BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
yes i know but i had already got one and just wondered about the battery life.  thanks
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#2]
MrMojoRising,

Thanks for a great thread.  You saved me some hard earned cash.  

The other day, I found an "Aimpoint"  for sale in a local trader paper, at a really good price (if it were real).  It took less than a minute to see it was a fake.  I would not have had any way of know for sure if not for this thread.

It was kind of sad, the guy kept swearing it was legit, but could produce no box or papers.  He even kept it up when I showed him some of the pictures from this thread.  I figure he got took when he bought it, and didn't want to admit it.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I looks legit to me.  I'd ask the seller to send a pic of the adjustment turnets and the battery compartment to compare as those are the areas that are the most consistant from year to year for aimpoint.  All of the external markings/design features seem to be legit though from the pics you posted.

Wes
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
perfect write-up for a noob such as myself
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow I have seen many fakes in my days, but did not know how far it went.  I have seen people sell fake HKs for a huge mark up, or a real receiver with fake bs inside.

You really have to watch out for what you buy, and make sure you are getting what you are paying for.

As many have said before me only buy from from the  best, and those who will only sell the best.

Thomas
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The fakes are getting better.  I seen one the other day on ebay where all the painting and engraving looked the same.  Until he took a picture of the adjustments.  I have to say this.  If they change that watch out.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 2:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Hoping someone here can help me with a Comp M2 I'm thinking about buying.  It's used and after reading this post, I'm worried about getting a fake.  All I can describe right now are the manufacturer markings on the side.  It says Aimpoint in subdued lettering, below that is CompM2 with a 7 digit serial number and below that is Made in Sweden.  The last part and the fact that it doesn't say what MOA the sight is on the side is what has me wondering.  I didn't see anything in this post addressing the made in Sweden and why wouldn't the MOA be shown?  Is this a fake or does it seem legit?  Thanks...
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By BobRoss:

Originally Posted By Clusive:
Does this M2 look real to you guys?

www.a2host.com/upload/files/100_4075.jpg
www.a2host.com/upload/files/100_4079.jpg
www.a2host.com/upload/files/100_4083.jpg
www.a2host.com/upload/files/100_4085.jpg
www.a2host.com/upload/files/100_4104.jpg

Aimpoint covers aren't suppose to look like that?  

Those are actually the newer style Aimpoint covers. Looks legit from the pics, if you have any doubt call and confirm the serial number.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Excellent write up... I bought one of the FakePoints at a local fun show, but the 50$ I paid for it was worth at least the cantilever mount, and it's a decent sight (even though it's a pain to zero).  Once my new A3 upper comes in, the FakePoint will be relegated to the land of HiPoint 995, which is where it belongs.  I haven't had any real problems with it once it got a zero, but it also doesn't look to be as shoddily constructed as the one pictured on page 1 (maybe I got lucky).

I'll be shellin' out good $$$ for a real CompM2 with that new upper, and this thread will help me if I find one used...
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Is anyone else ENRAGED that people buy and sell this illegal crap?

Not only that, it's probably an American running the "Aimpoint" factory over there.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
i just got a fake compm4 off eGay, and it is alright i guess.  one thing that really sucked is i went to put the included riser on so it would properly cowitness with my front sight block, and the damn screws are too long.   just enough that when tightened down the sight wobbles considerably.  i could easily grind them a bit shorter so it fits snug, but that is kinda lame don't u think?  aside from the screws for the riser not working, the sight looks great and works just as well.  the mount is very secure but the body of the scope is made of very soft aluminum which can't take ANY abuse.  the only obvious giveaway that it's fake is the switch u use to set the brightness doesn't have the white line on it.  

it has 4 brightnesses for each color of the diode (red or green)

off is between each color and can be reached by going clockwise or counter clockwise

all u guys with real aimpoints have to be jealous of my green dot:

the dot is bloomed out b/c my camera sux, it is actually just like a real aimpoint's 2moa dot.      i just wish the riser worked so my sight picture wasn't 80% fsb...lmfao
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:48:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Unicron] [#14]
nice green dot man.

Past weekend I ran into an individual at a gun show that was trying to sell an fake Eotech for ~ $300.
Having owned an eotech...it looked real to me, and didn't know they sold fakes.
Good thing i didn't jump on it, because later he admitted to me it was fake, and sold it to some poor guy for $225.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:09:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OCgmoney] [#15]
Here is where you can buy the fake ones...  I just bought one thinking it was real, but this site helped me determine mine was a fake.  It was only $59 so I guess you get what you pay for.  You can get a ACOG for $79...  HA HA HA

www.order-bulk.com

Here are some pics...

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd274/gghahyasi/DSC02481.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd274/gghahyasi/DSC02482.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd274/gghahyasi/DSC02483.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd274/gghahyasi/DSC02484.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd274/gghahyasi/DSC02485.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd274/gghahyasi/DSC02486.jpg
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By MrMojoRising:

Originally Posted By BobRoss:

Originally Posted By Clusive:
Does this M2 look real to you guys?

www.a2host.com/upload/files/100_4075.jpg
www.a2host.com/upload/files/100_4079.jpg
www.a2host.com/upload/files/100_4083.jpg
www.a2host.com/upload/files/100_4085.jpg
www.a2host.com/upload/files/100_4104.jpg

Aimpoint covers aren't suppose to look like that?  

Those are actually the newer style Aimpoint covers. Looks legit from the pics, if you have any doubt call and confirm the serial number.

Whats the ph#????????????????????
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info and pics.  I pickep up a NIB M2 and QRP mount this week at a local shop for $350.  It sounded like it was too good to be true, but everything seems legit judging by your photos.  I'm glad I didn't pass on it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 9:01:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#18]
Do ALL have the same sequence of model, moa, model number and serial number?

For example:  "Comp M2......4MOA"  then the second line "10336 12345678"

I found one on ebay that read "Comp M2...578??" then "Made in Sweden" on the second line.

I aked the guy if it was real or a fake airsoft copy, if real I asked him to give me the serial number, he got pissed and said he "didn't like being called a fuckin' liar".

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260268781650&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Link Posted: 8/4/2008 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#19]
id like to know about them saying "made in Sweden" on the second line too. theres one on ebay that im looking at but ill wait till he takes pics of the adjustments and battery compartment.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By second2none:Whats the ph#????????????????????

The Aimpoint website says:

North American - Sales Office
Markets: USA and Canada
Aimpoint Inc.
14103 Mariah Court
Chantilly, VA 20151 - 2113
Phone: +1-703-263-9795
Toll Free: 877-Aimpoint
Fax: 1-703-263-9463
E-mail: [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 4:45:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WasatchAR] [#21]
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Real or Fake?

Bought it from this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=170232580069

As you can see, the seller said it was real.  The power switch has 15 power selections including off and does not go all the way around.

The tension mount looks real.

The KillFlash has patent information engraved on it.

Let me know what you think as I think I got it for a great price if it is real.  If its fake Im contacting pay-pal.

Link Posted: 8/16/2008 9:50:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wangstang] [#23]
Read over my post on Pg two covering the fake M4's

The 15 settings plus, no rotating all the way around, combined with the line on the switch face indicates it's probably legit.

Remove the base/mount and look at how it mounts to the actual aimpoint...Post pics.  It should be a "keyed" locking design and not the straight chanel design the fake points are using.

Here is a pic of the mount LaRue offers:

Edit to show from my post on Pg 2...Here is the fakepoint:

Wes
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Here is a picture of the base:

Link Posted: 8/30/2008 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#25]
i ordered a fakepoint m4 last night.  i was gonna put it on an airsoft gun but i think i may mount it to a rifle and give it several trips to the range to see what happens.  i'll post pics when i get it,  i will update with pics and info as it see range time.  since i cant find any solid info on whether or not they will hold up to live firing i will try to be as thorough as possible.  any torture tests that would be worth trying?  with the exception of throwing it down range, shooting it, etc.  i wont do that with a real aimpoint so i wont do it with a fake one.  only real life use scenarios please.  we will see how it holds up.  dont get me wrong, even if it is the best red dot sight in the world i still will not recommend it to police friends of mine or anyone using their rifle for self preservation purposes.  if it craps out then we will know
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#26]
good info for us newbs.

thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Excellent information! I just joined, and am looking for a scope.  I am in the market for an ACOG TA01, but I am still researching all of the info on all of the optics here before I make my final decision.  I believe I can put the information in this thread to very good use.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2008 4:00:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wangstang] [#28]
Woops
Link Posted: 9/9/2008 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By WARDOG7366:
Great POST and thanks to the MODS for Tacking it.
Here is my story.  While I got "Took" from a major supplier, they are NOT a Industry Partner at ARFCOm that I could tell.

WARDOG - can you tell us who it was that ripped you off?

While not an Industry Partner here at ARF, I'm sure that there are others here (as well as myself)
who'd like to know if there's a big-time dealer out there who's passing off ChiCom knock-offs
as legit items, for real-thing prices.

I, like others, want to spend our hard-earned $$ on the real thing, from somebody who's honest.
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Wish I had seen this thread before I dropped $450 on a fake Aimpoint.

"It says Aimpoint on the side, looks legit, theres no way anyone could import a copy with aimpoint trademarks right?"

wrong.

Link Posted: 9/12/2008 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Take some pictures of it and post them so people can see yet another fake aimpoint.  They seem to be making them more and more like the real thing.

Link Posted: 9/12/2008 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By texas_archer:
Take some pictures of it and post them so people can see yet another fake aimpoint.  They seem to be making them more and more like the real thing.

I don't have a camera ATM, but it's the third down from the top on the first page with white lettering and the fake knights mount.
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 1:23:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Has anybody taken apart a Clone aimpoint 3x?

Link Posted: 9/15/2008 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#34]
ok. So to follow up on my previous post.  I received my clone m4.  First impression is that the body seems to be solidly built.  The screws that hold the mount to the body however were too long and had to be filed down.  The dot isnt near as crisp as advertised on ebay.  So far my initial impression is below average as far as quality goes.  Granted it is a toy.  I'll get to the range in the next few days and snap some pics and give it some time under recoil.  Hopefully it'll hold up well enough to be used on a 22lr upper.  The screw for the mounting nut feels awfully fragile, so i dont have high hopes as far as holding zero.  Maybe I will be suprised.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 3:43:31 AM EDT
[#35]
OK so I may have been dumb I dont know yet. I did a buy it now on this auction last night Aimpoint comp M2 mildot scope  It seemed like a good deal, but then I start reading about all the fakes.  Does this look like a legit Aimpoint, or do I need to wait until it gets here to examine it?  I paid via PayPal but via CC so can always do a charge back if needed.
Let me know what you think on this, good deal or did I do a stupid and get burned?
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Tucson_fun:
OK so I may have been dumb I dont know yet. I did a buy it now on this auction last night Aimpoint comp M2 mildot scope  It seemed like a good deal, but then I start reading about all the fakes.  Does this look like a legit Aimpoint, or do I need to wait until it gets here to examine it?  I paid via PayPal but via CC so can always do a charge back if needed.
Let me know what you think on this, good deal or did I do a stupid and get burned?

The Aimpoint in the pics is an older model but it is the real thing. The Aimpoint QRP mount is also real but I'm not too sure about the ARMS mount.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By MrMojoRising:

Originally Posted By Tucson_fun:

The Aimpoint in the pics is an older model but it is the real thing. The Aimpoint QRP mount is also real but I'm not too sure about the ARMS mount.

Thanks for the info that takes a load off of my mind
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Any fake H-1s or T-1s out there?
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I personally haven't seen any yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#40]
So does real M2s say made in Sweden or did I get ripped off?
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By CajunTim:
So does real M2s say made in Sweden or did I get ripped off?

Read this thread:
Army CID picked up my AIMPOINT yesterday.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 4:04:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: michaelbfriedman] [#42]
Just got my M3 2 MOA (28 complete pictures in the link below) off of ebay and I have to say that I have not been impressed with my last few purchases.  I did get the 30% off but I think I got a floor demo that was listed as new.... It is just a little banged up.

My aimpoint has a rubber cover that smells terrible (ancient rubber smeill) and is very rough feeling and not snapping back (like it is really old)

Does anyone else have that?  It was listed as new.... Aimpoint

Also, is aimpoint engraved on the tube in two places?  It is a very fine outline.  Always wondering about how good the fakes really are....

Also.... 4 is the first position I can see the dot (in daylight) and 6 is the comfortable position and 9 blooms big time.

PLUS!  the directions say 10 positions (4 nvd and 6 daylight) on the knob but I only count 9 clicks..... is off an NVD position ?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 10:11:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By Rob123456789:
id like to know about them saying "made in Sweden" on the second line too.
Me, too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By David14:

Originally Posted By Rob123456789:
id like to know about them saying "made in Sweden" on the second line too.
Me, too.

Normal and legit. I haven't seen a fake try to copy that yet.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 12:38:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrMojoRising] [#45]

Originally Posted By michaelbfriedman:

My aimpoint has a rubber cover that smells terrible (ancient rubber smeill) and is very rough feeling and not snapping back (like it is really old) Normal

Also, is aimpoint engraved on the tube in two places?  Yes

Also.... 4 is the first position I can see the dot (in daylight) and 6 is the comfortable position and 9 blooms big time.  Normal

PLUS!  the directions say 10 positions (4 nvd and 6 daylight) on the knob but I only count 9 clicks..... is off an NVD position ?    There is no "off"  

The Aimpoint in your pics has the newer style flip-up caps and cover. The rubber armor cover may have been stored improperly but it's fairly normal for them to smell a bit and be rough. If it feels really dry, cracks or hangs loose once mounted on the sight I would call Aimpoint and ask their opinion.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Thank you for that!  Glad to join the team too!  Should have done that way back!!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I wish I would have known there are such underhanded people out there.  I just got taken.  Found this thread after I got home from the gun show.  Sux to be me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 2:43:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Anyone dealt with this individual on ebay? Can you tell me if it's fake?
Aimpoint M2
Link Posted: 10/21/2008 11:37:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WARDOG7366] [#49]

Originally Posted By Tanker06:

WARDOG - can you tell us who it was that ripped you off?

While not an Industry Partner here at ARF, I'm sure that there are others here (as well as myself)
who'd like to know if there's a big-time dealer out there who's passing off ChiCom knock-offs
as legit items, for real-thing prices.

I, like others, want to spend our hard-earned $$ on the real thing, from somebody who's honest.

YES!  SOG ARMORY are the folks selling FAKE AIMPOINT Clones representing them as real.  I know it will be hard to believe, but  without a doubt it is SOG Armory.  The owner, 'Mark' was personally at the gun show with many, FAKE Aimpoints under his case.  I dealt with him specifically in my complaint, and he is the person who signed the partial refund check.  I have been purchasing from them for years which adds insult to injury to my pocketbook.  He never admitted that their booth represented the Clones as real, and dodged my questions about even carrying trademark violation items.  ALSO, I bought 3 ambidextrous AR selector levers.  One broke while installing, a second broke with minor pressure and I threw away the third since my life depends on my weaponry.  It's sad that SOG armory seems to have gone "Chicom" with their parts while still charging for quality parts.
Sog quickly removed all clones from their website during my beef, but they are back on the website again.  click on this link  SOG ARMORY CHICOM 3X Magnifiers you see a pic of a AIMPOINT looking 3X magnifier, GT 3X OPTIC Magnifier , but when you open it, it shows a different model.  What I got is pictured in this post, with all Aimpoint trademark markings.
I have spoken with everyoneI know in Law Enforcement & Military about my "incident" with SOG.
I do not know why AIMPOINT was never interested enough to respond to me, especially since SOG Armory is listed as an authorized dealer for Aimpoint at AIMPOINT's website.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Is this real?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=597130
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top