Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh yeah? What wire reticle LPVO has a military contract?

Unless you mean individual purchase. Which we have a guy here who used a UTG optic successfully in theater.

Regardless of combat or range, there is no argument that etched reticles remove a failure point entirely from magnified optics.
View Quote
Definitely too fragile for serious use.....

Link Posted: 9/11/2019 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Unless you mean individual purchase. Which we have a guy here who used a UTG optic successfully in theater.

Regardless of combat or range, there is no argument that etched reticles remove a failure point entirely from magnified optics.
View Quote
A contract is hardly the defining characteristic of whether or not an optic is worthy of use in combat.

A wide variety of LPVO's at all ends of the pricing spectrum are in use overseas, as seen here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/R1pTigC.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Like I said, we had a guy here who had multiple confirms on a UTG. Is anyone actually arguing that an etched reticle doesn't completely remove a failure point from magnified optics? Answer that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, and there are plenty of reports of broken ACOGs.

So what?
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Like I said, we had a guy here who had multiple confirms on a UTG. Is anyone actually arguing that an etched reticle doesn't completely remove a failure point from magnified optics? Answer that.
View Quote
You can argue theory all day or you can look at what people actually use with good results.

I know how I happily spent my money.  Do you have a relevant review of your theoretical optic under your own actual use?
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Good reviews of guys happy with strike eagles on a 2 way range at a high skill level make your pedantic argument irrelevant as fuck.

Boatloads of Razors have been sold.

Same with PSTs.

Probably way more strike eagles based on cost.

I don't personally know anyone who has had one fail.  I personally had an ACOG fail.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
This thread has quite a few people making recommendations based on personal experience.  Which etched reticle LPVO with a bright center dot do you recommend?
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't know because I wouldn't buy a wire reticle LPVO. Are you arguing my statement that etched reticles remove the most likely failure point of traditional wire optics, or are you arguing emotions? If it's the latter, realize you're only validating your own choices with hostility, where as nothing I've stated is untrue.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a kahles, NF NXS 1-4 with the circle dot reticle and a zeiss victory varipoint 1.1-4.

The kahles is nuclear bright, which is awesome during the day, but in low light, or dusk the light bleeds into the rest of the reticle and washes the dot out which is a bummer to me.
The NF isn't super bright, but doesn't need it so much because of the reticle design.
Suprisingly, the optic that has hands down the best illum, which is a dot, is the ziess. It's daylight bright, and dims down so low that it's just the faintest of glow.

If I could have the Kahles glass and zoom in a FFP, the ziess illum system and and the NF tankiness with exposed MIL/MIL turrets, I'd be a very, very happy man.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Steiner T5Xi
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wouldn't know because I wouldn't buy a wire reticle LPVO. Are you arguing my statement that etched reticles remove the most likely failure point of traditional wire optics, or are you arguing emotions? If it's the latter, realize you're only validating your own choices with hostility, where as nothing I've stated is untrue.
View Quote
Read my question again above again.

Do you even own an etched reticle LPVO or are you just talking theory?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#13]
NX8 Guy here

I stick to nx8’s and tr24’s. Both nuclear bright.

I’d really like a 10oz 1-4 like the NX8 or tr24... but hey we can dream right???
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
NX8 Guy here

I’d really like a 10oz 1-4 like the NX8 or tr24... but hey we can dream right???
View Quote
I would love to try out an NX8.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Read my question again above again.

Do you even own an etched reticle LPVO or are you just talking theory?
View Quote
Circle back to my original response you quoted, where I clearly said etched reticles with bright center dots are limited. It's almost as if I offered a contrary counterpoint to my statement that wire reticles are weaker than etched.

I've had many LPVO's, but now the only one I have is an Accupower.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NX8 Guy here

Some people have an issue with it’s ‘eyebox’. I have no issue with it at 1x. Then again I learned cqb on an A4 with an ACOG so I’m pretty well set on adapting to ‘eyebox/relief’ issues. 8x it IS tight but I’m not doing any dynamic shooting with it in 8x so idc. I use mine real world FYI. On an sbr.

I use 1x for most anything combat related. I use 8x mostly for scouting and observation. Occasional to punch something but that is rare.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/R1pTigC.jpg
View Quote
I agree. People have ragged on Eotech unnecessarily. They work fine and have no issues.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a kahles, NF NXS 1-4 with the circle dot reticle and a zeiss victory varipoint 1.1-4.

The kahles is nuclear bright, which is awesome during the day, but in low light, or dusk the light bleeds into the rest of the reticle and washes the dot out which is a bummer to me.
The NF isn't super bright, but doesn't need it so much because of the reticle design.
Suprisingly, the optic that has hands down the best illum, which is a dot, is the ziess. It's daylight bright, and dims down so low that it's just the faintest of glow.

If I could have the Kahles glass and zoom in a FFP, the ziess illum system and and the NF tankiness with exposed MIL/MIL turrets, I'd be a very, very happy man.
View Quote
So...a civilian NX8? The glass isn't as crisp as Kahles, but I do notice less CA with the NX8 than I did my K16is, and at <10x, glass quality isn't really a defining factor for me, as long as it's pretty decent, which the NX8 certainly is.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Omg I'm in
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#20]
The viper pst gen 2 1-6, is a wonderful scope for the cash.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Omg I'm in
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Omg I'm in
Dude I know.

The current market trend is ‘how much magnification can we squeeze out of these’-I’m hoping for the ‘can we take what we currently have and make it smaller, lighter, and tougher’ market to come around
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone.  I thought my thread would fade away but some good discussion going on in here.  I shot a buddy's accupower a few days ago and it was NICE.  Now I'm considering the 1-6 accupoint.  Any reason I shouldn't consider that one?  ~$300 more ish but I can swallow that.

And yeah it does get away from my original DOT requirement but that triangle on the post fulfilled the same need.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think the burris xtr ii 1-5 is worth a mention.  They can be had for $400-450ish.
View Quote
If you can live with something other than just an illuminated dot, the Burris is a really solid option. Etched reticle, nuclear bright donut of death and can be had for right at $400 shipped if you shop around.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone.  I thought my thread would fade away but some good discussion going on in here.  I shot a buddy's accupower a few days ago and it was NICE.  Now I'm considering the 1-6 accupoint.  Any reason I shouldn't consider that one?  ~$300 more ish but I can swallow that.

And yeah it does get away from my original DOT requirement but that triangle on the post fulfilled the same need.
View Quote
I have a TR24 with the triangle on the post. Love it.  However, the post is thick and makes it difficult to adjust on the fly for elevation as it covers a lot of area directly beneath the target. The triangle being 12 MOA does allow you to adjust for elevation based on its size at 100yds though.  For torso sized targets under 200yds it is awesome!  Still love the heck outta mine.  For making a single, ragged hole beyond 100yds, not so much. Great for astigmatisms too... present or future.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have a TR24 with the triangle on the post. Love it.  However, the post is thick and makes it difficult to adjust on the fly for elevation as it covers a lot of area directly beneath the target. The triangle being 12 MOA does allow you to adjust for elevation based on its size at 100yds though.  For torso sized targets under 200yds it is awesome!  Still love the heck outta mine.  For making a single, ragged hole beyond 100yds, not so much. Great for astigmatisms too... present or future.
View Quote
Appreciate it.  I do have a slight astigmatism, and when I looked though my buddy's TR24 it was just so crisp and refreshing.  I think I have my sights set on a TR25 now.  Might consider one of the other non-post reticles.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#26]
The Swarovski Z8i is next level good.

My favorite LPVO of the many I've owned from a TR24 to a 1-4 Short Dot and everything in between.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you can live with something other than just an illuminated dot, the Burris is a really solid option. Etched reticle, nuclear bright donut of death and can be had for right at $400 shipped if you shop around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the burris xtr ii 1-5 is worth a mention.  They can be had for $400-450ish.
is the XTR II 1-8x an etched?
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Appreciate it.  I do have a slight astigmatism, and when I looked though my buddy's TR24 it was just so crisp and refreshing.  I think I have my sights set on a TR25 now.  Might consider one of the other non-post reticles.
View Quote
i have a couple TR24's and made the mistake of shooting my buddies TR25....its a nice scope all around....true 1x, durable, bright.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
NX8 Guy here

View Quote
I’ve been saying this for awhile. The NX8 is the same size as the old NXS 1-4. I’d love to see NF take another run at a 1-4X and see how small and light they could make it nowadays. That, on an SBR, would be ridiculously hot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’ve been saying this for awhile. The NX8 is the same size as the old NXS 1-4. I’d love to see NF take another run at a 1-4X and see how small and light they could make it nowadays. That, on an SBR, would be ridiculously hot.
View Quote
I like the size of the IOR Pitbull, but it's heavy and expensive, and supposedly only really usable at 1x and 4x... Midway's got them for ~$1000.

Link Posted: 9/19/2019 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#31]
^^^^^^^
The Pitbull is a great scope. Every bit as good as the glass on my M5xi, and daylight bright reticle. There is only 1X and 4X. Designed that way. I guess it's not more popular due to the price, and she is a bit portly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Late to the thread, but I was amused by the posts claiming that wire reticle scopes were not very good for use in combat.

I guess you need to tell that to all the guys that put their MK 4 Leupold scopes through hell and back without issue.

I also agree that etched reticles are a better choice, all other things being equal.

But it's quite a stretch to say that wire reticle scopes were not used extensively and successfully in combat for generations. I suspect that the wires are no more likely to break than lenses themselves or the internal erector assemblies.  Scopes, even those with wire reticles, when built to high quality control standards, are extremely durable.

FWIW, Leupold's current models with Firedot reticles use etched reticles but have a thin fiber optic tube running to the center dot.  The dot is actually the end of the fiber optics tube. That allows the diode to be mounted in the turret housing, enables the use of the motion activation circuitry and permits it to be made daylight bright.  I have several Firedot scopes and they are strong, durable and functional with incredible battery life left on 24/7.

The VX6-HD line has several good daylight bright Firedot reticle choices in the various models depending on magnification range.  And they tend to be lighter than most of the scopes with comparable feature sets.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
leupold mark ar 1.5-4 firedot is a $300 sleeper. lightest option too.
View Quote
THIS MAN SPEAKS THE TRUTH!
Leupold VX R Patrol with Firedot. Wish they made a 1-6 but it's no big loss.

I have 3 of these on my go to SBRs. They are BY FAR the lightest option, glass is amazing, and the firedot is crazy bright when it needs to be.

The RELLY nice part is the Custom Dial System turrets. I had each one of my rifles chronod, and Leupold made a custom turret for it out to 400.

These are 6.8SPC 11.5 and 12.5 rifles and I will not be shooting much past 300 anyway, but I did hit the 10in gong at 350 5 out of 6 times I tried it, so its spot on.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I like the size of the IOR Pitbull, but it's heavy and expensive, and supposedly only really usable at 1x and 4x... Midway's got them for ~$1000.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-trua4/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/88/321/rifleshooter_scope_comparison_lead_image__71298.1419283248.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-trua4/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/88/321/rifleshooter_scope_comparison_lead_image__71298.1419283248.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on
that thing is dope! until I saw the weight... jesus
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:27:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

that thing is dope! until I saw the weight... jesus
View Quote
Specs say 35mm tube and 32mm objective. Makes sense.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Late to the thread, but I was amused by the posts claiming that wire reticle scopes were not very good for use in combat.

I guess you need to tell that to all the guys that put their MK 4 Leupold scopes through hell and back without issue.

I also agree that etched reticles are a better choice, all other things being equal.

But it's quite a stretch to say that wire reticle scopes were not used extensively and successfully in combat for generations. I suspect that the wires are no more likely to break than lenses themselves or the internal erector assemblies.  Scopes, even those with wire reticles, when built to high quality control standards, are extremely durable.

FWIW, Leupold's current models with Firedot reticles use etched reticles but have a thin fiber optic tube running to the center dot.  The dot is actually the end of the fiber optics tube. That allows the diode to be mounted in the turret housing, enables the use of the motion activation circuitry and permits it to be made daylight bright.  I have several Firedot scopes and they are strong, durable and functional with incredible battery life left on 24/7.

The VX6-HD line has several good daylight bright Firedot reticle choices in the various models depending on magnification range.  And they tend to be lighter than most of the scopes with comparable feature sets.
View Quote
That's quite a stretch to disagree. I asked for examples of wire reticle low power variables getting tested military contracts. I never said no one has ever used one.

My point is, and has been, etched reticles are immensely tougher but fall behind in illumination. I don't know why that was apparently offensive to some, but it's not an opinion. Its physical fact.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I should have been more specific. I was referring to the 1-5. The 1-8 might be the same but I have no experience with that optic.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 1:27:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Edit, Sold out in an hour, they say another small batch is coming.

this may be worth looking at, $369 + free shipping(retail $899)
Zeiss CONQUEST V4 1-4x24 ZQAR Illum. Reticle (#62)

and Zeiss is also running a rebate that will get you a throw lever and other stuff.
https://zeiss.rebateaccess.com/promotion.php?p=89192

from what I read the illumination is daylight bright but not super bright.

I picked on up..because for $400 why not? Not sure where the conquests are made, I know at one time they were Meopta but I don't think they are anymore(looks like japan)

https://www.eurooptic.com/Zeiss-CONQUEST-V4-1-4x24-ZQAR-Illum-Reticle-62-Ext-Elevation-Turret-Locking-Sing.aspx?utm_source=Site+Subscribers&utm_campaign=10046951ae-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_08_22_01_51&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_dde3ccfa21-10046951ae-158873241
View Quote
I ordered one of these after they sold out so I had to wait for the second batch to ship. I got my scope in a week ago; waiting on a mount to come in before I can mount it and shoot it but my immediate observations are the glass clarity and eyebox is on par with a Steiner P4xi which is to say the glass clarity is great and eyebox is forgiving. Both have a full 180 degree turn to go from 1-4x which is a lot. Zeiss is like 0.2" shorter and 0.7 oz lighter which is to say the difference is academic but not noticeable in any practical sense.

The turrets are crisper and less mushy than the Steiner which is nice and the Zeiss is a zero-stop which is rather nice at this price range.

I personally prefer the reticle on the Zeiss by a large margin; it's very similar to the horseshoe-dot ACOG reticle so if you've used one of those you pretty much know what you're getting into. The catch (because there has to be one) is that the reticle does not get as bright as the Steiner. Nowhere near as bright. That's a little disappointing but it's very usable in twilight or lowlight hours.

Thanks for the rebate link I didn't know they had that. That free throw lever will come in handy I'm sure.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top