User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I almost dropped the hammer on a Trijicon TR24  but I think I`ll wait On a review hopefully coming on this scope.

I don't know how you use your scope. I shoot mostly steel. But I've owned a TR24 and sold it. I've tried both styles of the SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD and own the circle with exposed knobs and there is no comparison. The SS has better glass, turrets and reticle. It is a much more flexable design.
Check out my review if you have not seen it. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2242104&page=1

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it normal for my payment to still be pending after 2 days?
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I read on the website that the eye relief is 3.75 inches, which LaRue mount would be a better choice the regular or extended?

This...

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
just my $.02, but 800$ should get me a "MADE IN _____" label.

What companies are US made anymore at these price points? I can't think of a one. Anyone?

Mmmm Trijicon, Leupold and Burris all have American made 1-4X scopes at $800 or less. I compare this scope closest to a Burris XTR.

I think SWFA selling proposition is that this scope has a superior reticle set up and is pro grade tough.  I would like to see more reviews over time... but this is promising and competition is good.

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read on the website that the eye relief is 3.75 inches, which LaRue mount would be a better choice the regular or extended?

This...

You're best bet is to call, but my best guess is this one:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=40
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 5:20:10 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want a Larue mount and shoot NTCH you'll definitely want the extended version.  It will allow you more movement on the receiver and let you center the turrets between the rings.  The standard mount will also work, but you'll have to shove the scope forward to the limits of your ability.  Either will work.  I would venture to say that the extended version would work better though.  Without physically mounting a SS into a Larue I'm only speculating - but the math works.

I'd call the order in and confirm before you drop the CC. #.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I already ordered the regular LaRue mount, hope it works just fine. I was using the wrong billing address for my credit card . Just placed the order again.
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 6:12:23 AM EDT
[#9]
SWFA: I just saw a thread wherein a user was having issues with his illumination.  I am seriously considering this scope as it has all of the features that I am looking for.  As such, I would like for it to be discussed in this thread.  Oh, and is the "fish bowl" effect something that is common with variable power scopes that go down to 1x?  Thanks!

Link.

Once again, I have HIGH hopes for this scope!
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/25/2011 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for the quick and thorough response. I'm glad that the illumination thing is a non-issue and that the other "issue" can be resolved by the user once getting thes scope dialed in just right.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's mine. Had to mount it a little forward because of the eye relief.

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/ralph_70_bjj_pictures/8e294b6c.jpg

Do you shoot NTCH? Looks like a SPR-E is the ticket.

Link Posted: 2/26/2011 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy75/ralph_70_bjj_pictures/8e294b6c.jpg

Do you shoot NTCH? Looks like a SPR-E is the ticket.

Yeah, I shoot NTCH. When I first mounted the scope I knew immediately the SPR-E would have been a better choice but didn't want to have to wait to ship it back then have another shipped.
Link Posted: 3/2/2011 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Anymore feedback??
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 5:57:10 AM EDT
[#16]

I have mine mounted on a 16" 6.8SPC recce-type rifle. I haven't used the scope much yet, as I just got it in last week.

SWFA is redesigning the illumination knob battery cap and will issue replacements once they are ready; the current design allows the battery to bounce around too much, resulting in brief shutoffs when firing. Frankly, the battery spring looks like a part from one of my son's $0.59 grocery store flashlights. Hopefully, SWFA will upgrade this part significantly. When the illumination is working, though, the highest setting is daylight useful in almost every setting imaginable (other than looking at a snowbank in the noonday sun). Of course, since the reticle is etched it stands out very well against light backgrounds even when the illumination is not visible.

The scope is very nicely built and the FFP circle/milscale reticle is intriguing and seems very useful. At 1x the circle is fairly small in your FOV and when illuminated it draws you eye very quickly, almost like an Aimpoint or Eotech, although without the unlimited eye relief of those true 1x scopes. At 4x the mil scale is very usable for ranging and holds. I got the capped adjustment knobs because I'm using the scope as a "combat-type" optic for COM shots vs trying to shoot bugholes, so there's no need to dial or hold from 0-200 yards and the holds past that are fairly simple to remember. Plus, I just don't see the need for target-type turrets on a 4x scope, especially ones that don't lock. That is just my opinion, of course. Of note, the knobs are 1/10 mil, 10 mils per turn, no zero stop.

Glass is very good, with excellent coatings. For me, though, it's a bit tricky to bring the entire reticle into focus at 4x unless my eye is placed exactly centerline with the scope. So in that sense, the scope is a bit sensitive to head position.

Overall, I'd give SWFA a huge round of applause for an excellent effort. It is quite a feat to get an FFP scope with a useful reticle and very good illumination and glass onto the market for less than $800. The lifetime warranty doesn't hurt either.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone know when the cat tail will be available? I'm planning on ordering a scope and mount tommorow, would be nice to only pay shipping one time
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
just my $.02, but 800$ should get me a "MADE IN _____" label.

What companies are US made anymore at these price points? I can't think of a one. Anyone?

Mmmm Trijicon, Leupold and Burris all have American made 1-4X scopes at $800 or less. I compare this scope closest to a Burris XTR.

I think SWFA selling proposition is that this scope has a superior reticle set up and is pro grade tough.  I would like to see more reviews over time... but this is promising and competition is good.

Nope, Leupy and Burris aren't US at this price, not sure about the trij, but I wouldn't put them in this class either. Where's the glass in the Trij made?

Link Posted: 3/3/2011 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Does anyone know when the cat tail will be available?

4-5 weeks minimum from now.  Not on their site, but it is in their system if you want to call up there for pre-order.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:00:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#21]
So what does this scope offer over the Burris Tac30?  I was planning on ordering a Burris this week but now that I've found this thread I'm curious to know if I'd be better off to save my cash for a little longer.

Thanks
Wes
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

So what does this scope offer over the Burris Tac30? I was planning on ordering a Burris this week but now that I've found this thread I'm curious to know if I'd be better off to save my cash for a little longer.

Thanks

Wes

IT offers quit a bit. Check out this thread http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=527840&page=6
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Switchview is up on the site for pre order.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Switchview-Throwlever-P49277.aspx

We should be able to ship them early April.

Any updates?
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any updates?
Should be this week or the following week.  They shipped out from MGM near the end of last week to SWFA.  Just a bit too late for the Larue match.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2011 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Great!
Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 4/18/2011 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Any updates?
Should be this week or the following week.  They shipped out from MGM near the end of last week to SWFA.  Just a bit too late for the Larue match.  

I just got an email from SWFA that mine was just shipped.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top