BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Interesting optic, I'm looking forward to reading some reviews!

What's the estimated battery life?

I'm not sure what the battery life is. I received the prototypes with batteries in them and I know they had use on them. I used the scopes for over 20 hours of range time and I put them away once without turning them off. I had to put new batteries in just before I sent them back. The battery life won't be Aimpoint like but should last for days in the high position.

This is a review I did a few months ago.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=520670

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I thought the turrets were resettable, but didn't see that feature noted in the literature at the start of this thread.

The turrets are resetable. With the exposed turrets you loosen a screw and place the turret where you want it. With the capped turrets you simply pull up and set them.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what the battery life is. I received the prototypes with batteries in them and I know they had use on them. I used the scopes for over 20 hours of range time and I put them away once without turning them off. I had to put new batteries in just before I sent them back. The battery life won't be Aimpoint like but should last for days in the high position.

This is a review I did a few months ago.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=520670

Nice write up, I read the whole thing.  

The reticle is intriguing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the kind words. I really like it. It is different but it works very well. SWFA did their home work and got lots of feed back from end users.

Nice write up, I read the whole thing.  

The reticle is intriguing.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure that is always true. Example: Leatherwood CMR 1-4x Exit Pupil (mm): 11.1 - 6.

The math is correct.  I would speculate Leatherwood's specs are some sort of misprint.  Leatherwood is the oddball when compared to every other 1-4x24mm scope on the market.

Good explanation

I did notice that every other 1-4x I looked at seemed to follow the equation. The numbers I got are from SWFA so maybe they made an error, idk.

Thanks for that link!
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]

The whole mil thing throws me.  MOA just seems to a lot more intuitive to figure figure out and adjust to.  I'm sure some education would change that but I'm not sure I want to really spend that much time really learn it.

What's the thought on durablilty?  Is this thing "ACOG" durable?

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The whole mil thing throws me.  MOA just seems to a lot more intuitive to figure figure out and adjust to.  I'm sure some education would change that but I'm not sure I want to really spend that much time really learn it.

What's the thought on durablilty?  Is this thing "ACOG" durable?

These are very well made scopes. I did not do any torture testing but they are made to compete with other professional grade optics. When I get mine I will be replacing the ACOG currently mounted on my Colt AR15A4 with out any worries.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#8]
What are thoughts on comparatives between this and the new Vortex 1x-4x?  Is the SS in just a different class of optic?  I was leaning towards the Vortex, but not I'm not so sure.  The mil thing is perplexing me, but I can get over it I guess.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#10]
You need to put, cheapskates dont even look. I nearly shit myself when I saw the price!
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What are thoughts on comparatives between this and the new Vortex 1x-4x?  Is the SS in just a different class of optic?  I was leaning towards the Vortex, but not I'm not so sure.  The mil thing is perplexing me, but I can get over it I guess.  

The Vortex HD is of comparable quality to the SWFA SS 1-4 HD. However the features and price beat the Vortex HD IMO. The Vortex 1-4 Viper PST is not in the same class as the SS 1-4 HD. The mil/mil thing is not difficult, much better than mil/moa.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.

Edit:  +1 for what batteries it takes.  Can not find it on the website.

They use a CR2032 and there is storage for a spare on the adjustment/battery turret.

http://www.opticstalk.com/uploads/298/Module.JPG

SWFA, any info on the battery life?
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 7:50:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would really like to see a review from you Hokie. Your other 1-4x and Acog reviews are really informative and I would like to see how you compare this optic to them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the encouragement, I'd love to! My free flowing disposable income though has come to an end unfortunately! Parenthood and fiscal responsibility are kicking my ass!   I'd be all over picking up a SS 1-4 and submitting a humble and hyper-detailed review but I'd have to sell something to fund it, and my arsenal is too lean as it is.  Maybe someday late summer....<sigh>

I'd like to see how this stacks up specifically against some well established low power options in the mid-range price brackett such as the Leupold M/RT SPR, NF 1-4NXS (all three ie FC-2, NP-1, and Mil-Dot,) Meopta Tac K-Dot, etc .  This SS 1-4HD seems to have grabbed some tactical mojo from each one.   For SWFA to drop a low power variable in the $700-$1200 range they must think it's worth the investment.  Given SWFA's notariety, I for one am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt without even settling into a cheek weld.  

With nothing more than some computer screen time I really like the reticle's design and capped turrets.  With that large ring it looks like SWFA is taking a stab at bridging the gap for the majority of shooters who want a daytime visible CQB reticle with options to better address those uncommon shots passed a 50/200 yard zero.  I say uncommon only because anyone who makes a habit of shooting that far would likely have a different cartidge and/or more powerful scope.  Still, that's where the demand is.  I can understand that and consequently raise an inquisitive eyebrow to the potential of what SWFA is offering the black rifle enthusiast.

At this point in my BRD...for a low power variable to sway me away from the TA33 - it'd have to cater to my <200 yard venues but give me the option to get out there if I so chose to.  This rascal looks good, so far.  Same goes for the Viper PST and a couple other newer options - but the lower cost always has me scratching my head.  Meaning...the NF hurts your wallet - but you get what you pay for.  It could likely substitute as a roofing hammer.  I'll never own one of the $1500+ optics for an AR15.  I can't process the financial comittment against the advantages gained for a scope guiding the 5.56 cartridge.  

But yeah, so far, so good.  I've subscribed to SWFA's thread to watch 2011's evaluation unfold.  Sight unseen, this optic looks like it could be a real winner for the lion's share of typical AR owners.  Compliments to SWFA as well for the mil scale.  

I hope to try one sometime.  Till then I'm eagerly watching this particular scope from the mosh pit of the optics industry!
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok, well I have decided to give this optic a try. I was going to purchase a Trijicon TR24 Friday which is payday, but with all the features this scope has it seems like a better choice. I absolutely hate impulse buying since it has done me wrong in the past, but this optic seems pretty impressive. I am probably going to purchase Friday assuming they are still in stock. I read on the website that the eye relief is 3.75 inches, which LaRue mount would be a better choice the regular or extended?
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm interested
Link Posted: 2/13/2011 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for that link to the Optics Talk thread.

It really made the differences between these optics very clear.  And the SS HD looks like it is a very well thought out design.

Link Posted: 2/13/2011 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You need to put, cheapskates dont even look. I nearly shit myself when I saw the price!

I'm sorry but, $800?....ouch. I like my $350 10x SS though
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree,  I expected the price to be roughly half of what it is.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, the price hasn't recently changed.  I've heard the $800 figure since before Christmas.

The GRSC Japanese 1-6x is going to be about $1K.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 6:34:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree,  I expected the price to be roughly half of what it is.

I tend to classify optics into three categories. Range toys which work pretty good but are not very rugged and have passable glass. Field grade which work pretty good, are more rugged with better glass and dependable enough to trust on a hunting trip. Professional grade which are built to take abuse, have excellent glass and have precise repeatable adjustments; something to take in harms way.

I think that most of you expressing sticker shock were expecting a range toy quality optic and the SWFA  SS 1-4X24 HD is a far cry from a range toy.
Just as the original SS 10X is the best buy in a in a fixed power, mildot field grade, (many have been used professionally), the new SS 1-4X24 HD is the best buy in a professional grade 1-4 optic.

Photo is a 700 yard target with a group measuring 7.5". Rifle is a LMT MWS, ammo M118LR and the optic is the SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#22]
just my $.02, but 800$ should get me a "MADE IN _____" label.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#23]
357sig, @ 4x how easy was it to see that from 700? Seems like a long way for 4x, but then my eyes are not young anymore either.
Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
357sig, @ 4x how easy was it to see that from 700? Seems like a long way for 4x, but then my eyes are not young anymore either.

I could quarter the steel silhouette easily and I could see the bullet strikes as a group but not individually. I also shot at 800 yards at a similar silhouette and a 14" disc and and could see the disc shake on impact but could not see the strikes. The glass is excellent. This is covered in the review I did in December.  http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2242104&page=1    BTW my eyes are 59 years old.

Link Posted: 2/14/2011 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine is shipping today. They are finally on the way.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What companies are US made anymore at these price points? I can't think of a one. Anyone?
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Still no idea about battery life?
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Having the MIL-DOT set up does seem to make more sense than a BDC, as it does allow to work with different loads.  

This set-up seems to be a pretty good design, especially the one with the donut.

Link Posted: 2/17/2011 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What companies are US made anymore at these price points? I can't think of a one. Anyone?

For a hundred bucks more....she's all yours.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-Mark-4-MRT-30mm-Riflescope-P45043.aspx
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Still no idea about battery life?

Still being determined.

Thanks, I'll be ordering one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Illumination, if it's like my illuminated  Leupold VXIII 1.5-5 scope, is NOT daytime visible and it's a 1.5x at it's lowest setting instead of 1x.

Had this scope been available, I would have purchased this instead of the VXIII that I bought.  

Link Posted: 2/17/2011 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Last I knew Lupy was using Japanese parts/glass in all but there most upper end stuff. Is that not true anymore? I'm thinking at the SS pricepoint, it's best in class for now..
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Now that, is Customer service.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Illumination, if it's like my illuminated  Leupold VXIII 1.5-5 scope, is NOT daytime visible and it's a 1.5x at it's lowest setting instead of 1x.

Had this scope been available, I would have purchased this instead of the VXIII that I bought.  

I'll give you whatever you paid for the VXIII towards the SS

Link Posted: 2/17/2011 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#38]
When it comes to mid-priced scopes I think SWFA offers the best combination of features/price/customer service of any campany out there.  I love my 3-9x42.  Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Just placed my order. hopefully it gets here during the week so I can mount it and shoot with it next weekend. This will be my best optic so far, with my Super Sniper 10x in second place.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 5:22:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I'll be doing a detailed review on this scope within the next few weeks.  Having one in hand - it's an incredible piece of craftsmanship and I think it's going to be quite popular around here.  I have the capped circle model.  More to come on this optic!
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 6:19:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'll be doing a detailed review on this scope within the next few weeks.  Having one in hand - it's an incredible piece of craftsmanship and I think it's going to be quite popular around here.  I have the capped circle model.  More to come on this optic!

You got one too!!? Can't wait for the review, and your comparison to similar optics.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Well, I just ordered the T reticle capped version and the SWFA/Bobro mount.  Can't wait to get it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#43]
I almost dropped the hammer on a Trijicon TR24  but I think I`ll wait On a review hopefully coming on this scope.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?  You're kidding me...right?  

Link Posted: 2/18/2011 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

Which VXIII did you get?

Will you do this for a Bushnell 1.25-4x 4200 Elite?

Link Posted: 2/19/2011 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#47]
What are the benefits of capped turrets?
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 5:49:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

Which VXIII did you get?

Just dug up my records and it shows that I bought my scope from you guys  

Here's what I have (click on 'em to make 'em bigger):

Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top