Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2018 11:54:21 PM EDT
I'll start this topic off by saying I used to be a die hard Noveske fanboy. I bought every Noveske branded product possible for my AR-15 builds. I was fortunate enough to be able to meet John and some of the guys at Noveske back in the day at some local shoots, 3-guns, etc. when I first got into shooting and I was 100% sold on their rifles.

Now, my issue with them started when I purchased their Recce complete upper back in late 2016 to finish off another build. The upper functioned flawlessly for me. The one problem with it was that the FSB was significantly canted to the point that my Troy backup sight was adjusted almost all the way to the left to be sighted in.

I emailed Noveske about the issue but received no response. I continued to email them every now and then whenever I remembered that I hadn't heard back from them. A month ago, after over a year of trying to get a hold of them, I finally received a response which amounted to "take it to a gunsmith". Also, at this time, I had emailed Primary Arms (where I purchased the upper) and they were able to contact the director of sales at Noveske. The next day I received an email from Noveske saying they would now swap out the barrel. So I sent the complete upper in and requested a low profile gas block version of the barrel I had as to avoid another FSB issue.

Continuted with reply:
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Cont.

The upper was sent back completely disassembled so I brought it to Oregon Rifleworks to buy a new handguard and just slap everything together quickly for me. The gunsmith there noticed that once the gas block was pinned to the barrel it was canted. We measured the gas block to be rotated off-center by about 6mm which we both realized would limit gas flow. I sent one barrel in with a canted FSB and now received another barrel with the exact same issue but just with a low profile gas block instead.

I have not received a response to my last 3 emails to Noveske so I assume I'm out of luck on them fixing anything. I took the pin out of the gas block and it is just being held in place by the single set screw to be able to straighten everything out.

To me their level of customer service and the apparent lack of QC (as the gunsmith had noted that this isn't the first time he's seen issues with recent Noveske barrels) is unacceptable, especially for a $450 barrel from "The Greatest Gun Manufacturer Ever". I know I won't be purchasing anything Noveske again.

I will update this thread if Noveske responds to me and have some low quality pictures of the barrels I can upload if there's interest
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...I took the pin out of the gas block and it is just being held in place by the single set screw to be able to straighten everything out...
View Quote
Was the barrel not dimpled? That is a pretty big sign to me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Was the barrel not dimpled? That is a pretty big sign to me.
View Quote
Barrel was not dimpled, just drilled to accept the pinned gas block.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#4]
A $450 barrel with problems like that? That's pretty sad and the customer service seems pathetic at best.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A $450 barrel with problems like that? That's pretty sad and the customer service seems pathetic at best.
View Quote
Not one but Two $450 barrels with the same problem. Sad indeed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I've noticed such issues with their SS barrels but have yet to see them with their CHF barrels.

I actually had a cosmetic issue with a set of Noveske MURs I ordered direct from them and provided pictures to Noveske as proof. Took a few weeks for them to get back to me but I got my refund.
CS post John is definitely lacking
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 1:59:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I have never purchased a completed rifle or upper from Noveske. 2 barrels and TNTC stripped uppers, lowers and parts have all been flawless except for one bolt which had some face imperfections so I sent it back, next day response, no questions asked service from them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 4:46:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

CS post John is definitely lacking
View Quote
That's what I've noticed as well. Most of the threads you'll find searching for Noveske CS and QC issues are around the time of his passing so most people excuse the issues. Unfortunately, it seems like the the issues continue even well after that transitional period.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:19:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not one but Two $450 barrels with the same problem. Sad indeed.
View Quote
Dollars to a doughnut all they did was send you the same barrel with a different gas block. The probably considered the block the problem.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Noveske is dead to me.  After their ridiculous response to an issue I had with one of their shorty VIS uppers, I'll never buy from them again.

They have fallen far from where they were when John was still with us and Sheri was managing things.

Thankfully for me Vltor stepped up and took care of me,  which I'm sure they would have done if Noveske had bought it to their attention.  That's what infuriated me most, it would have practically cost them nothing to deal with it.  For a $1700 upper you'd expect support but all I got was DGAF.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Dollars to a doughnut all they did was send you the same barrel with a different gas block. The probably considered the block the problem.
View Quote
This is what I was thinking also.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ve gotten responses pretty fast from them. They’ve been through a couple of ceos so maybe thats why theres been problems. How long ago was this? I emailed them last month. Got a response to the first email that same day.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
They did not. A2 block has 2 pins, lo-pro has 1, blocks can’t just be swapped. Plus the second barrel came nib and was a different length.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’ve gotten responses pretty fast from them. They’ve been through a couple of ceos so maybe thats why theres been problems. How long ago was this? I emailed them last month. Got a response to the first email that same day.
View Quote
Late 2016 till now. I don’t find any upper management changes to be a good excuse. They can still reply to an email and print out a shipping label even if their boss changes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Sights are adjustable because the machining operations require it. If you can zero the rifle it's considered useable.

Most sight alignment problems start at the receiver face. Either the slot for the barrel extension pin isn't machined TDC or is too wide or the receiver's face isn't trued to the centerline of the action's bore.

You can true your receiver face with a tool from Brownell's at home, or send it to a gunsmith for a nominal fee plus round trip shipping. Try this option, it may get you a lot closer to centered.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sights are adjustable because the machining operations require it. If you can zero the rifle it's considered useable.

Most sight alignment problems start at the receiver face. Either the slot for the barrel extension pin isn't machined TDC or is too wide or the receiver's face isn't trued to the centerline of the action's bore.

You can true your receiver face with a tool from Brownell's at home, or send it to a gunsmith for a nominal fee plus round trip shipping. Try this option, it may get you a lot closer to centered.
View Quote
Sights aren’t an issue since I don’t have an A2 block anymore. Its purely an issue with the holes in the barrel for the gas block pins being drilled incorrectly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Not trying to minimize your plight...but have you ever tried just calling them on the phone?

They always pick up for me and are always available for questions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#18]
That sucks!  Both of mine are "pre-death of John", and I have never had a single negative thought about them.  Freaking lasers.

Have you called Noveske?
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 3:53:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not trying to minimize your plight...but have you ever tried just calling them on the phone?

They always pick up for me and are always available for questions.
View Quote
Unfortunately my work schedule doesn't really allow me to call during business hours. I've called before, left a voicemail with no response but I'll be trying to call again if I get the chance while they're open.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn, this thread is harshing my mellow.  After debating for sometime I was settling in on buying a complete Noveske rifle for a retirement gift for myself.  Now, I am disillusioned and disappointed in hearing this issue.  Larue Tactical was my second choice....
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quote Alaska 551; That sucks! Both of mine are "pre-death of John", and I have never had a single negative thought about them. Freaking lasers.

Same here two N4's 1 monolithic Afghan and 1 MUR. Never a single problem. It's a shame Noveske CS has fallen so far since John's death.

Mauiblue, With whats been posted I'd go with LaRue. I've 2 of them and both a easily <1 moa 5 shot 100 yard shooters.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn, this thread is harshing my mellow.  After debating for sometime I was settling in on buying a complete Noveske rifle for a retirement gift for myself.  Now, I am disillusioned and disappointed in hearing this issue.  Larue Tactical was my second choice....
View Quote
I have rifles from both and both are excellent.  My Noveske rifles are after John's death and they are flawless.  My Larue is also great...but Mark is kind of a dick.  There are issues with any maker...don't let this disillusion you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have rifles from both and both are excellent.  My Noveske rifles are after John's death and they are flawless.  My Larue is also great...but Mark is kind of a dick.  There are issues with any maker...don't let this disillusion you.
View Quote
This is a very true statement. Even KAC puts out a mistake now and again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
You wont have any CS issues with Larue.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#25]
But you may have to wait months to years to get what you order...
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm sure Noveske still puts out solid rifles from time to time. I just wouldn't count on their CS if anything goes wrong. In this day and age with such a saturated AR-15 market it's just not a smart gamble in my opinion.

If I could do it all over again I'd buy a complete upper from BCM or the Geissele URG-I, but that's just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seems like you can get a large frame ultimate upper plus lower and a suppressor from Larue for the same price as a noveske. Not bad for a second place contender.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I also used to hold them in the highest regard. About a year after John died I wanted to get a Noveske rifle and had finally saved enough to do it. I had two friends that had Noveske build them custom rifles. I had shot them and was impressed and couldn't wait to get my own custom rifle.
I called and spoke to someone on the phone that told me there was no such option. Ok, fair enough, both of my friends were military and I was just some gunshop employee so maybe I'm not cool enough. Instead I ask to buy a barrel, bcg, ch, and some other parts and she tells me to order through one of their retailers. I explained that I worked for a gun store and none of our distributors had anything in stock, and i was content to just order directly
It was like pulling teeth to finally get the order going. When it all showed up they sent me a SS barrel instead of a CHF barrel.
When I called to get it fixed they told me they dont sell chf barrels directly and that It was a miscommunication. I'd have to go through a distributor/retailer. They took the barrel back and refunded me.
I finished the rest of the build without help from them and haven't bought a single noveske product since.
Now I see their stupid promotional videos and high priced guns and I simply dont care. They seem more interested in cultivating some kind of hipster gun culture than producing the finest firearms they can.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a similar issue with a SS lo pro pinned gas block barrel with the 556 chamber. I had to take of the gas block to put on the barrel nut and I figured I may as well check the alignment and low and behold the gas block was misaligned. Not sure by how much off the gas block was but the alignment pin i was using could not go through the gas block and barrel smoothly. After i was refunded the barrel I landed on another manufacture and will not be using any of Noveske products again.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Now I see their stupid promotional videos and high priced guns and I simply dont care. They seem more interested in cultivating some kind of hipster gun culture than producing the finest firearms they can.
View Quote
This has gotten my blood boiling for a while. They have the time and resources to make flashy hipster instagram videos but don't have the time to answer and address customers with serious issues and concerns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#31]
They are a hipster "lifestyle brand" now...
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They are a hipster "lifestyle brand" now...
View Quote
BCM is the same way, and I feel like DD is up there too.  Then again I'm on the way to Geissele all the things so I'll keep my mouth shut.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Cont.

The upper was sent back completely disassembled so I brought it to Oregon Rifleworks to buy a new handguard and just slap everything together quickly for me. The gunsmith there noticed that once the gas block was pinned to the barrel it was canted. We measured the gas block to be rotated off-center by about 6mm which we both realized would limit gas flow. I sent one barrel in with a canted FSB and now received another barrel with the exact same issue but just with a low profile gas block instead.

I have not received a response to my last 3 emails to Noveske so I assume I'm out of luck on them fixing anything. I took the pin out of the gas block and it is just being held in place by the single set screw to be able to straighten everything out.

To me their level of customer service and the apparent lack of QC (as the gunsmith had noted that this isn't the first time he's seen issues with recent Noveske barrels) is unacceptable, especially for a $450 barrel from "The Greatest Gun Manufacturer Ever". I know I won't be purchasing anything Noveske again.

I will update this thread if Noveske responds to me and have some low quality pictures of the barrels I can upload if there's interest
View Quote
Glad you posted this because I’m getting another AR build together and was considering them. Every manufacturer will have one that slips through - what they do about it is what sets them apart. I bought a Noveske barrel a few years back and it’s been a good performer accuracy wise (not great). After reading this, and for the money they charge - I’m out. $450 will get you lots of great options for high quality barrrels out there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Noveske has always been smoke and mirrors. Even guns made when John was alive were pretty "men in my experience. Noveske did a great job with image management though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:56:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Glad you posted this because I’m getting another AR build together and was considering them. Every manufacturer will have one that slips through - what they do about it is what sets them apart. I bought a Noveske barrel a few years back and it’s been a good performer accuracy wise (not great). After reading this, and for the money they charge - I’m out. $450 will get you lots of great options for high quality barrrels out there.
View Quote
Exactly my thoughts. There’s barrels for a third of the price from OEM producers like Rosco, Faxon, etc. that have glowing reviews. For $450 in this market everything better be perfect about the barrel and the company.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
@mauiblue

While I am sorry that the OP has had issues, do not let your heart be troubled.  I think the vast majority of us are extremely happy with our noveske products.  It is true that no company pleases everyone and sometimes even good companies don't necessarily rise to the occasion and take care of their customers the way they should.  However, for what it's worth that hasn't been my experience and I have had dealings with them recently.  Called them up with a technical question a couple weeks ago and the employee on the phone was more than happy to talk detailed tech with me.  Furthermore, I even had to deal with a return (wife bought me a barrel and erroneously ordered a 10.5 instead of a 14.5) and it was a non issue for them.  They were happy to exchange it.

As for performance, my noveske barrels have provided excellent accuracy and I have zero complaints.  machining, fit, finish, presentation, reliability, accuracy have all been great.  Just bought a noveske barreled upper on the equipment exchange and can't wait to see how that one does as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
In Iraq he mailed our entire infantry company dillos and larue index clip cans filled with candy and Copenhagen long cut.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I love my Noveske's, I have one complete rifle I have put together and a few of their lowers. Really nice stuff, shoots great, looks great, etc.

However my buddy has had tons of issues with his lowers and out of spec parts. He was sent an out of spec lower twice in a row and they were trying to put the blame on him. Actually he posted it here a few years ago and the hive roasted him pretty good for something out of his control. Interesting to see how some of the general opinion has been swaying after more and more reports of bad QC keep popping up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I love my Noveske's, I have one complete rifle I have put together and a few of their lowers. Really nice stuff, shoots great, looks great, etc.

However my buddy has had tons of issues with his lowers and out of spec parts. He was sent an out of spec lower twice in a row and they were trying to put the blame on him. Actually he posted it here a few years ago and the hive roasted him pretty good for something out of his control. Interesting to see how some of the general opinion has been swaying after more and more reports of bad QC keep popping up.
View Quote
I actually have a poor quality lower from them that I completely forgot about. Terrible machining marks and no trigger guard would fit other than a polymer Magpul guard that I shaved it down a few millimeters all around to get it to fit. Not a big issue at all but it's just another Noveske product I've purchased in the last few years that has been underwhelming.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#40]
I said I would update the thread if Noveske made any further contact with me. They did today so I should be sending the barrel back again soon to get another replacement. Their director of sales is now handling the issue and so far has been very professional compared to the previous CS guy.
I will continue to update accordingly and have no problem retracting some previous statements if they end up making everything perfect.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#41]
That’s a shame to hear lots of this. However, the Gen III billet lowers have been by far the nicest I’ve ever seen and handled.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
@KPog What was out of spec in his lowers?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Another update: Sent in the upper and barrel to them today. They're going to throw in a NSR rail and a Warcomp for my troubles. I'm satisfied with that as compensation for all of this as long as the third barrel comes back perfect. I'll update the thread again once I receive everything back from Noveske
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Another update: Sent in the upper and barrel to them today. They're going to throw in a NSR rail and a Warcomp for my troubles. I'm satisfied with that as compensation for all of this as long as the third barrel comes back perfect. I'll update the thread again once I receive everything back from Noveske
View Quote
Good to hear.  Love the NSR!
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I had issues with Noveske QC also.  Had a 10.5 upper from them with the flaming pig brake.  I then went to install it on my mega lower.  The takedown pins didn’t line up at all.  Tried it with some other brands of unassembled lowers that i had on hand including lrb which along with mega make excellent lowers.  Called noveske and they charged me $ to send me thinner takedown pins.  These didn’t work.  Called them again and they for all intents and purposes told me tough luck.  I bought it from dsg.  I forget if I contacted dsg but actually sold it to someone in texas who had a noveske lower.  I warned him it didn’t fit regular lowers.  Apparently it worked since never heard back from him.  Anyway i will never buy a noveske again in my life.  It is going down hill quickly.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Good to hear.  Love the NSR!
View Quote
I haven't had a chance to use the NSR but I can't complain with one for free.

Now I have a brand new BCM MCMR that was on the upper previously just sitting here. Guess I have to build another rifle again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I find it hard to believe they told you to take your rifle or upper to a gunsmith, sorry.

Can you provide a screenshot(s)?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#48]
You wanted a low profile gas block anyways?  I'd have just shaved that sucker off, problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I find it hard to believe they told you to take your rifle or upper to a gunsmith, sorry.

Can you provide a screenshot(s)?
View Quote
I'm not going to put more negativity out about them for now as their sales director has done an excellent job in switching this issue around. If there's more issues I will happily post screenshots and pictures but I'm going to give them one more chance.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You wanted a low profile gas block anyways?  I'd have just shaved that sucker off, problem solved.
View Quote
I wasn't after a low profile. I'd have preferred to stick with the A2 but in my mind I figured it'd be better to remove the issue of a canted sight again.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top