BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/12/2018 8:01:54 PM EDT
I'm sure someone has posted something in relation to this topic previously, so please excuse me if this is a duplication. However, I'm super pissed at PSA right about now. I purchased a STNGR HWK handguard that I was super amped to receive this past weekend. My VG6 muzzle break came in, as well as my single point sling. All of the final touches to finishing my build. I purchased a mag block to secure my upper, and a picked up an upper vice block just in case. Additionally I picked up the Magpul barrel nut wrench to remove it. For some apparent reason PSA torque specifications are WELL BEYOND THE normal set-point of 30-60. I literally ended up breaking my upper while in the block. I recognize I'm a novice to an extent, but something as simple as this should not warrant a Masters Degree for success. Is there anyone else out thats experienced this type of situation and outcome.

I'm in the process of deciding now between a BCM upper and comparing the prices of a piece-by-piece build. Any thoughts or advice/suggestions for sites to visit that will provide the best prices?

Pissed Customer - It's safe to say, I'll never buy another PSA Barrel. Fool me once, but never a 2nd time.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I never buy anything assembled from PSA.

2 uppers I bought from them I could literally suspend all 200 of my pounds trying to get those nuts off. (yes haha I said get their nuts off)
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Really...?

Another first post bash, because you don't know what you are doing?

Sad!

Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a bunch of Palmetto uppers and have had good luck with them.

A year or two ago, they had an upper on sale with a free float handguard. The whole package price was low, I got it just to break it down for parts. I could not have gotten an upper receiver and "shooter grade" barrel for less cost. The free float tube had a steel barrel nut with nice big flats on it. Easy to grip with a wrench, so I thought getting it loose would be fairly simple.

I had also come to the conclusion that for breaking barrel nuts free that it is better to put the barrel in a vice, not the action, so you are not torquing against the thin aluminum receiver.

Anyway, I damn near burst disks in my back getting the barrel nut off on the first one. I used a 3' tube over the wrench to break it free. But, my vice was pretty poorly secured, so I was fighting against that.

Next step: at my brothers house, I put a few drops of Kroil on both sides of the barrel nut on the next 2 uppers. Let it sit for an afternoon. Clamped in the barrel on a much heavier work bench. Broke the barrel nut free with very modest effort. Still used an extension on the wrench, but the kroil and the better bench made a big difference.

Though I still think Palmetto is great, they should be a bit more careful to not over-tighten their barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you mean by "mag block"? Do you mean a lower vise block that fits in the magwell? If that's what you had the rifle mounted on when you tried to remove the barrel nut, that was your problem.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, its widely known that PSA employs the gorilla from the zoo in Columbia, SC to tighten their barrel nuts.  However, if you know what you're doing, it can be removed without damaging anything.

You don't even need any fancy vice blocks.  I've clamped the upper in the vice sideways with a scrap of 1/4" plywood on each side to act as soft jaws before.  Its oriented so the top and the bottom surfaces are being clamped down on.  Then the appropriate wrench or crow's foot on the end of a 2ft long breaker bar gets the barrel nut off.

As far as advice, I say chalk that one up to experience.  Go buy yourself a $50 stripped upper and move everything over from the broken one.  No need spending $200 for some name brand upper when you can get an anderson or Aero precision one thats just as mil-spec.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#8]
It's easy to break stuff when you don't know what you're doing and not using the proper tools (at least it doesn't sound like you were).

Mind posting what you had the upper secured with while you were torquing on the barrel nut?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Mag block to work on an upper?

Incorrect torque specs posted?

I have taken off some nuts that required a huge cheater pipe and a little hanging to bust them loose.  Never once have I damaged an upper.

How exactly did you damage it?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:40:21 AM EDT
[#10]
An upper clamshell device is what you should use for loosing a barrel nut, not a mag block. I use the Wheeler Delta series one. It also has an insert that helps to support the inside of upper. There are others like it from other vendors. Also, how do you know what the removal torque was. The only way to know what the removal torque is/was, would be to use a digital bi-directional torque wrench. I have my doubts that you did. Go read this thread to get an idea of the correct tools to use. I'm certain we'll all be waiting with bated breath for your sincere and humble apology.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Sheared-index-pin/66-727940/
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I literally snapped my freaking upper in half. Like WTF PSA. As I mentioned before, never again will I purchase from them after this experience. I'm sure many have never experienced this, as I would assume plenty of people are not into modifying there rifles. I for one love the ability to Swop darn near every part on my rifle. Thanks PSA for making this experience crappy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll agree to disagree respectfully.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the share. At least I can say I'm not the only person to experience this and that it's not just because of inexperience with the rifle. This isn't rocket scientist at the end of the day. Proper tools & technique "Should" equate to a successful outcome and ease of job. That is simply Not the case as it relates to this specific task and PSA.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Very much appreciated
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the share. At least I can say I'm not the only person to experience this and that it's not just because of inexperience with the rifle. This isn't rocket scientist at the end of the day. Proper tools & technique "Should" equate to a successful outcome and ease of job. That is simply Not the case as it relates to this specific task and PSA.
View Quote
Please show us the tool you used to hold the upper in place while snapping it in half.

Question for you - if you had taken your upper to a competent gunsmith - do you think he would have snapped your upper in half?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I ended up buying the Wheeler part after starting out with a Mag Block because I realized I wasn't getting proper support.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I ended up buying the Wheeler part after starting out with a Mag Block because I realized I wasn't getting proper support.
View Quote
Specifically - which tool did you use where the upper snapped in half?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm ok with the construction criticism from folks (sarcastic or genuine). I actually expect it from some. I'm sure none of the people with those types of comments have ever damaged any parts on any of their rifle builds.... #Positive

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Post pics of the busted upper and the tools you used.  Feel free to IM links to the photos if you need help posting them.

@PalmettoStateArmory for input.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I have tore down one or two from them and found they were no better or worse than a few other brands I have disassembled, BCM among them.

But everyone gets flukes sometimes, so I am happy I was one of those people.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#23]
[nevermind]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#24]
The magwell vise block is for installing triggers and other little things... You did know about this, right OP?

I know that there are some YouTube videos that show the magwell vise blocks being used for things that they were not meant to be used for.

I'm not a PSA fan, but I don't think that they are at fault here.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
That’s interesting, as I’ve torn down more than a few PSA uppers without damage to any components.

Care to post some pics of the tool you used and your broken upper?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I can wholeheartedly appreciate your honesty. It appears these forums turn into bashing sessions so easily. I for one am not in the business of attempting to putting another individual down for their experiences. The inability to provide constructive criticism, helpful tips, and/or shared like experiences typically showcases ones double digit intellect.

Again, thanks for the reply and for not being one of those people.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#27]
So you aren't going to tell us?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I can wholeheartedly appreciate your honesty. It appears these forums turn into bashing sessions so easily. I for one am not in the business of attempting to putting another individual down for their experiences. The inability to provide constructive criticism, helpful tips, and/or shared like experiences typically showcases ones double digit intellect.

View Quote
@Hebrew_Battle_Rifle is another one of your accounts?

@Aimless
@PalmettoStateArmory

For reference if you missed some similar acusation posting about PSA where the OP failed to back his complaint in a reasonable time or manner:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Palmetto-State-Armory-has-lost-a-customer-/5-2109794/

Maybe this thread will get us matching uppers or completion kits for those limited edition Gremlin lowers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@Aimless
@PalmettoStateArmory

For reference if you missed some similar acusation posting about PSA where the OP failed to back his complaint in a reasonable time or manner:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Palmetto-State-Armory-has-lost-a-customer-/5-2109794/

Maybe this thread will get us matching uppers or completion kits for those limited edition Gremlin lowers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Remind us again, who started the bashing in this thread?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:47:21 PM EDT
[#31]
IPFG (Illiterate Poop Flinging Gremlin) reporting for duty!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@Aimless
@PalmettoStateArmory

View Quote
I like the way you think! In on 1! How about some pictures OP?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm sure someone has posted something in relation to this topic previously, so please excuse me if this is a duplication. However, I'm super pissed at PSA right about now. I purchased a STNGR HWK handguard that I was super amped to receive this past weekend. My VG6 muzzle break came in, as well as my single point sling. All of the final touches to finishing my build. I purchased a mag block to secure my upper, and a picked up an upper vice block just in case. Additionally I picked up the Magpul barrel nut wrench to remove it. For some apparent reason PSA torque specifications are WELL BEYOND THE normal set-point of 30-60. I literally ended up breaking my upper while in the block. I recognize I'm a novice to an extent, but something as simple as this should not warrant a Masters Degree for success. Is there anyone else out thats experienced this type of situation and outcome.

I'm in the process of deciding now between a BCM upper and comparing the prices of a piece-by-piece build. Any thoughts or advice/suggestions for sites to visit that will provide the best prices?

Pissed Customer - It's safe to say, I'll never buy another PSA Barrel. Fool me once, but never a 2nd time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
@clyles803
So you used the wrong tool for the job.
You only changed it out to a receiver block after you were cranking on the barrel nut.
Any online tutorials (here or youtube) would show that you needed an upper receiver block, not a magwell block to remove a barrel nut.
Toque to remove is not the same as what was applied when installing.
BCM uppers are known to be difficult to remove the barrel. If you had trouble with PSA's it would have been even worse with BCM's
I suggest you read up here.

I still consider myself a novice but I research everything before I actually do it. I wouldn't go blaming the manufacturer(who is a site sponsor) if it was I who broke the receiver due to using improper tools for the job.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

..snip...
View Quote
We got GremlinTM lowers for HBR, looks like we are getting Magwell BlockTM uppers to mate them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, no pics then?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#36]
pics or GTFO.

ETA

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I had the same problem with a PSA Dissipator upper.  Tried using a reaction rod, then clam shell, then back to reaction rod.  The PSA barrel nut finally came off after a bit of struggle.  Zero grease on the threads-bone dry (at least they didn't put loctite on it), and torqued to god knows what.  I've assembled/disassembled several AR's and have sworn to never work on another PSA.  PSA is priced cheap for a reason.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Meh, more for me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok, We're at it again.

Love these threads. OP...

You have been requested for photos of the damage. Please post them or mail them to someone here to post. We will happily do it for you. You can IM me if you like and I will post them for you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 7:52:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I still don't understand why people don't at least buy a BEV Block. I love that thing.

I've assembled and dissembled quite a few ARs using one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Vice blocks for the barrel, any other way you MAY risk breaking something.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Hebrew battle rifle got a new screen name?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Vice blocks for the barrel, any other way you MAY risk breaking something.
View Quote
Barrel blocks for muzzle device work.  Receiver block for barrel nut work.

Using barrel blocks for the barrel nut runs the risk of shearing the index pin, same as a standard reaction rod.

Always clamp the part that has the most torque being transferred to it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#45]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScGPRsHSkaE
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#46]
In on a custom limited edition PSA upper.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is why you use a Geissele reaction rod. Come on man, you are making SC look bad!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#48]
You guys crack me up. Post pictures? Ha! The OP can't even remove a barrel nut without destroying his upper. Postings pictures is wayyyyyy outside of his abilities. Post pictures, I don't care what anyone says, that right there is funny.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This is why you use a Geissele reaction rod. Come on man, you are making SC look bad!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He isn’t trying to snap his indexing pin.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Barrel blocks for muzzle device work.  Receiver block for barrel nut work.

Using barrel blocks for the barrel nut runs the risk of shearing the index pin, same as a standard reaction rod.

Always clamp the part that has the most torque being transferred to it.
View Quote
ARMY TM, and Air Force TO instructs armorers to: "Place upper receiver and barrel assembly (1) into barrel removal fixture and clamp into machinist’s vise." basically barrel blocks for a vise....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top