Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2018 9:42:50 AM EDT
I have several Nodak Spud lowers and they all fit perfectly with my uppers.
The same cannot be said about the other lowers that I have. They ALL have sloppy fit.
Really don't care for a tensioning screw either. Whats the deal?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Best fitting lowers I’ve had are Twisted River Tactical’s (a local outfit to me).

3 for 3 have had ZERO play with the upper receiver without having to resort to beating the pins out for disassembly. I like the fit of my 3 TRT lowers better than my NoDak spud lowers, but you are right... the Nodaks fit VERY well too.

The nodaks lines and centering matches up better, but the fit of the TRTs is better.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#2]
They keep a higher quality standard at the expense of wait times and quantity in stock.  It is also reflected in their price.

The uppers they blem for anodizing issues are on par or higher than tier 1 offerings from other places.

All that being said, their offerings are nothing but amazing and nothing short of a miracle for our community.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I've only used their AK receivers, but based on my experience I'd say it's attention to detail, and actually caring about their product.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a 57 upper.  You'll be happy with ALL your lowers.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
This forum needs a “like” button
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This forum needs a “like” button
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm pretty sure they have really tight tolerances. I think it says so on their website

... 100% Guaranteed one of them is going to reply
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, their A1 and other retro lowers fit perfectly. I also have an A2 lower made by them that fits perfectly as well. I called them once and asked if they made an 80% A2 lower and got the answer there was no interest and the market was flooded. Well it is flooded with mostly crappy A2 80% lowers. I really wish they turn out some 80% A2 lowers.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had to use a rat tail file on the lugs of a few, maybe more uppers to get them to fit on NDS lowers. The last one I bought was fine. It seemed to be an issue a few years ago.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:38:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't know if it was an early version (2008), but my Nodak lowers were so tight that I needed a tool to push out the take down and pivot pins. That was with Colt and other "USGI" uppers, that were not used surplus.. Turned me off, so I sold them and the closest thing I do to retro is early A2 with Colt lowers.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Nodak A2 lower on my precision rifle and the fit is really tight and I have to knock the pins out with a punch, but there is zero play between the receivers. Makes for an extremely accurate rifle!
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Mike,  that was a great video!  It shows the care and commitment you guys put into your parts.  And...we are truly grateful for it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Our earlier stuff was too tight sometimes, hence the language on the website.

The last few years we tried to ease the fitment slightly. But you still get a surplus upper here or there that is tight in the back end with our lower.
View Quote
Have you ever considered making anodized 80's available?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Doesn't Brownells use NDS receivers?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't know if it was an early version (2008), but my Nodak lowers were so tight that I needed a tool to push out the take down and pivot pins. That was with Colt and other "USGI" uppers, that were not used surplus.. Turned me off, so I sold them and the closest thing I do to retro is early A2 with Colt lowers.
View Quote
I have some retro Colt uppers on Nodak lowers like that, I have to use a punch to take them apart. I've thought about taking some emry cloth to the takedown pin area of the lower
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Doesn't Brownells use NDS receivers?
View Quote
This has been covered in every topic in this forum that has Nodak in the name.
Brownells uses forgings supplied by Nodak.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:14:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No. The whole point of the 80% products is so I don't have to prep the darn things for anodizing.

Plus many people like to do things to them to satisfy some specific detail.
View Quote
I can understand that. I bet there's a market for them though. If I had any ability/skill/knowledge with anodizing and could get the correct color, I'd jump into the pool.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a Nodak XM16E1 lower that wouldn’t even allow an early Colt “square forge” upper to close- the upper/lower would “spring” apart at the rear! I had to force the upper and lower together at the rear, and while squeezing them together, pound the take down pin into place. That same upper fits perfectly (minimal movement) on the four other lowers I’ve tried it on.

Because of this, I ordered another Nodak XM16E1 lower and mailed them my Colt upper, with instructions for them to “match” a lower to my upper. Nodak was able to send me a lower that fit my upper properly, without modifying the upper, just as I requested. Fit-matching a lower to your upper is a service that they offer for no extra charge, which I strongly suggest using.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I can understand that. I bet there's a market for them though. If I had any ability/skill/knowledge with anodizing and could get the correct color, I'd jump into the pool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. The whole point of the 80% products is so I don't have to prep the darn things for anodizing.

Plus many people like to do things to them to satisfy some specific detail.
Me too
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I name every part.

This one was Margret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMkI6FdAQ14
View Quote
the last part of this commercial is how I see NoDak's line.
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Me too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: I can understand that. I bet there's a market for them though. If I had any ability/skill/knowledge with anodizing and could get the correct color, I'd jump into the pool.
Me too
Anodizing yourself sounds fatal?
Link Posted: 7/23/2018 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted: I can understand that. I bet there's a market for them though. If I had any ability/skill/knowledge with anodizing and could get the correct color, I'd jump into the pool.
Me too
New superhero series. XM-Men.

Link Posted: 7/24/2018 1:16:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had a Nodak XM16E1 lower that wouldn’t even allow an early Colt “square forge” upper to close- the upper/lower would “spring” apart at the rear! I had to force the upper and lower together at the rear, and while squeezing them together, pound the take down pin into place. That same upper fits perfectly (minimal movement) on the four other lowers I’ve tried it on.

Because of this, I ordered another Nodak XM16E1 lower and mailed them my Colt upper, with instructions for them to “match” a lower to my upper. Nodak was able to send me a lower that fit my upper properly, without modifying the upper, just as I requested. Fit-matching a lower to your upper is a service that they offer for no extra charge, which I strongly suggest using.
View Quote
Or they could just make a lower that is in spec so I don't have to marry an upper to it for life.

What if I get bored and want to change things around? Decide one day that I don't want to do retro anymore and want to build a Mk12/M-16A2 rebuild/AF mixmaster / Mk18/ whatever out of the lower?
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#29]
The “good fit-bad fit-no fit” with Nodak’s lowers seems to come down to one factor: a slight variation in the lower’s “upper deck height”. On most lower receivers, the upper deck height is kept “lower” (relative to the pivot & take down pins) than it is on a Nodak lower. That way, the upper deck surface of the lower doesn’t impinge upon the upper receiver, creating an excessively tight, binding fit. Nodak uses the higher deck height to create a “tighter” fit, at the expense of “universal fitment” to most uppers.

I’m left to wonder: Will the unmodified Nodak lowers that fit properly with their “designated” unmodified Colt upper also work with ALL USGI/Colt uppers, as will most other lower receivers on the market? Or would those “looser” Nodak lowers have fitment issues with SOME uppers too, just not as badly as the “super-tight” Nodak lowers?

I’m glad to hear that they have changed their tolerance specifications to allow for fitment with a larger percentage of the USGI/Colt upper receivers on the market today. Maybe they are “in-spec” now, or at least close enough for rock and roll? That should result in less grief for us, and for them too!
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I’m not sure what NDS does.... I guess I will find out in December of 2018 or early 2019 when my name comes up on “the list”
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 9:32:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted: Or they could just make a lower that is in spec so I don't have to marry an upper to it for life.

What if I get bored and want to change things around? Decide one day that I don't want to do retro anymore and want to build a Mk12/M-16A2 rebuild/AF mixmaster / Mk18/ whatever out of the lower?
View Quote
Sandaper or Dremel.  Won't take much.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#33]
You sent me off to the safe to check tolerances on my M16At clone.  It is an 'A and two digits', which should make it very early.  My upper is Colt NOS, and the fit is absolutely dead flat perfect.  No wobble, no drama with the pins. None. Nada. Zilch.  Much tighter than my other Colts.
The gummint was nice enough to give me an M16A1 in 1970, but I never had to run thru' the jungle with it.  It still made me shake when I first put this one together.  Can't imagine how the VN vets must feel.
A tip o' the hat to NoDak; great stuff IMHO, and from personal experience.
Moon
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Having trouble shot for a new manufacturer of AR15 rifles on a line start up I can tell you that mil spec upper to lower fit will always be lose.

The owner of the company complained to me that they were not tight. I said you wanted the mil spec this what you get. He then told me how other companies have mil spec that were tight. I told him to measure those tight ones and he would find they are outside the mil std on several dimensions. Sure enough, every company that he measured with tight fit was out of spec and would not pass government inspection. He told me people we complaining and reminded that I asked him in the early design stage if he wanted mil std or tighter and he said mil std.

He then got mad and said all the other companies are not mil std then even when they say they are and i told them that I knew that.

Now this was all with minimums on the tolerances and they are still lose. We ended up changing the specs on several dimensions to be tight with the understanding that there might be some upper or lower out in the world that would be too tight to mount to his upper/lower.

So when you find a tight upper to lower fit, its non mil std because the built in manufacturing tolerances will not let it be tight.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#35]
What is Nodak Spud doing that nobody else is capable of?
View Quote
Being awesome?

Gotta admit, Brownell's is catching up.....but NDS is the OG of retro cool when it comes to supporting the movement business-wise.

Brace and the gang are the OG retro cool of the smithing part!!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Having trouble shot for a new manufacturer of AR15 rifles on a line start up I can tell you that mil spec upper to lower fit will always be lose.

The owner of the company complained to me that they were not tight. I said you wanted the mil spec this what you get. He then told me how other companies have mil spec that were tight. I told him to measure those tight ones and he would find they are outside the mil std on several dimensions. Sure enough, every company that he measured with tight fit was out of spec and would not pass government inspection. He told me people we complaining and reminded that I asked him in the early design stage if he wanted mil std or tighter and he said mil std.

He then got mad and said all the other companies are not mil std then even when they say they are and i told them that I knew that.

Now this was all with minimums on the tolerances and they are still lose. We ended up changing the specs on several dimensions to be tight with the understanding that there might be some upper or lower out in the world that would be too tight to mount to his upper/lower.

So when you find a tight upper to lower fit, its non mil std because the built in manufacturing tolerances will not let it be tight.
View Quote
Which is why I will be using a matched NDS upper and lower set (when available) for my XM177 build. I have a surplus LM forge replacement upper that I tried on my NDS A1 lower and it was too loose for my taste (and black in color) but servicable.

I really like the fact that NDS machines on the high side of the tolerance rather the low side.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?!

Say it ain't so Mike!
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We have partnered with Brownells to bring a higher volume to the retro market.

I am in constant communication with Brownells and offer advice or technical help when requested.

They are working very hard to improve the products and are a company that will listen to it's customers. The BRN-10 is a prime example.

My goal is to eventually get out of the retro products so I can concentrate on my own firearms designs.
View Quote
Good thing I'm on the list for one more matched A1 upper and lower combo.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

My goal is to eventually get out of the retro products so I can concentrate on my own firearms designs.
View Quote
That's a pretty heavy blow for us to take around here! At the very least, sir, you need to give us a glimpse into what you are wanting to make.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sorry, not yet.

We will not debut it until we are in production.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Nodak Spud clearly states that they build their AR parts on the maximum side of specs to insure a tight fit.

They warn that two or three out of 100 will be too big to mate up sometimes. They offer to custom match uppers to lowers should you have an issue.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Mike,
I don't have any of your AR products, just a couple of AK receivers (which were excellent, btw), but your company is a national treasure.

Sad to say, I haven't been in the market for many years, but have you used your customer database to conduct any surveys from among your past customers? I'm sure you could reach out to any local university with a business or marketing program and find a couple of amateur statisticians (and their profs as a backstop) who could help you with the survey design, because I think it would be really cool to see how the answers change based upon what types of products people have actually purchased in the past.

Of course, customer preference for whatever you have dreamed up in the future may not change at all, but my hypothesis is that the "AK aficionado" and "Retro AR aficionado" customer segments may respond differently to different things. And of course, the trick with every customer survey is, you could offer everyone a gold-plated happy ending, but the actual purchase behavior could be different than their wishing behavior.

Hopefully, whatever comes back will confirm your own instincts about what the market wants, but it might not. I'm sure you're a savvy guy to remain in this business for this long, but I also selfishly want you to be really sure, so you can stay in business to provision us with cool products for a long time!

(And I'm not sure if they're "your style", but I always wondered why no one had partnered up with KelTec or someone similar to do license production of their products...that way all the R&D, and all the risk was already borne by them, and then you can focus on delivering excellent quality and customer service...which clearly you know how to do better than most).
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Please understand that I painted myself into a corner with this product line. The way I do it is too labor intensive.

In order to fulfill my dreams and aspirations I need more time to work on original designs. And I cannot do that when I'm polishing AR receivers.
View Quote
Will you still do 80%'s, which you don't have to polish? That way, the retro market can still get the lowers but you don't have all that work.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Please understand that I painted myself into a corner with this product line. The way I do it is too labor intensive.

In order to fulfill my dreams and aspirations I need more time to work on original designs. And I cannot do that when I'm polishing AR receivers.
View Quote
Mike,

I have to say that I own many of your lowers and some uppers that I have bought over the past several years. I have certainly done my share of recommending you guys to others. You and Harlan have done a great service for many of us on this and other related forums and FB groups. I understand your aspiration to get into what you have been yearning for and I support that. I know that the retro market will benefit from it. Until then, I, and others, will continue to purchase your products and urge others to do the same. I am certainly looking forward to getting my receiver set and CH that was ordered last November so that I can complete my last M16A1 clone build.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Many thanks for a great product.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#50]
I disagree.  That is EXACTLY how to do it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top