BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
alright thanks. cause it says on the first post to pay attention to how the sling loops over the left shoulder and under the right arm. then in every other pic its the opposite way.

thanks for clearing it up.

edit: nevermind, specter gears website cleared up everything i was looking for.
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#2]
alright, i went out and got the stuff to make a variation of this sling. all i could find was 1" web though. i like the sling so im not going to order all the stuff from strap works.

im going to order some 1.5" camo web but want the hk style snaps. they only come in 1" from what i can see. will there be enough room in the loops to kind of fold a quarter inch on each side?

edit: if you look on page 22 at the 1 point sling, im hoping to be able to do something like that. im hoping theres enough room in the loops.
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the write up! I got all the parts at REI for $8.67. I ended up sewing the tag ends because they did not have the kind of buckles that the strap locks itself onto. So other than my cheesy seamstressing, this thing works awesome! I love homebrew solutions like this!
Link Posted: 12/17/2008 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Matt for the instructions, photos, and guide.  Bravo!

I have one suggestion:  On the rear of the sling, I'm going to double up on the sliders so that if it breaks, my rifle won't crash to the ground.  They are only 19 cents or something like that.  This really is a case of "Two is one, one is none."

I'd recommend everyone buy four of the 1.5" sliders (instead of three) and put two in that rear slot where the 1" sling attaches!

John
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/29/2008 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#6]

heres the 2 point i made.  little sewing action in there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I finally had the time to read through this entire thread and am excited to build my own sling and save some money.  I have a few questions that I didn't find the answer to in the thread and could have missed them but I will post them here in hopes to get quick help so I can get orders placed to get ingredients en route.

Weight.  I'm 275lbs so obviously I might require a longer sling to comfortably allow movement for quick transitions.  Is anyone here near this size that can attest to these lengths being adequate?

QD swivel buttons.  I have a newer gen SOPMOD stock that has the QD mount built into it so I want to build a sling with the QD buttons at both ends (QD rail mount for front) so can I just sew them on?  Where the best/cheapest place to source this hardware?

Quick pull strap like Gear Sector.  If you've seen their harness you know what I'm talking about.  It has a quick pull tab/strap that allows you to pull it snug into position quickly.  This may or may not be useful but if it is can something like this be worked into this design and how hard would it be?

Parts list for best materials based on what does/doesn't work.  Sounds like some sizes and materials work better than others and I would like to get a firm ruling on what seems to work best overall.  Like '1" webbing from REI seems to grip hardware better than the 1.5" webbing' or something like that since it seems some have made purchase and not been happy with the results.

Super glue holds everything??  I mean, forgive me for sonding stupid but is there anything else holding the weight of the rifle other than super glue?  Please tell me that the hardware locks the webbing and the super glue just holds the end tabs from flopping around.  I plan to do some stitching anyway but just curious.

I would love to see people post more pictures of their completed slings as well as what color/size of webbing they used and where they got it in additon to any modifications they made and why.  I'm considering what color to use other than just black so this would serve to see some completed setups as well as get ideas for color for myself as well as others looking to do this biuld.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread as it's information and subsequent posts look to save me quite a bit of money and allow me to do something myself which I prefer over just buying something off of the shelf.  Helps me understand it better and appreciate it more when I make it with my own hands.  Who knows, maybe some of my buddies who have spent all the money on an off the shelf sling will fall in love with mine and want one of their own.  Sorry for the lengthy post but inquiring minds want to know.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2009 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I just built my tac sling... Haven't put it on the rifle yet but just wanted to say THANKS for the great thread!

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#9]
How do you think cotton webbing would do for a sling?

Link Posted: 1/8/2009 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
i would think it would be softer then the nylon stuff.
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i would think it would be softer then the nylon stuff.

Wouldn't it be harder to seal the edges too?
Link Posted: 1/8/2009 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#12]
yeah, im not really sure how cotton would react to being burned by a lighter.
Link Posted: 1/9/2009 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know which color from strapworks (tan or khaki) matches VLTOR FDE best?
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Seal the edges up with the cotton webbing with some super glue to keep it from fraying.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seal the edges up with the cotton webbing with some super glue to keep it from fraying.

Try dipping the trimmed end in some clear varnish and let it dry.

Link Posted: 1/18/2009 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought my parts from the local REI.  They have a device to cut and seal nylon climbing rope and backpack webbing.  It's basically a heated strip of metal.

With that in mind, I went home and pulled out my soldering gun.  I have one of those gun type soldering irons and it has a straight edge wide enough to seal 2" nylon webbing.  I heated up the soldering gun and with both hands holding the nylon web taut, ran it across the heated wire tip.  I was surprised at the professional looking results.  Wiping down the soldering tip with a paper towel will remove any melted nylon to provide a smooth/clean edge without stringy melted nylon.

FYI, I simplified Matt's design by removing the 2nd 1.5" buckle and using the 4th extra slide lock from the REI 4 pack of 1.5" slide locks.  I skipped step 5 and in step 6, just slipped on another 1.5" slide lock.  In step 9, the 1" web attaches to the slot in the 2 slide locks.

This was a fun build.  Thanks Matt and everyone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2009 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Just made one for my V22 just for the hell of it. Very, very good

I'm going to try it on my G36 at work. With a minor modification this could be what we've been looking for .....
Link Posted: 1/23/2009 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#18]
uh-oh...

I just posted this in the Pics thread, meant to put it here since I was inspired to make it myself.
––––––––––––––––––––––-

Made my alterations to the original...

webbing / hardware from strapworks
about 8 ft of 1-1/2" webbing (charcoal)
5 slides on the sling (+1 on front mount)
1 loop
1 d-ring
1 keeper

The way it's strung let's me pull on the d-ring to cinch it tight. The keeper holds any excess webbing from the adjustment out of the way, as it moves forward with the d-ring. No fast way to loosen it, but it does what I wanted for cheap.

In case anyone is wondering.. handguard & upper were Krylon'd with primer grey.

Link Posted: 2/17/2009 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#19]
All Ace had was 1" straps, but I decided to go ahead and make one anyway. The 1.5" would definately be nice, because the 1" cuts into you neck a little. It was only $11 though and I know someone who will probably buy it off me for $15 or 20 so it won't be a waste. I practiced a few drills in front of the mirror in the hall, and banged the mess outta my barrel on the corner of a wall trying to go from a left side carry. Hopefully I didn't bend it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#20]
hear is a stupid question. I am a left handed shooter. With that said, my question is if you set the sling that started this discussion up for left hand operation, will it impede the rifles ability to eject spent casings? I am guessing that the entire sling will be on the opposite side of the rifle if set up left handed, therefore covering the ejection port.  Is this an issue or am i just thinking too much?
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#21]
This was great, easy to do. ended up costing me 17 but whatev, it was a fun little project
Link Posted: 3/7/2009 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Outstanding,just made one for my sks, had to use one inch (nobody had 1.5).  This is awesome. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Just made one for my AR. works great for $8.00 i spent. May make another one for the AK. I will see how it performs this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#24]
does anybody know the measurement of the Magpul sling?

I'd like to build a clone and try it before I order one...
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I know this sounds weird, but I went to every store in town and noone has 1.5 inch nylon web, and they won't order me a small amount. If anyone has 10 feet of black 1.5 inch web, or a knows a site where I could buy an amount that small, let me know. I will pay for web and shipping if it's reasonable
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Thanks, I guess I shoulda looked at more then page 1
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't forget the discount
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#29]
shit....what discount?

EDIT: ah I saw it, no biggy though, ordered enough for 2 slings for $18 shipped, im good

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/10/2009 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#30]
cool
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#31]
What's the best way for a lefty to mount this sling using standard sling swivels under FSB and M4 stock?
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#32]

I really like their kit.  Definitely a thumbs up.  I should have picked up the steel snaps on the original order.  Would have saved shipping.

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

do a google for a company called ITW NEXUS

you can order "samples" of the buckles for free.

For those who ordered the samples from ITW Nexus, how long did it take for it to arrive?

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What is the discount and how do I get it.

I looked a few pages back and didn`t see anything.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2009 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the discount and how do I get it.

I looked a few pages back and didn`t see anything.

Thanks

the code is AR 15
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For those who ordered the samples from ITW Nexus, how long did it take for it to arrive?

It took about a week for me to receive my "samples"!

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It took about a week for me to receive my "samples"!

I got them a couple of days after I posted this, but they cut my sample order in half even though I was still under the 15 limit.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 1:48:04 AM EDT
[#39]
How did you get 15?  When I looked at the site, it said the limit was 5.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Has anyone tried this on a FAL or Galil?
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Anyone try this on an AUG/MSAR?
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 3:02:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Couple of slings I made tonight.  Ended up with a few extra parts and a couple extra feet of webbing.  Total $20.47 delivered for the materials to make both slings plus some.  

-X

Flash sucks and makes the brown sling look gold.  MUCH better in person.

Link Posted: 5/30/2009 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Couple of slings I made tonight.  Ended up with a few extra parts and a couple extra feet of webbing.  Total $20.47 delivered for the materials to make both slings plus some.  

-X

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4617/1003304z.jpg

Pretty nice slings!
Would you mind if I ask you,what kits did you order?...Which webbing and hardware to get?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 11:54:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Just made a single point sling.

Will give it a workout this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-X

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4617/1003304z.jpg

Pretty nice slings!
Would you mind if I ask you,what kits did you order?...Which webbing and hardware to get?
Thanks!

Didn't order a kit.  I looked for the parts I thought I'd need to make the slings and placed the order (which is why I have extra parts).  I'll post the items I bought when I get home from vacation or maybe just shoot you an IM.  

-X
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't be afraid to list your material list for the single point sling.  Looks really good and I would also be interested as I am looking into making a few slings for myself.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#47]
If you get the strapworks kit you need more than 5" for the back to back buckles. I'm not sure if they changed the sizes on the buckles or what, but 5" was NOT going to result in what the images show, and barely fits around at all. I'm going to buy some more and use a 6 1/2" piece. The 5" strip just doesn't leave ANY extra and will very quickly pull loose. Not the end of the world, and if I'd made that part THEN cut I wouldn't be worried about having an inch or so off the rest of it, but live and learn.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 11:19:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Thinking about making a single point sling. Questions:

1. Which webbing are you guys buying? I don't want something that is really rough on my neck. What width?
2. Any of you that are sewing this stuff. Will a standard sewing machine take care of it or will I have to break out the awl?
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Awesome!  I would replace webbing buckles with metal ones, and possibly the snap-locks too.  I could see my carbine snapping one if I was involved in a run-n-gun.  
Did you come up with this entirely by yourself or did you get inspiration from an existing sling?  TIA
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Tan 2-point rifle sling
HWP112 - Heavyweight Polypropylene 1-1/2" Tan
SRBDA - Double Adjust side release buckle 1-1/2"
PS - Acetyl Plastic slides 1-1/2"
***I had the HK hooks already from another store***

Foliage single point sling
MFNW1 - Military Flat Nylon Webbing 1" Foliage
SRBDA - double adjust side release buckles 1" nexus
PS - acetyl plastic slides 1"
PTL - acetyl plastic tri-loops 1"

These are all of the parts and code numbers for the items I bought for the 2 slings I had pictured earlier.

-X
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top