AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not until I have product ready to ship. We don't want to do vaporware.
View Quote
Look forward to finding out what it is.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Please no more fake rivets!!! So ugly!
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Please no more fake rivets!!! So ugly!
View Quote
It's really unnecessary.  The basic form of the AR-18 is fine.  We all know and can see that it is not a stamped and riveted lower.  Cool idea either way, though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#5]
When the AR-180B was in production there were two predominant loud crowds posting about it. Crowd a. It's not the original, we want stamped sheet metal and correct in every way. Crowd b. It's not modernized we want nitride/rails/quick change barrels.

I see the BRN180 upper as the closest thing to the AR180C that was conceptualized at the time. Someone offering a left side charging handle add on mod kit would check the last block.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:09:02 AM EDT
[#6]
OST.

Pretty interested in the Brownells AR180 thing.  A lower like what’s posted in this thread would be sweet
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 3:40:04 AM EDT
[#7]
In my fantasy world Bigrix, Tromix and Manticore secretly meet and over dinner and beers hatch a nefarious plan to have some fun and enable "bad" behavior while we redirect our secret stashes of play money instead of wasting them on something sto0pid.  One of them makes a run of 80% or 100% Bigrix type lowers. One of them makes a run of left hand charging handle slide receptacles compatible with FAL folding charging handles and XCR forward assist charging handles. One of them makes a run of aluminum Galil like stock hinges with a canted axis pin fitting the bigrix design lower and accepting ACE skeleton stock upper and lower tubes and butt plate. Much anticipation precedes every step, much satisfaction follows, and great fun is had by all.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In my fantasy world Bigrix, Tromix and Manticore secretly meet and over dinner and beers hatch a nefarious plan to have some fun and enable "bad" behavior while we redirect our secret stashes of play money instead of wasting them on something sto0pid.  One of them makes a run of 80% or 100% Bigrix type lowers. One of them makes a run of left hand charging handle slide receptacles compatible with FAL folding charging handles and XCR forward assist charging handles. One of them makes a run of aluminum Galil like stock hinges with a canted axis pin fitting the bigrix design lower and accepting ACE skeleton stock upper and lower tubes and butt plate. Much anticipation precedes every step, much satisfaction follows, and great fun is had by all.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]
WHATEVER BECOMES OF THIS PLEASE MAKE THE MARKINGS SAFE, SEMI, AUTO. Just for looks.

Don't do the stupid SAFE, FIRE  or SAFE, SEMI.

SAFE  SEMI  AUTO
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Agreed. It would look cool on a lot of builds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd rock that lower and I don't care a bit about the 180 upper.
Agreed. It would look cool on a lot of builds.
I already have the upper :

Link Posted: 3/3/2019 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good work, but Hybrid-Abortion-Lower is not the solution to Hybrid-Abortion-Upper.

Only the correct part will do, I'm afraid.

Brownell's should do this right, or please don't do it at all.
View Quote
Speak for yourself.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I for one would be fine with aluminum uppers and lowers. I would also be fine with it taking AR15 magazines and triggers. I would rather it NOT look like an AR15 with an odd looking upper. It should have a side folder or the ability to accept a folder. I would rather they not shorten the AR18 bolt / action or reduce it’s travel. I would rather have them in the interests of reliability.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Only the correct part will do, I'm afraid.

Brownell's should do this right, or please don't do it at all."

Speak for yourself.
View Quote
Wrong part is cool then?

Speak for yourself.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are you listening Brownells?
View Quote
Yes, and remember Brownells - Those customers would be buying the lower AND upper.   Package deal>??
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#15]
A simpler version to make it easier to machine.

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, and remember Brownells - Those customers would be buying the lower AND upper.   Package deal>??
View Quote
Puh-leeeeeeeeease?!
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:13:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Whoa, that's looking great!
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#18]
OUTSTANDING!!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

OUTSTANDING!!!!
View Quote
I am starting to dislike the progression of the design.

More and more its getting to be just an AR lower.

Strangely, I would be more pleased with a lower that was not compatible with a standard AR upper and would only work with the BRN-180. No means to attach a buffer tube is what I would like. Transition directly to a means to attach a folder and have no means to bastardize it with a buffer tube.

I would think that a production model would be about or greater than $300. I would want a design as far as possible away from just being a tweaked AR lower for that price.

What appears to be evolving here is just another AR lower

"Would a Different Lower Make the BRN-180 Better?" Yes, but this ain't it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Strangely, I would be more pleased with a lower that was not compatible with a standard AR upper and would only work with the BRN-180. No means to attach a buffer tube is what I would like. Transition directly to a means to attach a folder and have no means to bastardize it with a buffer tube.

I would think that a production model would be about or greater than $300. I would want a design as far as possible away from just being a tweaked AR lower for that price.

View Quote
I'm pretty sure he's intending it to be an AR-15 lower, but with an AR-18/180 look. At least according to his website.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's a good way to slice your market down to a nub.  The BRN-180 might be popular,  it it won't be AR15 popular.  And even then, only a small percentage will actually buy an AR180 styled lower.  So having a lower that's still AR15 compatible makes more sense.  Me personally, I just want the lower, could not care less about the upper.

For the BRN-180 upper, I think Brownells should have made it compatible with standard AR180 lowers and either bought or licensed the Nodak lower.  Unlike the lower, I doubt AR15 compatibility or lack thereof on the upper is going to change sales much at all.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's a good way to slice your market down to a nub.  The BRN-180 might be popular,  it it won't be AR15 popular.  And even then, only a small percentage will actually buy an AR180 styled lower.  So having a lower that's still AR15 compatible makes more sense.  Me personally, I just want the lower, could not care less about the upper.

For the BRN-180 upper, I think Brownells should have made it compatible with standard AR180 lowers and either bought or licensed the Nodak lower.  Unlike the lower, I doubt AR15 compatibility or lack thereof on the upper is going to change sales much at all.
View Quote
Yeah same, I'd love to get my hands on this lower, and 80% version specifically.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool idea. Interested to see where this leads.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 2:46:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Because it is... for a clone SIG MCX upper with a dog leg charging handle.

Quoted:
Strangely, I would be more pleased with a lower that was not compatible with a standard AR upper and would only work with the BRN-180.

It almost sounds like you're advocating for... THE CORRECT PART!

If only someone made a AR-180 lower, that took AR-15 pattern mags, and could come in UNDER $300...
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I was looking at the BRN180 upper and I think once the rail nonsense was stripped off I could maybe combine it with a gas blow back airsoft L85A1 and build a semi auto L85. @BigRix any chance of that working?
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was looking at the BRN180 upper and I think once the rail nonsense was stripped off I could maybe combine it with a gas blow back airsoft L85A1 and build a semi auto L85. @BigRix any chance of that working?
View Quote
Well that is certainly something I had not considered. I have it on good authority that the trunion unbolts from the receiver. That will be worth looking into once I get mine in hand.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Did someone say L85
I have always wanted one, even a .22 but no one makes them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#28]
@BigRix, Was my friend able to get in touch with you? He’s attached to a British unit and can get hands on with the L85A2 that they are using for possible rough measurements
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Gotta be honest, I'm loving the fake rivets on the older version.  Mag well profile looks super.

The ass end by the stock is the hard part.  Squared off looks good, but feel in the hand will be critical, and that square digging into your hand webbing wouldn't be good.

The buffer tube is difficult to work with and will be the deal breaker for people... half of us probably want some sort of custom folder and the other half wantbthe traditional tube.

The actual stock that could be used will dictate what works, and we are currently stockless, aside from normal tube-based.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#30]
First couple operations are done and the shape starts to come to life.

Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Good luck with your venture. I sincerely wish you luck.

Its not for me and I would have no interest in buying one. Not that my opinion matters, but I like the way it started out and now..... I am out.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nodak comes out with something more to my liking if the BRN-180 takes off.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I think it really looks good
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I kind of like it... It's different. I like different. Sort of reminds me of the AR-12 prototype.

Are you milling this on your own equip or are you shopping it out?
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#35]
This is just the first prototype in aluminum to see if my model has the correct dimensions and that this style will function.

I am farming this out as I don't have the equipment myself to make them.

My hope is to get things dialed in and make some with a few more "do-dads" on it to make it look more the part.

I want to make these as an 80% and sell them. If that doesn't work out and all I get are a few of them for personal use then it was still a fun project and I learned a lot.

If @brownells ever gets the uppers shipped I can start to work on a version that is more like my original vision, with a flat back and squared off section that looks like an NDS-18S. That will require mods to the upper adapter to make work and would limit the market for the lower. I still want at least one for me. :)

Link Posted: 4/3/2019 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This is just the first prototype in aluminum to see if my model has the correct dimensions and that this style will function.

My hope is to get things dialed in and make some with a few more "do-dads" on it to make it look more the part.

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Fusion-III-Left.jpg

I want to make these as an 80% and sell them. If that doesn't work out and all I get are a few of them for personal use then it was still a fun project and I learned a lot.

If @brownells ever gets the uppers shipped I can start to work on a version that is more like my original vision, with a flat back and squared off section that looks like an NDS-18S. That will require mods to the upper adapter to make work and would limit the market for the lower. I still want at least one for me. :)

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/AR180S.com-Fusion-Lower.jpg
View Quote
Man I'd love to get an 80% one. In case you do start selling them as 80%s will there be one where you can use a standard AR-15 buffer tube be it mil-spec or commercial? I'd love to have this on my A2 carbine.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Big fan of what you're doing, Rick!
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://ar180s.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Fusion-III-Left.jpg

View Quote
I'd be in for an 80% if these work with standard jigs.

That looks awesome!
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Looks really good.

The one thing I would recommend is to bump up the thickness of the front pivot pin boss.
View Quote
I would also recommend increasing the front pivot pin boss thickness.  Don't want to see something this nice have an issue with breakage.
When are the 80% ones for sale.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I updated the model with some thicker walls around the pivot pin.

Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:27:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Love how this project is coming along!

Link Posted: 4/9/2019 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Wonderful work so far, hopefully Brownell’s has gotten the message for a more retro variant of the BRN-180 (which is now shipping apparently). Then, I might have to pick up my first ever 80% lower.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Wow this looks great If you ever make the files public I'd like to try to machine one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm loving how this is coming along! Keep up the great work!
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#48]
While I do think what Rix is doing looks fantastic, I am really hoping that someone is going to develop a lower for the BRN 180 that completely gets away from the AR buffer tube. That is the one thing that prevents a lot of development of the AR platform. Your always going to need that round tube with a big spring in it and it needs to be low enough to clear the charging handle. Why start with those limitations when they are 100% unnecessary and in this case, useless? Why have a lower with a buffer tube that doesn’t need a buffer tube? I would love to see this with a hinge for an ACR stock or Tromix or whatever folder or maybe someone will develop a stock for it. I don’t care about the retro looks or lack of retro looks. I personally like the look of the BRN upper. It just seems to me that a regular folder without the empty aluminum tube in it would just be so much cooler and would take advantage of one of the benefits of the AR 180 operating system. (No buffer tube ??)
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
While I do think what Rix is doing looks fantastic, I am really hoping that someone is going to develop a lower for the BRN 180 that completely gets away from the AR buffer tube. That is the one thing that prevents a lot of development of the AR platform. Your always going to need that round tube with a big spring in it and it needs to be low enough to clear the charging handle. Why start with those limitations when they are 100% unnecessary and in this case, useless? Why have a lower with a buffer tube that doesn’t need a buffer tube? I would love to see this with a hinge for an ACR stock or Tromix or whatever folder or maybe someone will develop a stock for it. I don’t care about the retro looks or lack of retro looks. I personally like the look of the BRN upper. It just seems to me that a regular folder without the empty aluminum tube in it would just be so much cooler and would take advantage of one of the benefits of the AR 180 operating system. (No buffer tube ??)
View Quote
The ACR stock would be a perfect match
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
EXACTLY my thoughts as I offered my opinion previously!!!!!

Seems he was thinking that the lower would serve a dual purpose. BRN-180 and standard AR upper.

I don't want anything with a buffer tube or the looks of a buffer tube or that will accept a buffer tube. I wish for something that is for the BRN-180 ONLY.

My opinion doesn't matter, it is his project but it is refreshing to see another opinion exactly like mine.

NO BUFFER TUBE! Just an interface so the owner could mount one of the currently sold folders. MCX, ACE etc.

The BRN-180 is shipping now. I am going to cringe in horror when owners start posting their pics with a folder that is using a buffer tube.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top