User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend moving the pistol grip “up” toward the receiver’s floor, just enough to be able to get rid of the receiver’s “speed bump” transition at the bottom/rear of the trigger guard. I think doing so would make it look a lot better.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#3]
We need to have Mike here cutting chips and mocking them up so we can all look @ it and go,"No, that's not right.  Move that thing down 1/10 of an inch." just so he'll have to go cut the whole damn thing again out of 6061.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I love this project
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok I don’t get it. What’s the point of having a retro-looking AR-180 lower for a non-retro looking, railed AR-180 type upper?

I get Brownells is saying they didn’t design their 180 upper to be retro (obviously), but is there a market for piston uppers that require a proprietary handguard?
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok I don’t get it. What’s the point of having a retro-looking AR-180 lower for a non-retro looking, railed AR-180 type upper?

I get Brownells is saying they didn’t design their 180 upper to be retro (obviously), but is there a market for piston uppers that require a proprietary handguard?
View Quote
Only sales numbers will tell, but it has generated a ton of interest. I want to get my grubby little mitts on one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good stuff!

We received a lot of great feedback, both at SHOT and on outlets such as AR15.com.  We think you'll see a lot of great items coming to market to support the BRN-180, both from Brownells and other great companies.
View Quote
@brownells

you'd have my money right now if it was an 11.5 to 12.5 upper and came with a folding stock adapter
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
LOL I thought the same thing when I saw their upper.  Other then the nob sticking off the bolt carrier it looks nothing like an AR-180 upper.

Dont get me wrong I think the market is longer over due for serious side folding AR conversions.  But their upper looks nothing like an AR-180 upper.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty damn cool!! Me personally, I think a hybrid lower with the the MCX stock would aesthetically be the most pleasing. It would also be a cool homage to the original folding stock too. Damn it, I wanted an upper before, but now after seeing this and picturing it with a MCX stock I want one even more now!!

Damn it sucks to be poor.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I know this is the retro forum, but how retro should the 180 be?  In some ways, the point of resurrecting the 180 is to bring it out of the stone(r) age.  The faux spot welds aren't necessary.   The important parts to me are: the reverse angle on the receiver underside, side folder and a piston.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 2/4/2019 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...how retro should the 180 be?  ... the point of resurrecting the 180 is to bring it out of the stone(r) age.
View Quote
You missed the point.

It's not Retro. At all.
It's a ghetto MCX.

Putting the Brownell's offering on an AR lower with no BHO and no-hole for a standard RE or yes-hole for a standard RE doesn't make it better... it just makes it worse, and actually a bit sad.

I would be interested to see the Brownell's upper with a better thought out handguard arrangement and... if there must be a unique lower... I would do something similar to an LMT MARS with no-hole for a standard RE, and a 1913 rail for the SIG stocks.

Show SIG you mean business!  Compete on price and quality with the MCX.
Stack dat cheddah.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You missed the point.
View Quote
Don’t care that it isn’t retro, nor MCX.

No offense, but this is a novelty, and will remain so, unless somebody puts a huge effort into testing and development to even get close to the MCX.  So, the better bet is to make it ‘not retro’ to appeal to a broader audience on price and usability, and let them be the guinea pigs.  Baby steps.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

...this is a novelty, and will remain so, unless somebody puts a huge effort into testing and development to even get close to the MCX.

So, the better bet is to make it ‘not retro’ to appeal to a broader audience on price and usability...
View Quote
I'm not saying they should submit it to something like SOCOM LVAW and try to get adoption among professional users, but rather they should submit it to all the yee-haw backyard gun reviewers on youtube for some goofy mud tests. Then giddy-up for some sales.

You just repeated exactly my point- best bet is to cut the "Retro" angle and go after the gottabedifferent guys who for whatever reason don't want an AR-15-type.

As I've already said... having a hybrid-abortion-lower to go along with this thing that kinda-looks-like an AR-180 lower... to someone who is blind or has never seen one before... doesn't make this fiasco any better- it makes it more sad. Kind of pathetic, even.

As I've already said... they need to create a reason for this thing with "price and usability" when compared with the rifles it will most definitely be compared with- other gottabedifferent guns in the market today.

Not AR-180s.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Bravo zulu.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:25:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I like it!
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 10:40:06 AM EDT
[#23]
ok I need to 3d print one 6% larger so I can sand cast it then machine.  I haven't wanted to cast aluminum before now but I may have to.  (and yes I have the 3d printer already)
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 2/6/2019 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#25]
@BPR asked if this was compatible with existing forgings. What I have designed so far has not been. They would have to be made from billet.

I took his idea and came up with this.

Trimming and cutting a regular A2 lower would get you something like this. It's about the best that could be done, and frankly doesn't look as good, but would certainly be an easier project.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Stick with the billet and damn the haters.

The billet looks incredible!
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@BPR asked if this was compatible with existing forgings. What I have designed so far has not been. They would have to be made from billet.

I took his idea and came up with this.

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Fusion-I-Angle-Right.jpg

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Fusion-I-Angle-Left.jpg

Trimming and cutting a regular A2 lower would get you something like this. It's about the best that could be done, and frankly doesn't look as good, but would certainly be an easier project.
View Quote
Nice.  Think your billet is better looking, but this gives the super lightweight folks somewhere to go.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Structurally I wouldn't trust that. The material removed at the bottom of the magwell would make the guide rib/trigger guard at the back too weak. IMHO.
View Quote
What if one of the closed trigger guard forgings was used?
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#30]
My question regarding utilization of existing forgings was only based upon my thought for an economical lower that still had some AR180 styling.  I did not know billet was a cost effective alternative.

I do like the billet design better, but still think some of the rear edges between top of pistol grip and receiver extension need to be radiused.  Now, for Brownells to start shipping those uppers!
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 8:30:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Personally I would like it if it accepted FAL grips or Ar-180 grips since Rick has been printing them out :)
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Structurally I wouldn't trust that. The material removed at the bottom of the magwell would make the guide rib/trigger guard at the back too weak. IMHO.
Look at the NDS-18, its solid.

Link Posted: 2/12/2019 4:18:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hk seems to think so.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 4:23:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm not saying they should submit it to something like SOCOM LVAW and try to get adoption among professional users, but rather they should submit it to all the yee-haw backyard gun reviewers on youtube for some goofy mud tests. Then giddy-up for some sales.

You just repeated exactly my point- best bet is to cut the "Retro" angle and go after the gottabedifferent guys who for whatever reason don't want an AR-15-type.

As I've already said... having a hybrid-abortion-lower to go along with this thing that kinda-looks-like an AR-180 lower... to someone who is blind or has never seen one before... doesn't make this fiasco any better- it makes it more sad. Kind of pathetic, even.

As I've already said... they need to create a reason for this thing with "price and usability" when compared with the rifles it will most definitely be compared with- other gottabedifferent guns in the market today.

Not AR-180s.
View Quote
Maybe you should do it better instead of complaining on the internet about a product another company is trying to bring out to appeal to already notoriously whiney crowd.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#36]
To everyone complaining, enough of it. Just think of the BR180 as an evolutionary design of the AR18/AR180.

When Armalite brought out the AR180B, I was hesitant on two things. The price and the lower construction. I should had brought one when I had the chance to. What was my primary concern was the lower. It was cool to make it out of polymer. But I just believe it was going to have problems like the Carbon 15.

I'm just waiting to get some cash saved to get the BR180.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been working out of town for a week straight so I haven't had time till today to play with stuff.

I really like the Fusion III design that is AR-15 in the back and AR-180B in the front. Maybe I should call it the "Mullet".

Thoughts?

I also played with the adapter and made something that looks just like the one already being made by KNS. Only real difference I see is mine has an extra screw hole pattern for an ACE style stock.

I think I will print one up and see how it works. Come on @brownells I need an upper so I can really finish this project. Well that and someone to machine them out of aluminium. Or to buy a Tormach real fast. I guess I should play the lottery.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#38]
I'd rock that lower and I don't care a bit about the 180 upper.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I like your “Mullet” lower’s design and appearance better.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#40]
This is delightful, and I think they will appeal to folks who want a different AR lower, not just 180ish upper owners.

1 - Can the adapter be made thinner?  If you're going to custom machine an adapter to fit, why not cut the Picatinny rails in it, rather than drill holes so you can mount a Picatinny rail on it?  Mayber you're modeling an existing adapter, and I missed that.

2 - Since the stresses on the buffer tube boss are compression in this implementation, rather than torsion, the M4 reinforcement on the outside of the receiver can be reduced to A1 levels or less, and the adapter accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#41]
[b]Quoted:

1 - Can the adapter be made thinner?  If you're going to custom machine an adapter to fit, why not cut the Picatinny rails in it, rather than drill holes so you can mount a Picatinny rail on it?  Mayber you're modeling an existing adapter, and I missed that.
View Quote
I designed the adapter to be used as a flat plate with screw holes for an ACE style attachment or to have the picatiny rail to be bolted on.

The fun part is playing with the design and not have to cut parts.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I designed the adapter to be used as a flat plate with screw holes for an ACE style attachment or to have the picatiny rail to be bolted on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]Quoted:

There'd be a decent amount of interest in picatinny rails that will bolt to an ACE style adapter as well.  Lot of people that have the ACE would like the option to use MPX style stocks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've been working out of town for a week straight so I haven't had time till today to play with stuff.

I really like the Fusion III design that is AR-15 in the back and AR-180B in the front. Maybe I should call it the "Mullet".

Thoughts?

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Fusion-III-Left.jpg

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Fusion-III-Left-Adapter.jpg

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Fusion-III-Left-Complete.jpg

I also played with the adapter and made something that looks just like the one already being made by KNS. Only real difference I see is mine has an extra screw hole pattern for an ACE style stock.

I think I will print one up and see how it works. Come on @brownells I need an upper so I can really finish this project. Well that and someone to machine them out of aluminium. Or to buy a Tormach real fast. I guess I should play the lottery.
View Quote
I think this is your best iteration yet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thoughts?

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Fusion-III-Left.jpg

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Fusion-III-Left-Adapter.jpg

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Fusion-III-Left-Complete.jpg

View Quote
Now- THAT is what I'd buy to put a BRN-180 upper on.  Use the ACE AK skeleton stock and folding hinge.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Agreed. It would look cool on a lot of builds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you're going to build it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Maybe as an unanodized 80% to test?
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No, I have zero time for outside projects.

All available time is for normal NDS production and development of my new design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So you're going to build it?
No, I have zero time for outside projects.

All available time is for normal NDS production and development of my new design.
Details?
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top