Quoted:
[/ hellofafirstpost.gif ]
View Quote
But is he familiar?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ARMY TM, and Air Force TO instructs armorers to: "Place upper receiver and barrel assembly (1) into barrel removal fixture and clamp into machinist’s vise." basically barrel blocks for a vise....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Barrel blocks for muzzle device work.  Receiver block for barrel nut work.

Using barrel blocks for the barrel nut runs the risk of shearing the index pin, same as a standard reaction rod.

Always clamp the part that has the most torque being transferred to it.
ARMY TM, and Air Force TO instructs armorers to: "Place upper receiver and barrel assembly (1) into barrel removal fixture and clamp into machinist’s vise." basically barrel blocks for a vise....
Provided the “barrel removal fixture” is actually what you’re describing it as (barrel blocks), do you think .mil cares if a single barrel gets trashed?

There have been more than enough examples of people shearing index pins by clamping the wrong part for barrel nut work (muzzle device work as well).  Will it happen every time?  No?  Does it increase the chance of the issue happening?  Yes.

Use some common sense and examine the physics of what you’re doing.  Processes can always be revised and improved.  Falling back on the TM/TO as the end all, be all is not the smart way to go about doing things.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I never buy anything assembled from PSA.

2 uppers I bought from them I could literally suspend all 200 of my pounds trying to get those nuts off. (yes haha I said get their nuts off)
View Quote
My 11.5 PSA upper came apart readily so I could install an MLock handguard.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Provided the “barrel removal fixture” is actually what you’re describing it as (barrel blocks), do you think .mil cares if a single barrel gets trashed?

There have been more than enough examples of people shearing index pins by clamping the wrong part for barrel nut work (muzzle device work as well).  Will it happen every time?  No?  Does it increase the chance of the issue happening?  Yes.

Use some common sense and examine the physics of what you’re doing.  Processes can always be revised and improved.  Falling back on the TM/TO as the end all, be all is not the smart way to go about doing things.
View Quote
Peace
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
That was written before the clamshell upper block was invented.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That was written before the clamshell upper block was invented.
View Quote
Yes, I have both, and usually use the "clamshell" for fresh builds, I like to torque in the lower end of the range.

As for the OP, and a very tight stubborn "PSA" installed barrel nut, I would have used barrel vise blocks to loosen.  My two cents... it's too late anyway because OP already broke stuff!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Train wreck.
Learn about the quote button FFS
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I have never taken apart an upper before.

I do know its "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey", unless you have left handed threads.

You did wrench in the correct direction, right?

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:30:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Would very much like to see a pic of snapped in half upper. I recently purchased an upper (not PSA) that failed function test and I tore it down vs calling and complaining.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:32:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Should have clamped the barrel, not the upper receiver.

If you had trouble removing a PSA barrel nut, I certainly wouldn't recommend buying a BCM upper. Their gorilla uses a cheater bar during install.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:44:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Should have clamped the barrel, not the upper receiver.

If you had trouble removing a PSA barrel nut, I certainly wouldn't recommend buying a BCM upper. Their gorilla uses a cheater bar during install.
View Quote
Once again, no.  While it may work 95% of the time, you run the risk of shearing an index pin using this method.  It’s no different than using a standard reaction rod for barrel nut work.  I think we just had a sheared index pin thread earlier this week/late last week from someone securing their barrel for barrel nut work.  Clamp the part that is having the most torque transferred to it.

OP is either full of shit, doesn’t know what he’s doing/talking about, or a combination of both, because there’s no way he cracked an upper in half using a quality clamshell block in the proper manner.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Once again, no.  While it may work 95% of the time, you run the risk of shearing an index pin using this method.  It’s no different than using a standard reaction rod for barrel nut work.  I think we just had a sheared index pin thread earlier this week/late last week from someone securing their barrel for barrel nut work.  Clamp the part that is having the most torque transferred to it.

OP is either full of shit, doesn’t know what he’s doing/talking about, or a combination of both, because there’s no way he cracked an upper in half using a quality clamshell block in the proper manner.
View Quote
All of this, right here.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#15]
RRA used to (maybe still does) use Red Loctite on their barrel nuts...
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not on any RRA I ever got, and I have had several.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Neither of mine have Loctite.

Eta: the blue Loctite on the REs are a pain in the ass though.  Damn.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither of mine have Loctite.

Eta: the blue Loctite on the REs are a pain in the ass though.  Damn.
I have a heatgun that hangs on my workbench.  It is super, super useful and I break up blue and red loctite with it no problem.  It also helps a lot with muzzle devices that are stuck, tight gas blocks, or barrel nuts that are gouged or crazy stuck.  I use it WAY more than I ever dreamed I would.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not worth the time digging into the archives circa 2005-2008.
But there were threads about it then.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I use my heat gun on a daily basis for several things including the guns.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#22]
This hasn't been my experience with PSA, but I'm a sample size of one.  I completely disassembled and reassembled a 300BO upper I bought from them to make sure that grease was used and to tidy up alignment of the rail.  Barrel nut torque wasn't crazy and it was properly greased anyway.  It's a great shooter.

Before you go over about 100 to 120 ft-lbs to loosen, you need to try heat and then penetrating oil.  Jumping up and down on a yard long cheater bar on a brand new upper shouldn't be necessary.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This hasn't been my experience with PSA, but I'm a sample size of one.  I completely disassembled and reassembled a 300BO upper I bought from them to make sure that grease was used and to tidy up alignment of the rail.  Barrel nut torque wasn't crazy and it was properly greased anyway.  It's a great shooter.

Before you go over about 100 to 120 ft-lbs to loosen, you need to try heat and then penetrating oil.  Jumping up and down on a yard long cheater bar on a brand new upper shouldn't be necessary.
View Quote
This was my exact experiance too, I was actually swapping to a slick side upper instead and it came apart like it had grease on it.

Also I took mine apart on a Geissele RR and had no issue. I know people have issues, but so far so good... hoping my luck holds
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#24]
OP, where'd you go???  We were just getting started.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
IPFG (Illiterate Poop Flinging Gremlin) reporting for duty!
View Quote
X2
One of the waits I referred to in hbr's thread is over.

Psa upper with a gorilla
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Illiterate Poop Flinging Gremlin reporting for duty.

Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Boy, this thread is going on way to long, the OP, didn't get the reaction he hope for and has turned tail and ran!

Link Posted: 6/15/2018 12:40:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes another one of these posts
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 1:18:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

X2
One of the waits I referred to in hbr's thread is over.

Psa upper with a gorilla
View Quote
LOL gorilla upper.
Poop Flinging Gremlin lower.

I think I'll look up an engraver and get the upper engraved with King Kong with a cheater bar with a pissed off look on his face in one hand split upper in the other.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 6:48:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#31]
I wouldn't normally bother to reply, but I am a PSA fan.  I reccomend them often.  I've built many rifles and pistols with their kits.  I have and have had several of their uppers.  Helped friends with a LOT more.  I've taken a part many of their uppers to swap out handguards.  I don't remember a single issue.  I use a Promag, of all brands, clamshell I use in a vise for all barrel/upper work.  I use barrel clamps for muzzle work unless I'm dealing with a short barrel and willing to risk it.  
I get it, AR's are "easy to work on" but you still have to work within your limits and there are processes that the right tool is damn near a requirement unless you are willing to risk the damage.  Buying $1k worth of AR specific tools may not be in your budget, but replacing damaged/broken parts is the trade off for not using the right tool and having the knowledge for the job.

My mentor gunsmith always told me, there are two types of people who work on guns, one of them is a gunsmith.  While AR work rarely requires a "gunsmith" DIY work requires the understanding of risk and limitations.

I do not envy companies like PSA and the people they have to deal with.  All of my experiences with them have been positive and as long as that the case, they will continue to get my business.

Rant over.  Build on ARFcommers, build on.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#32]
In.

OP needs to post pics of the tools used and the damaged upper.

Until then, I'm thinking OP is to blame.

PS,

In for a matching Poop Flinging Gremlin upper
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#33]
These rant threadsjust end up costing all of us money

Off to the daily deals...
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I literally snapped my freaking upper in half. Like WTF PSA. As I mentioned before, never again will I purchase from them after this experience. I'm sure many have never experienced this, as I would assume plenty of people are not into modifying there rifles. I for one love the ability to Swop darn near every part on my rifle. Thanks PSA for making this experience crappy.
View Quote
I modify the hell out if everything. I mill 80s. I build from scratch and tear down completely. I have 34 orders in my history with PSA.

I have never broken anything, or had to return anything or even contact customer service at PSA.

Lame to blame others for your learning curve.

Welcome to the forum btw. You should share this in GD.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#36]
OP please post pictures of tools used and outcome.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah he looks to have posted about the bashing as opposed to constructive critisism, then logged out and not come back.

Kills me when people cannot see that they cause the critisism of themselves when failing to give the people being asked for help what they need to help people out.

A few pics and all the bashing would have disappeared.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#39]
I didn't have any trouble getting off the barrel nut that I received on an assembled upper from PSA. I used a bev block and a tapco armorers wrench. 10/10 would buy again.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A few pics and all the bashing would have disappeared.
View Quote
Oh hell no...

It would have continued with hysteria.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't have clamshell, only a reaction rod.  I think I need to buy a clamshell and a PSA upper to try it on.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Oh hell no...

It would have continued with hysteria.
View Quote
Ok ok... I forgot where I am
But yeah at least he would have also gotten better help finding out what he did wrong
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Be sure to work it over with a mag block first, to season it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have clamshell, only a reaction rod.  I think I need to buy a clamshell and a PSA upper to try it on.
Be sure to work it over with a mag block first, to season it.
Bahahahahahahahahahah

But in truth I took mine apart with a reaction rod, of course that was before I knew they caused sheared index pins
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Still in for pics...
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ok ok... I forgot where I am
But yeah at least he would have also gotten better help finding out what he did wrong
View Quote
This, at least a few of us would have pointed out the mistakes, and how to avoid them before giving him shit........ A simple, OK, I did not understand the proper procedure, and fucked it up can go a long way with most of us.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This, at least a few of us would have pointed out the mistakes, and how to avoid them before giving him shit........ A simple, OK, I did not understand the proper procedure, and fucked it up can go a long way with most of us.
View Quote
That is so true.  At first I thought he maybe just used the wrong word for what I meant , but yeah I doubt it completely and figure he fucked it up
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#48]
In for pics.

Apply heat 1st.

Apply different force next.

Ive broken teeth off a barrel nut plenty of times, but I went to a pipe wrench and had no damage besides the barrel nut. People like using thread locker instead of grease.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Did you whisper sweet nothings into her chamber?
Talking dirty a little and smacking her on the ass does wonder in getting her to drop her panties.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#50]
I see the OP has run off.

Just because you used the wrong tools and techniques to work on the upper, doesn't make it Palmetto's fault.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top