Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 17 of 45)
Page / 45
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I predict the SCR is going to become VERY popular here in CA now that the new wave of anti-guns were signed in.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
I think I'll buy a Benelli MR1 on the used market instead.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/images/benelli/11801.jpg

View Quote

Good ideaa, poorly executed.

Too expensive and lacks the modularity of the AR.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Castillo:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Not to mention parts rarity.  Hell, there are only 2 rifles on Gunbroker right now.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

And you came here why then?

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

I've handled one, nice gun for a semi auto deer rifle, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:18:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#6]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:

Not to mention parts rarity.  Hell, there are only 2 rifles on Gunbroker right now.
View All Quotes

Mags are stupid expensive and ugly as well
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 3:48:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andromax] [#7]
Last year I was pretty close to buying a Benelli MR1 aka Beretta RX-4 for like $1,600 on Gunbroker. I'm pretty glad I did not! Although my SCR project has taken much longer to complete (still not done) since then, it will be way sexier than the MR1 and ya know.. have all the other cool featureless features that make it badass. There's no denying the AR platform, and this is the coolest non pistol grip semi auto rifle in my opinion. I'm sure the RX-4 is cool too, but it's got too damn expensive now, and likely not better in any quantifiable way.

I'm really digging all these sexy SCRs you guys have finished. Just submitted and waiting on my tax stamp before I put together my upper. Could be next year the way the waits are climbing
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By gadgetguy1288:

View All Quotes

Because the rifle really pesked my interest and I like what some folks have done with it. But I don't want to jump a shit ton of cash into one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By RDTCU:
View All Quotes

Uses AR mags

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Uses AR mags  
View All Quotes

Uses AR mags  

I was thinking about the R1, not the MR1

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By coldblue:
I avoided the need for a side charger by moving the scope forward with an off-set base (see my photo above). I mean for me it was all about access to the charging handle as it is on my AR's down in Florida.  Although the side charger is pretty slick, its also expensive, unique parts, etc..
View Quote

This is precisely why we need a sub forum that allows specific topics. My side Matrix side charger does not require either a specific cam like AFA, Gibbz or X-Products, or a altering of bolt like ASA. Side chargers are falling in price. Mine is very well made from 7175 and was under $200 and requires no alterations to bolt.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I want to build one of these badly, guy at my LGS said they are selling like hot cakes here in CT.  He cant keep them on the shelf.  I think I want to start with just a lower though which he said he can't get me, just have to figure out if my bank account can afford another rifle
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Open up a subforum. It deserves it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By plinker8:
I want to build one of these badly, guy at my LGS said they are selling like hot cakes here in CT.  He cant keep them on the shelf.  I think I want to start with just a lower though which he said he can't get me, just have to figure out if my bank account can afford another rifle
View Quote

Get one on Gunbroker for ~$465 shipped and have him transfer it for you. Done deal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 6:50:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Andromax:

Get one on Gunbroker for ~$465 shipped and have him transfer it for you. Done deal.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Andromax:

Yep, next pay check should make that a reality.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:13:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SCRowner] [#19]
Originally Posted By MatthewVanitas:
Is the SCR selling pretty well overall? Ares' webpage for it is pretty lame ..
I'd definitely be in favor of AR15.com adding an AWB Compliant subforum for all our brethren in CA, NY, DC, CT, MD etc since there's a ton of overlapping compatibility. What forum would we post a proposal in to get some mod attention? Though I think this thread should stay in the main AR subforum since it's of interest to non-ban folks too. Only reason I could see not having an AWB subforum is if the leadership doesn't think it'll get much traffic, or if (wrongly in my opinion) they think it'll somehow be a tacit endorsement of bans rather than a pragmatic way to help shooters in ban states. I got screamed off the Robarms XCR forum for daring to suggest the design might be a good one for an SCR-type stock for ban states, basically got called a sellout and that no patriot would ever follow these laws;
View Quote

SRC has been sold for less than 24 months and they have sold thousands as far as I can tell from serial number of my July 2014 2xx to my new 2016t lower. They ar not ruger or some huge company.
A far as carbine gas the system works great on the gun. I don't think a net 16" barrel is particularly long that is a standard from the front most AR have anyway. My build is mid-16 simply becase that gave slightly more choices but my pre built 16 with carbine gas works great.,

I get what you are saying about blowback. But we should point out the reasons, such as
a)  a much MUCH larger set of AR-15 elements and parts than any other compliant gun, really (forgive the pun) 80% the same, and
b) a LOT of us in heavy gun control states and jurisdiction's are as, or more, active in fighting for our rights, and everyone's rights, as anyone else.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:18:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SCRowner] [#20]
View Quote

1) Call Ares, get them to give you a list of names and numbers of distributors.
2) Cal them and find out which retailers they cover has  or is getting some soon.
3) Call a few local FFL and find one with a reasonable transfer fee.
4) call the outlets the distributor gave you, If local grab or order one, If not local, have them ship in stock or soon to be in stock to your local FFL.

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:42:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#21]
Originally Posted By Stickman:

I think it would make sense to have a "AWB Compliant" section.  Sure, not all states have the same definition, but it would still make sense.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MatthewVanitas:  Jerry Brown just signed legislation to ban the Bullet Button in CA, so as of January folks will no longer be able to own pistol-grip ARs just by adding a tool-required mag release. But the stricter rule to ban all detach mag centerfire semis didn't make it through, so it looks like the SCR and the Mini-14 are still kosher. Are we going to need a whole subforum for the SCR now instead of just a thread?

I think it would make sense to have a "AWB Compliant" section.  Sure, not all states have the same definition, but it would still make sense.

Call it "Behind Enemy Lines Builds".  However, the 80% folks just swung for an 80% subforum, were denied.

All of the California to Massachusetts magazine transfer threads could go in there as well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Call it "Behind Enemy Lines Builds".  However, the 80% folks just swung for an 80% subforum, were denied.

All of the California to Massachusetts magazine transfer threads could go in there as well.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By MatthewVanitas:  Jerry Brown just signed legislation to ban the Bullet Button in CA, so as of January folks will no longer be able to own pistol-grip ARs just by adding a tool-required mag release. But the stricter rule to ban all detach mag centerfire semis didn't make it through, so it looks like the SCR and the Mini-14 are still kosher. Are we going to need a whole subforum for the SCR now instead of just a thread?

To be fair 80% already have a sub-forum that they would fall into, The Build It Yourself section.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Saw a picture of a SBR setup using the SCR as a platform. There was no information with the picture, but looked like a 10-ish inch upper. I thought to myself, if only I lived in a free state!

I think a 300BLK SBR and a can would be a very neat package.

I know most of us putting these together are doing because of our state laws, but just for the shear "it's not the norm" I would think a few more folks would be doing SBR's with them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BgBmBoo:
Saw a picture of a SBR setup using the SCR as a platform. There was no information with the picture, but looked like a 10-ish inch upper. I thought to myself, if only I lived in a free state!

I know most of us putting these together are doing because of our state laws, but just for the shear "it's not the norm" I would think a few more folks would be doing SBR's with them.
View Quote

I have seen a few SBR'd and they look bad as hell.  Ill see if I can find one to post.  One in 300 blk would be a blast to shoot with a can on it
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#25]

I have seen a few SBR'd and they look bad as hell.  Ill see if I can find one to post.  One in 300 blk would be a blast to shoot with a can on it
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BgBmBoo:

Video has been taken down by B&H, but there's a screenshot at the link below.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/04/10/video-unreleased-ares-defense-scr-surfaces/
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#26]
That wasn't the one I saw, but that one is cool as well.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:40:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MatthewVanitas] [#27]
Here's the famous SBR photo:

And another one:

I think this one is SBR too:

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#28]

http://i61.tinypic.com/2r5ut83.jpg

And another one:

http://i58.tinypic.com/2clctu.jpg

http://s1.postimg.org/vjdjmvbxb/Ares_SCR_Lower_with_Custom_Upper_and_Monte_Carlo.jpg
View Quote

The middle one was the one I was referring to
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

And another one:

http://s1.postimg.org/vjdjmvbxb/Ares_SCR_Lower_with_Custom_Upper_and_Monte_Carlo.jpg

IIRC that was one mocked up by Ares, and its now the owners gun I think. Think they talked about it themselves earlier in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#30]

IIRC that was one mocked up by Ares, and its now the owners gun I think. Think they talked about it themselves earlier in this thread.
View All Quotes

And another one:

I like it, how long of a barrel is that you think?
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#31]
If I had to guess, I'd say 10", but honestly don't know.

I'm contemplating getting a second SCR lower to SBR with a 12.5" side charging upper.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#32]

I do wonder what kind of cheek/chin weld people are going for where they keep putting raised-up optics on these things. I think almost everyone in this thread is cinching the optics and iron sights down as low as they can, right?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#33]

I do wonder what kind of cheek/chin weld people are going for where they keep putting raised-up optics on these things. I think almost everyone in this thread is cinching the optics and iron sights down as low as they can, right?
View All Quotes

AR height optics won't work well.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#34]
[b]Originally Posted By Castillo:[/]

View Quote

Right, that's kinda my point; why are people putting all this money into builds and then chucking on whatever way-high optics they have sitting around? We've found a number of workable solutions in this thread, seems weird that a number of photos posted online have such uncomfortably high optics, presumably in some cases bought for that build on purpose.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I have the MC stock on my and a Luepold VX-6 in low rings. And I personally could wish for just a tad more height on the stock comb. So yeah, I don't see how folks are running higher rings...especially on the sporter stocks.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Right, that's kinda my point; why are people putting all this money into builds and then chucking on whatever way-high optics they have sitting around? We've found a number of workable solutions in this thread, seems weird that a number of photos posted online have such uncomfortably high optics, presumably in some cases bought for that build on purpose.
View All Quotes
[b]Originally Posted By Castillo:[/]

Might just be a mock up with out much thought put in or maybe they wanted to show a high speed optic mount to increase cool points.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By MatthewVanitas:  Right, that's kinda my point; why are people putting all this money into builds and then chucking on whatever way-high optics they have sitting around? We've found a number of workable solutions in this thread, seems weird that a number of photos posted online have such uncomfortably high optics, presumably in some cases bought for that build on purpose.
View Quote

Left eye dominance.  Know someone who runs a FN P90 for the same reason.  Righty shooter, left eye dominant.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#38]
" />
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#39]

What kind of upper is that?
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#40]
You going to put on some CZ/LPA sights to tank advantage of that lovely long sight radius?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:13:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IDigForDough] [#41]
Originally Posted By durask:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By durask:

Vltor stripped upper no f/a

https://dsgarms.com/vlmur-1s
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#42]
You going to put on some CZ/LPA sights to tank advantage of that lovely long sight radius?
View Quote

I'm gonna put a vortex viper 1x4x24 on it
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone considered looked into lopping of 1" from stock, especially monte carlo? As 1100 stocks can be altered to fit, and ares sells replacement stocks for around $90 the risk is limited if there is a screw up.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 3:46:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#44]
Originally Posted By SCRowner:
Anyone considered looked into lopping of 1" from stock, especially monte carlo? As 1100 stocks can be altered to fit, and ares sells replacement stocks for around $90 the risk is limited if there is a screw up.
View Quote

I took a little over an inch off of my Sporter Stock (didn't feel like buying a replacement Sporter Short stock.)  Pretty easy to do, but make sure that you measure the clearance between the end plate and the end of the recoil tube cap, so that you don't take too much off.  You need a new end plate or it will stick out the bottom.

I later replaced the modified Sporter with an 1100 walnut field stock, which I also cut about an inch off of (and cut for neutral pitch.)  It also wasn't too bad ... though a bit more nerve-racking.  

One thing to keep in mind is that you'll notice the short LOP in your wrist more with a traditional stock than with a pistol grip.  I may switch from a thin Limbsaver to a regular Limbsaver because of it.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I live in a free state and I want one of these
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By exile72:
I live in a free state and I want one of these
View Quote

Same here. Not cause I need one but just to say I have one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#47]
they look very handy. Kinda looks to be as handy as an m1carbine.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#48]

2) Cal them and find out which retailers they cover has  or is getting some soon.
4) call the outlets the distributor gave you, If local grab or order one, If not local, have them ship in stock or soon to be in stock to your local FFL.

View All Quotes

Ares Monte Carlo lower, they have others, and complete rifles also.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:07:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SCRowner] [#49]
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:

Yes there it is online,. In my case I needed bricks and mortar as I live in the worst one of the worst jurisdictions for jack#@% gun laws and processes. In any case if people can't find it online the method I outlined is helpful
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Expecting a drop in SCR sales in California as folks stock up on AWs (with BulletButton) they won't be able to buy after January? Followed by a spike in SCR sales in CA come January?
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 17 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top