when u call.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Just got off the phone with Pete from fostech.
Great guy to speak with btw.

He ask me to make sure my gas block was properly lined up over the gas port and it didn't walk off.  Then he asked if I had an h3 buffer that I could try it with.  I told him that I didn't have one and I don't know of anyone local to barrow one so he sent me an email with return instructions.

" If you send it UPS Ground (Adult Signature Required), and we find the problem you are describing to be a defect with the trigger, we will be happy to cover your shipping costs.  If we find something going on with the gun, we will give you a call and see how you want to proceed.  We should have no trouble getting it working flawlessly, and send it back to you.

Please print out and include the attached Repair Form.

Thanks!  Looking forward to getting your trigger back to you, fully functional!

Pete".

I will verify proper gas block alignment when I get home this evening. If everything is correct on my end I will ship it out tomorrow morning.

(Edit). I would like to include that the barrel was not dimpled from the factory. I dimpled the barrel myself using a brd engineering jig. I am using a bcm lopro gas block that was torqued to spec using loctite.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Okay, I got my trigger this morning and dropped it in, but even pushing the trigger lock forward and holding the trigger I cannot get my upper to close.

Is there more to it that I am missing?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I highly doubt it.  The barrel is a 16 inch mid length gov profile from ballistic advantage.  From my experience ballistic advantage barrels are pretty spot on as far as gas port goes. The gun was also ran with a h2 buffer at first.  I bought the echo because it was supposed to work with out turning.  Am I missing something obvious? I'm really scratching my head here.
View Quote
Mine is a 16" middie from Armalite.  It suffered from bolt bounce and Spikes ST T2 fixed it right now. 
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Okay, I got my trigger this morning and dropped it in, but even pushing the trigger lock forward and holding the trigger I cannot get my upper to close.

Is there more to it that I am missing?
View Quote
Push the hammer down, push the disconnector forward and then pull the trigger and close. 
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just got off the phone with Pete from fostech.
Great guy to speak with btw.

He ask me to make sure my gas block was properly lined up over the gas port and it didn't walk off.  Then he asked if I had an h3 buffer that I could try it with.  I told him that I didn't have one and I don't know of anyone local to barrow one so he sent me an email with return instructions.

" If you send it UPS Ground (Adult Signature Required), and we find the problem you are describing to be a defect with the trigger, we will be happy to cover your shipping costs.  If we find something going on with the gun, we will give you a call and see how you want to proceed.  We should have no trouble getting it working flawlessly, and send it back to you.

Please print out and include the attached Repair Form.

Thanks!  Looking forward to getting your trigger back to you, fully functional!

Pete".

I will verify proper gas block alignment when I get home this evening. If everything is correct on my end I will ship it out tomorrow morning.

(Edit). I would like to include that the barrel was not dimpled from the factory. I dimpled the barrel myself using a brd engineering jig. I am using a bcm lopro gas block that was torqued to spec using loctite.
View Quote
I would check my bcg and make sure it's closing smoothly and not binding on everything.  Any time the carrier doesn't fully close it will give a similar malfunction where the carrier doesn't get 100% depressed until the hammer hits it.  I had a worn out spring in my M16 in Iraq that had issues chambering the first round in a magazine and I would get light strikes.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#24]
The selector in my trigger is hard to turn.  It feels like its bound up some how.  I have it in a mega billet lower, so I doubt its the lower.  And I didnt have any issues with the last selector.

When I got my first one I had the same problem.  They sent me a new one and it was a little better, but still feels like its in a bind.  You can barely feel it click in semi and into echo.  

It works, just not like a 500 dollar trigger should.

Now the BFSIII in my MPX is just awesome!  Should have bought 2 of those.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The selector in my trigger is hard to turn.  It feels like its bound up some how.  I have it in a mega billet lower, so I doubt its the lower.  And I didnt have any issues with the last selector.

When I got my first one I had the same problem.  They sent me a new one and it was a little better, but still feels like its in a bind.  You can barely feel it click in semi and into echo.  

It works, just not like a 500 dollar trigger should.

Now the BFSIII in my MPX is just awesome!  Should have bought 2 of those.
View Quote
When the selector binds is the trigger lock pushed up against the side of the trigger pocket? May be a tight fire control pocket. If you loosen the screws on each side of the selector and just barely snug them does it get any better?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I got back my third ECHO trigger that had problems from fostech on Saturday and they fixed it. However there are some very nice improvements on the trigger. The hammer lock has changed in design and it looks like the detent cap is now CNC machined. The selector now feels like a normal AR selector no more mushy feel. 100% improvement on that. It also does not spin. They noted in the return that the selector might spin but i could not make it do it during normal rifle operation. The ECHO mode now is much easier to do. I do not have to pull back as much on the pull fire movement in order to get the release fire pull to work like I have to do on the other 2 echo trigger I have installed. I'm not sure if its the design on the hammer lock or something else they might have done. Whatever it is I like it! It does dry operation just like the BFS III now in the binary/ECHO mode. I wish I had a device to measure the trigger pounds but it feels light in semi and echo mode (~ 4-5 lbs). Now I need to get it some range time to make sure all of this dry firing is the same a live fire.  Here are photos of the new designed trigger lock and the CNC cap

Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That sure LOOKS like a MIM sprue.

https://i.imgur.com/jbFDWOa.jpg
View Quote
The trigger lock did not change in the material used only in the shape. Maybe both the trigger lock and the old detent cap were MIM but I'm not familiar with that process. The detent cap is CNC machined and much better than the old one. I wish I could get the CNC caps for my other two triggers. Even though my other two are not that bad they are still sort of mushy
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#29]
New trigger lock modified to work with 22lr auto sear trip?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
New trigger lock modified to work with 22lr auto sear trip?
View Quote
I have no idea about the trigger lock for 22lr but these improvements really helped the 556
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:34:27 AM EDT
[#31]
my Echo safety selector wasn't mushy at all, and didn't spin.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
my Echo safety selector wasn't mushy at all, and didn't spin.
View Quote
On the other two triggers it's not that bad but it's not like the BFS3 or a standard selector on the feel. The third ECHO is the only spinner I had and now third echo is butter with the cnc detent cap.

Did you get your 9mm working with the ECHO? I could not see your photos yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Did you get your 9mm working with the ECHO? I could not see your photos yesterday.
View Quote
I went back to the BFS.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#34]
So is there an update that improves the trigger and prevents the safety from spinning?

Seriously consindering another bfs3 if not.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:30:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So is there an update that improves the trigger and prevents the safety from spinning?

View Quote
See my photos above. Its CNC detent cap. The selector is now 100% like a normal selector
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I went back to the BFS.
View Quote
I'd try it again. The ECHO will run better than the BFS in the AR9. I tried both in my AR9 and the ECHO was on top. I would not even recommend the BFS for an AR9 anymore.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
See my photos above. Its CNC detent cap. The selector is now 100% like a normal selector
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I'm wondering if they have recently updated the detent cap again. I have the cnc cap as well, but mine still rotates 360 degrees.

Like, safe and semi feels normal, but then going to echo feels like crap and will then rotate 360 degrees if you keep pushing it around
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well, I'm wondering if they have recently updated the detent cap again. I have the cnc cap as well, but mine still rotates 360 degrees.

Like, safe and semi feels normal, but then going to echo feels like crap and will then rotate 360 degrees if you keep pushing it around
View Quote
I can't get this one to do that. It feels good in all positions. Does your look like mine I photographed
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I can't get this one to do that. It feels good in all positions. Does your look like mine I photographed
View Quote
Yes, but I can't tell by those angles. Mine looks identical, but it has a channel all the way around the detent cap almost as though it was meant to spin 360 degrees. Does yours have that?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes, but I can't tell by those angles. Mine looks identical, but it has a channel all the way around the detent cap almost as though it was meant to spin 360 degrees. Does yours have that?
View Quote
I think mine is a redesign because this one does not have a channel all the way around the cap. Thats odd Fostech made one like that with a channel all the way around, no wonder it spins 360
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I just got mine in dated 05/24/2017 and I also have the new safety detent. Works perfect
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just got mine in dated 05/24/2017 and I also have the new safety detent. Works perfect
View Quote
Does yours have the same cap detent as mine? With the channel only in the areas between safe, semi, echo?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes and it functions flawlessly
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Good to hear they are working better now, price has sure come down on them, gunbroker has a bunch @buy now for $479
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
so you can have a malfunction every 4 rounds?  hell no, safety going all the way around has never bothered me, works fine
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes and it functions flawlessly
View Quote
Awesome. I have a feeling all new ECHOs will include this cnc cap
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm waiting for the price to go down and the kinks to be worked out; I'm considering buying one as a present to myself for getting my engineering degree next May. Damn-near-FA with a proper three-position selector for under $500 is a hell of a temptation.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#48]
How much lower can/will they go? Website still says 6 month wait, $475 plus shipping. Thinking about the buy it now for $479 on gun broker. I wonder if these are the latest versions also
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I just ordered one May 12 and it took 6 weeks from date of order to doorstep
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I saw that it also said 6 month backorder but their Facebook looked like the wait was around 3 months. I purchased mine around 6/14 and it mentioned 30-60 days wait. Now they updated their lead time to only 30 days on the website.
Page / 31
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top