Site Notices
Page / 182
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:

I’d sell it
View Quote

@Infidel4life11 you and @Dobs013 are trying to make a MF go broke.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

View Quote

Gangster grip would be hot on that... just sayin
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#3]
are you guize talking about mres?

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49687545421_02935d19ea_k.jpg
View Quote

@Dobs013 that gangster grip would stay with the MRE for sure. I'm thinking of putting a KAC 300m 0.33" riser (tri mount extended rail) with my Nightforce A203s from @SDMF_Rebel with an Aimpoint 5000. Never seen it before but in my head sounds slick as owl shit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Him and I are bros separated at birth!
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Infidel4life11:

Him and I are bros separated at birth!
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#7]
That explains a lot! I have a 16" middy upper I need to offload. Anyone have a use for a bare bones upper?
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Haven’t posted this in here since I changed a couple things up.

Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#9]

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49687545421_02935d19ea_k.jpg
View Quote

That is hot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#10]

#stealthislook

Digging through these pages makes me want to get rid of my M5 RAS and slap my FF RAS on my M16A4. I wasn't crazy about the M16A5 setup so the A2 stock is back on.

What are M5 RAS going for these days? Can't find one on the EE. Might end up keeping it, but spare parts are a dangerous thing when you're working from home.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#11]
My “Recce” build.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#12]

#stealthislook

Digging through these pages makes me want to get rid of my M5 RAS and slap my FF RAS on my M16A4. I wasn't crazy about the M16A5 setup so the A2 stock is back on.

What are M5 RAS going for these days? Can't find one on the EE. Might end up keeping it, but spare parts are a dangerous thing when you're working from home.
View Quote

M5s go for around $100, maybe more with all accessories
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Is a crossbolt FSB generally preferred for MRE installs? Haven't tried hammering the pins out on the existing FSB but I've heard hella horror stories about them. Any tips or tricks to keeping pins?
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 12:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Into_the_Void] [#14]
Is a crossbolt FSB generally preferred for MRE installs? Haven't tried hammering the pins out on the existing FSB but I've heard hella horror stories about them. Any tips or tricks to keeping pins?
View Quote

Heat makes it stupid easy.

Almost every problem I hear about taper pins, barrel nuts, etc. is from piss poor work holding.  If whatever you're beating on is not rock solid, all the force gets dissipated.  Just make sure you support the barrel when you hammer the pins back in.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Heat makes it stupid easy.

Almost every problem I hear about taper pins, barrel nuts, etc. is from piss poor work holding.  If whatever you're beating on is not rock solid, all the force gets dissipated.  Just make sure you support the barrel when you hammer the pins back in.
View Quote

Yup. Was pounding on my workbench with no luck. Moved it down to the cement floor and was out in two hits.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Haha so what I'm hearing is if I can't make it happen I'm an ill-prepared-baby-back-bitch?

Either way, this MRE train is rolling! And another completed new-to-me project inbound!
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Haha so what I'm hearing is if I can't make it happen I'm an ill-prepared-baby-back-bitch?

Either way, this MRE train is rolling! And another completed new-to-me project inbound!
View Quote

Big punch, heavy hammer and one good smack! I’ve run the gamut with those things, I’ve had some that were fairly easy, some that took some persuading, and others I was beating on for about an hour straight before they broke. Unfortunately you do t know what you got until you start swinging.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:

Big punch, heavy hammer and one good smack! I’ve run the gamut with those things, I’ve had some that were fairly easy, some that took some persuading, and others I was beating on for about an hour straight before they broke. Unfortunately you do t know what you got until you start swinging.
View Quote

It's an '01 Colt AF upper if it gets too pissy with me I might just wuss out and get a Remington Defense 14.5" SOCOM barrel from CDNN. Folks have been popping those out with seemingly no issues for the past few months. But with a 249F-S it might be blasphemy to not go with the C AF.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:04:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#19]
Taper pin removal is cake.

Heat the FSB, solid work surface, shock those bitches loose on the first strike. BFH and a section of 3/4" brass round is my preferred.

Like so....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#20]

It's an '01 Colt AF upper if it gets too pissy with me I might just wuss out and get a Remington Defense 14.5" SOCOM barrel from CDNN. Folks have been popping those out with seemingly no issues for the past few months. But with a 249F-S it might be blasphemy to not go with the C AF.
View Quote

Nah, you can get it. Heat, big brass punch like tig posted and schwack it!
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:52:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't even own a brass punch.  I don't fuck around.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 7:28:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wiscat] [#22]
The current state of the world has inspired me to turn some parts box objects into another working gun.

Everything here is from my parts box. Items purchased to finish this build:
-BCM 14.5 M4 upper(govt profile)
-M4 Ras(I’ve bought and sold 4 I can’t believe I am without one)
The end result should fit here pretty well!

If I want to be “more correct” I have a Lonestar grip and a N1(with sawtooth pad) I could add
But the magpul stuff matches my good rifles.

Also this is my favorite thread on here. It’s just people having fun building stuff.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Coming from a guy who doesn't own one either: do you just use a standard large punch?
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
Taper pin removal is cake.

Heat the FSB, solid work surface, shock those bitches loose on the first strike. BFH and a section of 3/4" brass round is my preferred.

Like so....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20200226-093233_Gallery_jpg-1-1342188.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20200226-093311_Gallery_jpg-1-1342189.JPG
View Quote

I'm a cheater and use my machinist vise. It's hard to explain, but you can prop it up in there and it'll pop them out. You have to have jaws that have sharp, clean corners though. If they're rounded/worn, you won't be able to grab onto the little bit of FSB below the pin.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Coming from a guy who doesn't own one either: do you just use a standard large punch?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A large nail set punch works best. It has a cupped point so it'll stay on the rounded end of the pin easier.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

I'm a cheater and use my machinist vise. It's hard to explain, but you can prop it up in there and it'll pop them out. You have to have jaws that have sharp, clean corners though. If they're rounded/worn, you won't be able to grab onto the little bit of FSB below the pin.
View Quote

I get what you're saying.

I just beat those pricks out. 2-3 smacks and they are freed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

About $4/ft online. Cheap "tool".

C360 grade.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes

I've had enough that marred the area around the pin or the punch slipped and pinched a finger, so I just go to the vice. Granted, most home wrenchers don't have a $700 Kurt vice at their disposal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#29]

I've had enough that marred the area around the pin or the punch slipped and pinched a finger, so I just go to the vice. Granted, most home wrenchers don't have a $700 Kurt vice at their disposal.
View Quote

That's the beauty of the brass...non marring. What markings are left behind are easily cleaned off, IME. (Never went full retard on one.)

As for the Kurt vises....wicked good tooling. Our machinists won't let me play with theirs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#30]

That's the beauty of the brass...non marring. What markings are left behind are easily cleaned off, IME. (Never went full retard on one.)

As for the Kurt vises....wicked good tooling. Our machinists won't let me play with theirs.
View All Quotes

I got it for free too.

I made some soft jaws to hold a reaction rod and man does it get a good grip.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:41:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Infidel4life11] [#31]

View All Quotes

All steel baby, but I use a straight square trim/tack hammer maybe 3 taps and she’s out.

I’ve built all the MREs using both taper pins and set screw FSP. To be 100% honest taper pin fsp are easier for me. Don’t tighten the rail on all the way. Leave it loose, one pin/hole will line up drive that bitch home, tighten/adjust the rail for the second pin/hole and fucking send it!
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 5:32:25 AM EDT
[#32]
I use a 3lb mini sledge on taper pins
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I’d love to see an MRE build with a suppressor flush fit against the rail. The MRE has been calling my name for years now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Outrider:
I’d love to see an MRE build with a suppressor flush fit against the rail. The MRE has been calling my name for years now.
View Quote

I might end up doing that at some point down the road. That was my original intention but after all of this searching and waiting for what I have now, I don't want to disrespect it like that. If for some reason things go awry with what I've got now, that might be an option. Does anyone make a carbine gas 16" heavy other than Rosco Mfg (who is out of stock)
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#35]

Does anyone make a carbine gas 16" heavy other than Rosco Mfg (who is out of stock)
View Quote

Check out CDNN Sports.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Doooooooo iiiiiiiiiiit
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

.....do it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I keep bouncing around but I'm trying to solidify a couple projects right now. Would an ACE SOCOM be plausible on a Daryl Holland stick? Or is CAR stock the tits for a reason there?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:25:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Infidel4life11] [#39]
I keep bouncing around but I'm trying to solidify a couple projects right now. Would an ACE SOCOM be plausible on a Daryl Holland stick? Or is CAR stock the tits for a reason there?
View Quote

Personally I don’t care what stock. I only ran a CAR because that is what he was pictured with.

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 6:48:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hawkeye66] [#40]
Attachment Attached File

Just got the Reflex back from Trijicon, man I love those guys. Rail is a DD M4 7.0.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#41]
First of all, this and the NSW thread should never leave page 1.

Second, with all of this home time it's got me thinking, can anyone machine a new MRE front filler tube to close the gap in front of the FSP?
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#42]
First of all, this and the NSW thread should never leave page 1.

Second, with all of this home time it's got me thinking, can anyone machine a new MRE front filler tube to close the gap in front of the FSP?
View Quote

Reach out to JT at Retro Arms Works.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:38:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#43]

Reach out to JT at Retro Arms Works.
View Quote

No dice on customs right now. Understandable. Shame on me for again trying to dick up a proper clone. I blame being on lockdown.

I'm over here mad that my only options for optics are eotech, Aimpoint, or Short Dot. I really want to see this thing with an ACOG.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

I used the same approach with my 4” bench vise. I use aluminum soft jaws on the push side and some steel spacers on the back side for support against the FSP. Works like a champ. An arbor press would probably be the ideal tool.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#45]

No dice on customs right now. Understandable. Shame on me for again trying to dick up a proper clone. I blame being on lockdown.

I'm over here mad that my only options for optics are eotech, Aimpoint, or Short Dot. I really want to see this thing with an ACOG.
View Quote

Dis the apocalypse bruh, there are no rules. Pretty sure this is a leupold tho

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Apocalypse and gwot inspired.

Throw a fucking atacr on there
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Apocalypse and gwot inspired.

Throw a fucking atacr on there
View Quote

My man! Or an NX8
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#48]

No dice on customs right now.
View Quote

Damn, forgot that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:06:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:

I used the same approach with my 4” bench vise. I use aluminum soft jaws on the push side and some steel spacers on the back side for support against the FSP. Works like a champ. An arbor press would probably be the ideal tool.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MJ11B4P:

Yeah, a nice arbor press would be perfect for that situation.
Page / 182
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top