AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 61
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:09:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SurtrsFire] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rifleman_556:
No pics currently- sorry.
Go-to/SHTF is a PSA (cause I’m poor ) 20” A4-ish with A2 furniture, carry handle, and Primary Arms fixed 2.5x ACSS. No light, no sling, ambidextrous selector. Never had a malfunction in the year I’ve had it, so that’s what I roll with. Need to get a PSA M16A2 Lower though...
View Quote
I'd rock a 20" a4 in the boogaloo. End of the world in style.

Needs a light and sling though
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By GHOS7:
All my builds are got to rifles really, but here's a couple that are definitely up to the task;

https://i.imgur.com/nlm5Z90.jpg

Old pics, both have had some upgrades since then.
View Quote
I like your style
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SurtrsFire:

I'd rock a 20" a4 in the boogaloo. End of the world in style.

Needs a light and sling though
View Quote
I’ve got an M60 sling and the BFG adapter to carry it cross-chest if I needed to. No light as I can navigate my house and the surrounding woods in the dark without excess noise, plus anybody sneaking around out here is a bad, bad thing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Update on my go-to rifle. Added the DBAL i2, dual switch, and YHM QD brake. Need to get a Railscales LEAF for the DBAL. Got to do a conjugal visit on my Turbo K and that thing is IMPRESSIVE.

Without the Turbo K, however, the flash is impressive with XM193

Link Posted: 3/13/2020 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#5]

I’ve got an M60 sling and the BFG adapter to carry it cross-chest if I needed to. No light as I can navigate my house and the surrounding woods in the dark without excess noise, plus anybody sneaking around out here is a bad, bad thing.
View Quote
Everyone thinks they can see in the dark...until they cant
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By M-4matus:

I like your style
View Quote
Thanks! I enjoy overbuilt things
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:
Update on my go-to rifle. Added the DBAL i2, dual switch, and YHM QD brake. Need to get a Railscales LEAF for the DBAL. Got to do a conjugal visit on my Turbo K and that thing is IMPRESSIVE.

https://i.ibb.co/6F87fwx/20200309-133030.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/B223SVc/signal-2020-03-06-191325-3.jpg
View Quote
I shot mine without my turbo K just to see what it was like and the YHM qd ain't no joke. It was worse for the shooter outside then my old single chamber break was at an indoor range.

Feel it in your face concussive. I won't be shooting without the can anymore.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 6:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, I can see all around my house in the dark and in the surrounding woods-  WITH MY PVS14's & DBal.  Shooting Offhand, I can pick off targets through the trees at 150M better than I can with an Aimpoint during the day.  Also, good luck to anyone who's optic fails and they need to use BUIS's in the dark.

Three methods of aiming and two to three methods of illumination is my standard.  If you ever loose batteries on an Aimpoint and you have no weapon mounted Flashlight, Your BUIS is pretty much worthless.  I think everyone should try shooting BUIS on a dark night without White Illumination.  Not feasible.  Again, shooting Offhand, One Helmet Mounted PVS14 and a DBal, shockingly easy to connect with targets.

The only time I would choose to run the Torch and Aimpoint at night is to blind an Assailant at ranges that are 25m or less.  So basically, inside My house, Making Entries and Raids.  On the latter, Flash Bangs would be nice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 6:29:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SurtrsFire] [#9]

Yeah, I can see all around my house in the dark and in the surrounding woods-  WITH MY PVS14's & DBal.  Shooting Offhand, I can pick off targets through the trees at 150M better than I can with an Aimpoint during the day.  Also, good luck to anyone who's optics fail and they need to use BUIS in the dark.

Three methods of aiming and two to three methods of illumination is my standard.  If you ever loose batteries on an Aimpoint and you have no weapon mounted Flashlight, Your BUIS is pretty much worthless.  I think everyone should try shooting BUIS on a dark night without White Illumination.  Not feasible.  Again, shooting Offhand, One Helmet Mounted PVS14 and a DBal, shockingly easy to connect with targets.

The only time I would choose to run the Torch and Aimpoint at night is to blind an Assailant at ranges that are 25m or less.  So basically, inside My house or Surprise Entries and Raids.  On the latter, Flash Bangs would be nice.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200313_182007-1314292.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200313_182200-1314291.jpg
View Quote
Nods is the best option but I assume 99% dont have them so a flashlight is the best they can do.

I'd rather have a flashlight and not need it instead of just blasting away only to turn the lights on after and find out I ghosted a friend or family member.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Nods is the best option but I assume 99% dont have them so a flashlight is the best they can do.

I'd rather have a flashlight and need it instead of just blasting away only to turn the lights on after and find out I ghosted a friend or family member.
View All Quotes

Yeah, I can see all around my house in the dark and in the surrounding woods-  WITH MY PVS14's & DBal.  Shooting Offhand, I can pick off targets through the trees at 150M better than I can with an Aimpoint during the day.  Also, good luck to anyone who's optics fail and they need to use BUIS in the dark.

The only time I would choose to run the Torch and Aimpoint at night is to blind an Assailant at ranges that are 25m or less.  So basically, inside My house or Surprise Entries and Raids.  On the latter, Flash Bangs would be nice.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200313_182007-1314292.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/484978/20200313_182200-1314291.jpg

I'd rather have a flashlight and need it instead of just blasting away only to turn the lights on after and find out I ghosted a friend or family member.
Agreed
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Not my SHTF self defense rifle, but should SHTF this one would (and does) put food on the table.

My hunting rifle.
6.8 spc II
DPMS match trigger
Alg rail
Primary arms 2.5x
Green hunting light.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Blanco_Diablo:

https://i.ibb.co/6F87fwx/20200309-133030.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/B223SVc/signal-2020-03-06-191325-3.jpg
View Quote
You must like pain. Short bbl and indoor range
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#13]

I'd rather have a flashlight and not need it instead of just blasting away only to turn the lights on after and find out I ghosted a friend or family member.
View All Quotes

NODS suck when any light comes your way. Thermal sucks with high humidity. White lights can give you away without proper use.

Get all of them?
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

NODS suck when any light comes your way. Thermal sucks with high humidity. White lights can give you away without proper use.

Get all of them?
View Quote
Get all 3 is the only answer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 9:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amediocreshooter] [#15]
BCM Mk2 Upper with 10.3 Centurion barrel
Gemtech BCG
MAWL
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:35:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By amediocreshooter:
Gemtech BCG
MAWL
RDIAS

https://i.imgur.com/t9a8Zbw.jpg
View Quote
10/10 my man.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:21:28 AM EDT
[#17]
10/10 my man.
View All Quotes
Gemtech BCG
MAWL
RDIAS

10/10 my man.
Agreed. Killer set up
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:21:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 5:11:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#19]

Get all of them?
View All Quotes

Get all of them?
@DefenderAO
That depends on what kind of NODS You have.  Mine work fine, with very very little halo due to light pollution and function extremely well for Daylight IR Shooting when used with the Daylight cover.

Everytime I get an extra $6500.00 I spend it on guns or motorcycles and so have yet to buy into Thermal.  I will eventually buy a Trijicon Clip On as I don't even have a NODS Clip On setup and would like to have a nighttime grab and go shooting solution that doesn't give up My position or require a helmet.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BIgDAM:
I shot mine without my turbo K just to see what it was like and the YHM qd ain't no joke. It was worse for the shooter outside then my old single chamber break was at an indoor range.

Feel it in your face concussive. I won't be shooting without the can anymore.
View Quote
Dude.. It's intense to say the least lol. But man, it sure was flat-shooting! 😅 I had a couple people walk over to see what I was shooting.

That being said, I am super impressed with the Turbo K. When I do get it out of jail, I highly doubt it'll come off my gun very often. Very little gas blowback - which I plan to mitigate with a Radian SD - and surprisingly quiet for a K can. Far exceeds my realistic expectations. I'm super happy with the setup of this rifle so far. Only thing I need to figure out is placement of the front sling attachment. Too far back (as it is now) and it gets in the way of the mag well when reloading. Then if I move it forward, I feel it'll get in the way of my grip...hmm.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:39:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DefenderAO] [#21]
@DefenderAO
That depends on what kind of NODS You have.  Mine work fine, with very very little halo due to light pollution and function extremely well for Daylight IR Shooting when used with the Daylight cover.

Everytime I get an extra $6500.00 I spend it on guns or motorcycles and so have yet to buy into Thermal.  I will eventually buy a Trijicon Clip On as I don't even have a NODS Clip On setup and would like to have a nighttime grab and go shooting solution that doesn't give up My position or require a helmet.
View All Quotes

Get all of them?
@DefenderAO

True.  I do have a WP PVS14 with FOM of over 2600 (Res 72, SNR 36.3).  My REAP is better for pure hunting and detection.  If I get white lit splashed, NODS are awful; you're almost blind.  It just depends on what you're doing.  Navigating at night?  NODS.  Need to put a pig down?  Thermal.  In the house and hear a noise?  Surefire or Arisaka and a lot of lumens.

ETA: Don't want to derail the pic thread.  A lot of great set-ups here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:21:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#22]
True.  I do have a WP PVS14 with FOM of over 2600 (Res 72, SNR 36.3).  My REAP is better for pure hunting and detection.  If I get white lit splashed, NODS are awful; you're almost blind.  It just depends on what you're doing.  Navigating at night?  NODS.  Need to put a pig down?  Thermal.  In the house and hear a noise?  Surefire or Arisaka and a lot of lumens.

View All Quotes

Get all of them?
@DefenderAO

Honestly, I am new to NODS.  I have a close Friend in the Teams.  He just hooked Me up with a sweet deal on the PVS14 I have.  But as I said, even around a lot of light pollution, they work just fine.  For example-  I have ridden My motorcycle through a well lit downtown area with My NODS and can see fine.  Mine also performs very well if I have a buddy beside Me running A Surefire shooting at the same target.

But I agree with You in regards to Thermals, anything LR or any type of accuracy shooting over 100-150m, Thermal is the answer.  I'd really like to have a Clip On Thermal to swap back and fourth between My RECCE Rifle and SPR.  Maybe even My Large Frame AR's...
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:43:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#23]
Gemtech BCG
MAWL
RDIAS

View Quote
@amediocreshooter- Super nice SBR.  Oh, how I long for a MAWL and a RDIAS and for my Cans to get out of jail...  Man I need to get off My A$$ and do the damn E Files.  I have 3 Pistols that I have already built that are ready to be SBR'd...
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By EVR:
He's right.

Idaho does suck.

Worst state in the union.

So bad no sane person wants to live here.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EVR:
Originally Posted By imdBman:
I got mine out yesterday for coyote hunting.  Only heard them, never saw them.  @EVR, Idaho sucks, I had to drive 40 minutes to be out here, 12 miles east of Silver City..
URG-I upper with Warcomp
BCM BCG
PSA M4A1 Lower with Larue MBT
Stag Ambi Raptor like CH
B5 Gen 1 Sopmod and Colt 4 position buffer tube, H buffer
Swampfox Kingslayer on MI 45* Picatinny mount.
PA Raptor in mount, (unkown manufacture)
Surefire 600 on an inline Arisaka Mount
https://i.imgur.com/gRr8BnN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lH94D5d.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/o2o9Qja.jpg
Grew up in Wyoming, on the Idaho border, NOW I LIVE IN MAINE....Idaho DOES NOT SUCK Brother.  Next time you think that, just look around, your are a lucky man to have all that space to shoot on...
He's right.

Idaho does suck.

Worst state in the union.

So bad no sane person wants to live here.
Yes stay far away, come to Washington instead, I may even know where a house and property are for sale soon.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:07:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm out of shape from where i want to be, but i notice lots of Hbar barrels, and tons of attachments, am i just REALLY out of shape for average.  I also notice a lack of slings on a lot of these rifles, you going to do everything one handed post SHTF?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/216165/IMG_1016-294249-660510.JPG

Wife's rifle(sling detached), mine is under 5 WITH sling, don't have any photos though.   neither of us wants some sort of "engagement" type SHTF, an avoidance SHTF is the plan, and both rifles will hold MOA, though i have a hard time with that on mine due to the red dot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:35:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YaBoyKGTho] [#28]

DD M47V7s 11.5" upper
Aero M4E1 Lower
Geissele SSA
BCM Stock
Trigicon MRO
Streamlight Protac light w/ cloud defensive mount
BFG Vickers Sling
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By YaBoyKGTho:
https://i.imgur.com/8oKfG80.jpg

DD M47V7s 11.5" upper
Aero M4E1 Lower
Geissele SSA
BCM Stock
Trigicon MRO
Streamlight Protac light w/ cloud defensive mount
BFG Vickers Sling
View Quote
That’s a good looking setup!
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By fsjdw2:
I'm out of shape from where i want to be, but i notice lots of Hbar barrels, and tons of attachments, am i just REALLY out of shape for average.  I also notice a lack of slings on a lot of these rifles, you going to do everything one handed post SHTF?

Wife's rifle(sling detached), mine is under 5 WITH sling, don't have any photos though.   neither of us wants some sort of "engagement" type SHTF, an avoidance SHTF is the plan, and both rifles will hold MOA, though i have a hard time with that on mine due to the red dot.
View Quote
Are you going to do everything in the daylight? I don't see any way to see in the dark attached to that rifle.

Getting weight down becomes a trade off between how light you can get it and robustness. That and you start, at a certain point, paying extravagantly for parts only to save an ounce or half or a tenth.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
I assume most people are like me and have a bunch of slings that they have hanging around somewhere. I sometimes add a sling to a rifle before I shoot it but usually I don't need one. I just set the gun down after I'm done with it. I'm also not a fan of securing a rifle a specific way to use the sling as support, so I usually have no reason for a sling. Stuff like flashlights and slings are not things I leave on weapons permanently, just when I need them.
As far as heavy barrels, well, they shoot better. Light guns with thin barrels may be easier to carry around on your person all day but most people aren't going to be carrying rifles around all day. Heavier guns shoot softer which makes them easier to control. Heavier barrels tent to shoot more accurately and do so without getting as hot, they are also less likely to get damaged from being dropped or banged into which makes them a good choice for SHTF. For a SHTF rifle, durability, control-ability and reliability are going to trump light weight for most people.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 3/14/2020 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By bigjunk1:For a SHTF rifle, durability, control-ability and reliability are going to trump light weight for most people.
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By india13c:

Yup.
View Quote
Agreed. My little 10.5 is getting somewhat heavy, but I know it's reliable as shit and setup the way I want. The only rifle I'm worried about weight on is my wife's and that's just because she's tiny and says even my MP5 is "a little heavy, but not bad."
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 7:15:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#35]
Originally Posted By bigjunk1:
I assume most people are like me and have a bunch of slings that they have hanging around somewhere. I sometimes add a sling to a rifle before I shoot it but usually I don't need one. I just set the gun down after I'm done with it. I'm also not a fan of securing a rifle a specific way to use the sling as support, so I usually have no reason for a sling. Stuff like flashlights and slings are not things I leave on weapons permanently, just when I need them.
As far as heavy barrels, well, they shoot better. Light guns with thin barrels may be easier to carry around on your person all day but most people aren't going to be carrying rifles around all day. Heavier guns shoot softer which makes them easier to control. Heavier barrels tent to shoot more accurately and do so without getting as hot, they are also less likely to get damaged from being dropped or banged into which makes them a good choice for SHTF. For a SHTF rifle, durability, control-ability and reliability are going to trump light weight for most people.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bigjunk1:

@bigjunk1
Completely agree.  A GoTo Rifle requires certain tools.  The more tools You have available to You, the better.  There are varying levels of advantageous tools which, unfortunately are regulated by cost.  But, without a doubt, if You can afford NODS, You have a force multiplier with great advantages, the extra weight is simply something One must accept, and really is not that noticeable once You become accustomed to Your setup.  Thus the reason all U.S. Military Troops who are intelligent enough to utilize these tools to an effective degree, have them mounted on Their Issued Service Weapons and/or helmets.  It's a no brainer, You have a light, You mount that light and use that light to illuminate Your target.  It would be reckless not to gain all possible advantages available to You.  Same goes for NODs and IR devices.  Hell even Bi Pods, extra Batteries, Spare BCG parts, heavier MD's and heavier Buffer Weights, Cans, BUIS, Rail Cover,  Pressure Pads, Vertical Foregrips or Hand Stops and Slings.  All items I try have on both of my GoTo Weapons.  My Truck Gun is a little different as I want It as  snag free and small as possible.

And about those slings-

=
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Right now it's the are pistol.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#37]
bump
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#39]
WOW ammo went crazy.  LIKE ITS NOT AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
people that put off buying for the past 4 years should have seen it coming. sucks if you could afford it but if you didnt buy out of laziness then its them.

i have enough ammo to supply a medium size army, no panic from me
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 6:53:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-4matus] [#41]

people that put off buying for the past 4 years should have seen it coming. sucks if you could afford it but if you didnt buy out of laziness then its them.

i have enough ammo to supply a medium size army, no panic from me
View Quote
@SurtrsFire
I agree, I have my spare X# thousands of rounds, but I train nearly a thousand rounds a month.  That I guess will HAVE TO CHANGE-

i  just went to my normal online source to get My monthly thousand and, NOPE....Not happening.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
I’m seeing some .22 available which I find extremely ironic.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#43]

@SurtrsFire
I agree, I have my spare X# thousands of rounds, but I train nearly a thousand rounds a month.  That I guess will HAVE TO CHANGE-

i  just went to my normal online source to get My monthly thousand and, NOPE....Not happening.
View Quote
I'm good for a few years even at 1k a month, no worries for me since trump is gonna spank democrat booty in november again and prices will drop.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Which ever one is closest i guess lol

Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#45]
https://i.imgur.com/KXoOee4.jpg
View Quote
Love that paint job
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#46]

Love that paint job
View Quote
thanks.

at first i wasnt a fan of it when compared to the other guns ive sprayed but now its my favorite after its starting to get some wear on it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm good for a few years even at 1k a month, no worries for me since trump is gonna spank democrat booty in november again and prices will drop.
View All Quotes

@SurtrsFire

Jeeze, I don't have the extra cash to stock deep but I had gotten my stash up over 1K of 5.56 before I did more shooting then normal in the last couple months. My count yesterday was about 700 rounds.

Now I don't have a way to resupply.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#48]
@Amos_Moses

Your P&W14.5" BCM...any issues with your WML power cable coming in contact with the barrel and melting under your rail?
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#49]
SHTF?

I have a couple of Gucci ARs but for SHTF I'll grab my M16A1... simple stupid & reliable.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Frens:
SHTF?

I have a couple of Gucci ARs but for SHTF I'll grab my M16A1... simple stupid & reliable.
View Quote
Does it have a giggle switch?
Page / 61
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top