BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Loves my ACOGs.

Does anybody know if the TA110’s claimed weight of 16.8oz is including that wretched mount?
I bet a full ounce could come off with a better mount.

I think that’s going to be my next ACOG. It’s still quite a bit lighter than most LPVO setups.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Whoops...
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#3]
To the member asking about eye relief with the TA31. Get a 1.93" height ADM mount. The way mine is mounted, I am able to get a clear sight picture with no muscular strain.

EDIT... still don’t know how to post a freaking picture on this site, its voodoo to me. Tried linking in the BBCode and it just displays a link. Really wish it were easier to just copy/paste.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To the member asking about eye relief with the TA31. Get a 1.93" height ADM mount. The way mine is mounted, I am able to get a clear sight picture with no muscular strain.

https://i.imgur.com/eplVhXX.jpg

EDIT... still don’t know how to post a freaking picture on this site, its voodoo to me. Tried linking in the BBCode and it just displays a link. Really wish it were easier to just copy/paste.
View Quote

I had a ton of issues with this also and no one ever really seemed to answer clearly and in depth. Not trying to hijack the thread, but here's some help:
Click the "Insert Image" button, then open your Imgur and open the image that you want to share and click the Share icon. When that opens up click the Copy URL, and then paste it into the arfcom URL bar that opened when you got the "Insert Image" button.

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ta31 is the best optic ever made.
View Quote

Yep, wish I still had my "Donut of Death" TA31, but the chevron works great.
I use the TA11C donut with the 16" and MK262, best combination I have found for all purpose use.
Often hear folks complain it is only 3.5X.  Yes, but what a 3.5X, even in low light & works great with the PVS-22.
You do carry your 7 or 10X binocs, don't you?

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I use the TA11C donut with the 16" and MK262, best combination I have found for all purpose use.
Often hear folks complain it is only 3.5X.  Yes, but what a 3.5X, even in low light & works great with the PVS-22.

https://i.imgur.com/yNUof0O.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ta31 is the best optic ever made.

https://i.imgur.com/yNUof0O.jpg

You like the donut? I like it, but it’s not my favorite. I have trouble lining up the circle for precise hits @ 100 (I realize this isn’t what the optic is made for), and the donut obscures the target a bit much between 200-300. Then again I have the Israeli donut 31 ACOG, dunno if the dimensions are any different on it. It works fine but I like the horseshoe and chevron better.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Still using a TA01 that I bought over 20 years ago.  I sent it in to have the tritium refreshed, but see no reason to change out things that still work just fine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#8]

LVOP are fudd optics never at the correct magnificat600ion on patrol rifels

the ACOG with RMR allows Me to engage from 0-600 meters
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Small, light, tough.

ACOG with an offset red dot is much better than a 1-4x scope in my eyes. I'll never use 2x or 3x, and it's faster to cant the gun than adjust magnification down to 1x.

You can add a red dot to a LPVO, however at that point you essentially have a fixed power scope with the expense of glass and weight of a variable optic.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You like the donut? I like it, but it’s not my favorite. I have trouble lining up the circle for precise hits @ 100 (I realize this isn’t what the optic is made for), and the donut obscures the target a bit much between 200-300. Then again I have the Israeli donut 31 ACOG, dunno if the dimensions are any different on it. It works fine but I like the horseshoe and chevron better.
View Quote

The chevron is a easier for 100 meter precision, but the donut is far superior at BAC which works well for me. Other's mileage may vary.
I "bisect" the target with the donut upper/lower edges at ranges shorter than the ladder or center the target which is easy.
Now this isn't a sniper platform but gives pretty good backup and out at 400+ you are on the ladder anyway with windage concerns.
Combined with the MOA performance of the Krieger and MK262, it is very effective.  
Dropping to the ground and ventilating an oil drum at 500 meters never fails to impress.  Without touching anything but the bipod.
A real rifleman does it with iron sights, without the 'pod, standing.
Could you shoot tighter groups @ 100/300 meters with a high quality 1-6 scope, yes, for sure, but again, not a sniper platform. Not even close.
However, the fact that we have these SPRs with match barrels and 9X sights with 77gr match ammo serving as "light" snipers is a tribute to the platform.
Just building this capability into a Recon shouldn't compromise it's main role, as a fighting rifle.  
ACOGs are perfect for this.  Some (and only some) folks adding on an RMR should try BAC again, it takes that dirty word, "training."
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#11]
BAC does not work well with a tritium powered ACOG in low light.  BAC also has a built in POA/POI offset due to phoria.  

An offset RMR is far superior.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All these replies have only made my ACOG interest worse!

Most seem to use the 4x versions. Does anyone prefer the TA11? I like the better eye relief (in theory). Is it worth the added weight?

Also, what if you don't shoot NTCH? Does that rule out ACOGs?
View Quote
Everyone is loving this 1.5 as well - and you should, too!

CZ Scorpion EVO 9mm by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 3:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
i like the piggy backed RMR deal, it works well for me.

i have one LPVO, the TR24. i shoot with it on 1x 90% of the time with that rifle and tried it because my distance vision is going away and the adjustable dipoter helps with that. so it replaced the RDS on that rifle for when i dont wear my specs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#14]
As far as BAC goes, I’ve been using mine with the front objective cover up. While up, it acts as an occluded red dot sight and I’m able to use it as such with no funky BAC POA/POI difference. If I need magnification, I just pop the cover down and “switch” near instantly to 4x.

Its definitely cheaper than an RMR. Though I’d still like an RMR for speed, or at least to test it out in comparison.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bomb proof. Small footprint. Relatively lightweight (compared to LPVO). No moving parts. and you can piggyback an RMR on top if you want instant 1x for close up action. (On certain models)
View Quote
I am going to try using another prism sight with a red dot on top for my next competition to see what I think. My LPVO works great but it's either at 1x or 6x so the variability, in my use case, isn't really adding anything. I would think the advantage would be in keeping the same plane versus ACOG/RMR but not having shot that way IDK if it's an issue.

I'm also considering a magnifier behind a red dot. I just think for the competitions I shoot that I may need more than 3x.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The chevron is a easier for 100 meter precision, but the donut is far superior at BAC which works well for me. Other's mileage may vary.
I "bisect" the target with the donut upper/lower edges at ranges shorter than the ladder or center the target which is easy.
Now this isn't a sniper platform but gives pretty good backup and out at 400+ you are on the ladder anyway with windage concerns.
Combined with the MOA performance of the Krieger and MK262, it is very effective.  
Dropping to the ground and ventilating an oil drum at 500 meters never fails to impress.  Without touching anything but the bipod.
Could you shoot tighter groups @ 100/300 meters with a high quality 1-6 scope, yes, for sure, but again, not a sniper platform. Not even close.
However, the fact that we have these SPRs with match barrels and 9X sights with 77gr match ammo serving as "light" snipers is a tribute to the platform.
Just building this capability into a Recon shouldn't compromise it's main role, as a fighting rifle.  
ACOGs are perfect for this.  Some (and only some) folks adding on an RMR should try BAC again, it takes that dirty word, "training."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah we always trained to shoot over the ACOG at close range, using the tip of the fiber optic like a shotgun sight rib. I guess it’s just natural for me to raise my head up, which is maybe partly why I’m so partial to a piggyback RMR nowadays. I could see the donut being better for BAC. I can do BAC, it’s just not what I do.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Zeroed another RCO-M150 today, Id buy them by the dozen if I could afford to!

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I spend most of my time on a LPVO actually killing stuff, at 2-5x, with 8x being used for bench/range work, and 1x used for HD/blasting. People who use 1 and 6/8/10x only are leaving a ton if utility on the table or are in very structured settings (square range, shoot house, etc)
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 3:39:32 AM EDT
[#19]
If I could get back into ACOGs,  I would go with, the LED 11 series.....

This thread has me wanting one again, I may go to my LGS and look through one again, it has been two plus years since I owned an ACOG

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:56:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I still rock a TA01NSN with a Dr Optics on top.

Trijicon had it recharged and it glows nice and bright.

No complaints...

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Ive got a TA31 as well at a TA11 on the way, should be here today. I am trying to decide whether to do an offset red dot or perch it on top of one of the acogs.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I still rock a TA01NSN with a Dr Optics on top.

Trijicon had it recharged and it glows nice and bright.

No complaints...

View Quote

$180 for recharge, correct?
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Heck, on "NCIS" this AM, a guy had an AR with a TA55, the most unloved ACOG of all.
I couldn't believe it, don't think I have ever seen one on TV before.
For what it is worth, I love my TA55, absolutely the best magnified sight ever made for breaking in a new shooter.
Bright, sharp, great color, contrast, definition, at only 5.5X you can see everything!
Oh, well, enough said about that "ugly duckling."

And you guys are right, the RMR piggybacked on an ACOG is superior, but BAC still has its place.
Maybe an RMR on the TA55?
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Heck, on "NCIS" this AM, a guy had an AR with a TA55, the most unloved ACOG of all.
I couldn't believe it, don't think I have ever seen one on TV before.
For what it is worth, I love my TA55, absolutely the best magnified sight ever made for breaking in a new shooter.
Bright, sharp, great color, contrast, definition, at only 5.5X you can see everything!
Oh, well, enough said about that "ugly duckling."

https://i.imgur.com/5AEYicl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kRG2tLS.jpg

And you guys are right, the RMR piggybacked on an ACOG is superior, but BAC still has its place.
Maybe an RMR on the TA55?
View Quote

TA55’s are badass. I had a few in college before selling them like I did everything else I wish I’d have kept lol I’ll pick up another one of these days though. Bulk is their con, but aside from that they’re amazing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 10:01:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

TA55’s are badass. I had a few in college before selling them like I did everything else I wish I’d have kept lol I’ll pick up another one of these days though. Bulk is their con, but aside from that they’re amazing.
View Quote

I bought one dirt cheap, the extended bell for the objective was loose, lost purge, not sure what else, but it wasn't stolen.
Sent it back to Trijicon to have the reticle replaced with the TA55A .308 reticle (quoted me $200 with tritium), and they totally rebuilt it with new tritium, erectors, glass, prism, fiber optic, everything they said, at zero extra charge.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Sick! Any more pics?
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#27]
For me the TA31RCO is the perfect optic for my M4 and allows me to maximize its performance. I drag my M4 everywhere and it just performs and never lets me down!
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I bought one dirt cheap, the extended bell for the objective was loose, lost purge, not sure what else, but it wasn't stolen.
Sent it back to Trijicon to have the reticle replaced with the TA55A .308 reticle (quoted me $200 with tritium), and they totally rebuilt it with new tritium, erectors, glass, prism, fiber optic, everything they said, at zero extra charge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s funny you mention that. I had the same experience to a T. Picked up a used 55. Looked through it and it was foggy and blurry. I called them up and even said I bought it used. They said to send it in and gave an RMA. A few weeks later I had a completely gutted and rebuilt brand new ACOG completely free of charge. Even swapped the tritium while they were in there. The only thing they kept was the housing. It looked beat to shit but was pristine internally.

I had the same thing done with an 11. Now I have a beat the fuck up 11 but internally it’s brand new. The few times I’ve used their CS it’s almost always something that I’m prepared to pay for, and if we are being honest, something I probably should pay for. They’ve always went well above and beyond those expectations, to the point I almost feel guilty like I’m takin advantage. Trijicon is good people.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It’s funny you mention that. I had the same experience to a T. Picked up a used 55. Looked through it and it was foggy and blurry. I called them up and even said I bought it used. They said to send it in and gave an RMA. A few weeks later I had a completely gutted and rebuilt brand new ACOG completely free of charge. Even swapped the tritium while they were in there. The only thing they kept was the housing. It looked beat to shit but was pristine internally.

I had the same thing done with an 11. Now I have a beat the fuck up 11 but internally it’s brand new. The few times I’ve used their CS it’s almost always something that I’m prepared to pay for, and if we are being honest, something I probably should pay for. They’ve always went well above and beyond those expectations, to the point I almost feel guilty like I’m takin advantage. Trijicon is good people.
View Quote

I'll second that notion. Trijicon CS is top notch. When the MRO HD first came out I bought one and was very displeased with the ghost reticle issue. I sent a message to them on their website very professionally voicing my disappointment with it. The product development manager called me himself and offered to take the sight back even though I bought it from euro optic and he would help offset the cost for a green standard MRO. Not only did they send me that, but also an RM06 RMR. I was floored.

Also, just recently, I purchased an ECOS used on the EE and I wanted new mounting hardware for the RMR mount. I asked them how I could purchase some l, told them I bought it used, and they still sent it free of charge, along with some stickers and a lens cleaning cloth.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 4:41:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I like my TA31 ECOS. Only thing that sucks is the eye relief. Macedon Defense had a rear cantilever that doesn't raise it to the height of the ADM mount but haven't seen them in stock for a very long time. @weaponoutfitters do you know if they're coming in soon?
View Quote

ADM makes a cantilever mount now also that brings the optical centerline up to 2.1"

https://www.admmfg.com/ad-b3-c-cantilever-acog-base-2
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Love an ACOG/RMR combo

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I had a .308 TA110 with a flickering reticle.  Trijicon is replacing all the electronics and the knob assembly at no charge.  They have been great on communication.  Perfect customer service.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#34]
I like my TA01 as a battlefield optic.  4x is plenty of magnification.  It's clear and has a huge field of view.  It works at close range due to BAC (which isn't a red dot replacement but a method to swing the rifle to the target).  It's easy and cheap to mount because it uses screws instead of rings.  The reticle is rangefinding.  There are no batteries or adjustments to mess with.

It's not for CQB or target shooting or sniping but it's great for general purpose use.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 7:46:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I’m glad I found this thread. It made me decide to order a Ta31-C and RMR mount for my new rifle instead of the 1-8 I had.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’m glad I found this thread. It made me decide to order a Ta31-C and RMR mount for my new rifle instead of the 1-8 I had.
View Quote

good call!  i like the piggy back set up alot. this is my riot control rifle with a 14.5 SOCOM barrel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#39]
The TA31 is, for me, a Unity FAST with the added benefit of giving me magnification on my SBR. The RMR works pretty good with NVGs that high, and I have the benefit of near-instant 4x.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I miss my TA31 donut-of-death... sold it so I could get into Chevron ACOGs... chevron great for precision.. donut was easier for me to quickly acquire and shoot at distance.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 8:10:20 AM EDT
[#41]
I've owned a few ACOGs with different reticles; donut by far was my favorite, it's simple and intuitive, put donut on target and shoot. Chevron is kind of an odd shape that makes my eye want to line the tip with the target, taking a little more time. I didn't care for the horseshoe at all, but it came in green which is a substantial improvement over red in low light conditions, IME. I wish Trijicon would offer the TA11C in green.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Because if you put one in my hands, with 62gr ammo and a 14.5" or 20" barrel, I will make hits on a man-sized target out to 600M, with a 95% hit rate.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#43]
ACOGs are awesome.  I have a Spike's lightweight 14.5 midlength on the way.  I'm going to keep it completely basic, throw a TA31 on it and call it a day. It's going to be my ranch beater/loaner rifle.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Everything I own I want to be 100% reliable and last forever.......
View Quote

Nothing is %100 reliable or lasts forever

ACOGs will need the tritium replaced in 10-15yrs.  That is a hard sale at their price point.  The reticle is tiny.  But lots of folks love em.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

ACOGs will need the tritium replaced in 10-15yrs.  That is a hard sale at their price point.  The reticle is tiny.  But lots of folks love em.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everything I own I want to be 100% reliable and last forever.......

It doesn’t need replacing @ 10yrs, but it will be half as bright. I’ve always considered the tritium as a bonus moreso than a major sales point anyway. Honestly I could take it or leave it if it shaved a few bucks off their price.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes.

Because like my cock at 5am, its hard, its ready, its reliable and it always works.... 5am.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#49]
i think that if more people rolled the piggy-backed RMR over to the left eye, instead of shooting it heads up with their right eye, that the RMR-ACOG would be a much more popular combo.  I have a TA31F w/ RM01 on a 10.3 gun and it's perfect....literally perfect.  I have a really natural view through the RMR for close in shooting, and I can roll it a few degrees for a beautifully clear 4x view.  No batteries needed. For faster shooting, I can make hits with the RMR out to 100 yards, or take slower, aimed shots out to 400...This combo is VERY lightweight and bombproof.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#50]
The replacement cost will keep one from throwing their weapon down the driveway.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top