Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep you have to be careful if you change the mount and you want to co-witness with irons.  I put my 503R on a Reptilia micro mount 1/3 co-witness and it's more like a 1/4 co-witness at best.  They are just at the edge of being practically usable.  I like the extra height without having to go to a 1.93" and losing irons completely or having to go with a QD version.
View Quote
I like absolute co-witness since I can quickly zero the dot through the irons.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I like absolute co-witness since I can quickly zero the dot through the irons.
View Quote
It's probably the safest bet to use absolute micro mounts for holosuns sights if you want to use your irons often.  1/3 co-witness mounts have no standard height as seen in this thread https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Micro-T1-T2-Mounts-/18-742412/ .
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's probably the safest bet to use absolute micro mounts for holosuns sights if you want to use your irons often.  1/3 co-witness mounts have no standard height as seen in this thread https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Micro-T1-T2-Mounts-/18-742412/ .
View Quote
Agreed.  I grew up with irons and am very comfortable without the optics although I keep the Holosun on my shtf sbr.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I used the Daniel Defense micro mount absolute co-witness mount (i.e. without the spacer) with my 503R and it gave me a good 1/3 co-witness with my irons.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I used the Daniel Defense micro mount absolute co-witness mount (i.e. without the spacer) with my 503R and it gave me a good 1/3 co-witness with my irons.
View Quote
I figured. Ordered another 503R a few days ago, it will be in today. Just for something cheap I picked up a like new DD mount off the EE. Seller assumed I guess it was an absolute because he didn't have the spacer. When I got it, it says lower 1/3 right on the side.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
The varying mount heights with holosun is a little annoying.

Looking hard at SLR Rifleworks newly updated absolute mounts, this one supposedly gives a lower 1/3rd for battery tray models. probably similar with the 503R.

https://slrrifleworks.com/t1-mount-absolute-ib/
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]
ADM/Seekins absolute gave me a 1/3.

The new utg absolute gave me a 1/4 cowitness.. (nice mount for a budget build imo)
Strike Industries gave me a 1/4 as well..

Sucks they are discontinued. seekins mounts seem really tough/lightweight.

Heres one with a 403R
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Was kind of disappointed in getting my 503R today. Thought it was flat black with the markings subdued like the 403R. This time I ordered the 503R because I liked the idea of the circle-dot option. When I opened it, it was glossy with bright white markings.

I went back and looked at the original post here. Sure enough the markings are white, but even it looks like a flat back. I looked on Holosuns website and it shows a flat black optic with subdued markings. Assuming they're using the 403R picture for the 503R. I emailed Holosun and asked if they had changed. They actually emailed me back fairly quickly and said the 503R was always like that. I recommended they correct their website.

Anyone try to put a Tango Down IO T2 cover on one of these?

Link Posted: 10/9/2019 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Was kind of disappointed in getting my 503R today. Thought it was flat black with the markings subdued like the 403R. This time I ordered the 503R because I liked the idea of the circle-dot option. When I opened it, it was glossy with bright white markings.

I went back and looked at the original post here. Sure enough the markings are white, but even it looks like a flat back. I looked on Holosuns website and it shows a flat black optic with subdued markings. Assuming they're using the 403R picture for the 503R. I emailed Holosun and asked if they had changed. They actually emailed me back fairly quickly and said the 503R was always like that. I recommended they correct their website.

Anyone try to put a Tango Down IO T2 cover on one of these?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twpayne75/rifles/20191009_092458_zpsnwxtl3hf.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twpayne75/rifles/SmartSelect_20191009-094237_Samsung%20Internet_zpslel6yjub.jpg
View Quote
You could clean with alcohol, put on the bikini covers, and give it a light spray of Krylon Flat Black paint.
Link Posted: 10/10/2019 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been waiting since July 29th to get my Unity Tactical FAST Mount. Once it arrives I will post some pix of the 503R on that mount.

Getting super frustrated with Optics Planet. I called last week ad they told me 10/7/2019 and here I am still waiting.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 5:55:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The varying mount heights with holosun is a little annoying.
View Quote
I was a little worried about this when I got the sister 503G ACSS. I needed it to perfectly align with a SIG Juliet 3. I lucked out, because the 503G Lower 1/3 mount, and the SIG Lower 1/3 Spacer they include, were spot on.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Here it is on a Unity Tactical FAST Mount vs the Knights Mount and a T2

It isn't very much higher than the 2.33" Center Line of the KAC T2 Combo

Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interesting seeing $150 RDS on $150 mounts.

The SIG and Holosun have 'similar features' because they are made in the same Chinese Factory.
View Quote
That’s because the days of wasting $500-$800 dollars on a red dot type sight that isn’t going to war is over.

Of course there are still a few of the “Chinese junk” guys who refuse to accept reality.

The Holosun/PA/Chinese sights I’ve had are excellent. No reason to keep my T1. The Chinese optics have more than proven their toughness.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That’s because the days of wasting $500-$800 dollars on a red dot type sight that isn’t going to war is over.

Of course there are still a few of the “Chinese junk” guys who refuse to accept reality.

The Holosun/PA/Chinese sights I’ve had are excellent. No reason to keep my T1. The Chinese optics have more than proven their toughness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting seeing $150 RDS on $150 mounts.

The SIG and Holosun have 'similar features' because they are made in the same Chinese Factory.

An aluminum tube, led, and quality circuits isn't rocket science.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
As you can see from the marks on the Holosun, I put it to use! I feel less guilty smashing around a $200 optic vs the $700 Aimpoint. With that being said, the Holosun has more than proven a worthy competitor.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ADM/Seekins absolute gave me a 1/3.

The new utg absolute gave me a 1/4 cowitness.. (nice mount for a budget build imo)
Strike Industries gave me a 1/4 as well..

Sucks they are discontinued. seekins mounts seem really tough/lightweight.

Heres one with a 403R
https://i.imgur.com/wQaLIY6.jpg
View Quote
I found Sig Romeo 5 with Seekins mount on the EE. Made and offer on just the mount and got it. Nice little mount. ADM and Larue is my usually go-to, but for under $50 I really like this mount. Put my 503R on it.

Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
You’re definitely right. It really helps that as technology advances it gets cheaper to produce.

So at first, the Chinese had to produce sights with the absolute cheapest materials and methods. And it was obvious in the quality department.

But material technology and manufacturing methods have come so far its “cheap” to produce stuff that is the equivalent of almost “top of the line” years ago.  Give or take.

Is Aimpoint still better in every way?  Sure. They still use current top of the line materials and methods.

But for non military/legit ware fare the Chinese sights are more than adequate.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You’re definitely right. It really helps that as technology advances it gets cheaper to produce.

So at first, the Chinese had to produce sights with the absolute cheapest materials and methods. And it was obvious in the quality department.

But material technology and manufacturing methods have come so far its “cheap” to produce stuff that is the equivalent of almost “top of the line” years ago.  Give or take.

Is Aimpoint still better in every way?  Sure. They still use current top of the line materials and methods.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id say in 5 years they could easily be equal as long as quality control is strict. Only thing seperating them now honestly is waterproofing and temp range.

You dont need 100 ft waterproofing but its nice to have.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#19]
So has anyone figured out how to get a 1.93 height with the holosun
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone know whats the best place to get these guys, most places seem to be oos or want 250+
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does anyone know whats the best place to get these guys, most places seem to be oos or want 250+
View Quote
Paid $149 in October from Botach. Just looked, they're out of stock right now.

They have the 403R in stock for $139, which I prefer anyway.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the 403R as well, I like it very much.  $139 is also a very good price.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Our distributor is RSR Group. They have 47 units in stock.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Man these model numbers and actual features are harder to discern than Chinese arithmetic. Some are green, red, titanium,”elite”, circle and dot.

What model is just a more durable red/green dot with 6061 aluminum? Is the 500 series better than the 400?
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Man these model numbers and actual features are harder to discern than Chinese arithmetic. Some are green, red, titanium,”elite”, circle and dot.

What model is just a more durable red/green dot with 6061 aluminum? Is the 500 series better than the 400?
View Quote
Pretty sure that all the non TI ones are 6061 ,but 500 series have the circle + dot functionality vs the 400's dot only. Besides that Im pretty sure they are the same, this extends to the pistol MRDS as well, 507 vs 407.

I believe the nomenclature can be translated to this, the series number (4xx/5xx) designates dot config, the x0x vs x1x indicates the additional accessories as the 503 comes with just a basic fixed mount and rubber covers while the 515 comes with a QD mount, flip caps and kill flash) .The next letter indicates configuration of the battery (G-side mounted in a turret,C-mounted in a battery tray) the next letter after that indicates if the adjustment turrets are protected with and (U) or if the model is a TI model with a (T) (as far as I know all T model style micros have winged adjustments).
This is followed by a dash indicating dot color, No designation=Red, GD-Gold, GR-Green

Some models do not include all the nomenclature such as the 503R discussed in this thread which features a Rheostat instead of the push buttons.
As such the 503R-GR would be a micro dot with circle dot function with a rheostat, side mounted battery and protected turrets, I guess a 503(R)GU-GR

Also pretty much all much all of the tray mounted battery models are now the solar panel models, as the push buttons are moved to the side from the top, maybe one day we can get a solar panel model with a rheostat and integrated batter instead of the shitty little tray that people have been striping out.(albeit its not something you need to change often)

Another thing to note is the models with the battery tray are a bit taller than an aim point causing some mounting problems. Also be aware of the extended warranty on the elite models(all the TI and Green/Gold dot models I believe)

Tl:DR

The 503R or 403R in your dot color of choice is probably the most straight forward choice with its tactile rheostat instead of the push buttons and no shake awake.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Just an general FYI

My 503R-GD lasted right around 5 months on setting 8 with the circle dot reticle.  It was noticeably dimmer but not blinking to show low voltage.  It was still usable if turned it up to 11/12 but looked equivalent to about setting 8 on a fresh battery.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Making things to that level of quality consistently and in large numbers is really hard.

Holosun seems to be getting the hang of it, though.   The Aimpoints I have are going nowhere, but I finally think there are some other viable options for rifles that also have irons or BUIS.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Just to add my info to this thread so it's all in one place.... The holosun 503G ACSS appears to have the same centerline as the aimpoint micros. It sits lower than the optics you guys are posting.

Here it is on a unity fast mount next to a T1 in the same mount. It lines up perfectly and also works perfectly with their magnifier mount (I prefer the ACSS capabilities for magnified use).

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Actually I'll also respond to the OP's attempt to be able to use irons under the scalarworks mount. I run the hk diopter sights under a 1.93 mount to good effect.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Actually I'll also respond to the OP's attempt to be able to use irons under the scalarworks mount. I run the hk diopter sights under a 1.93 mount to good effect.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20200109_152748_jpg-1227565.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20200109_153124_jpg-1227573.JPG
View Quote
Are those HK Height irons?
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Are those HK Height irons?
View Quote
hk diopter sights

Not sure where to get them these days. I've seen some pop up on the ee. HK makes them for the 416 but theirs are expensive.

ETA: Troy micros might work, but I think they might be just a tiny bit higher so the top of the post would almost be obscured.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just to add my info to this thread so it's all in one place.... The holosun 503G ACSS appears to have the same centerline as the aimpoint micros. It sits lower than the optics you guys are posting.

Here it is on a unity fast mount next to a T1 in the same mount. It lines up perfectly and also works perfectly with their magnifier mount (I prefer the ACSS capabilities for magnified use).

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20200109_134837_jpg-1227534.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20200109_134511_jpg-1227535.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20200109_134438_jpg-1227537.JPG
View Quote
Well, I just ordered a giraffe mount and 503g ACSS based on the strength of this post.

Very much appreciate the input!
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20200109_152748_jpg-1227565.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/435611/20200109_153124_jpg-1227573.JPG
View Quote

Would you happen to know if which of the scalerworks, 1.42 or 1.57 would be best for the Holosun HE503CU-GR; and still allow see through for irons? The 1.93 is slightly taller then I’d prefer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Would you happen to know if which of the scalerworks, 1.42 or 1.57 would be best for the Holosun HE503CU-GR; and still allow see through for irons? The 1.93 is slightly taller then I'd prefer.
View Quote
You can see through both of them to cowitness. The 1 93 is too tall to cowitness standard irons.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You can see through both of them to cowitness. The 1 93 is too tall to cowitness standard irons.
View Quote

Thank you sir - guess I should have been more clear with my question : I like the ability to see through the Scalerworks mount with my HK iron sights like your setup, not looking to cowitness.

Because the axis of the Holosuns, I’ve read they sit higher than the Aimpoint T2’s which would normally be able to work with this setup on the 1.42 and 1.57’s , I like to know if the Holosun 503 would allow a similar setup or would I need to go with a 1.93 like you did.

ETA - this is for the HK MP5 platform
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#36]
It won't matter since regardless of the center line height of the optic, the mount remains the same. So, the "window" below the mount doesn't change based on the optic that sits on it. If you're mounting on an mp5 I have no idea what will work. But on an AR with those HK sights, none of the other scalarworks mounts will allow you to see the irons underneath the optic, no matter what the optic is.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It won't matter since regardless of the center line height of the optic, the mount remains the same. So, the "window" below the mount doesn't change based on the optic that sits on it. If you're mounting on an mp5 I have no idea what will work. But on an AR with those HK sights, none of the other scalarworks mounts will allow you to see the irons underneath the optic, no matter what the optic is.
View Quote

Perfect this really helps. Using the T2’s the MP5 works with 1.42 or 1.57 Scalerworks mounts, so you’ve really helped confirm they will work with the Holosun 503’s. Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Perfect this really helps. Using the T2's the MP5 works with 1.42 or 1.57 Scalerworks mounts, so you've really helped confirm they will work with the Holosun 503's. Thanks again
View Quote
I'm not sure we have effectively communicated here, but good luck!
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Perfect this really helps. Using the T2’s the MP5 works with 1.42 or 1.57 Scalerworks mounts, so you’ve really helped confirm they will work with the Holosun 503’s. Thanks again
View Quote

You are trying to see iron under the optic through the mount correct?
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You are trying to see iron under the optic through the mount correct?
View Quote

Yes, that is correct. Thank you sir and everyone.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top