Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 231
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Well here's my teaser for Monday when the qd latch arrives... Does anyone have the top half of a RIS for sale by chance?

Link Posted: 9/28/2019 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Going for it and painting the Colt.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Who has the cheapest price on the Colt M4A1 SOCOM 14.5" & 16.0" Barrel?
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 4:25:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#9]
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 6:32:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn] [#11]
203 barrel mount came today, nice surprise.  I'm so glad I ordered this 203 receiver from AU when I did.  I haven't efiled a form 1 in years, so not sure on the process after 41F but I really want a barrel and 37's are nohwere to be seen.  This thing is coming together nicely.  Does anyone have a spare RIS upper portion they'd sell?  I want to retire this RAS back to the spare parts bin and get a RIS on it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2019 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#12]
So this safety selector is getting the best of me. I got a Colt m16a1 selector and cut the center fin off but it doesnt have the pointer arrow/recess cut into the ejection port side its just flat. I can find flat faced selectors with the arrow notch on the ejection port side but they're not listed as Colt just "mil-spec" with an itar restricted notice and dont have the S  marking on the selector lever. Should the block 1 clone correct flat faced selectors have the arrow notch on the port side and/or the S marking on the lever? Not sure which is correct

Also thinking the 3rd detend position would be hard to prove isnt for full auto if it was in question in a situation where it could not be fired? So hoping to find out what details are correct and order a 2 detent semi auto selector
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:22:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn] [#13]
Originally Posted By 6H05T:
So this safety selector is getting the best of me. I got a Colt m16a1 selector and cut the center fin off but it doesnt have the pointer arrow/recess cut into the ejection port side its just flat. I can find flat faced selectors with the arrow notch on the ejection port side but they're not listed as Colt just "mil-spec" with an itar restricted notice and dont have the S  marking on the selector lever. Should the block 1 clone correct flat faced selectors have the arrow notch on the port side and/or the S marking on the lever? Not sure which is correct

Also thinking the 3rd detend position would be hard to prove isnt for full auto if it was in question in a situation where it could not be fired? So hoping to find out what details are correct and order a 2 detent semi auto selector
View Quote
I kind of got tripped up on selectors as well.  At first I was running a M16A1 selector like you which is not marked on the right side.  Then I asked a buddy to take a look in his armory on their M4A1's and they all had a notch on the right side.  You can see some iterations here if you scroll through a couple pics:  https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=3

It seems the consensus is that the full-auto M4A1's had a notch on the right side whereas Colt continued to ship their commercial semi-auto rifles with the non marked (no tick) selector.

I finally settled on swapping out the KAC ambi from my mk12 as I found that posted in this documents pages 12 and 21 from 2006: http://cl.ly/0t212k3k3k0Y

Someone else I'm sure has a way more solid answer but hopefully that helps you get past where you are.

As for the 3rd position.  You don't need live fire to prove/disprove a rifle is designed to be full auto.  Besides the obvious lack of components, you can cycle the bolt manually to see if the hammer falls with the trigger held rearward. I wouldn't sweat a 3rd position selector that points to the word AUTO on a receiver so long as you don't have the numerous other components required to convert to FA.  Don't take my word for it, you can look around and interpret that to your comfort level, just don't send a letter. :)
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
What a pic! Just casually drops it haha
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By rcfallen:

View Quote
When the big guy with an accent and no sense of humor drops his weapon off for maintenance...
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I wouldn't want the random M67 Fragmentation Grenade on my workbench.  But that's just me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Ex11A:

I wouldn't want the random M67 Fragmentation Grenade on my workbench.  But that's just me.
View Quote
They only come out for pictures.  All grenades stay in the safe with my ready weapons.

CD
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

They only come out for pictures.  All grenades stay in the safe with my ready weapons.

CD
View Quote
Wish I had grenades to take pictures with!    I had 2 in my hootch but never took a picture with them. Wish I had now.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By imdBman:
Wish I had grenades to take pictures with!    I had 2 in my hootch but never took a picture with them. Wish I had now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By imdBman:

CD
Last deployment each of our trucks had a case of frag and pyro under the front seats. Under the back seats was for Rip Its.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I wrote F you with sharpie on all my frags.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DoctorLove:
I wrote F you with sharpie on all my frags.
View Quote
I drew smiley faces.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 10:46:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#22]
Originally Posted By DStepec:
I kind of got tripped up on selectors as well.  At first I was running a M16A1 selector like you which is not marked on the right side.  Then I asked a buddy to take a look in his armory on their M4A1's and they all had a notch on the right side.  You can see some iterations here if you scroll through a couple pics:  https://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=3

It seems the consensus is that the full-auto M4A1's had a notch on the right side whereas Colt continued to ship their commercial semi-auto rifles with the non marked (no tick) selector.
View Quote
That's correct, every military rifle that I've ever seen (since 2000) with a non-ambi selector has the notch on the right side.  Here's the correct selector from Brownells - you can see the notch in one of the product views:

M16 Full Auto Safety Selector

It's the same one Colt uses, but a heck of a lot cheaper.

This is the selector on my issued Colt M4 from my last unit:

Attachment Attached File

This is an FN M16A2 - kind of strange looking, like the face of the selector was ground down flush with the receiver.  Both the FN A2s that I looked at that day were the same:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
Markings are consistent with a saw cut.
View Quote
Yeah, I was thinking that, but I was trying to imagine how that would have been done. I guess a band saw chopping up the rod before they notched it and attached the lever to the other end of it?  Pretty rough...
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 11:36:32 PM EDT
[#25]
My fucking Peq2A died.

Sad. Face.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 4:06:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

That's correct, every military rifle that I've ever seen (since 2000) with a non-ambi selector has the notch on the right side.  Here's the correct selector from Brownells - you can see the notch in one of the product views:

M16 Full Auto Safety Selector

It's the same one Colt uses, but a heck of a lot cheaper.

This is the selector on my issued Colt M4 from my last unit:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Colt_M4_Selector_JPG-1110694.JPG

This is an FN M16A2 - kind of strange looking, like the face of the selector was ground down flush with the receiver.  Both the FN A2s that I looked at that day were the same:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/FN_M16A2_Selector_JPG-1110695.JPG
View Quote
https://outdoorsportsusa.com/AR-Mil-Spec-Safety-Selector-Standard-Lever

I had ordered that one before seeing you post, it appears to have a notch but ill find out when it shows up. Does it need the S on the top side of the lever to be correct? If so i guess ill order the one from brownells and cut the fin off.... the one in the mail is my third attempt at finding the correct one lol

Also, what is the correct trigger for these builds? Standard Colt G.I. ?
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 4:31:52 AM EDT
[#27]

I had ordered that one before seeing you post, it appears to have a notch but ill find out when it shows up. Does it need the S on the top side of the lever to be correct? If so i guess ill order the one from brownells and cut the fin off.... the one in the mail is my third attempt at finding the correct one lol

View Quote
Correct triggers would be either USGI or Geissele SSA/SSF.

CD
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 6:38:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Correct triggers would be either USGI or Geissele SSA/SSF.

CD
View Quote
Thank you sir. I've got a ssa-e in my block II which i quite like so I'll give a ssa a go
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 7:12:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#29]
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
You don't have to have an "S".
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
If that selector has a notch and the short lever as shown in the product photo, that's a great option.  The couple extra bucks is worth it, in my opinion, to not have to bother with cutting off the fin.  Some notched selectors (like BCM's latest version) have a different style of notch - more like a straight line - but that only matters if you're a little obsessive like me.  Please post photos when it arrives.

Originally Posted By wissota4:
You don't have to have an "S".
View Quote
Agreed.  The "S" has been said to indicate that it was made by Schmid Tool, and/or the "Safe" position (and I think it's only on Schmid Tool selectors made for Colt and other brands).  It's really not even noticeable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

If that selector has a notch and the short lever as shown in the product photo, that's a great option.  The couple extra bucks is worth it, in my opinion, to not have to bother with cutting off the fin.  Some notched selectors (like BCM's latest version) have a different style of notch - more like a straight line - but that only matters if you're a little obsessive like me.  Please post photos when it arrives.

Agreed.  The "S" has been said to indicate that it was made by Schmid Tool, and/or the "Safe" position (and I think it's only on Schmid Tool selectors made for Colt and other brands).  It's really not even noticeable.
View Quote
I'm the same way man lol! Glad I'm not the only one who is OCD about selectors.
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By CrazyWhiteGuy:
My fucking Peq2A died.

Sad. Face.
View Quote
Very sad face
Link Posted: 10/3/2019 12:54:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stukas87] [#35]
Clone of my last issued gun and why I set it up that way...

Jeff Gurwitch Build 2: SOPMOD II SF Deployment Clone Tactical AR-15 Carbine Build!
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#37]
My fucking Peq2A died.

Sad. Face.
View Quote
@crazywhiteguy what are you going to do with it now?? 🤔
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:
My fucking Peq2A died.

Sad. Face.
Replace it with a 4 or a 15 I guess
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 6:35:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Drug my SOPMOD “clone” out yesterday.  Felt weird going to the range without an SBR or can......  As usual the 921HB barrel shot great.  I kinda forgot how much fun this rifle was.

Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Woah, old school Thermold mag in a Block II!  I have three of those stashed away somewhere - I think someone gave them to me about 20 years ago after I went into the Army.  I don't remember if they were the original polymer 5.56 mag, but they were certainly one of the earliest that were widely available.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#41]
does anyone have the standard GI barrel 203 barrel clamp for 20'' barrel ?
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#42]
does anyone have the standard GI barrel 203 barrel clamp for 20'' barrel ?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#43]
My fucking Peq2A died.

Sad. Face.
View Quote
IM Inbound
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:54:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6H05T] [#44]

Do i need a Colt a2 delta ring between the ras and upper? Barrel finally arrived so just test fitting and came to the realization that something looks wrong..

And is this safety selector close to legit or another swing and a miss?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn] [#45]

Do i need a Colt delta ring between the ras and upper? Barrel finally arrived so just test fitting and came to the realization that something looks wrong..

And is this safety selector close to legit or another swing and a miss?
View Quote
You're missing 3 components: 1) delta ring 2) weld spring 3) snap ring

They have to be installed prior to the barrel nut being threaded onto the receiver.  They can be installed from the breech end, you do not have to remove the FSB like I see all the time on threads.

Also, I assume since you just got the barrel you just threaded that KAC M4QD on the muzzle end and it's not torqued down?  If not, it's not clocked properly, so make sure you use shims to do that once you're ready.

Build looks great though, keep going!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By DStepec:

You're missing 3 components: 1) delta ring 2) weld spring 3) snap ring

They have to be installed prior to the barrel nut being threaded onto the receiver.  They can be installed from the breech end, you do not have to remove the FSB like I see all the time on threads.

Also, I assume since you just got the barrel you just threaded that KAC M4QD on the muzzle end and it's not torqued down?  If not, it's not clocked properly, so make sure you use shims to do that once you're ready.

Build looks great though, keep going!!
View Quote
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-amp-handguard-parts/handguard-amp-rail-hardware/handguard-rings/ar-15-delta-ring-assembly-aluminum-black-prod26509.aspx

Is this what i need linked above? Thank you so much for the help :D

The flash hider was just loosely put on, i wanted to see how it'll look with the Adco spacer. It'll be timed, pinned and welded by better hands than mine at the shop i take my builds to for assembly (i know i should be brave but I've sunk a lot of time and money into my builds and trust them to put it together the right way, i break enough things working on my cars )
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#48]

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-amp-handguard-parts/handguard-amp-rail-hardware/handguard-rings/ar-15-delta-ring-assembly-aluminum-black-prod26509.aspx

The flash hider was just loosely put on, i wanted to see how it'll look with the Adco spacer. It'll be timed, pinned and welded by better hands than mine at the shop i take my builds to for assembly (i know i should be brave but I've sunk a lot of time and money into my builds and trust them to put it together the right way, i break enough things working on my cars )
View Quote
Yup that's what you need.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
Yes sir, that is the 'assembly' meaning it contains all 3 pieces you need.  If you want the parts to be Colt branded like that link, you may be able to find a slightly (couple bucks) better price elsewhere, and if you're not specifically seeking Colt branding, you could get what you need at less than half of that cost, BCM comes to mind.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 2:51:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#50]
Page / 231
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top