Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 128
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
You know there's at least 2 of us that would give you some serious cash for that bad boy ;)
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

Still working on it.

Trust me, you will see Frankenstein’s Monster come alive.

I’m still thinking of using a JMT (James Madison Tactical) plastic lower receiver, I can’t find any documentation of any failing.
View Quote
It's an 80%, no?

It's nice that no reports can be found of one failing... but not sure how meaningful that really is without knowing how many of them are in use relative to other polymer lowers that are failing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Some of the parts that are currently on it are there just because I had them, until I can afford to replace them with lighter parts.
I did take your advice on the trigger group. I had a plum crazy lower sitting in the safe. I pulled the polymer trigger group out of it and put it in this gun. 2oz weight drop.
I was not crazy about the polymer trigger group in that lower when I decommissioned it, but honestly, I put at least 300rnds through it and it never failed to set a cartridge off, and the trigger pull is actually not bad.
I found an outfit online selling 3D printed grips, for a reasonable price and ordered one.
down to 4.15lb as of today.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the name of this 3d printing outfit? When it arrives be sure and weigh it for us!
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#7]
form 3d firearms
https://form3dfirearms.com/product/titan-grip/

They claime 1.1oz. I will post my weight when it gets here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 11:14:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#8]
Breaststroker I can't remember, is that where our k grips came from??? Wait it is!!! They have a 0.8 oz k grip dude.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:46:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: breastroker] [#9]
Sweet, THANK YOU! I bought the paint blem for only $64 and free shipping. The plain titanium grip weighs a super heavy 0.795 ounces ( 21.260  grams)

Just got an email from V Seven, new magnesium blend handguards for AR15's. The 10 incher weighs a HEAVY 4.0 ounces and the barrel nut 1.13 ounces. Since I don't hold the AR by the handguard I would have no problem with the 9.2" or the 7.1 inch.

V Seven

10.0" LENGTH: 10.0 IN   WIDTH: 1.5 IN   HEIGHT: 1.97 IN

WEIGHS APPROX. 4.0 OZ

9.2" LENGTH: 9.2 IN   WIDTH: 1.5 IN   HEIGHT: 1.97 IN

WEIGHS APPROX. 3.5 OZ

7.1" LENGTH: 7.1 IN   WIDTH: 1.5 IN   HEIGHT: 1.97 IN

WEIGHS APPROX. 2.8 OZ

5.7" LENGTH: 5.7 IN   WIDTH: 1.5 IN   HEIGHT: 1.97 IN

WEIGHS APPROX. 2.4 OZ
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered 2x of the paint blems myself. I wonder what the paint is and how hard it would be to strip. I sent them an email asking.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll bet it's cerakote.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 4:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Sooooo how about that new BAD ultralight parts? What we were doing as custom, they're going to actually produce. Lightened/shortened "1 set screw" Ti gas block and a 14.5" bbl designed with a short gas journal to go with. I haven't looked for weight data yet, but I presume it's lighter than a faxon pencil with so much less journal...
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#13]
blem Ti printed grips came in. So close to ducking in under 4lb now.

Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I might need to order these items...
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:21:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: breastroker] [#15]
Cutlass1972,

When you post full size 10 megabyte photos, it becomes difficult to see. I use a program called https://www.irfanview.com/ , used it for almost 20 years. Was FREE

I resize the photo to 30 to 50%, making the photos much easier to look at.

You are only 0.417 ounces from the magic 4 pound barrier. Do you really need the end plate? I never put one on, bet that weighs over .5 ounces.

Actually you are under 4.0 as you are weighing with the Sig red dot. We all weigh our rifles without the scope and mount, and without the magazine as choices vary greatly.

I have an aluminum 5 round magazine weighing 2.0 ounces.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#16]
The handguard is the biggest offender. Probably has a big fat steel barrel nut! I should've bought a magnesium kmr7 back when they were available!!! Granted they were only available for like a month in that length 🙄 I've got a 9 and a 10.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree, the hg and barrel nut need to go. Waiting for funds. For the now it is what it is. I'm shooting for >32oz.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By pscot468:
The handguard is the biggest offender. Probably has a big fat steel barrel nut! I should've bought a magnesium kmr7 back when they were available!!! Granted they were only available for like a month in that length 🙄 I've got a 9 and a 10.
View Quote
The magnesium ones are available from v7. They're lighter than the kmr.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 11:11:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#19]
This is true, thanks for the suggestion! I forgot they were doing short lengths now. If you buy a stitchclimber aluminum barrel nut and v7 Titanium hardware a kmr 10 is lighter than the v7 10.5 with titanium bolts. Not by much but it is. IDK about the 7" lengths though. Lol Cutlass waiting for funds is the story of my adult life!!! I wonder if BAD is gonna sell that oip gas block on it's own, if love to have one with my rifle. I can't permanently attach a 7075 aluminum a2 flash hider though! It could crack and it's discontinued 😶
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 5:16:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#20]
hmmmm...just looking at the BAD site, the bbl/GB combo is heavier than I thought it would be (18.6oz combined). I wonder what the OD of that bbl is relative to Faxon's pencil. In the end, it seems like the 14.5 SLIM from Faxon with the gas journal shortened to work with this new BAD GD might be the lightest possible option. Sucks, I was hoping there was going to be a 'factory no mods required' option to roll with. Bbl is far and away the heaviest thing on an AR, getting the lightest option there is Job 1 in any ULW build.

Faxon needs to make a run of Ti SLIM FHs too...
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 5:25:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#21]
Anybody want some black diamond iron City lightweight bolt carrier groups? Lightest steel full auto carrier around! They cycle too fast for my 16 in carbine gas 6.5 grendel and my 300 blk 8.5 in. No heavy buffer, not even one of slash's, can slow it down enough for the bolt catch to work on the Grendel. The 300 blk isn't as bad but l demand perfection. I've had almost zero issues with it in the 556 though. Standard carbine buffer and ancient ok/center aluminum 30 round magazines with black and green followers is the only combo that won't lock the bolt back in the carbine gas 556. I'm using adjustable gas of course. I'm gonna replace all 3 with full mass carriers with the same black microfinished dlc coating. I have 2 old style, and 1 new style. Only difference is the new style has a fiber etched logo, the original is fully coated. $200 apiece. All will be complete with coated 5.56 bolts and cam pins.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I think the lightest 0.625" gas block is the BAD-LGB-Ti-625 Lightweight, Low Profile Titanium Gas Block @ 0.48 ounces unmodified.

Many of us have cut half of the bottom of the gas block off, making it a single set screw. Then some have used a titanium set screw.

I have searched for the last 20 minutes, can't find a photo of the cut down BAD's weight. It was under 0.40 ounces though
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 6:27:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: breastroker] [#23]
Got my Form3D black pistol grip. Heavier at 1.106 ounces or 31.36 grams. I can't see any blemish in the paint??? Back in the old days when the MagPul K grip was the lightest, we could only dream of a 1.1 ounce grip.

It has two layers of titanium in the hand part, it you could cut the inner part off it would weigh a lot less.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By breastroker:
I think the lightest 0.625" gas block is the BAD-LGB-Ti-625 Lightweight, Low Profile Titanium Gas Block @ 0.48 ounces unmodified.

Many of us have cut half of the bottom of the gas block off, making it a single set screw. Then some have used a titanium set screw.

I have searched for the last 20 minutes, can't find a photo of the cut down BAD's weight. It was under 0.40 ounces though
View Quote
Yeah but the lightest adjustable that doesn't require you to take the handguard off is probably gonna be from SLR
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Compared to the Next Intent Tactical Adjustable the SLR is supper heavy.

You won't find any SLR gas blocks on any of my Ultra Light Weight AR's.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been lurking on this thread for a bit and got the bug. It really started after my first 11.5 pistol build and realized how much easier it was to handle compared to my DDV7.

I've started putting together a parts list and am leaning toward the BAD receiver set just because I like the look and the weight is decent. From there, a 10.5 Faxon pencil barrel, magnesium handguard(V7 Hyperlite looks interesting) and I'm guessing many titanium smaller parts. My main hangup to keeping it light will be the stock. I plan to Form 1 this rifle and want a stock with a nice cheek weld. I like the angled edges of the BCM Sopmod 0 but, it is a hefty 9oz.

Any suggestions for stocks similar to the Sopmod 0(with angled cheek weld)that are lighter?
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:55:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#27]
6 position stocks are always big offenders when it comes to weight. A carbon fiber mil spec tube is a good idea to shave off those oz. I know one company makes one, Andro Corp industries. I like the mft minimalist stock for weight. Nothing collapsible is lighter than a Colt fiberlite though. Some modern copies with modern polymers are lighter though, like the one from ar-15shop.us The mft has the better cheek weld though for sure.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#28]
6 position stocks are always big offenders when it comes to weight. A carbon fiber mil spec tube is a good idea to shave off those oz. I know one company makes one, Andro Corp industries. I like the mft minimalist stock for weight. Nothing collapsible is lighter than a Colt fiberlite though. Some modern copies with modern polymers are lighter though, like the one from ar-15shop.us The mft has the better cheek weld though for sure.
View Quote
I put that buffer tube on the list. Thanks. I've thought about the MFT as well for the weight. The cheek weld isn't as nice as the sopmod but the weight savings is substantial.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I really like the old car stocks with absolute cowitness zero magnification optics. I'm using an aluminum car stock that's powder-coated on my duty 556.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I got my gas systems all tuned today. I ditched the lightweight carriers and got the full mass cryptic coatings mystic black in there. Here are my successful recipes. 16" fn chf 556 carbine gas is using h3 buffer, sprinco red spring and gas fully opened. 16" Sabre defense CL 6.5 Grendel carbine gas is using slash XH carbine buffer, sprinco red spring and gas fully opened. 8.5" fn CHF 300 blk pistol gas is using Maxim h3 buffer, and Maxim spring and gas fully opened. The Maxim spring is basically a cut down 308 spring. It's about as stiff as a sprinco blue or Wolff xp but with less coils. It even cycles subsonic ammo but the bolt won't lock back with that stuff. I tested each weapon to see if the bolt locked open bone dry with a loose grip, and soaking wet with a tight grip. Old aluminum 30 Rd mags with black followers and new Daniel defense mags were used in the tests for 556 and 300 blk. C products steel 27-28 Rd mags were used for grendel tests. I'm pleased to report 100% reliability, ZERO issues, the bolt locked back reliably every time in every condition. Feeding was good too, as you can expect with h3 buffers and xp springs. Even when I was simulating full auto with the echo triggers. You gotta worry about heat speeding up the cyclic rate but those heavy buffers really do the job. If you plan on using older aluminum magazines I recommend the heaviest buffer your gun's gas system can handle. IDK if this info belongs in this thread but tuning your gas is an important part of building a lightweight ar-15. Not that any of my guns today were featherweights. Another thing I've run into with 7.62x39 case head calibers (7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, and 50 Beowulf) is if you have the gas turned down a little too low it'll have trouble ejecting your brass cases.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#31]
That's some great info pscot, thanks for posting!

On the PWD front, after a good 8 month hiatus, I'm back at it. I've started whittling down the list of user supplied data, but still have a bunch to go. I also added all BSF bbls to the list (new supplier for the database). Once all the user data has been integrated, I'll be going over the last few pages of the thread here to get your guy's stuff too. Within a week the PWD should be updated back to it's full cutting edge glory.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:
magnesium handguard(V7 Hyperlite looks interesting)
View Quote
It is.  I have a couple, they are absolutely fantastic.  I have a good working relationship with Joel, he sends a lot of stuff my way to review.  Through use and abuse those magnesium forends have help up wonderfully.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By withoutremorse42:

It is.  I have a couple, they are absolutely fantastic.  I have a good working relationship with Joel, he sends a lot of stuff my way to review.  Through use and abuse those magnesium forends have help up wonderfully.  
View Quote
Good to hear. Can you tell me if the advertised length is accurate? I've seen some handguards advertised at a certain length and they end up being longer or shorter. I've got a few in my spare parts bin right now.

I'll be using a 10.5 faxon barrel and plan on getting a 10 inch rail.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't forget v7 has a sister company named dark hour defense, they also make magnesium handguards but for a lower price.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Don't forget v7 has a sister company named dark hour defense, they also make magnesium handguards but for a lower price.
View Quote
Yep, I've looked at them but, they don't make a 10 inch. They have a 9 inch(actually 9.2) and an 11 inch(actually 11.1)
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#36]
major PWD update today ladies & gents: all user data has been integrated, all user comments have been addressed. 2A Armament's newest releases added. Oregon Rifleworks products added. Several others that escape me at the moment. Next task: integrating data from the last several pages of this thread...
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#37]

It is. They bought tegra.
View Quote
Has this been confirmed? the Tegra www site has a 2019 date on it and it says lowers are in stock / ready to ship. Seems from afar like they just agreed to make NFA branded lowers for NFA...not that the company was sold to NFA.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By hfrog355:SLR Rifleworks Long mount, 1 screw: 1.23 ounces
https://i.imgur.com/9cCWPi7l.jpg
View Quote
model? they make several mounts, don't want to misattribute...
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

Has this been confirmed? the Tegra www site has a 2019 date on it and it says lowers are in stock / ready to ship. Seems from afar like they just agreed to make NFA branded lowers for NFA...not that the company was sold to NFA.
View Quote
Breaatroker said it was so the last time he visited NFA.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

model? they make several mounts, don't want to misattribute...
View Quote
https://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=827
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Breaatroker said it was so the last time he visited NFA.
View Quote
Can you verify stroker? Seems like "we bought them" (meaning the company) and "we buy them" (meaning lowers FROM Tegra) could pretty easily be mistransliterated when the story is passed from person to person, or perhaps important emphasis/inflection lost via the www...
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#42]
A little bit of a side note, but as a spiritual sequel to the Loadoutroom article I did on my ultralight build I'm writing an Ammoland article covering the subject as a primer to the uninitiated.

My question for all of you:  at what weight do you draw the line between a light build and an ultralight?  I know the record is around 2.5 lbs for a modified-parts gun, I myself think a factory parts gun under 4lbs cracks the ultralight line.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 2:59:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#43]
It's debatable and our perception of it kind of changes over time as materials improve...but that said, my idea of "lightweight" is sub 6lbs. The m16a1, which was very light considering it's bbl length, was 6.35lbs. ultralight, to me, is 0-4 lbs.

Also, big thanks for linking to the PWD in your article, I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 3:42:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hfrog355] [#44]
For me - lightweight is sub 6 pounds, with a modern (i.e. red dot or better) sighting system. Ultralight is sub 4 with the same.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 6:58:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: breastroker] [#45]
I didn't talk to the NF owner, talked to a veteran who gave a couple of limbs in defense of our freedom. I love that NF employs Vets.

Related to the NF L4 lower is Joe Bobs price of a HUGE $27.95

Agree, sub 4 pounds is Ultralight for an AR15, sub 4.5 pounds for an AR308
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I agree.

Lightweight sub 6lbs
Ultralight sub 4lbs

Must include sights or an optic no magazine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess I'm shooting to squeak into the Ultralight category with my build then. Of course, mine will have a 10.5 barrel if that matters. Below are the parts I'm considering. I know I'm missing the gas tube and muzzle device(suggestions welcomed)and the springs/detents but, I think I have everything else. Cells with weights are the parts i'm considering. The others are just place holders. Please let me know if I'm missing something and any suggestions. Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/16/2019 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#48]
I agree with everybody on the lightweight, ultralight weights. Under 6 and under 4. For 308 add 1 lb. I'm about to read the article!
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Great article! I agree that recoil with these competition parts is virtually non existent when you use adjustable gas. As far as accuracy on the faxon pencil barrel I suspect the 1-8 twist is robbing us a little. The guy the faxon could probably give us more info though. Is that a polymer car stock I spy withoutremourse??? 😀
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Ultralight AR-15 ver 2.0

I just don't understand why people think the 75 and 78 grain 223/556 ammo is so good for testing. These are made for long bull barrels, not for sub 20 ounce pencil barrels.

Those rounds are great for testing 556 out to 500/600 yards, but suck for less than 200 yards.

Try that ultra light 556 barrel with Black Hills 52 grain Sierra Match King ammo, this is by far the most accurate 223/556 ammo out to 200 yards. Usually half the group size over 55 grain ammo. My best group ever was Black Hills 52 gr. SMK at 200 yards, 24 rounds inside a quarters size. Midway used to sell them in boxes of 50 for less than $20 for blems.

The best I have got out of the Faxon 19.4 ounce pencil barrel was 1.15 MOA. That's using an 12 power scope at 100 yards.

I do disagree on weighing our ultra light weight AR's with scope. Same with magazines. I have a 2 ounce aluminum 10 round magazine for my 6.8 SPC II. Others might only have 30 round magazines. Apples to Oranges.

One persons scope might weigh 1.1 ounces, another's 18 ounces. I personally will never use a Red Dot type scope as there is just no way a 3 or 4 MOA Red dot scope will get the best accuracy. There is the old saying only an accurate rifle is interesting. I don't have any 3 or 4 MOA rifles.

Some people can get by with a fixed 4 power scope. I need at least 10 power at 100 yards to get under 1 MOA. Most of my scopes are closer to 18 power, and most of my longer range AR's have 24 to 35 power scopes.
Page / 128
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top