User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 232
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 12:43:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Guntoter:

What selector would be appropriate for a Block 1?  Would the standard waffle stock work for Block 1? Thanks
View Quote
For a Blk I (95-02') would be a single left side short safety.  Correct stock would be a Colt N1 for that time frame.  Don't remember waffle stocks coming out until around 03'ish.

CD
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 1:31:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#2]
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok great info! Thanks for the tips. I think I have managed to locate a N1 stock(still ironing out the details), however as far as the short safety selector goes, I'm a little lost on where to find one as I have nothing to compare it to. I'll go back through this thread to see if any other posters are running the short selector to get an idea of what to look for. If you have any links to sites selling the ideal selector switch let me know, I'd like to get this as close to correct as I can.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
SEMI

AMBI
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By azfirearms:
Ok great info! Thanks for the tips. I think I have managed to locate a N1 stock(still ironing out the details), however as far as the short safety selector goes, I'm a little lost on where to find one as I have nothing to compare it to. I'll go back through this thread to see if any other posters are running the short selector to get an idea of what to look for. If you have any links to sites selling the ideal selector switch let me know, I'd like to get this as close to correct as I can.
SEMI

AMBI
What's meant by the short safety refers to the lever arm extending into the middle of the shaft.  See pic below:

Attachment Attached File

This is incorrect for a clone.  The mil selector levers do not extend so far into the center.  Below is a pic o a safety that more closely mimics the issued selector lever:

Attachment Attached File

I actually put a neutered select-fire selector lever into my M16A4 clone, which should be identical to the issued part.  I got the part from Brownells.  I believe it was made by Schmidt Tool Co.

Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:52:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#6]
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 2:15:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: azfirearms] [#7]
Ah got it. Looks clean not extending deep into the center. Hopefully they are all S marked in the cast. I am running the SS stamped hammer and trigger which I think is surplus schmitd tool as well so a matching selector would be rad. I'll browse the EE section to see if one pops up. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By azfirearms:
View Quote
A waffle stock is still acceptable if you prefer that. Just get the correct kind. I know this is a sopmod thread, but with the new selector and correct style stock..waffle or n1, you have a solid MWS m4 there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Figured you guys might like these. Very interesting setups.

Link Posted: 8/7/2019 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Yeah, my bad. Missed the "short" notation.

This is what you seek:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20190804-194711_Samsung_Internet-1042457.jpg

Edit:
DISCUSSION LINK HERE
View Quote
That is what I use.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I try to use select-fire safeties whenever possible. I make sure that I modify (remove center fin) them before installing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jrs93accord:

That is what I use.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/007_JPG-1045986.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76904/012_JPG-1045987.JPG

I try to use select-fire safeties whenever possible. I make sure that I modify (remove center fin) them before installing.
View Quote
Is that recent purchase? The ones I find are the new style with slightly longer lever.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Brownells has Colt FA safety's in Ambi or non.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:46:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#13]
I use these. I don’t want to pay for a Colt ambi even with dealer pricing

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-Semi-Auto-Safety-Selector-Lever-p/sp63000.htm
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wissota4:

Is that recent purchase? The ones I find are the new style with slightly longer lever.
View Quote
No. I have had it for a few years.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 10:05:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#16]
More pics. Even has the cook Colt safety selector

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:04:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Yeah, my bad. Missed the "short" notation.

This is what you seek:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20190804-194711_Samsung_Internet-1042457.jpg

Edit:
DISCUSSION LINK HERE
View Quote
Curious, for a clone, what would be the best method to XXXX out BURST on a lower? Punches or a deep engraving with aluminum black?
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 9:32:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wissota4] [#18]
Originally Posted By Kvjavs:

Curious, for a clone, what would be the best method to XXXX out BURST on a lower? Punches or a deep engraving with aluminum black?
View Quote
They're laser engraved. M4 and burst are crossed off and replaced with m4a1 and auto.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Kvjavs:

View Quote
Standard Army procedure is to punch XXXX over former selector mark and remark below.

CD
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

For a Blk I (95-02') would be a single left side short safety.  Correct stock would be a Colt N1 for that time frame.  Don't remember waffle stocks coming out until around 03'ish.

CD
View Quote
Do you know approximately when the ambi safety's first started showing up on issued rifles? I have a CAG clone build with the MRE rail and need to decide if an ambi safety is appropriate. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By J_MONEY:

Do you know approximately when the ambi safety's first started showing up on issued rifles? I have a CAG clone build with the MRE rail and need to decide if an ambi safety is appropriate. Thanks!
View Quote
That I don't know.  Don't remember them on any of our guns prior to me retiring in 08' however.

CD
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD
I am fairly certain it is a newer thing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

I would say your build predates the ambi selector being common.
View Quote
Yeah that seems to be the consensus
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Forgive me if I’m blundering here, is it appropriate to ask what the going rate in a clone relevant part is here?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DC2FA5:
Forgive me if I’m blundering here, is it appropriate to ask what the going rate in a clone relevant part is here?
View Quote
What are you looking for?
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:28:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DC2FA5] [#27]
I’m trying to assess a fair selling price for a property marked Colt M4A1 lower in the EE. Unfired takeoff, complete.

ETA, the only place I can find them listed is Charlie’s, and we all know that’s ‘too damn high’ as the prophet once said.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:47:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#29]
Originally Posted By DC2FA5:
I’m trying to assess a fair selling price for a property marked Colt M4A1 lower in the EE. Unfired takeoff, complete.

ETA, the only place I can find them listed is Charlie’s, and we all know that’s ‘too damn high’ as the prophet once said.
View Quote
I went with the PSA M4A1. I didn’t want to spend $500 on a lower. I managed to scrounge up all Colt LOK and extension on the EE and arms unlimited
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DoctorLove:

I went with the PSA M4A1. I didn’t want to spend $500 on a lower. I managed to scrounge up all Colt LOK and extension on the EE and arms unlimited
View Quote
Thats what I did, everything in my build is Colt minus the Aero Precision lower. Now i feel at some point I may swap it out for a Colt M4a1 lower.
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Learning a lot here.  My cage code colt I'm building came with p&s furniture on it, would having a p&s ras rail be a better way to go vs the one from kac?
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#35]

So i definitely got one with the flat face... but i think it has 3 detent positions so it will not function properly with a knights two stage semi auto trigger will it?

If this is indeed not what i need, any advice on where to order a correct flat faced selector for my Colt M4 block 1 build?
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#37]
So I stumbled upon these two images today.  This carbine belonged to a USMC Det 1 attachment and now belongs to the USMC Museum where it will go on display.  Anyone have any info on it by chance?  The clone bug hit me on this one and now I must build one!  Everything I can pretty much make out.  However, does it appear to have a 12.5" barrel with a Surefire can of some sort?  Going to start gathering the parts!!

Link Posted: 8/11/2019 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

How the heck did you get paint in the detent channel? Or is that dirt?
View Quote
Appears to be dirt, arrived in the salty state you see it in
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By LongTrang:
So I stumbled upon these two images today.  This carbine belonged to a USMC Det 1 attachment and now belongs to the USMC Museum where it will go on display.  Anyone have any info on it by chance?  The clone bug hit me on this one and now I must build one!  Everything I can pretty much make out.  However, does it appear to have a 12.5" barrel with a Surefire can of some sort?  Going to start gathering the parts!!

https://i.imgur.com/FcOQCE6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dbtSK5t.jpg
View Quote
Appears to be a standard M4/M4A1 (14.5” barrel) with Surefire’s old M4FA or FA556AR suppressors that mount further back on the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:23:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Mb121:
Appears to be a standard M4/M4A1 (14.5” barrel) with Surefire’s old M4FA or FA556AR suppressors that mount further back on the barrel.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mb121:

https://i.imgur.com/FcOQCE6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/dbtSK5t.jpg
Oh man.... how hard is it going to be to track that combo down?  It has to be out there somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Oh man.... how hard is it going to be to track that combo down?  It has to be out there somewhere.
View Quote
Haven’t seen those sold for a while or the 5.56mm mounts, closest you might find is some of the old FA556-212 models that are offered from time to time due to over runs.  Actual model that you’re looking for you will more than likely be buying on the secondary market and condition will vary.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 9:57:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#42]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Like so?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/lru54ii-1051231.jpg

Eta: pic borrowed from an EE ad.
View Quote
Yes, that is the closed-tine mount for the FA556-212.  That model was being sold at the same time frame or around it as the previously listed models.  The reflex models have not been sold for sometime new that I have seen, though I have recently seen the FA556-212 model being sold new.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 1:32:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Well I tracked down a FA556AR for sale on the buds website.  Need to locate a mount now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Well I tracked down a FA556AR for sale on the buds website.  Need to locate a mount now.
View Quote
That’s pretty surprising, I wonder if it’s a contract over run or new old stock that they have had around for a while.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
Not sure if this is what you're looking for. Got this in my email today.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/SureFire-Fast-Attach-AR15-M4-Rifle-Suppressor-p/fa556-212.htm
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File
My modern 1.5.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Thats not a clone.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 232
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top