Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 16
Link Posted: 3/10/2008 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet thread. Especially liked the pics on how to wear/use the sling.

Oh... and TAG...
Link Posted: 3/11/2008 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Got mine from strapworks and I'm not to impressed so far.  I didn't like the 1" webbing for the attachment points , so I cut up my old sling (1 1/4") and I like that a little better.  Not to fond of using the triglides to hold it all together either.  I'm going to try and sew it and see how that works out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I just finished making mine... went with a "Gear Sector" style 2-point. It was very easy!!

It's nice to have a mother with a sewing machine... just stopped over and told her where to sew. I did have to buy extra heavy thread, but that stuff is cheap.

I ordered a DD burnsed loop and MI front sling mount, which I should have in a few days.
I'll get some pictures up when I get it all done.
Link Posted: 3/14/2008 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Ended up taking mine to a leather shop owned by a good friend to have it sewn.  My machine didn't have enough distance between the feed dogs and the foot to get 3 layers of webbing underneath or I would have sewn it myself.

Link Posted: 3/23/2008 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone know where I can find a good reducer to reduce from 2" or 1 1/2" webbing to 1"?

I looked on DIY Tactical and the other site, and I didn't like their reducers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2008 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the cool DIY idea!  I tried this with both 1 1/2" and 2" webbing and I am running into the same issue with both set-ups. The webbing (purchased from REI) is very slippery, and slides right through the buckles and tri-glides.  They almost feel like they were Armour-alled.

Any suggestions?   Should I take everything apart and throw the webbing into the washing machine?  

Help?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#7]
How much for you to make me one?
Link Posted: 4/9/2008 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Lol, I did this 2 years ago... and I am still using the sling. $12.
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Would like to slightly modify strap.  Anybody know where to get the buckle off the military ruck shoulder strap.  Makes for slick adjustment.  Pull the strap to tighten and pull release cord to loosen.  Very fast and and secure.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]
sweet. great pics! i'm def gonna make one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Have to add my ++ to this.  Got the order from strapworks, took about 1 hour or so building and trying to figure out how to attach/use.  Afterwords was hooked to the 3 point sling and now looking to mod it slightly here or there.  Good job.
Link Posted: 4/23/2008 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info on this.  It took awhile to find the stuff, but once I bought it at an Ace Hardware in another town it went together very easily.  I do think I will have to sew a couple of connections, but all in all I am very pleased!

I went the Ace route due to very high shipping from Strapworks and DIYTact not having 1" black in stock.  I don't know about everyone else, but shipping from Strapworks to KY with the lowest rated shipping was $12+.  That was more than kits.  I found the stuff at Ace and bought enough for two slings for only 1 dollars more than the price of one kit shipped from Strapworks.  I am not blaming them, but jeez those shipping charges are just way to high right now.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2008 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]
tag! thanks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Great thread. It inspired me to make my own single point sling for my homed defense 870. It even has a quick release bukle and a pull tab to adjust the lenth while wearing it.

Plus i had enough left over weebing and buckles to make a 2-point sling for my work shotgun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
do a google for a company called ITW NEXUS

you can order "samples" of the buckles for free.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
you know, I figured I better get in this thread, It was the thread that brought me to ARFCOM...to the OP: thanks allot for sucking me in to the addiction.

Oh, and I tried to make the sling back then but I made it way too big.  I ended up cannibalizing it for other projects.
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I got my free sample order from ITW Nexus today. The metric sizing resulted in my only being able to use about half the stuff.

But I was able to make a nice single point sling with the stuff i received and some old GI silent slings.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#18]
great stuff. i ordered some nylon rope for me and two of my friends and got the other parts coming in from ITW NEXUS. :)   hopefully a project for the weekend.

oh and i got my stuff from strapworks. enough for 3 people. 24.50 dollars total...

free buckles/slides from ITW...8 dollars a rig.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#19]

$15 at Ace + 10 minutes =

Now if I can just find a way to keep the nylon from slipping out of the locks...
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
img45.imageshack.us/img45/7752/dscf0178largeza1.jpg

$15 at Ace + 10 minutes =

Now if I can just find a way to keep the nylon from slipping out of the locks...

If you're talking about the ones attached to the sling loops, then they need to be on the right way. Look closely at the very first pic on the first page of this thread. Use a kind of under over  method.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 1:31:27 AM EDT
[#21]
My ACE hardware webbing is a little slick as well.  I tried a couple of ways to route the webbing to get a better grip, but didn't work.  I haven't had an issue, but while taking the rifle off the shoulder the other day, one buckle came loose.

Finally decided to just go ahead and sew the joints.  Bought a pack of darning needles and role of outdoor thread.  Put a couple of stiches at both sides of the end of the webbing (not all the way across but on the right and left side of the end) and that took care of slipping.  Took about 10 minuted to do every joint, but worth it for the peace of mind.  Also the outdoor thread melts just like the webbing, so the extra thread from hand sewing can just be melted a lighter so you can barely tell its been sewn at all.

Link Posted: 5/31/2008 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the tip, very helpful indeed.  Just finish doing mine.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#23]
ost
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Just finished my Sling from the Strapworks kit.

I'm new to AR's and I have no idea what the latches are for like the assembly made in step 5. When I release this everything just drops. (that may be the purpose I'm unsure) Anyone have specific direction on how to use this sling?
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#25]
well....i made the sling. and im positive everything is right....it just doesn't seem to be very useful for tactical purposes...it works about as good as a comfortable rope would.  a rope would probably get in the way less actually.  so im just gonna take it apart and make a 1 point sling.  if you guys get it to work right, though, (without it interfering with your sights) i'd like to see pics  

good luck though and thanks for the thread on how to. maybe im just an idiot on how to use it properly...
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 1:25:10 AM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I built one with Ace webbing and the good hardware that I picked up at REI (Nexus)....and then I ordered some webbing from Strapworks.  I'd definately say that it's worth ordering from Strapworks, good quality!  I used a total of 4 buckles on mine, and also added a little mod/variation to allow me to hold everything in tight against my body, which this setup didnt allow for, and it also allows for tight, barrel up back carry without removing the rig from your body to change configuration.  I'll post pics up soon and edit this post to show you guys what I did....very simple, requires 1 extra buckle and 10-12 inches of webbing....

Ok, here's some crappy pics from my iPhone....

Total picture, pretty much the same result as the first page, with release buckle at front and QD swivel at rear (hidden)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6695/photo2cc0.jpg

And I added a female buckle along the main strap, forward of the adjustment stop.  I also added a rubber band (I used what I had) to stop the buckle from sliding away...works well, almost matches the color.

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/1264/photo3ho9.jpg

And the male buckle.  I just ran the strapping through the QD swivel, allowing this to slide freely...seems secure enough for me, but I'll likely sew this point.

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/5871/photo4sw9.jpg

So, when you connect the two buckles, everything gets nice and tight, and you can have the rifle pulled right up against your body, or slide it around and carry your rifle snug against your back.  The inside most part of the sling will stay loose in this config...as you can see.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/4536/photo6ke7.jpg

Thanks for any input, now to make myself a black one.

Cost =

1.50 x 4 for buckles (REI in store)
1.50 x 1 for stops (REI in store)
5.50 for 10.5 feet of webbing. (Strapworks.com)

Total cost $13.00 plus tax and shipping (cheap) and an hour of my life (priceless)

Dave
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I found this site while researching for something else I was doing.  They let you buy the straps in bulk according to the length you specify.  You can buy hardware as well.  For those of you looking to roll your own slings, it's worth a look.  =-]

www.strapworks.com/

Forgot to mention.  The front page is a little cluttered.  On the left side, click on Webbing, then the material, then the width, then the color/design and you add the number of inches for quantity.  For buckles and those gathering rings, go to Plastic Hardware.  Pretty slick IMO.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#29]
my first attempt to make my own single point sling

I've used a USGI M4 sling, a steel ring, one replacement-style buckle, a piece of nylon web left from a old SOB Mamba sling

Link Posted: 8/7/2008 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Tagged
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Goodstuff!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Tag.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Does anyone have a solution for a FIXED butt stock?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Does anyone have a solution for a FIXED butt stock?

Thanks!

Page #17... all you had to do was look...
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#35]
HA!  Mine cost $17.14 from ACE...  Damn being in overpriced/overtaxed Washington state...  
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I've known about this thread for a while but decided to order the parts from strapworks last week. The kit came in the mail yesterday and after some scratching of the head I figured it out.

This strap rocks! Thanks OP!

I went ahead and ordered the awl and will try to sew it up once I get it.

ETA

I went ahead and ordered the stuff from REI as well and let me tell you, don't bother. The REI stuff is not useable. As others have said the webbing is so thin even doubled up it's still too small.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:15:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Great post!

Ck this place out for supplies

http://www.strapworks.com/
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanx for the great instructions. I was able to put mine together in about 20 minutes. Unfortunately mine cost $13. I had to go to 2 different stores. One was a back pak outdoor supply place and the other was a pet store where they sole the webbing for dog harnesses. We don't have an ACE Hardware near my little town on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska. Nonetheless, I was able to get all the goods and slapped it on my first build. A RRA Lower and a Stag Upper. Have the light attched, laser ordered and wtill looking at getting a Holo sight, thinking about a CMore.

Thanx again,

Mike
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Well, I put mine together for the third time....
Since my rifle does not have side sling mounts the rifle wants to hang upside down.

Argh.  Oh well more stuff to buy.
Link Posted: 11/10/2008 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I just bought an AR-15 for work and was looking everywhere for a good sling. I think that I dont have to look any further. Thanks for the build project.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 2:04:48 AM EDT
[#41]
TAG
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Is there a way to modify the sling for use on an M1a?

Buttstock adaptor as well as a forend adaptor, specifically.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Want to say a big thank you!
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Well, as good as this looked, it's turned into major suckage.

Tried about 5 places locally for materials, Ace, Jo-Ann's, Lowes, Hancock Fabric, Academy Sports. No 1.5" material other than an odd 1.5" buckle they don't seem to stock anymore.

I ordered 2 kits from Strapworks, got it today. It's got the wrong buckles. They sent 2" instead of 1.5. Following their instruction, 5" is not long enough for the 2". I cut mine at 6" and it barely loops through.

I cut an 8" piece from the second kit. All I can say is it's bulky as hell, doesn't hang worth a damn. Don't know if it just the buckles or what. Went to 3 different stores this evening looking for the 1.5" buckles, Hobby Lobby, Home Depot, a second Jo-Ann's. Nothing.

So now I've gone all over town twice, Strapworks, I don't know what gives with that. I guess if I give them grief they'll send me new ones after Thanksgiving, but I won't have them for my next hunting trip. Add the in frustration factor.

=

I should have just bought one.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Joe: At least in MI here, I've been to several local surplus stores and they have all had a big assortment buckles, straps and other various things on hand... Try there before giving up.

I think I am going to come up with a parts list and head to my local Joann's soon... This thread and the article in the new SWAT mag about building your own tac gear has me thinking I should learn how to sew.

Hopefully whatever I make turns out better than my attempts at sewing my Webelos badges on.
Link Posted: 11/25/2008 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I hit up two army surplus stores Saturday. No buckles. Tons of air soft crap. He had some AR slings, but given they were stacked up with the air crap, I didn't care to try them. He did have some plain GI issue slings for $3. I picked one up until I get the rest figured out. Tried Walmart and Target thinking they'd have luggage strap, nothing.

I wrote to Strapworks, Doug is sending me new buckles.

Link Posted: 11/26/2008 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Ordered from strapworks, arrived ups ground pretty quickly... 3-4 biz days.  Went together easily and the sling is great. Thanks for this post! Excellent work.
Link Posted: 12/3/2008 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Great, now I got clicky buckles. Put weight on them, the pull apart a bit and click, release tension and they click back. I give up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#49]
after looking at your pics for awhile im sort of confused. in some pics you have the sling under your right arm and over your left.... then opposite in other pics.

which was would be the correct way for a right handed shooter to put the sling on? and which side of the body will the gun fall to if let go...?
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#50]
It goes over you right shoulder and under your left arm...
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top