BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Where does a guy find a barrel extension with the wider feed ramps for 6.5G, 6ARC, etc.?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
At first I was intrigued by this new cartridge.  But now, Im scratching my head.. What will this do that my 18" grendel wont at 2430 fps? I ring steel at 200 yards consistently, and kills hogs.  If I didn't have the grendel I would jump on this new boat and ride it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If you’re only shooting to 200 yards even that Gendel is probably overkill. That’s nothing. For someone who already owns a Grendel this cartridge isn’t a ridiculous improvement. For all those people who dint have a Grendel yet though this might be worth a look.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you’re only shooting to 200 yards even that Gendel is probably overkill. That’s nothing. For someone who already owns a Grendel this cartridge isn’t a ridiculous improvement. For all those people who dint have a Grendel yet though this might be worth a look.
View Quote

Working on 300 this weekend :)
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
This new cartridge seems like bad news for 6.5G as it seems to have the same improvements that 6.5G has over 6.8spc.  

This is worse than VHS vs Beta.....or Playstation vs X-Box, or Blu-Ray over HD-DVD.    All three will cannibalize each other.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This new cartridge seems like bad news for 6.5G as it seems to have the same improvements that 6.5G has over 6.8spc.
View Quote

I believe they said similar things about the 224 Valkyrie.  

How did that work out?

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How did that work out?

View Quote

Reminds me of Valk and Nosler.  ::shrug::
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is worse than VHS vs Beta.....or Playstation vs X-Box, or Blu-Ray over HD-DVD.    All three will cannibalize each other.
View Quote

I think there is enough of a difference it won’t kill all 6.5 Grendel sales.  The 6 MM ARC might prove to be a better target and varmint cartridge than the 6.5 Grendel but at typical hunting distances I think the 6.5 Grendel is just as good.   The availability of several different factory loads including Wolf steel cased FMJ is still going to help 6.5 Grendel sales.   If Hornady partnered with Barnual  and released a steel cased 6 MM ARC with a quality hunting bullet for $7 a box I think 6 MM ARC would get very popular.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How did that work out?

View Quote

I’ve purchased 2 6.5grendels and I’ve bought 5 224Valkyries. If you don’t go with cheap barrels that were cut with an improper chamber, the 224Valkyrie is a great cartridge. Less recoil and better ballistics than a 6.5g, and with 80gr bullets, it’ll hang with or beat the 6ARC unless you’re trying to go with <18” barrels in both.

I still have 1 grendel barrel, but it’ll be sold soon and replaced with a 6ARC barrel just to get better ballistics in a more compact package.

Nothing wrong with a 6.5g, but some of the newer cartridges with commercial ammo and factory support available are a bit more attractive for longer range shooting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I think this is going to take off, with it being SAAMI spec'd, and a major ammunition manufacture behind it, the DOD placing orders, and about 20 gun manufactures signing up to build guns and parts. It looks like it has good potential. The specs look impressive for both target and hunting. The round stays supersonic out past 1000 yards and has a very flat trajectory. It also has serious knock down power. The military adopted it because the enemy knew that the 5.56 round was only good to about 600 yard in the hands of the right shooter, so they stay outside of the range of the weapon.

I have a barrel and all the parts ordered to build one and the parts started to arrive yesterday. My plans are to build a nice long range target gun with an 18" rifle gassed barrel, A2 stock, free floated hand guard, with a good long range optic. I have a 6X24 50mm that I purchased today. Now to see how long the wait is going to be for the barrel.

My son bought me 200 rounds of ammo, and the dies and related Items to reload it. I hope the price of ammo comes down after it has been out for a while, it's not to bad now about a buck a round for bulk. The brass alone on the Hornady site is .66 a round for new brass, but like every thing else in the gun world today it is OOS.

I think this is going to be a neat gun to shoot out to 800 yards.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Ill pass for now, and build a mk12 clone.  I don't see what it'll do that many of mine wont do as stated.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:If Hornady partnered with Barnual  and released a steel cased 6 MM ARC with a quality hunting bullet for $7 a box I think 6 MM ARC would get very popular.
View Quote

I seem to remember Hornady once imported primed steel cases for one of their loads, so it's not inconceivable that they could do the same for 6mmARC.

Don't know if their prices were ever as good as Russian-produced, but it was a start.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I seem to remember Hornady once imported primed steel cases for one of their loads, so it's not inconceivable that they could do the same for 6mmARC.

Don't know if their prices were ever as good as Russian-produced, but it was a start.
View Quote

Hornady had steel match which was branded as training target ammo. I still have some 75gr stuff. It shot well. I have no idea if that’s the stuff you’re talking about.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Hornady also sold a steel cased 7.62x39 cartridge with the SST bullet IIRC plus the 5.56/223 steel cased cartridge.   It’s been several years ago but I know Hornady sold some steel cased ammo.   The limiting factor with accuracy of the 6.5 Grendel Wolf/Barnual ammo is the bullet.   Put a good bullet in Barnual steel cased ammo and you see markedly improved accuracy.    One selling point of the 6.5 Grendel is the cheap steel cased ammo.  With the introduction of the Wolf 300 Blackout adding an accurate 6 ARC inexpensive steel cased round would help sales.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#15]
One selling point of the Wolf 6.5 Grendel ammo is that the projectile looks like a larger version of 7N6!

I'd like to see Wolf produce something similar for the 6mm ARC.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One selling point of the Wolf 6.5 Grendel ammo is that the projectile looks like a larger version of 7N6!

I'd like to see Wolf produce something similar for the 6mm ARC.
View Quote

MatchKings act like 7N6.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't understand why anyone would be interested in bullet performance like the 7N6 when pretty much any other soft point or tipped bullet is on the table. All of 7N6 the gel testing I've seen was pretty mediocre, especially compared to something like an ELDx, TMK or... well name a random tipped or SP bullet.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't understand why anyone would be interested in bullet performance like the 7N6 when pretty much any other soft point or tipped bullet is on the table. All of 7N6 the gel testing I've seen was pretty mediocre, especially compared to something like an ELDx, TMK or... well name a random tipped or SP bullet.
View Quote

Indeed. TMKs are just devastating. There’s so many better options than military billets.

I was surprised by the way Nosler RDFs blow up, too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 6:41:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Most of the info being shared here is the data used for the 24" barrel. Real world users are barely getting 2600 fps out of their 18" barrels with the 108 ELD-M. This data keeps me out of the ARC race because it does NOT even equal my Grendel data.

I would not hunt with it, but I would my Grendel. There is plenty of factory options right now so that is a no brainer.

Hornady has also changed the way they speak about the "adoption" of this cartridge by a specialized military unit. There has been no adoption. It is being tested. A full on adoption would have purchase orders that are available on government procurement sites. If it was a black funds purchase there would be no talk about it. This isnt happening. The most likely scenario is that Crane has seen it and bough a bunch to test. We know its the Navy too. The Army is neck deep in 7mm. The Marines cant afford anything new like this. And the Air Force...the pen is mightier than the sword I guess.

If someone has somne real world data from their own personal use I would love to run those numbers. Data from a 12.5, 14.5, 16, or 18" barrel would be awesome but I think there is a bit more hype that people want to admit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Most of the info being shared here is the data used for the 24" barrel. Real world users are barely getting 2600 fps out of their 18" barrels with the 108 ELD-M. This data keeps me out of the ARC race because it does NOT even equal my Grendel data....

If someone has somne real world data from their own personal use I would love to run those numbers...
View Quote

Hodgdon lists the 6.5G max load  Sierra 123gr HPBT, with a G1 BC of .510,  at 2508fps out of a 24" barrel.

You are saying real world the 6mm ARC sees 2600fps with the .536 G1 108gr ELD-M out of a barrel 6" shorter?

Am I mis-calculating something? That is significantly better performance, even giving the 6.5 the 6" barrel advantage.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Thats not real world Grendel data. Most guys that are shooting 18" barrels are getting 2500 fps. At my altitude, and unusually high density altitude, the ARC does nothing more than a Grendel. I do think if youre predominantly a target or small game shooter and you dont have a Grendel then the ARC is probably a better choice since it will get attention. For larger than white tail deer sized animals and similar long range perfromance the numbers dont add up to the hype, although I do admit they are much closer to reality than the 224 Valkyrie ever was.
My Grendel data shows more retained velocity and energy past 1k than the ARC. I also shoot my 123s at 2550ish on warm days.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Hornady Black Box 123 ELD , BC 0.510, out of my 22" Ruger RAP runs 2546.  I've run the Nosler 123 CC , BC 0.510, at 2671 in the same tube over CFE 223 powder.  Out of a BHW 20" tube I've gotten 2691 on the Sierra at identical charge weights.

Greg
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I like the 107 SMKs in my Grendel better than the 123s.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thats not real world Grendel data. Most guys that are shooting 18" barrels are getting 2500 fps. At my altitude, and unusually high density altitude, the ARC does nothing more than a Grendel. I do think if youre predominantly a target or small game shooter and you dont have a Grendel then the ARC is probably a better choice since it will get attention. For larger than white tail deer sized animals and similar long range perfromance the numbers dont add up to the hype, although I do admit they are much closer to reality than the 224 Valkyrie ever was.
My Grendel data shows more retained velocity and energy past 1k than the ARC. I also shoot my 123s at 2550ish on warm days.
View Quote

If you want to load 6mm ARC to 60k PSI like your example 6.5mm Grendel load, you can get higher velocities too. People are getting 2600fps out of 18" barrels at 52k PSI in the 6mm ARC. You're comparing apples and oranges, and I'm not sure how you can push an agenda like that without even realizing the flaws in your argument. The ARC is specified with the lower pressure to ensure bolt life/reliability, but you can step on the gas just as much as you would with the 6.5mm Grendel if you wanted. There's just not a huge point to it unless you plan to shoot past 1000 at targets; 6mm ARC is still supersonic out of an 18" barrel at that distance, at 52k PSI. Loaded to the same pressure, ARC is going to trounce the Grendel at distance. Even loaded to 52k PSI it's still in-line or better than the 60k PSI 6.5mm Grendel load at 1000. Beyond 1000, I'd want another cartridge than either of these (with more powder!)

For larger than medium game, I would agree, you may want to step up in calibers. That said, I'd be looking at 6.5mm Creedmoor or larger if that's what you want to do at any distance, you just need more energy on target with heavier bullets.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I just shot my 6 mm ARC the other day for the first time. I jumped on a ballistic advantage 20-in premium barrel with a 1 and 7 twist. I'm using one of the ballistic advantage bolts as well. I was able to find some 105 grain Hornady black ammo.  At 100 i shot several 3shot groups before it malfunctioned.  They were about 2" groups.  2 would be touch or almost touch then there was always a third flyer.  The malfunction I came across was I didn't have a round seat all the way in the chamber when I pulled back on the charging handle the case came but the bullet stuck in the lands. Therefore I was done for the day. I'm wondering if the inaccuracy was coming from pressure issues with the bullets. Does anyone think it would hurt anything to seat the factory round a few thousands deeper into the case to keep this from happening again.The rounds I did shoot showed no signs of pressure and mine is a 20-in barrel with a rifle length gas system.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just shot my 6 mm ARC the other day for the first time. I jumped on a ballistic advantage 20-in premium barrel with a 1 and 7 twist. I'm using one of the ballistic advantage bolts as well. I was able to find some 105 grain Hornady black ammo.  At 100 i shot several 3shot groups before it malfunctioned.  They were about 2" groups.  2 would be touch or almost touch then there was always a third flyer.  The malfunction I came across was I didn't have a round seat all the way in the chamber when I pulled back on the charging handle the case came but the bullet stuck in the lands. Therefore I was done for the day. I'm wondering if the inaccuracy was coming from pressure issues with the bullets. Does anyone think it would hurt anything to seat the factory round a few thousands deeper into the case to keep this from happening again.The rounds I did shoot showed no signs of pressure and mine is a 20-in barrel with a rifle length gas system.
View Quote

The 105 Black ammo had two batches go out loaded too long. Call Hornady and don't shoot any more out of that batch. All the new batches should be fine. This only impacted the 105s as far as I'm aware. Yes, that is likely why you saw accuracy issues. If you're a handloader, some people have just seated them deeper with success (I am not suggesting you do this, merely passing along others have), but I would definitely still talk to Hornady about it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

The factory 105’s, at least the first two lots, were seated with an overall length of 2.245-2.250. People have found that seating them to 2.21 eliminates the issue. Hornady will set them back for you, or you can do it yourself. It may be worthwhile to contact them and see what length they recommend

Future production lots are rumored to be seated at 2.22-2.23, but the later seems a bit long for a min. spec chamber.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks guys I wasn't aware of that
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 4:55:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I spoke to Hornady on Friday, the next batches of 105's are going to be seated @ 2.200, I loaded some and seated them at this length and had no issues. The factory loads I had were loaded to 2.245 and would stick in the chamber. But they fired and ejected properly, only problem was when you tried to eject a live round. I never had one stick so hard as to pull the bullet out of the case.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#31]
One serious concern about the 6 MM ARC has been a reliable quality magazine.   I have had a couple of quality control issues with 6.5 Grendel magazine but the designs seem proven.  It is poor production samples that create the problem with 6.5 Grendel mags.   C Products Defense Duramag just released a new twenty round 6.5 Grendel mag which should function with the 6 MM ARC.  I purchased two of the 20 round CPD/Duramag magazines and they were delivered yesterday.

So far I really like these new CPD/D 20 round mags.  I did a review which is posted in the magazine section here on ARF.com.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/New-CPD-Duramag-20-round-6-5-Grendel-magazine/17-755088/
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
One serious concern about the 6 MM ARC has been a reliable quality magazine.   I have had a couple of quality control issues with 6.5 Grendel magazine but the designs seem proven.  It is poor production samples that create the problem with 6.5 Grendel mags.   C Products Defense Duramag just released a new twenty round 6.5 Grendel mag which should function with the 6 MM ARC.  I purchased two of the 20 round CPD/Duramag magazines and they were delivered yesterday.

So far I really like these new CPD/D 20 round mags.  I did a review which is posted in the magazine section here on ARF.com.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/New-CPD-Duramag-20-round-6-5-Grendel-magazine/17-755088/
View Quote

The “new” CPD magazines have all supposedly been high quality since the ownership changes. I’ve got some of the 26rd and some of the 10rd which I’ve had no issues with. Thanks for the review of the 20s, I’m on the fence about them now. Do they extend past the grip? I saw your pictures but perspective makes it hard to see. I use the 10rd when shooting prone but it would be nice to run the 20s. The 26 round models are too long to do this successfully. If you’ve got a 26rd duramag around you could compare with the 20, with a ruler that would be awesome!
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
One serious concern about the 6 MM ARC has been a reliable quality magazine.
View Quote

Kinda wish they had reduced the case taper a little, would have made magazine design for the AR magwell easier, and they'd fit mag pouches, but would have necessitated new design magazines.

Then again, if they wanted to go this far, could have just gone with 6mm BRX, Dasher or something else from the 6mm BR family.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#34]
This basically seems like a 6mm Fat Rat. I've had one of those for a decade.

B
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The “new” CPD magazines have all supposedly been high quality since the ownership changes. I’ve got some of the 26rd and some of the 10rd which I’ve had no issues with. Thanks for the review of the 20s, I’m on the fence about them now. Do they extend past the grip? I saw your pictures but perspective makes it hard to see. I use the 10rd when shooting prone but it would be nice to run the 20s. The 26 round models are too long to do this successfully. If you’ve got a 26rd duramag around you could compare with the 20, with a ruler that would be awesome!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t own any 26 round CPD/Duramag magazines but I tried to get a picture of my Rifle on a bipod with CPD/D mag in the well.

I tried to get pictures with the 20 round CPD/D mag in the well of my 18” 6.5 Grendel.  It is to late in the day to get decent lighting.   This is the best I could get.

Here is a picture of my 16” 6.5 Grendel taken on a different day with a 17 round E-Lander in the well.    The 20 round CPD/D and 17 round E-Lander work well for me shooting off the bench or from a bipod.  That is a Harris Bipod in the picture with both rifles.

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Thank you, looks like a good fit!
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#37]
This is not a good picture but the 18” 6.5 Grendel has a 24 round E-Lander mag in the well.  The pistol grip is not touching the step because the height of the mag.   The bipod is at the lowest position in all three pictures.  The length of the 26 round CPD/Duramag would hit the step in a similar manner.

Link Posted: 8/3/2020 12:45:46 AM EDT
[#38]
These cartridge "discussions" are entertaining.

This cartridge had been around and shot/reloaded extensively for over 10 years. Absolutely nothing new here. 6mmAR, 6mm Predator, 6mm Grendel exc.

It's better at long range/target shooting then a equivalent length barreled 6.5 Grendel. Period. Not an opinion, a mathematical fact

6.5 Grendel will put more energy on game at ranges these cartridges are effective. Some might debate the difference is negligable, but hey, that's a discussion for itself.

Hornady did what Hornady does and SAAMI an already proven ballistic flyer and market the shit out of it (6.5 A-square/260 Remington =6.5 Creedmoor, 6mm Creedmoor was winning competitions long before Hornady SAAMI spec'd. A byproduct of this is relatively good brass/factory ammo and reloading components.

Link Posted: 8/3/2020 6:48:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Really wish I could find a barrel in stock somewhere
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Kinda wish they had reduced the case taper a little, would have made magazine design for the AR magwell easier, and they'd fit mag pouches, but would have necessitated new design magazines.

Then again, if they wanted to go this far, could have just gone with 6mm BRX, Dasher or something else from the 6mm BR family.
View Quote

The BR family is pretty fat to put in an AR. Capacity suffers greatly and you’re back to a totally proprietary system. I know it’s been done on a custom basis but seems like a poor choice for what they were trying to accomplish.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rainier has Proof barrels in stock.

https://www.rainierarms.com/proof-research-stainless-steel-6mm-arc-barrel-18/
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Just ordered one for my son to gift to him for his birthday that is coming up. I had a BA barrel on order since 6/12, so I cancelled that order. Now the ammo needs to come around. I am good for awhile, have 440 rounds and I reload. But would ultimately like to have at least 2k.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#44]

That heavy 14.5 seems like it would make for a very fun Recce build...  Must resist...
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks guys for the links.  That proof research may be the one but i was hoping for 20”
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Altus has Proof steel barrels in stock.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I picked up the proof research 18”

Now just waiting for other parts to come in stock
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I've been experimenting with an 18" AR-15 as well as 18" (Cz527) and 28" (Mausingfield) bolt actions.

AR-15- 18" Proof stainless 7.5 twist:
108's : ~ .4-.8 MOA 5 shot groups, 2595fps
105's: ~.7-1.2 MOA 5 shot groups, 2670fps
103 vapor trail reloads: .4-.6 MOA, 2640fps  (AA 2520)

CZ 527 18" bolt gun, Bartlein 7.5 twist 5r barrel:
103 eldx reloads (55-60ksi!!!): .3-.6 MOA, 2705fps avg.   Could run these faster if I wanted to.

Mausingfield 28", Proof stainless 7.5 twist barrel:
60-63000PSI!!!
110 A-tip, LeverEvolution, 2920-2940fps
108 ELD, LeverEvolution, 2880 and 2930fps loads both shoot really well.

All handloads are within published load data.

I've been shooting local precision matches and NRL matches with the 28" bolt gun and coming from a 6.5 Creedmoor I haven't given up any trajectory, but I have basically eliminated recoil.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 3:12:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've been experimenting with an 18" AR-15 as well as 18" (Cz527) and 28" (Mausingfield) bolt actions.

103 eldx reloads (55-60ksi!!!): .3-.6 MOA, 2705fps avg.   Could run these faster if I wanted to.

60-63000PSI!!!

I've been shooting local precision matches and NRL matches with the 28" bolt gun and coming from a 6.5 Creedmoor I haven't given up any trajectory, but I have basically eliminated recoil.
View Quote

Which bolt face are you using for the Mausingfield?
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

60-63000PSI!!!

View Quote

Good to know.  Still can’t get small rifle primers so I’ll just have to be patient.

Gotta stick with shooting my 6mm AI for now
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top