Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 31
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Optics planet who said "Fostech is our strategic partner" bla bla bla was full of shit.  I ordered October 5th....still nothing.  Now on their sight they shortened the estimate time even though they haven't even shipped ones ordered 2 months ago.

:/
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I canceled at optics planet but found one elsewhere.

Got it today....unpackaged it...and they put in 2 trigger locks and but no selector screw :/ It is marked inspected 11/30.  Sent email to Fostech asking for correct screw.

Ok...trip to hardware store...find a screw that works...back to install.

As careful as I was...when I went to install trigger lock I hit trigger and hyperfire springs go flying...one goes behind work bench.  Finally find it...put everything together, get assembled and it won't fire on semi or echo.   Take apart and found I had one of the little legs out to far that the hyperfire spring sets on...got it fixed, put back together, and YES everything function tests good.  I will be testing live fire tomorrow.

Pull on semi is decent, some creep, but not as bad as some mil spec triggers.  Not sure if I would give the edge to the echo over bfs for semi, need some range time.

Pull to get echo to activate is definitely more but didn't seem to crazy.  Will report more after range session.

The safety is super stiff.  Yes mine is newer with the cnc part...but still super stiff.  About 100 back and forth and it is better.

I have a BFSiii that runs 100% with a lightweight bcg but I got the echo for my cmmg guard 45....because the echo doesn't allow hammer follow I figured less chance of OAB.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#3]
For those who have been shooting the Echo for a while, how is the actual practical accuracy when firing bursts? What would you say the "effective range" for Echo mode is for a torso sized target?
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Echo works great in CMMG guard 45acp :)

It is definitely a little different then the bfs with having to pull thru the first break to activate the echo, but as many have mentioned, the positive is it does not allow hammer follow.

After shooting both I would agree, a slight edge on semi mode goes to the Echo.

There are things I like better about BFS and but other things I like better about the echo.  So I guess nothing new to report other then confirmation of previous findings

https://youtu.be/VhvMM6mMecI
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those who have been shooting the Echo for a while, how is the actual practical accuracy when firing bursts? What would you say the "effective range" for Echo mode is for a torso sized target?
View Quote
I think it depends more on your gun.  If you have a real flat shooting AR the distance is going to be more then a choppy short AR.

That being said, it is great for 2 round bursts.  Anything 25 yards and under double taps on torso is easy all day.

10 yards and in you can dump mags on torso all day.

50 yards with bipod or sandbags is good to go.

If you are skilled or with practice I would think you can have even better results....and get to 100.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It is definitely a little different then the bfs with having to pull thru the first break to activate the echo, but as many have mentioned, the positive is it does not allow hammer follow.

There are things I like better about BFS and but other things I like better about the echo.  So I guess nothing new to report other then confirmation of previous findings

View Quote
I found substituting  a nickel-teflon hammer and gentle polishing of the BFS makes a noticeable difference. I now prefer it to the echo.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m curious to see how fast my Fostech Echo 2 and BFS3 can run with this little guy...

Whiskey Arms LBC aluminum BCG

Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I found substituting  a nickel-teflon hammer and gentle polishing of the BFS makes a noticeable difference. I now prefer it to the echo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried switching my hammer with and ALG hammer....it would not get thru all the safety checks.  One if the checks where you have to move selector with trigger pulled it would drop....the same hammer worked fine with other trigger sets....something must have been just a touch off so I went back to standard.

One thing I would add is I prefer the BFS operation better as far as the second shot....the echo you have to retrain your finger, it's a different style of shooting to have to pull thru the break....I am not in love with this as I am a fan of consistancy.  The BFS I do not have to tweak my normal shooting style.
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Props to fostech CS.  They sent me out the missing screw fast, and included some swag.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got the one yesterday that I ordered in early October from Optic Planet.  Got in before the price increase.
ML
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#11]
an update to my bud spring replacement.  the semi trigger has turned out so nice i think i'm going to let it ride like this for a while.

my wife got me a wheeler trigger pull gauge for xmas so i was finally able to measure my pull weights

max and min in semi.  i don't know why i only did six pulls on this one , i usually do 10 for an average.

max and min in echo
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 2:30:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
an update to my bud spring replacement.  the semi trigger has turned out so nice i think i'm going to let it ride like this for a while.

my wife got me a wheeler trigger pull gauge for xmas so i was finally able to measure my pull weights

max and min in semi.  i don't know why i only did six pulls on this one , i usually do 10 for an average.
https://s19.postimg.org/7c3s7r1gj/20180104_011955.jpg

max and min in echo
https://s19.postimg.org/m9lwjo04j/20180104_013438.jpg
View Quote
you got a link or product number for the spring you used?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

you got a link or product number for the spring you used?
View Quote
sorry for the late reply , i'll try to get a few pics up tomorrow of the spring

the spring was from a pack of springs i picked up at home depot , then cut it down to get the trigger pull to where it is

i've had the gun out about a half a dozen times since the spring change and it's run flawless
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Agree. Even after gently polishing and green springs I find the BFS feel superior, especially after swapping the standard trigger for a nickel teflon and gentle polishing. Build and material quality of Echo is not confidence inspiring.
View Quote
So you just swapped out a milspec trigger with the soft one fostech has in the echo unit?  It that works we all definitely need to do this, can you post a pic of yours with the milspec hammer installed?
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a gen 1 echo, I did the spring mod and I have the gen 2 trigger lock. I’m wanting to do the bushing mod to shorten the reset. What common easy to find materials should I use or is the bushing mod still valid?

Also should I upgrade the hiperfire springs? I heard about green 7.62x39 springs? What will these do for me?

Also I have a 7.5” Adams Arms piston upper along with a shortened bolt carrier with a safety harbor firearms kompact entry stock. They custom cut the carrier for this upper for me. I believe the new gen 2 trigger lock will clear the buffer. This kind of buffer helps keep the carrier from jumping around with such a short carrier. I know the FA BFS3 benefits from a lightweight carrier, does the fostech echo benefit from the shortened lightened carrier? Also I know others who have put in h2 buffers, do you all think I will need to replace some steel weights with tungsten weights to make this an H2 buffer? A 3 pack of tungsten weights are cheap off amazon. Below are some pictures with the shortened buffer tube, shortened piston bolt carrier. Btw.....it’s a form 1 sbr.

This piston bolt carrier started its life as an m16 profile carrier. Now with all that weight gone, it’s super light.

Form 1 sbr

SHF Kompact entry stock

Bottom of carrier with buffer inserted

Back/underside of cut carrier

Top of carrier with buffer inserted.

Whole carrier shortened/cut
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a gen 1 echo, I did the spring mod and I have the gen 2 trigger lock. I’m wanting to do the bushing mod to shorten the reset. What common easy to find materials should I use or is the bushing mod still valid?

Also should I upgrade the hiperfire springs? I heard about green 7.62x39 springs? What will these do for me?

Also I have an adams Arms piston upper along with a shortened bolt carrier with a safety harbor firearms kompact entry stock. They custom cut the carrier for this upper for me. I believe the new gen 2 trigger lock will clear the buffer. This kind of buffer helps keep the carrier from jumping around with such a short carrier. I know the FA BFS3 benefits from a lightweight carrier, does the fostech echo benefit from the shortened lightened carrier? Also I know others who have put in h2 buffers, do you all think I will need to replace some steel weights with tungsten weights to make this an H2 buffer? A 3 pack of tungsten weights are cheap off amazon. Below are some pictures with the shortened buffer tube, shortened piston bolt carrier.

This piston bolt carrier started its life as an m16 profile carrier. Now with all that weight gone, it’s super light.

SHF Kompact entry stock
https://s26.postimg.org/g6iw4j1dl/ED6_F5945-8_A8_A-474_C-865_E-9_D7_A100937_D7.jpg

Bottom of carrier with buffer inserted
https://s26.postimg.org/6lz9hnz6x/D8_CB2619-_BEEA-41_F0-91_CF-15_E892264766.jpg

Back/underside of cut carrier
https://s26.postimg.org/av3zjua61/2628_E4_B0-64_CA-4884-_B396-36_A21_B3_FEB60.jpg

Top of carrier with buffer inserted.
https://s26.postimg.org/p1jqf30gp/016122_F9-_B3_A5-4_A9_B-_AD71-6_C5_B1_B4387_CC.jpg

Whole carrier shortened/cut
https://s26.postimg.org/s8e9yoq1l/5_D59_E172-5614-42_A8-90_F2-921_DBA5716_D6.jpg
View Quote
With the KES did you have any problems with the spring being too weak? Mine didn't have the strength to close the bolt fully with the echo trigger installed, I ended up cutting a carbine spring down and it solved my issues.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

With the KES did you have any problems with the spring being too weak? Mine didn't have the strength to close the bolt fully with the echo trigger installed, I ended up cutting a carbine spring down and it solved my issues.
View Quote
No I haven’t had any issues. However I’ve only put 2 mags in almost 2 to 3 years of owning this. I’m sure once I throw my echo trigger in it, any bugs may come out of the wood works. I have noticed that pulling the charging handle back and releasing doesn’t have as much oomph as a regular Carbine ar15. How many coils did you cut? I only ask just in case I have to do the same. I’m wondering is changing out some steel buffer weights with tungsten weights will help?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 12:25:55 AM EDT
[#18]
The green hiperfire springs didn't do anything for me, it actually made it less reliable and more finicky. The spring mod has been the best mod for me so far
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 4:30:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The green hiperfire springs didn't do anything for me, it actually made it less reliable and more finicky. The spring mod has been the best mod for me so far
View Quote
thanks. How do you feel about the bushing mod to shorten the reset?
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Bueller? Bueller?

**Crickets**

A website with thousands of people. Thousands of these triggers sold and it’s like the thread died?

I’m hoping someone who is experienced with these mods can tell me if doing the spring mod is enough alone or if I should be doing to bushing mod with the echo 2 trigger lock??
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:33:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bueller? Bueller?

**Crickets**

’m hoping someone who is experienced with these mods can tell me if doing the spring mod is enough alone or if I should be doing to bushing mod with the echo 2 trigger lock??
View Quote
Ha, sorry man, gotta work.

I didn't notice that much of a difference with the bushing mod when I did it. The spring mod made the trigger so much nicer I didn't bother with the bushing mod. I though the trigger was just about perf ft with just the spring. If I could find a metal bushing that fit, I would try it again with the spring, but it would just be for academic reasons. I wasn't a huge fan of putting a plastic bushing in my trigger
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Eh, fired them before. I prefer Geissele triggers. Some I can tune to fire about as fast as a binary
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bueller? Bueller?

**Crickets**

A website with thousands of people. Thousands of these triggers sold and it’s like the thread died?

I’m hoping someone who is experienced with these mods can tell me if doing the spring mod is enough alone or if I should be doing to bushing mod with the echo 2 trigger lock??
View Quote
Hell no, leave the damn thing alone, works fine as is
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ha, sorry man, gotta work.

I didn't notice that much of a difference with the bushing mod when I did it. The spring mod made the trigger so much nicer I didn't bother with the bushing mod. I though the trigger was just about perf ft with just the spring. If I could find a metal bushing that fit, I would try it again with the spring, but it would just be for academic reasons. I wasn't a huge fan of putting a plastic bushing in my trigger
View Quote
That is how i kind of felt about the bushing. I just wasn’t sure about it to be honest.

I did the spring change myself the other night, I did not need to take the whole thing apart. I just flipped that lever up that the spring goes into and used a dental pick to unhook it at the base. Came right out and I put the after market spring in with the same dental hook. 45 seconds, except the 2 minutes it took to get the trigger out. However putting it back in tool about 5 minutes since I let the main springs and guide rods go flying across the room! lol.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

thanks. How do you feel about the bushing mod to shorten the reset?
View Quote
I got mine about a month ago (after being backordered at Optics Planet for months) so it's the latest version.

The bushing mod did not work for me at all.

I replaced the back up disconnector spring and the pull dropped about 3 lbs in semi (to 3lbs 5 oz) and echo is now 4 lbs 12 oz.

Still not 100% so I am still experimenting with what works best re: mags, buffer, buffer springs, etc.  The selector was super stiff so I clipped the detent spring a few coils and it worked fine with my 300BLK upper but when I switched to 5.56, the selector flips itself to binary when I fire a single round with the selector in the Semi position. My hand is not touching the selector. I will try a slightly stronger spring and see if that fixes it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been searching for a post by someone having the same issue as I am.  My Gen 1 Echo is doing the same thing.  It's double firing in semi mode.  Have you found an issue or maybe a fix for it?  I contacted Fostech and they said to go ahead and send it in and they would repair it.  Let me know if you've learned anymore about what's going on
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've been searching for a post by someone having the same issue as I am.  My Gen 1 Echo is doing the same thing.  It's double firing in semi mode.  Have you found an issue or maybe a fix for it?  I contacted Fostech and they said to go ahead and send it in and they would repair it.  Let me know if you've learned anymore about what's going on
View Quote
Is it completely stock? Or have you done a spring/bushing/etc modification? And by doubling, do you mean firing on the pull and release, or you're getting two shots on the pull? If it's the first, it sounds like a selector issue.

ETA: if you did, I would definitely return it to stock before sending it in. I wouldn't want to run into a case where they won't touch it because of voiding the warranty
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 2:01:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I’m having an issue with my Gen 1 Echo Trigger. Hopefully someone can help me because I am lost and Fostech hasn’t replied to any of my emails. My rifle doesn’t fire while in semi, the trigger is stiff as if it is still in safe. The only way I can fire in semi is if I have the safety selector in between semi and echo. I have noticed that the rear trigger lock does not move at all when switching from safe to fire, it only moves when switching to Echo. And I have a lot of light hammer strikes, I’ve swapped the echo out for a standard trigger and my rifle fires flawlessly. Where should I start? Is anyone else having this same issue?
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I just sent you an email on this. Having the EXACT same problem
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:29:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Are you sure safety selector is installed correctly? Put in the long part first in echo mode then install the other side. Turn the selector to safe and then screw in the screw.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Did they fix the safety selector over rotation problem
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No I haven’t had any issues. However I’ve only put 2 mags in almost 2 to 3 years of owning this. I’m sure once I throw my echo trigger in it, any bugs may come out of the wood works. I have noticed that pulling the charging handle back and releasing doesn’t have as much oomph as a regular Carbine ar15. How many coils did you cut? I only ask just in case I have to do the same. I’m wondering is changing out some steel buffer weights with tungsten weights will help?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@waynelte I'm so sorry, I didn't see your question. I cut it so the modified spring is the halfway point between the kes spring and a standard carbine spring, I'll try and upload a picture asap.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@waynelte I'm so sorry, I didn't see your question. I cut it so the modified spring is the halfway point between the kes spring and a standard carbine spring, I'll try and upload a picture asap.
View Quote
It sounds like you lined up the KES spring and the carbine spring next to each other and cut the carbine spring smack dad in the middle between the length of the 2 springs. Im thinking i may go ahead and just do this so I won't have any issues. I have the 2 springs that came with my franklin armory binary trigger, I think 1 is a medium and the other is a heavy spring. I might cut the medium spring? However i may need to cut an extra coil off that one since its stronger than a carbine spring.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It sounds like you lined up the KES spring and the carbine spring next to each other and cut the carbine spring smack dad in the middle between the length of the 2 springs. Im thinking i may go ahead and just do this so I won't have any issues. I have the 2 springs that came with my franklin armory binary trigger, I think 1 is a medium and the other is a heavy spring. I might cut the medium spring? However i may need to cut an extra coil off that one since its stronger than a carbine spring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, that's exactly what I did.

Edit:Here you go.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Anyone else having these issues with there echo?
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#38]
It looks a lot like copper hydroxide (blue) or copper carbonate (green) can't tell if its blue or green.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 3:23:13 PM EDT
[#39]
was this used in a suppressed AR?
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#40]
What did you use for lube? I've never seen anything like that. My trigger pack is still the same, barring carbon here and there.

Did you fire any ammunition with corrosive powder maybe?

Edit: My hammer is not dented or cracked after a lot of heavy usage.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I used pb blaster on my suppressor but the compressed aired it out, beyond that its slip 2000 or clp for lube. This green stuff happens from a little over 1000 rounds between two range trips and cleanings.

Since I'm wanted a longer trigger blade for my echo I had to take it out the lower to ship it back.  thats when I discovered how bad the issue was. I've already sent it back to the manufacturer for the trigger work so hopefully they take a look at the hammer and corrosion any fix it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:51:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I used pb blaster on my suppressor but the compressed aired it out, beyond that its slip 2000 or clp for lube. This green stuff happens from a little over 1000 rounds between two range trips and cleanings.

Since I'm wanted a longer trigger blade for my echo I had to take it out the lower to ship it back.  thats when I discovered how bad the issue was. I've already sent it back to the manufacturer for the trigger work so hopefully they take a look at the hammer and corrosion any fix it.
View Quote
Is Fostech retrofitting long trigger blades now?  I don't see any mention of this on their website.  Is there a cost if you already have an echo?  I have one but its still in the package unopened but I already know I would prefer a standard length blade compared to the short one the comes with the echo.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#43]
The longer trigger bow us available i just called and ordered the first one they will install and ship back for around 40 bucks call for specific pricing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The longer trigger bow us available i just called and ordered the first one they will install and ship back for around 40 bucks call for specific pricing.
View Quote
What is this long trigger blade you speak of?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What is this long trigger blade you speak of?
View Quote
It's a longer trigger bow to make it more like the mil spec i guess, don't know much else, will update with pics as soon as it arrives they are just shipping me the part so i can install it myself.

As far as i know I was literally the first, not even on their website, they had to enter a new part number into their system to be able to send it

Disclaimer I've already had this trigger completely apart a few times so I'm confident in reassembly, if your not, just let them do it
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's a longer trigger bow to make it more like the mil spec i guess, don't know much else, will update with pics as soon as it arrives they are just shipping me the part so i can install it myself.

As far as i know I was literally the first, not even on their website, they had to enter a new part number into their system to be able to send it

Disclaimer I've already had this trigger completely apart a few times so I'm confident in reassembly, if your not, just let them do it
View Quote
I wonder if they will retro fit at no cost if you have a new echo still in the package?  Or just swap it out for the new one.  I assume they are eventually going to start shipping all echos with the new longer trigger blade.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:30:49 AM EDT
[#48]
I would be a buyer if they start shipping them with long triggers and hardened hammers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I would be a buyer if they start shipping them with long triggers and hardened hammers. tool steel disconnectors, hammer locks, hammers, and triggers.
View Quote
I am not interested in buying one if it's "soft"
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:24:53 PM EDT
[#50]
I've seen reports mim parts are within 3-5% the strength of standard but with a higher failure rate due to fracturing or micro fissures due to the process of casting them. With that said I've ran the shit out of mine with no issues, so i guess it's more of a lottery with these, anyone have any references on the 3-5% thing i herd of a while ago?
Page / 31
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top