User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Adams Arms Lay-off Staff (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2024 8:08:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Randainc]
Well, it looks like the investors at Adams Arms have finally pulled the plug on their law-enforcement and retail sales division. Only keeping one person to handle sales for the entire business. This is a bad sign and doesn’t look good for Adams Arms. I don’t think they’ll make it through to the new year. :/
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:34:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately any company that has to service debt is going to be hurting bad. I wonder if this is what got them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#2]
If the company were to simply fold up and disappear, is anyone else making compatible replacement parts?  i.e. Back in, I think it was 2015 or so, I bought one of their piston driven .308 ARs.  If any of the piston-related parts fail, do I have an expensive paper weight?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By njl:
If the company were to simply fold up and disappear, is anyone else making compatible replacement parts?  i.e. Back in, I think it was 2015 or so, I bought one of their piston driven .308 ARs.  If any of the piston-related parts fail, do I have an expensive paper weight?
View Quote

Yeah my thoughts too. I have a 16" and an 11.5" upper from them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:39:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Randainc] [#4]
The Biden administration pretty much put a halt to exports of firearms from the US earlier this year. And Adams Arms relied on those export for revenue. It was just another nail in the coffin. One of the investors has been calling for them to shutter the place for a couple years now. He wants to Liquidate and get some of his money back.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 2:05:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#5]
Originally Posted By Randainc:
The Biden administration pretty much put a halt to exports of firearms from the US earlier this year. And Adams Arms relied on those export for revenue. It was just another nail in the coffin. One of the investors has been calling for them to shutter the place for a couple years now. He wants to Liquidate and get some of his money back.
View Quote

The market is saturated with Ar’s. On the low end psa is throwing out 300-400 rifles. On the higher end there are too many good options. I don’t think Adams are particularly bad, but for the money I don’t see them making it unless the market starts to pick up to Covid numbers. I also do not think drop in piston conversions are really much of a thing anymore. The move into pistols didn’t help them either. Inflation and a saturated market keeping prices low means a thinning is coming to the industry.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, it looks like the investors at Adams Arms have finally pulled the plug on their law-enforcement and retail sales division. Only keeping one person to handle sales for the entire business. This is a bad sign and doesn’t look good for Adams Arms. I don’t think they’ll make it through to the new year. :/
View Quote

Where are you getting your information?  Obviously not from a reliable source.  While it is true that we recently made changes in the model that supports law enforcement we are in no way pulling the plug on the division.  We are simply changing the antiquated methods we were utilizing and switching to another model that will allow more communication and outreach to LE.  As for retail sales, no changes have been made in that department.

Enjoy our rifles more, and spread baseless claims less.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I just received an upper as payment for services that has one of your piston kits installed on it.  It is the clamp on railed gas block with two position gas plug.  Can this be fitted and function on a 300 blackout?  Or do I need a kit specifically for that?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Baseless claims? You did not refute a single statement made in the original post. Its never a good sign when your CEO refuses to move from Tennessee down to your HQ in Florida. But hey....I guess you can prove everyone wrong when you show up at Shot 2025 right?

Originally Posted By AA_Phil:

Where are you getting your information?  Obviously not from a reliable source.  While it is true that we recently made changes in the model that supports law enforcement we are in no way pulling the plug on the division.  We are simply changing the antiquated methods we were utilizing and switching to another model that will allow more communication and outreach to LE.  As for retail sales, no changes have been made in that department.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

if no other surfaces, I'd look at converting (back) to a DI rig, adjustable block, likely heavier buffer. we might be able to strap a PWS long-stroke onto it since i bet the port size might be comparable?
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I bought one of those .308’s and it was arguably one of the worst rifles I’ve ever bought.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 7:01:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Randainc] [#12]
Adams Arms is done. They made the announcement yesterday 7/2/2024 that they are ceasing operations. Everyone over there is out of a job.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Adams Arms is done. They made the announcement yesterday 7/2/2024 that they are ceasing operations. Everyone over there is out of a job.
View Quote

I'm curious where you heard that from. I'm not seeing anything in their socials and they're currently running a 4th of July sale on their website.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Its common knowledge now. They fired everyone except 6 people. And those six are tasked with liquidating the assets and ATF compliance to close up. This came directly from employees that were given pink slips.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Its common knowledge now. They fired everyone except 6 people. And those six are tasked with liquidating the assets and ATF compliance to close up. This came directly from employees that were given pink slips.
View Quote

They are literally running a 4th of July sale
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep! Gotta sell off as much of that inventory as possible before they call CDNN.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote
How do you know this?
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 8:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Randainc] [#18]
I think I answered this question in the above post.

"How do you know this?"
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Any updates on this?
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 8:15:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Randainc] [#20]
Nothing new other than they are still shutting down and are pissed that former employees are telling people whats going now that severance money has run out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks like everything on the website is "out of stock" now.

No more spare parts for the AA owners.  I still have one of their COR rifles from about 10 or so years ago.  This was a 16.5" lightweight barrel with their piston system.  Decent rifle, but I just don't shoot it very much.  I also have a factory Adams Arms billet lower, serial number 4 I believe, from 15 years ago before they actually made complete rifles.  Guess it's a collectible now?

I have a good friend that got burned hard by AA when they had the big auction a few years ago and their creditors didn't pay vendors.  He's not going to lose any sleep over the doors being closed, but I hate it for the employees.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

This did not age well.  Based on the out of stock for the entire website, seems fairly obvious at this point.  Unfortunate, I might have picked up a few parts.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I would like to have picked up some spare parts myself. I'm still hoping there are some parts left that will show up somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 10:20:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: optionstrader] [#24]
It seems to me, that by hiding the shutdown, they basically screwed their customer base.  I based my decision to not pick up a bunch of spare parts on AA_Phil's post.  Guess that was a mistake.

Edited to add: Randainc thanks for throwing it out there.  Should have listened.  lol
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By optionstrader:
It seems to me, that by hiding the shutdown, they basically screwed their customer base.  I based my decision to not pick up a bunch of spare parts on AA_Phil's post.  Guess that was a mistake.

Edited to add: Randainc thanks for throwing it out there.  Should have listened.  lol
View Quote

You think they screwed their customer base- in this type of situation, the vendors and suppliers are generally the ones that really get hammered.  $$$$$
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I have 1 AA kit built on a 6.8
I should have gotten 1 or 2 spare push rods and a few other parts. Damn.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
I have 1 AA kit built on a 6.8
I should have gotten 1 or 2 spare push rods and a few other parts. Damn.
View Quote

That's interesting, I also built a pseudo M468 on AA pistion kit.

I guess we gotta waiit for CDNN flyer with AA parts kit blowout.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Any feasibility to convert an Adams Arms P2 piston upper to DI?

Just throw a gas block on it and gas tube and new bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 5:49:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By soncorn:

View Quote

That will likely work.  I don't know if AA altered the gas port size on their barrels, but I doubt it.  The early conversion kits had a bushing that had to be used in the upper where the drive rod slides into the front of the receiver.  If the hole in the receiver is too small for the gas tube, either removing the bushing (if complete rifles had a bushing) or replacing the receiver may also be required.

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 7:49:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: soncorn] [#30]
Originally Posted By BPR:

That will likely work.  I don't know if AA altered the gas port size on their barrels, but I doubt it.  The early conversion kits had a bushing that had to be used in the upper where the drive rod slides into the front of the receiver.  If the hole in the receiver is too small for the gas tube, either removing the bushing (if complete rifles had a bushing) or replacing the receiver may also be required.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BPR:
Originally Posted By soncorn:

I’ll have to take the hand guard off to see the size of the gas tube hole in the receiver.  This is more like a future plan if/when I have failures of the piston system and want to get the upper back up and running.

I also remember now the need to put gas rings on the bolt if I want to reuse that and just swap out the carrier.

For the gas port I’d probably target a low profile adjustable gas block as the whole point of using the piston system for me was for suppressed use without getting a face full of gas without having to spend (more) LMT money.  I guess I should have just spent the extra money.

Edit:
I was able to take a quick peak at the receiver and from the chamber side it looks to me like there is a bushing for the piston.  So probably pop that out to be able to fit a gas tube.

A project for some future day.

Edit again:
I had a little bit of time and I removed the hand guard from an upper. No bushing, so if the hole in the receiver isn’t large enough it’ll need to be opened up to accommodate a gas tube.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Adams Arms is a strong, vibrant company who is forging ahead on a number of fronts to remain the leader in small arms development.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#32]
If this is true and they're DOA that's a bummer. I have 3 uppers from them. 1 is a 16" mid with a Centurion Arms hand guard that they had to repair and replace the barrel due to a headspace issue and since the replacement barrel has been very reliable. I have to other uppers with their railed gas blocks but the pined versions on custom CHF CL barrels in 11.5" both of those have been great uppers with and without cans. I have a lot of spare parts so I'm not worried about needing replacement stuff. I'm just bummed that they're not around anymore. Looks like I'll have to get an LWRC 12.5.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 7:31:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR18] [#33]
Adams Arms blowout sale.

Guys, I just checked the online store. They are blowing out what is left for inventory. You guys wants some spares. This is the time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone know if their system will function without the drive rod spring and bushing??
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By johnQpublik:
Does anyone know if their system will function without the drive rod spring and bushing??
View Quote

Most likely not. The drive spring and bushing is needed to push the drive rod back into the gas block under spring power. But it does prose a good question if the what happens to the spring if it goes dead one day in the future.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By AR18:
Adams Arms blowout sale.

Guys, I just checked the online store. They are blowing out what is left for inventory. You guys wants some spares. This is the time.
View Quote

thanks.  managed to grab a drive rod.  as far as springs, if they go, can probably source from mcmaster carr or something.  the whole thing is a shame.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Anybody actually checked out and got the 20% discount in addition to the current pricing, or is that an old offer that just happens to show on the website?
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I was going to grab a few cases... all that's left on the site. But you are paying about the same cost of the case for shipping. Doesn't seem right for FedEx Ground.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Screwball: I was going to grab a few cases... all that's left on the site.
View Quote
There was more earlier today albeit not with real time inventory, for example, I could add 9,999 carbine length P series piston kits to my cart. That said, I ordered 2 and received a email confirmation.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah its a shame, I noticed the 20% off July 4th sale and tried to add a few things to cart but then they added a banner about the website having issues and all went out of stock.

Shame for a piston AR company to be going down.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#41]
I should have moved faster, I wanted to grab some extra kits.
Link Posted: 8/4/2024 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By CHC3:
I should have moved faster, I wanted to grab some extra kits.
View Quote

You can check GB. At this moment,  gotta see if anything else pops up.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Has anyone received a shipping email from the closeout sale? I checked their site and everything is sold out. I ordered 2 piston kits and received an order confirmation email, but nothing for shipping yet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2024 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By NJTac:
Has anyone received a shipping email from the closeout sale? I checked their site and everything is sold out. I ordered 2 piston kits and received an order confirmation email, but nothing for shipping yet.
View Quote

nothing yet
Link Posted: 8/6/2024 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#45]

nothing yet
View All Quotes

nothing yet

I got my shipping confirmation email today, on its way from Florida.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 9:36:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR18] [#46]
View Quote

I got the shipping email yesterday. Expecting to receive package today.

Edit: received the package today via FEDEX  with everything as ordered
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Still waiting on my items. Got an XLP kit, 2 bolt springs and 1 drive rod spring. (Figure those will be the wear items)  Already own an AA carbine. (2016 era)

For those who have already received, when did you place your orders? (From what I understand it usually takes them 7-10 business days anyway to ship, so figured it'll be that long at least)
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Flyordie209:
Still waiting on my items. Got an XLP kit, 2 bolt springs and 1 drive rod spring. (Figure those will be the wear items)  Already own an AA carbine. (2016 era)

For those who have already received, when did you place your orders? (From what I understand it usually takes them 7-10 business days anyway to ship, so figured it'll be that long at least)
View Quote

I placed my order the same day I posted the link.
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 6:18:22 AM EDT
[#49]
4 biz days from order placement 8/2 to shipping notice 8/8 for me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 6:55:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Flyordie209] [#50]
Yea, I ordered on Aug 1st.. about 11AM. Nothing ever since the order confirmation email.

Edit- Came in today via FedEx. They did include the spare bolt springs and drive rod spring.

Something I've noticed- My 2016 carrier is FAR better on the fit and finish.

So they must have been having issues and cutting costs leading up to all this.

Drive rod is also different. My carbine rod is thicker in the cup. The mid rod has a better flare.

Overall though- I'm happy with what I bought.

Next question is now- What to build it out into? 😆
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Adams Arms Lay-off Staff (Page 1 of 2)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top