Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 231
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:28:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DStepec:
No work means a great time for spring cleaning and I was able to cobble this together with random box finds at the house.

Upper: Colt raised C / raised cardinal, Colt BCG

Barrel: Colt 14.5” barrel with KAC M4QD, ADCO spacer p/w’d. The spacer is amazing by the way and this setup still allows an M9 bayonet to be fixed securely, for any future people wondering that.

Rail: KAC RAS / VFG

Sights: Aimpoint M68 w/ QRP mount, Matech BUIS

Lower: Colt ‘M4 CARBINE’ lower w/4 pos tube, H buffer, Colt FCG, grip.

I took the N1 stock off my 727, and the SOPMOD off my Mk18 to try but for the life of me cannot decide which direction to go for this build.  The SOPMOD is way more balanced even with no junk hanging off the rail.  At most I will add an M3x.  The N1 looks so skinny with the girthy RAS. I guess I could convince myself to toss an M3x on and then have the SOPMOD for batt storage like I do on the 18?  Decisions, decisions, okay back to job hunting!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48637127218_62af1950b5.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48637621482_f618a1fc42.jpg
View Quote
As someone who just switched out the waffle stock for a SOPMOD Gen 1, I would recommend the SOPMOD.  Far better stock, easier to shoot with and the nice rubber butt pad is awesome.  The storage capability is a plus also.  And they look great on a SOPMOD clone.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:40:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GHOS7] [#2]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

John Masen Recoil Pad
View Quote
You the man Tig
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:40:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm about to get a brand new eotech exps3-0. I traded my TA31RCO for it along with some cash. I didn't like the eye relief. This will be my first eotech ever and I've never had experience with it. I'll be putting it on my Block 1 so I'm guessing it'll be a 1.5?? I don't know how to post pics on here it's been awhile.

Lower: colt m4 carbine marked. Got that sucker while brownells had it on sale I also have a geissele ssa trigger installed with a 1st gen b5 sopmod.

Upper: C and keyhole forge markings. C marked bcg. C marked barrel. Kac ras and broom stick. Pinned and welded extended a2.

As soon as I get the eotech I'll post the rifle once I figure out how to post on here. What are y'alls experience with the exps3-0?
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 3:36:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Gonzaar24:
I'm about to get a brand new eotech exps3-0. I traded my TA31RCO for it along with some cash. I didn't like the eye relief. This will be my first eotech ever and I've never had experience with it. I'll be putting it on my Block 1 so I'm guessing it'll be a 1.5?? I don't know how to post pics on here it's been awhile.

Lower: colt m4 carbine marked. Got that sucker while brownells had it on sale I also have a geissele ssa trigger installed with a 1st gen b5 sopmod.

Upper: C and keyhole forge markings. C marked bcg. C marked barrel. Kac ras and broom stick. Pinned and welded extended a2.

As soon as I get the eotech I'll post the rifle once I figure out how to post on here. What are y'alls experience with the exps3-0?
View Quote
The EXPS3-0 is my preferred model eotech. The only thing I don’t care for is the auto off feature
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By runguns:

The EXPS3-0 is my preferred model eotech. The only thing I don’t care for is the auto off feature
View Quote
Yeah that sucks. I always like having my red dot on at all times. When I was in the military we had comp m2s on our m4s and I remember the armory telling us to turn them off when we turn them in. I told them it's better to keep them on and that the battery life will probably last longer than their military career.
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Guntoter:

As someone who just switched out the waffle stock for a SOPMOD Gen 1, I would recommend the SOPMOD.  Far better stock, easier to shoot with and the nice rubber butt pad is awesome.  The storage capability is a plus also.  And they look great on a SOPMOD clone.
View Quote
PA has the B5 Gen 1 on sale for $80 so I snagged one last night! My Mk18 is my go to take everywhere gets shot all the time gun and I wouldn’t change out the sopmod for nothing, plus you’re right it just really fits that gun.... thanks!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
@DStepec That rifle looks awesome. Well done.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Yeah that sucks. I always like having my red dot on at all times. When I was in the military we had comp m2s on our m4s and I remember the armory telling us to turn them off when we turn them in. I told them it's better to keep them on and that the battery life will probably last longer than their military career.
View Quote
Thats what I like about the vortex holo; you could turn off the auto off feature and let the battery run down.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 12:46:19 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote
The battery will leak and corrode everything before it dies... So you still have to change it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 9:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HD2006] [#10]

Link Posted: 8/30/2019 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Aero M4 lower, Colt 6921 upper w/ pinned extended flash hider.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Impressive.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By azfirearms:
@DStepec That rifle looks awesome. Well done.
View Quote
Thanks! I just remembered I have an SBS’ed 870 police magnum that sits around doing nothing. Hmmmmmmm....
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 6:28:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gonzaar24] [#15]
http://imgur.com/a/keWUQNN

Eta: I don't know if you guys can see the pic. My phone isn't showing anything
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#17]
i want to run nightforce scope rings, what height for this ?

Link Posted: 9/3/2019 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#18]
How did you manage to make it show on the forum? I couldn't do it unless I'm leaving something simple out. And yes I need to change to trigger guard out
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#19]

How did you manage to make it show on the forum? I couldn't do it unless I'm leaving something simple out. And yes I need to change to trigger guard out
View Quote
Pay for a membership and you can upload images through the forum.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MNRidesHonda:
https://i.imgur.com/V6a9Gwb.jpg
View Quote
Awesome weapon and shirt.
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Well done sir. Throw a couple of WMX200s and ATPIALs in there and I'd say you are close to perfection.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 3:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Timbo] [#23]
Hopefully the clone gods don't frown upon my plebe ass.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:
I love that tiger stripe and those headbands.  Straight outta 'Nam.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
and full color shoulder patches.

CD
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 1:39:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

CD
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

CD
5SFG embracing their roots, the Joe on the deck is 502nd Inf,, my former Regt, so this is probably a public show at Ft Campbell.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#29]
That QRP mount in the bottom pic is legit first version. Called the Rail Grabber back in the day. I actually have an Army TM that depicts this mount as part of the M68 system. I used to have one as well. The tapered one is the second gen QRP.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 6:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#30]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By eodsix:
That QRP mount in the bottom pic is legit first version. Called the Rail Grabber back in the day. I actually have an Army TM that depicts this mount as part of the M68 system. I used to have one as well. The tapered one is the second gen QRP.
View Quote
Nifty. I've never seen that type of QRP mount before.
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Make_Mine_Moxie:
Nifty. I've never seen that type of QRP mount before.
View Quote
For your information.  This is the cover for Change 1 of the first TM for the the M68 Reflex sight dated 1997.  I think I may have gotten my first M68 in 1996.

Turns out I had two M68s with the first version of the QRP. These are scans of actual photos I took of them in the mid 1990's.  I reckon now these could be considered Retro.

One on my M16A2

and one on my first M4

Link Posted: 9/21/2019 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#36]
My first clone rifle, Colt factory gun, picked up a colt pinned and welded 14.5 for it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey Everyone! So I am new to the forums but have been following this thread for awhile now. So I just recently purchased my second LE6920 (newer 2018 version) because I wanted the correct "Property of US Gov" stamp for clone reasons. My old clone I started was prior to Colt releasing their 2018 model so it only had the "M4A1 Carbine" stamp. On that rifle I ended up getting a 14.5" Colt SOCOM Barrel off Brownells years ago and I sent it in to ADCO to have the extended A2X flash hider pinned on. I also purchased a new LMT SOPMOD stock that I got a deal on at the time.

Long story short, after receiving my newer 6920, I noticed a few differences. First difference is the newer 13629 cage code that Colt now puts on their uppers and barrels instead of the "C". My older 6920 still has the "C" stamps. I also noticed the bolt carrier on the newer rifle has a nice chrome lined ring on the top that's very visible or appears thicker compared to my old one. The bolt carrier "C" stamp on my newer rifle appears to be pin punched vs stamped on older rifle. I noticed the H2 buffer in newer rifle has a copper spring that's slightly longer compared to old one. Also, I must have an older KAC rail on older rifle because the font appears to be more of a grayish color compared to white.

My question is, for clone reasons, should I keep the upper/barrel from old rifle with "C" stamp or keep the newer "13629" cage code markings? Or does it even matter? Same question goes to the bolt carrier and H2 buffer? What's the difference in springs and which should I keep?
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 5:00:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWickMik] [#38]
Refer to the pics...

New barrel on left, older barrel on right

Newer upper with 13629 cage code

Older Upper with "C"

Newer noticeable chrome lined bolt carrier on left, older on right

Older stamped "C" on top, newer pin punched "C" on bottom

Newer "MPC" markings on left, older on right

Newer copper/longer H2 buffer on left, older on right

Older KAC rail on left (grayish font color), newer (whiter font) on right

Same front sight post markings, both have "F" on other side
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 7:42:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn] [#39]
A lot to digest TheWickMik. What are you trying to build/accomplish? First thing to keep in mind is that you’ll never be able to FULLY clone an issued service rifle. What you need to decide is what you’re after and to what degree of ‘correctness’ you want to go. That said, some people will go down to the forge marks (keyhole, AF, split A, cardinal, raised C, pressed C, etc). None of the cage code marked stuff applies to block 1. That all came WAY after the block 1. Your pin and welded 14.5” C marked barrel will be more appropriate than the newer cage marked barrel that has the goofy extended flash hider on it.

Until you start getting some direction, leave those 2 rifles exactly as you received them, don’t mix match anything yet.

So, do you know what you’re after yet?

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me an email and I can help you get started although there’s a billion threads of resources and a million better experts than myself, I can help you get off on the right foot.

Also, when you’re ready to sell that M4A1 Carbine lower to help fund the build, you let me know. :)
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 10:09:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCState85] [#40]
So how does this fit into the whole SOPMOD theme?  I know Recon isn't part of SOCOM, so they don't utilize the SOPMOD program entirely, but are any SOCOM units utilizing these Ergo extensions, or is it just some of the recon guys?

Also, any word if these are personal purchase or unit purchased?  If they're unit purchased, why not fork over the extra $150 and get the tried & true, free-floated DD RIS II's?  I know the Corps is poor, but damn.

Additionally, one of the things I disliked most about my M4 in the service was how short the KAC rails were.  As I'm doing a standard-issue/SOPMOD clone, would the cloning deities smite me for adding these ergo rails?  At the end of the day, I do actually like to use my clone rifles for shooting and stuff, so the more ergonomic they are, the better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TheWickMik:
Refer to the pics...

https://i.imgur.com/l95JfrC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ARy1Krc.jpg

New barrel on left, older barrel on right
https://i.imgur.com/dj9ihsg.jpg

Newer upper with 13629 cage code
https://i.imgur.com/k69KiO2.jpg

Older Upper with "C"
https://i.imgur.com/0BMp8cm.jpg

Newer noticeable chrome lined bolt carrier on left, older on right
https://i.imgur.com/vl6AuKy.jpg

Older stamped "C" on top, newer pin punched "C" on bottom
https://i.imgur.com/5YqGRiE.jpg

Newer "MPC" markings on left, older on right
https://i.imgur.com/y6vtU4C.jpg

Newer copper/longer H2 buffer on left, older on right
https://i.imgur.com/jp9XCF9.jpg

Older KAC rail on left (grayish font color), newer (whiter font) on right
https://i.imgur.com/ZGwEK70.jpg

Same front sight post markings, both have "F" on other side
https://i.imgur.com/mx069ti.jpg
View Quote
As stated depends on what you want to build.  However, you're over thinking it unless you want a early version of the a Block I.  Your 2018 would be correct for a current M4A1.  I've used all those parts in Block II builds except for the KAC RAS.  Parts wear out and need replacement with the next generation of parts or whatever is in the Army's supply system.

CD
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By NCState85:

So how does this fit into the whole SOPMOD theme?  I know Recon isn't part of SOCOM, so they don't utilize the SOPMOD program entirely, but are any SOCOM units utilizing these Ergo extensions, or is it just some of the recon guys?

Also, any word if these are personal purchase or unit purchased?  If they're unit purchased, why not fork over the extra $150 and get the tried & true, free-floated DD RIS II's?  I know the Corps is poor, but damn.

Additionally, one of the things I disliked most about my M4 in the service was how short the KAC rails were.  As I'm doing a standard-issue/SOPMOD clone, would the cloning deities smite me for adding these ergo rails?  At the end of the day, I do actually like to use my clone rifles for shooting and stuff, so the more ergonomic they are, the better.
View Quote
There are AF personnel who fall under SOCOM using Ergo rail extensions, as well. Sometimes it can be easier to get approval to bolt something on to an existing gun (like an Ergo extension)  than to it is to get approval or justification to swap out handguards.

You and I can look at it and laugh at how silly that is from the outside, but institutional bureaucracy can be a huge obstacle. Now as to whether all or some bolt on parts are "clone correct," that all depends on what you are building. Ergo extensions are not part of the SOPMOD package, if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#43]
There are AF personnel who fall under SOCOM using Ergo rail extensions, as well. Sometimes it can be easier to get approval to bolt something on to an existing gun (like an Ergo extension)  than to it is to get approval or justification to swap out handguards.

You and I can look at it and laugh at how silly that is from the outside, but institutional bureaucracy can be a huge obstacle. Now as to whether all or some bolt on parts are "clone correct," that all depends on what you are building. Ergo extensions are not part of the SOPMOD package, if that matters to you.
View Quote
Were these used on standard M4's or M4A1's? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By uniform64:

Were these used on standard M4's or M4A1's? Thanks
View Quote
The ones I saw were used on standard M4s, with burst instead of auto. The unit wasn't scheduled to get A1s anytime soon, so they were making the most of what they had. This was within the last 6 months.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#45]
The ones I saw were used on standard M4s, with burst instead of auto. The unit wasn't scheduled to get A1s anytime soon, so they were making the most of what they had. This was within the last 6 months.
View Quote
Thank you Sir. Good info.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DStepec:
A lot to digest TheWickMik. What are you trying to build/accomplish? First thing to keep in mind is that you’ll never be able to FULLY clone an issued service rifle. What you need to decide is what you’re after and to what degree of ‘correctness’ you want to go. That said, some people will go down to the forge marks (keyhole, AF, split A, cardinal, raised C, pressed C, etc). None of the cage code marked stuff applies to block 1. That all came WAY after the block 1. Your pin and welded 14.5” C marked barrel will be more appropriate than the newer cage marked barrel that has the goofy extended flash hider on it.

Until you start getting some direction, leave those 2 rifles exactly as you received them, don’t mix match anything yet.

So, do you know what you’re after yet?

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me an email and I can help you get started although there’s a billion threads of resources and a million better experts than myself, I can help you get off on the right foot.

Also, when you’re ready to sell that M4A1 Carbine lower to help fund the build, you let me know. :)
View Quote
Yeah, I'm looking to build a more modern block 1.5 M4A1 which would make my 2018 more accurate with the cage code(s) then. That goofy flash hider is the first thing that's going, I didn't care for it the moment I saw it. Leaning towards a Surefire SF3P or standard A2 with the KAC spacer from ADCO. For red dots I'm looking at the smaller EXPS3 or 552, not sure yet. Unsure of light as well. Would you happen to know if there is a difference in the H2 buffer springs as to why the newer one is slightly longer than the other and a different color?
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#47]

As stated depends on what you want to build.  However, you're over thinking it unless you want a early version of the a Block I.  Your 2018 would be correct for a current M4A1.  I've used all those parts in Block II builds except for the KAC RAS.  Parts wear out and need replacement with the next generation of parts or whatever is in the Army's supply system.

CD
View Quote
Thanks, looking to build a more modern version of the block 1.5. I will keep the 2018 version then. Seeing the differences in the parts, I guess the main thing I was wanting to make sure is if I sell my old one, there's nothing on that parts wise I should have kept for my new one. Hopefully the quality is still there if not better hopefully on the 2018. I just wasn't sure with the H2 buffer differences or the bolt carrier and how my 2018 actually shows the chrome lining ring on the end.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 5:25:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DC2FA5] [#48]

My light is incorrect, and I suppose the sling isn’t right either, but this fits here pretty well. Colt SOCOM Upper, TA31F, LMT Defender lower. Photo is from a disused nuke site that is now a training facility. You can see several steel silhouettes in the distance ranging from 120-350 meters out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Picked up another Colt.  Still need an optic for it, probably an Aimpoint.  This one has a gov’t profile barrel.  The ACOG equipped Colt has a SOCOM profile.

Link Posted: 9/27/2019 8:15:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By HD2006:
Picked up another Colt.  Still need an optic for it, probably an Aimpoint.  This one has a gov’t profile barrel.  The ACOG equipped Colt has a SOCOM profile.

https://i.imgur.com/ZVJ3GWQ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/VrCtygN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UQYzByd.jpg
View Quote
Awesome pair of rifles.
Page / 231
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top