AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hodgdon lists the 6.5G max load  Sierra 123gr HPBT, with a G1 BC of .510,  at 2508fps out of a 24" barrel.

You are saying real world the 6mm ARC sees 2600fps with the .536 G1 108gr ELD-M out of a barrel 6" shorter?

Am I mis-calculating something? That is significantly better performance, even giving the 6.5 the 6" barrel advantage.
View Quote

That data from Hodgdon is incredibly conservative.  I do like the ballistics this 6mm offers though. Could be a great coyote round.
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That data from Hodgdon is incredibly conservative.  I do like the ballistics this 6mm offers though. Could be a great coyote round.
View Quote

I personally would not chase MV in a gas gun -- operating pressures need to stay below 52k psi for reasonable bolt life. High BC bullets @ moderate velocities is kinda the point of 6ARC and 6.5G out of an AR15.

A bolt gun, of course, is a different story.

Link Posted: 9/6/2020 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I personally would not chase MV in a gas gun -- operating pressures need to stay below 52k psi for reasonable bolt life. High BC bullets @ moderate velocities is kinda the point of 6ARC and 6.5G out of an AR15.

A bolt gun, of course, is a different story.

View Quote

I have been doing load development for this platform for about two months now, have loaded 85, 95, 100, 105, and 108 grain bullets using various powders. The two powders that I have found that work the best have been CFE223 and Leverevolution. Both loaded to within about .02 of their max loads being the best options so far.

The best so far has been the Nossler RDF 105's loaded to 29.4 gn. at 2680 FPS. They literally shoot ragged one hole shots at .5 MOA at 100 yards, the groups were so tight I thought that I was missing the target and intentionally aimed off center so I could see POI. The other nice thing about this round is the low flat recoil response. You can actually see your POI looking through the scope.

I don't think you have to shoot for the ultra high velocity of this round, the high BC bullets loose very little velocity shooting at distance, and they are heavy enough that wind effects them very little. It is hard to believe the accuracy of this platform out of a DI gun, and my next build will likely be a bolt gun in 6mm ARC. The round is very cheap to reload, but is on par with some of the big boys costing way more money to load. Even at today's inflated component cost I have about .35 per round for match grade bullets excluding the cost of the brass because it was recovered from factory rounds fired through my gun.

If you decide to go this route get a match grade barrel, I have three barrels, two of them are built, an Odin Works 18" and a Faxon 20". The Odin match barrel shoots better than the Faxon, but the Faxon only has about 100 rounds through it right now and it may just need to settle in after some more shooting. But it still shoots sub MOA at .8 at 100 yards. Both barrels have the Odin Atlas muzzle brake on them, and it is an awesome brake.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#4]
@Dino11

Any more results from your Odin? Still printing “1/3moa” at distance?
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@Dino11

View Quote

As long as I am doing my job it is at 300 yards, opens up some at 600 to .4-.5. I must have been having a good day at the range. I was at the range last weekend and the owner was in the lane next to me, he had a spotter and he was checking out my 300 yard target and my 600 steel plate. They finally came over and asked me what I was shooting. I told them it was a 6mm ARC, they had never heard of it. I let the owner sit behind it for a five shot group. He said that it shot better than his 6.5 Creedmore, he was thoroughly impressed. I did let him shoot my pet loads. He said he was going to check into one of these as he had never shot a DI gun that shot such tight groups.

I was talking to Travis and Mike at Odin earlier in the week and they said that they are getting other reports of folks getting the same results as me. My barrel has a tight chamber and I had to throw all the Hornady load data out the window and come up with my own, But the Faxon 20" barrel also has a tight chamber but not quite as tight as the Odin. It shoots pretty good and I expect it to get better as it is a Nitrided barrel and needs to wear in and foul some as the velocity number pretty much match the numbers to the "T" of my 18" barrel. It makes me wonder if it's not the rifle gas +2" that is making up the difference as the dwell time is a little longer.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As long as I am doing my job it is at 300 yards, opens up some at 600 to .4-.5. I must have been having a good day at the range. I was at the range last weekend and the owner was in the lane next to me, he had a spotter and he was checking out my 300 yard target and my 600 steel plate. They finally came over and asked me what I was shooting. I told them it was a 6mm ARC, they had never heard of it. I let the owner sit behind it for a five shot group. He said that it shot better than his 6.5 Creedmore, he was thoroughly impressed. I did let him shoot my pet loads. He said he was going to check into one of these as he had never shot a DI gun that shot such tight groups.

I was talking to Travis and Mike at Odin earlier in the week and they said that they are getting other reports of folks getting the same results as me. My barrel has a tight chamber and I had to throw all the Hornady load data out the window and come up with my own, But the Faxon 20" barrel also has a tight chamber but not quite as tight as the Odin. It shoots pretty good and I expect it to get better as it is a Nitrided barrel and needs to wear in and foul some as the velocity number pretty much match the numbers to the "T" of my 18" barrel. It makes me wonder if it's not the rifle gas +2" that is making up the difference as the dwell time is a little longer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Dino11

You have any way to film groups at 100 or 300yds?

The multiple 8 shot 1/3moa groups you posted before with factory ammo at 300yds just seemed too good to be true. One group looked to have 6rds in the same hole, sub .1moa, which seemed almost impossible at that distance with the std. dev. of the ammo.

Who is Travis and Mike at Odin?

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 4:55:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You have any way to film groups at 100 or 300yds?

The multiple 8 shot 1/3moa groups you posted before with factory ammo at 300yds just seemed too good to be true. One group looked to have 6rds in the same hole, sub .1moa, which seemed almost impossible at that distance with the std. dev. of the ammo.

Who is Travis and Mike at Odin?

View Quote

Questioning the validity of my claim is not technical. I was under the impression this was a technical forum, not GD. I also posted the pictures, the ammo was factory Hornady MATCH GRADE. I have shot precision rifles for 40 years. Until you have shot this round through a match grade barrel using match grade ammo, don't question if it is possible, I am not the only person making these claims. Call Odin and ask them for yourself.

Mike is the owner.

Travis is his main technical support man.

I was just trying to answer a technical question for a forum member that had a legitimate technical question.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have been doing load development for this platform for about two months now, have loaded 85, 95, 100, 105, and 108 grain bullets using various powders. The two powders that I have found that work the best have been CFE223 and LeveRevolution. Both loaded to within about .02 of their max loads being the best options so far.

The best so far has been the Nosler RDF 105s loaded to 29.4 gn. at 2680 FPS. They literally shoot ragged one hole shots at .5 MOA at 100 yards, the groups were so tight I thought that I was missing the target and intentionally aimed off center so I could see POI. The other nice thing about this round is the low flat recoil response. You can actually see your POI looking through the scope.

I don't think you have to shoot for the ultra high velocity of this round, the high BC bullets loose very little velocity shooting at distance, and they are heavy enough that wind effects them very little. It is hard to believe the accuracy of this platform out of a DI gun, and my next build will likely be a bolt gun in 6mm ARC. The round is very cheap to reload, but is on par with some of the big boys costing way more money to load. Even at today's inflated component cost I have about .35 per round for match grade bullets excluding the cost of the brass because it was recovered from factory rounds fired through my gun.

If you decide to go this route get a match grade barrel, I have three barrels, two of them are built, an Odin Works 18" and a Faxon 20". The Odin match barrel shoots better than the Faxon, but the Faxon only has about 100 rounds through it right now and it may just need to settle in after some more shooting. But it still shoots sub MOA at .8 at 100 yards. Both barrels have the Odin Atlas muzzle brake on them, and it is an awesome brake.
View Quote

thanks for the tips and insight, @Dino11
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Questioning the validity of my claim is not technical. I was under the impression this was a technical forum, not GD. I also posted the pictures, the ammo was factory Hornady MATCH GRADE. I have shot precision rifles for 40 years. Until you have shot this round through a match grade barrel using match grade ammo, don't question if it is possible, I am not the only person making these claims. Call Odin and ask them for yourself.

Mike is the owner.

Travis is his main technical support man.

I was just trying to answer a technical question for a forum member that had a legitimate technical question.
View Quote

Maybe Odin is a smaller company than what I am assuming, but I’d imagine it’s hard to call the owner. But, it is odd that the person making some “impressive” claims would be in direct communication with a owner.

There are several groups dedicated to the 6ARC and there have been a few Odin barrels tested with good results. Most have been in the 0.6-0.8moa range at 100yds; none have been in the 0.3moa range that I’ve observed. But, I would love to see someone get those results with a gas gun and factory ammo at 300yds consistently.

Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Maybe Odin is a smaller company than what I am assuming, but I’d imagine it’s hard to call the owner. But, it is odd that the person making some “impressive” claims would be in direct communication with a owner.

There are several groups dedicated to the 6ARC and there have been a few Odin barrels tested with good results. Most have been in the 0.6-0.8moa range at 100yds; none have been in the 0.3moa range that I’ve observed. But, I would love to see someone get those results with a gas gun and factory ammo at 300yds consistently.

View Quote

I just watched Johnny's Reloading Bench on YT shoot a .35" 5 shot group at 100 using an Odin barrel and handloaded 6ARC 108gr ELD-X ammo, so I know it's possible.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I just watched Johnny's Reloading Bench on YT shoot a .35" 5 shot group at 100 using an Odin barrel and handloaded 6ARC 108gr ELD-X ammo, so I know it's possible.
View Quote

Yes, but his initial claim was numerous sub 1/3moa 8 shot groups at 300yds, with factory ammo and a Vortex HST scope. The factory ammo used has since been modified since introduced because it was too long and was jamming into the lands.

In one group, 6rds went into the same hole at “300yds”. The std. dev. alone from factory ammo makes that a bit hard to believe. At 100yds, yes, it can happen. It does happen. But as distance increases, it becomes harder to achieve.

And yes, this is a tech. forum, but we should be able to discuss results and claims. If something is allowed to be posted but not questioned, it doesn’t serve much help to others as wild claims would likely flourish.

6ARC results
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Odin has about 40 employees, the have only been in business 12 years. Was started by Tom Hines he has been in the firearms business for a long time. I believe Mike came on board a while later. It is a company that any one might answer the phone, and if you want to talk to someone specific just let them know and within a few minutes you get a return call. At least that has been my experience.

Just about everything they sell is made in house. They have something like 30 machines to make the stuff. I was told last week that they pump out about 40 of these barrels a day.And they told I could send it back for repair or replacement, I told them that it shot to good to mess with it at this time. I wanted to shoot it some and see if it would need to go back. I have measured the chamber and it has a tight chamber just a tad under spec. But I can still make ammo that is still within SAAMI spec. I have since done reloads with variouse powders and experimented with different lead jumps, and by chance have stumbled across what seems to be the sweet spot for this particular barrel. This is why it shoots so well. It loves Leverevolution and 105gn Nossler RDF bullets more so than the 108 EDL's. But the 108's still do very well and I am still working on that load.

The only ammo with the issue are the Hornady 105's, I don't load those even though I have some. They make me want to pull my hair out, they still give me issues at the new spec for them.

More business's need to take more interest in their customers like these folks.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top