AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 231
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

God I love picitinny rails.
View Quote
We should invent something where you have to attach rails and then things to those rails.

And then everyone make their own design so there's no chance for accessories.

Then someone can standardize it so you don't have to attach rails to your rails to attach things.

Then everyone can standardize it so there is no standardization to attach things to your rails on your rails.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Mossyrocks:

We should invent something where you have to attach rails and then things to those rails.

Then someone can standardize it so you don't have to attach rails to your rails to attach things.

Then everyone can standardize it so there is no standardization to attach things to your rails on your rails.
View Quote
Wait... what?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By wissota4:

Wait... what?
View Quote
I think he's saying pic rails > dickmod || maglock
'cause if it aint broke, don't friggin' fix it! (That's the Prime Directive ...)

I have to say, I agree!
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tifosi:
'cause if it aint broke, don't friggin' fix it! (That's the Prime Directive ...)

I have to say, I agree!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Wait... what?

I have to say, I agree!
It has it's place, I like the Geissele MK4 handguard that has machined pic up front where it's needed.  But I can put Mlok grips or skins or whatever and keep it thin.

My point is we had standardization, then everyone made their own bolt on systems so keymod came out to standardize shit again.  But then everyone wanted their own standardized system (Mlok), and now there are 3 standardized systems.

Rant off...  
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
It has it's place, I like the Geissele MK4 handguard that has machined pic up front where it's needed.  But I can put Mlok grips or skins or whatever and keep it thin.

My point is we had standardization, then everyone made their own bolt on systems so keymod came out to standardize shit again.  But then everyone wanted their own standardized system (Mlok), and now there are 3 standardized systems.

Rant off...  
View All Quotes

Wait... what?

I have to say, I agree!

Rant off...  
Don't forget about squidmod!

Tig- I'm with you. Every rail I've ever owned has been 1913. I have played with keymod, had a moderator tell me they physically witnessed keymod accessories falling off.

Mlok seems more sturdy tho, so if I give one a try it'll be that
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I had Centurion Arms C4 quad railed uppers.  Sold them off for the cool new keymod crap.  What a mistake.. I'd give my left nut to go back to pic.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
I do agree the Mk4 rail is a nice compromise. I like the URX 3/3.1 for the same reason, but then again, they use their own propriety attachment points too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:28:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#11]
I do agree the Mk4 rail is a nice compromise. I like the URX 3/3.1 for the same reason, but then again, they use their own propriety attachment points too.
View All Quotes

What’s great about the mk4 is my URX panels fit perfectly.

So I sold the URX.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:10:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#12]

View Quote
That IS funny.

I'm going back to just taping crap real tight onto my handguards.

OK, maybe not.  But I did just drill a few more holes in some handguards and bolt on a rail to it.  No M lok needed.

And what nitwit would think it was practical to put the rail stuff on before you actually mount the FF rail.  That seems really dumb.  Squidmod.  LOL.  I think the rails are good, if you don't have to actually attach something to them then.....  Like I said, pulls out the roll and rips some tape off......

I mean the rubber grommets, c'mon.....  I mean, what if you fell really hard and then they just all scattered everywhere?  Boing boing boing....   that would be a sight.

I hear people complain about how sharp rails are. Maybe some are but I've been shooting my recce DD quad rails without anything on them for a while.  And they don't bother my hands a bit.  I don't ever wear gloves either.  They seem to have not overly sharp edges.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#13]
The grommets are like 5 attached, so they wouldn't fall out one at a time. The rail is only tightened by two or three screws, not too much effort to remove. I don't think people are buying troy rails (trx or alpha) to use them as a quad rail either. I have a couple and they work fine for their application.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#14]
The grommets are like 5 attached, so they wouldn't fall out one at a time. The rail is only tightened by two or three screws, not too much effort to remove. I don't think people are buying troy rails (trx or alpha) to use them as a quad rail either. I have a couple and they work fine for their application.
View Quote
the upside is you have all kinds of positions you can put stuff, eh?  I still don't understand how the rail attaches.  Are all the holes threaded?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JJREA:

the upside is you have all kinds of positions you can put stuff, eh?  I still don't understand how the rail attaches.  Are all the holes threaded?
View Quote
It comes with rail sections that screw to metal tabs you place on the inside of rail (could be done installed if you're good) and they can be installed at any angle the holes are, not just top, bottom, and left, right.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:18:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
Yeah the little rubber squid plugs

They do look light and comfy for sure. I’m also not sure how the attachments work but I would guess a shitty version of Dickmod or Mcock that attaches a pic rail section from underneath the squid holes. But that’s just my guess. #SquidMod
View All Quotes
And then don't they actually have little grommets that you could actually sit there and stick in any of the holes you want them in?  I mean, who wants to do that?

I do every once in a while see a troy rail on a US military gun.  Which I always thought is pretty wild.

However, they seem like they'd be light and comfy....  So I'm not necessarily against them.  I don't even know how the holes work though, with rail attachments.

They do look light and comfy for sure. I’m also not sure how the attachments work but I would guess a shitty version of Dickmod or Mcock that attaches a pic rail section from underneath the squid holes. But that’s just my guess. #SquidMod
One of my first accessories I ever bought was a Troy tube. They make these aluminum "backers" that you installed from the inside. They can be done without removing the rail depending on barrel and gas block config, but it's far easier to just remove it and drop the backer in.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:32:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#17]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
One of my first accessories I ever bought was a Troy tube. They make these aluminum "backers" that you installed from the inside. They can be done without removing the rail depending on barrel and gas block config, but it's far easier to just remove it and drop the backer in.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
And then don't they actually have little grommets that you could actually sit there and stick in any of the holes you want them in?  I mean, who wants to do that?

I do every once in a while see a troy rail on a US military gun.  Which I always thought is pretty wild.

However, they seem like they'd be light and comfy....  So I'm not necessarily against them.  I don't even know how the holes work though, with rail attachments.

But muh PicMod...

If I do go the way of the HSLD it’ll def be a Mlok G rail. But I do like those troys, minus the attachment method lol
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 4:13:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

#SQUIDMOD

I'm old. I like old shit.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/20180430_111957_1525814728303_001-537742.jpg
View Quote
What is the story with the carry handles being mounted one slot back? I've seen many pics of that set up. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:23:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By uniform64:

What is the story with the carry handles being mounted one slot back? I've seen many pics of that set up. Thanks
View Quote
I've heard it said that some armory racks will only work with the carry handle one slot back.  So they get stored that way and people just leave them.  I personally can't stand looking at it like that.  But after trying it with my cut carry handle I actually prefer the sight picture.   So there may be a practical reason to leave it that way.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By FilthyCasual:
I had Centurion Arms C4 quad railed uppers.  Sold them off for the cool new keymod crap.  What a mistake.. I'd give my left nut to go back to pic.
View Quote
I’m not giving up my  12” C4 for anything, though I’d like to try thinner rail covers. I’m using D&H(or whichever covers are issued with M4s)covers that my daughter gave me when she got back from Iraq.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 5:46:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ironhandjohn] [#22]
crap, my posting sear must be worn, as I doubled.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:40:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Super_Trouper] [#23]
Does anyone have any leads on a Colt 14.5" government profile Barrel w/ FSP? Can't seem to find one anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:01:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#24]
M4A1 when first issued in 95' without any SOPMOD accessories added as they were still being fielded.

In Jordan
Attachment Attached File

On Fort Campbell KY that summer.
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Super_Trouper:
Does anyone have any leads on a Colt 14.5" government profile Barrel w/ FSP? Can't seem to find one anywhere.
View Quote
Got one in the EE recently, both of mine actually. They pop up time to time.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
M4A1 when first issued in 95' without any SOPMOD accessories added as they were still being fielded.

In Jordan
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/Page_00_M4A1-539438.JPG

On Fort Campbell KY that summer.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/Page_02_M4A1-539442.JPG

CD
View Quote
Great pics you are posting lately.  Saw the other ones in the A2 forum too!!!  Are you feeling nostalgic?  Going through some old photo albums?  I really like seeing them. As I'm sure many others do too!
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 7:06:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mygrainman] [#27]
Mail lady brought me some worthy mags yesterday...

Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#28]
love those almost as much as I love my old black follower copper colored mags...
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:51:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tanodized] [#29]
Colt M4A1: 14.5" SOCOM Barrel w/ Forward Sling Swivel, Elcan SpecterDR SU-230, Insight ATPIAL-C, M3X & Dual Pressure Switch, LMT SOPMOD Stock, GPS Vertical Grip, CQD Rear Sling Mount, KAC M4 RAS & M4QD Flash Hider
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2018 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#30]
You're killing it dude. Great looking rifle.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

You're killing it dude. Great looking rifle.
View Quote
I just wish I could take pictures like that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Can I just send you my rifles to take pictures of them?
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah, I would say that's a particularly super good picture of a particularly super great gun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 4:34:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#34]

Great pics you are posting lately.  Saw the other ones in the A2 forum too!!!  Are you feeling nostalgic?  Going through some old photo albums?  I really like seeing them. As I'm sure many others do too!
View Quote
Yeap, was just home on leave and scanned some old photos.  Check these out.

Scotland
Dive training

CD
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
I have a 15 inch troy rail on one of my rifles. It's been on there long enough that I can't remember how the weight was before I put it on. It's not a light rifle, but it's not too heavy.

Mine came with 3 sections of pic rail that attach with some screws and a plate.  You have to take the rail off to mount them. For a while I just ran a TLR on the top rail for a light, now I have an Hl-X mounted to the bottom on a section of pic rail. Not the best set-up but it works. I know one or two companies make light mounts for scout and some streamlights.

I'm to cheap too get rid of it as it's a home defense rifle now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By schaffer:

I have a 15 inch troy rail on one of my rifles. It's been on there long enough that I can't remember how the weight was before I put it on. It's not a light rifle, but it's not too heavy.

Mine came with 3 sections of pic rail that attach with some screws and a plate.  You have to take the rail off to mount them. For a while I just ran a TLR on the top rail for a light, now I have an Hl-X mounted to the bottom on a section of pic rail. Not the best set-up but it works. I know one or two companies make light mounts for scout and some streamlights.

I'm to cheap too get rid of it as it's a home defense rifle now.
View Quote
I'm guessing in order to take the rail off you you just have to unscrew a few screws at the base of it, by the receiver, eh?  Not ideal compared to some methods but maybe not THAT bad.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:58:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: schaffer] [#38]

I'm guessing in order to take the rail off you you just have to unscrew a few screws at the base of it, by the receiver, eh?  Not ideal compared to some methods but maybe not THAT bad.....
View Quote
It has 3 tabs that lock under the barrel nut. Just loosen the 3 screws up and the tabs come loose. The rail twists a little and slides off. It locks on to the factory 6920 barrel nut, which is one of the reasons I went with it. I wasn't comfortable with taking my factory barrel nut off at the time. All I needed at the time was a punch and a dremel to install it. Punched the FSB pins out, cut the delta ring off, low pro gas block and threw the rail on.

I don't like taking it off because my front sight is mounted and it can change zero. I have it marked with some paint and my irons are co witnessed with my dot so it's not a huge issue. I also bridge the rail to the upper with my optic so that also eliminates some of the error.

It's not a bad rail but I would go with something else if I was doing it again. I think I put it on in 2012 and have been running it pretty much the same way for the last 6 years.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:06:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#39]
We need more pics in here!

Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#40]

https://imgur.com/oqGqGwa.gif
View Quote
My wang prolapsed a bit when i saw your TA01NSN WTT ad.
Looks like you made that happen pretty quick.

Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:20:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#41]

https://i.imgur.com/aUe4fkN.jpg
View Quote
You know me, man- I've got gun ADHD.

RO727 clone is next on the agenda and I'll stop fucking with this one. Maybe.

You've got a good line up there man. Now you need some more freedom in your life!
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:24:31 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Lol we all do and it sucks. Can't tell you how many times I've had literally the perfect setup that could not work any better for me, then just had to go and fuck with it. Countless times.

I liked my 727 but did not like that I used a 16" bbl. I even drilled my own FSB holes on that one. Definitely a fun light carbine and an awesome wall hanger, but I had to go and fuck that one up too. Lol (think I traded off the A2 receiver and traded the bbl for an M951 and some mags)
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#43]

You've got a good line up there man. Now you need some more freedom in your life!
View All Quotes

That top SOCOM barrel actually went to Stealth (has Colt 10.3 with FSB on it now) but I still need a crush washer to complete that upper. Thats literally it.

The block 2 is all spiffy now tho. Bottom gun is the same just minus the RMR (traded that for my new EO)
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#44]

https://imgur.com/oqGqGwa.gif
View Quote
Looks good.  Makes me wanna paint mines.  Nice EXPS.

View Quote
I jumped pretty quick to acquire that, just what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By prskiller:

Looks good.  Makes me wanna paint mines.  Nice EXPS.
View Quote
Haha thanks!
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#47]
That's a great looking rifle.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote
Agreed, I can see why you like it...

Thought you had done a little re-arranging when I first saw it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Agreed, I can see why you like it...

Thought you had done a little re-arranging when I first saw it.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 231
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top