Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 232
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:03:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4DAIVIPAI2K5] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BePhreed:
Yay paint.

<a href="http://s737.photobucket.com/user/Bephreed/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DD213B2B-6CCB-42A1-9393-46DC39984B61_zps8b8ofgzy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx11/Bephreed/Mobile%20Uploads/DD213B2B-6CCB-42A1-9393-46DC39984B61_zps8b8ofgzy.jpg</a>
View Quote

Your gun has arms.

Also did you spray paint your floor and box on the left side of picture?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
No paint anywhere than on the rifle. Was my buddy's garage so I laid down a bunch of paper to make sure of it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]

OD and brown?

Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 4DAIVIPAI2K5:

Your gun has arms.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 4DAIVIPAI2K5:
Yay paint.

<a href="http://s737.photobucket.com/user/Bephreed/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DD213B2B-6CCB-42A1-9393-46DC39984B61_zps8b8ofgzy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx11/Bephreed/Mobile%20Uploads/DD213B2B-6CCB-42A1-9393-46DC39984B61_zps8b8ofgzy.jpg</a>

Your gun has arms.

I think thats just something sticking out next to him. Its blurry meaning it was closer to the camera than the floor was
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
OD and brown?
View Quote

FDE and Brown,
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
I think thats just something sticking out next to him. Its blurry meaning it was closer to the camera than the floor was
View Quote

Yup. Think I was holding a paper towel.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Yay paint.

View Quote

Nice!  This is the step I just can't seem to bring myself to take. I went so far as to buy 4 cans of camo paint and they're still on the shelf.

I posted the pic of the Block I & II in the other SOPMOD Block II thread and thought they looked done, now I'm still trying to talk myself into it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:43:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#8]

View All Quotes

Paint looks good. Looks really similar to the last paint job i did on my 1.5, im gonna go with more of a deeper sand color this time and a little bit of brown. Similar to RTUtahs mk 12
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:54:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BePhreed] [#9]
Originally Posted By fastfoot:

Nice!  This is the step I just can't seem to bring myself to take. I went so far as to buy 4 cans of camo paint and they're still on the shelf.

I posted the pic of the Block I & II in the other SOPMOD Block II thread and thought they looked done, now I'm still trying to talk myself into it.
View Quote

Have to do it, man. It took me a while to paint my first one a few years ago but once I did it I was very happy.

And thanks, milspec. Appreciate the compliment. RTUtah's sure looks good. Look forward to seeing the results. I also like a darker tan and that's why I misted almost all of the tan parts of my rifle with a little brown so the FDE wasn't as loud.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:00:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#10]

Have to do it, man. It took me a while to paint my first one a few years ago but once I did it I was very happy.

And thanks, milspec. Appreciate the compliment. RTUtah's sure looks good. Look forward to seeing the results. I also like a darker tan and that's why I misted almost all of the tan parts of my rifle with a little brown so the FDE wasn't as loud.
View All Quotes

Random question but do you know of any black oversized pins? I have a opened up hammer pin hole on my 1.5 lower which is why i put the kns pins on it. I have a pair of ALG oversized pins but theyre nickel teflon coated and wont hold paint. I do not like the silver pin end look at all....
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I do not. Unless it's a special lower, I would just replace the whole thing. May be a problem worth creating its own thread about though. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I do not. Unless it's a special lower, I would just replace the whole thing. May be a problem worth creating its own thread about though. Good luck.
View Quote

Thank ya sir. it works perfectly with the ebola (kns) pins but its of course not clone correct. I might try to rough up the ends of the ALG pins and try to see if theyll hold black paint again
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Random question but do you know of any black oversized pins? I have a opened up hammer pin hole on my 1.5 lower which is why i put the kns pins on it. I have a pair of ALG oversized pins but theyre nickel teflon coated and wont hold paint. I do not like the silver pin end look at all....
View All Quotes

Could you maybe hunt down an old Colt  large pin trigger set?
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Nameless_Hobo:

View All Quotes

They seem to be about .155 do u think .170's would fit? I guess I could ream them out to .170 but thats a scary thought lol
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#15]

They seem to be about .155 do u think .170's would fit? I guess I could ream them out to .170 but thats a scary thought lol
View All Quotes

RRA used (they still might, not sure) to use .155 pins for their replacement triggers. I would ask them if you could get some from them.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Buy a Geissele SSA for a large pin Colt (0.169) and have the lower milled out or drill press.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I am currently working on a block 1 clone, aimpoint and wilcox mount will be here next week. Things left to do, replace b5 sopmod with car stock (If I can ever find one), get proper sling mounts, have barrel chopped to 14.5.

If anyone has a lead on a legit Car stock I would owe you big time, I have been watching the EE and Gunbroker for 2 weeks now. If I don't find one in another 2 weeks I'm going to just slap an LMT sopmod on and call it done.

sneak peek potato pic for the pic thread!
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Forlorn-Hope:
I am currently working on a block 1 clone, aimpoint and wilcox mount will be here next week. Things left to do, replace b5 sopmod with car stock (If I can ever find one), get proper sling mounts, have barrel chopped to 14.5.

If anyone has a lead on a legit Car stock I would owe you big time, I have been watching the EE and Gunbroker for 2 weeks now. If I don't find one in another 2 weeks I'm going to just slap an LMT sopmod on and call it done.

sneak peek potato pic for the pic thread!
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv38/Saroxis/sneakpeek.jpg
View Quote

The B5 is kosher as well, you know that correct? thats what i have on my 1.5. I know of at least 1 big contract B5 filled for the Army
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:55:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AnimalMother556] [#19]
The B5 is kosher as well, you know that correct? thats what i have on my 1.5. I know of at least 1 big contract B5 filled for the Army
View Quote

Yeah, but the CAR stock is way cooler.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:58:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#20]
Originally Posted By AnimalMother556:

View All Quotes

I agree that a car stock is better for a block I. Id put mine on my 1.5 if it wasnt commercial diameter. But the reason i said thatbis because he said if he cant find one hes gonna take off his B5 SOPMOD to buy an LMT SOPMOD, but they're both crane kosher
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:59:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nameless_Hobo] [#21]
View All Quotes

Yeah, I was suggesting drill the lower. If it doesn't work with normal pins, and you want to get rid of the KNS pins, why not?

I agree that a car stock is better for a block I. Id put mine on my 1.5 if it wasnt commercial diameter. But the reason i said thatbis because he said if he cant find one hes gonna take off his B5 SOPMOD to buy an LMT SOPMOD, but they're both crane kosher

Speaking of the CAR stocks, have any of you guys tried to fix one of the epoxy jobs that some people did back during the AWB? I ran across a dealer with 3 or 4 N1 stocks that had been epoxied on to buffer tubes. I'm wondering if I could heat the tube enough to melt the epoxy, and remove the stock body. From there, it should be easy to get any epoxy cleaned off of the plastic.
I'm just curious if the melting point of (who knows what kind of) 15 year old epoxy is lower than that of the plastic CAR stocks are made from.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Yeah, I was suggesting drill the lower. If it doesn't work with normal pins, and you want to get rid of the KNS pins, why not?
View Quote

The killer is the kns pins work perfectly on that lower, but its about as kosher as putting a bb gun scope on a barrett m107
I'll try to hunt down some black .155 pins, i know they're out there. Guess i could just upgrade the ALG to a Geissele and id have the pins i need. But worse case scenario i would prob do as you suggested
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#23]

The killer is the kns pins work perfectly on that lower, but its about as kosher as putting a bb gun scope on a barrett m107
I'll try to hunt down some black .155 pins, i know they're out there. Guess i could just upgrade the ALG to a Geissele and id have the pins i need. But worse case scenario i would prob do as you suggested
View All Quotes

I'd use the KNS pins, honestly. I'm ok with not being perfectly 'clone correct,' though, as witnessed by my M300b and T1. Shit isn't that serious, you know?
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:56:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AnimalMother556] [#24]
I believe some of the retro guys use a MA Parts CAR stock that is supposedly milspec diameter and of good quality.  If I needed a CAR stock right now, that's where I'd look.  Beats the hell out of trying to remove epoxy from an old one.  

CAR stock

Comparison of MA stock to Colt stock
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#25]

I'd use the KNS pins, honestly. I'm ok with not being perfectly 'clone correct,' though, as witnessed by my M300b and T1. Shit isn't that serious, you know?
View All Quotes

You have a valid point. That was my way of thinking when I put em on. The only thing that does worry me is the hollow portions of the trigger pin, I forget the strength numbers for whatever series stainless the pins are made from, but they should be alright as far a durability. I hope anyways
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I believe some of the retro guys use a MA Parts CAR stock that is supposedly milspec diameter and of good quality.  If I needed a CAR stock right now, that's where I'd look.  Beats the hell out of trying to remove epoxy from an old one.  

CAR stock

View Quote

Thank you so much! Just ordered one, made my night.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

CAR stock

Don't mention it.  CAR stocks are my favorite.  May order one of these myself.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:18:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nameless_Hobo] [#28]

CAR stock

View All Quotes

CAR stock

I've got a N1, now, but I want more, haha.
The two reasons I'm considering it, A: He offered me the lot for 20 bucks, B: I would like to save the poor bastards, no stock should have to endure that.

You have a valid point. That was my way of thinking when I put em on. The only thing that does worry me is the hollow portions of the trigger pin, I forget the strength numbers for whatever series stainless the pins are made from, but they should be alright as far a durability. I hope anyways

You could try to sleeve the pin hole that is too big, I guess. I'm sure you've heard the old saying, though, it's easier to remove than to add back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 3:32:51 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

CAR stock

I had one of the MA Parts CAR stocks, they certainly look the part, closer than anything else I've seen.  Just a couple years ago you could get Colt fiberlite stocks all day long for $25-35 now the get snapped up in the EE for $80-100, to me thats crazy, sure they are still the best stock available for the AR (IMO) but that's a lot of money. Only problem is the MA Parts stocks are made out of a completely different material, the genuine Colt stocks feel almost like rubberized plastic, the MA Parts CAR stocks just feel like plastic.  With todays prices I'd probably just get the MA Parts version.  Glad I still have a few of the originals as I use them on everything.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Fwiw, Tonys Customs has car stocks in mil spec in alum, and syn in both black and OD. Good pricing too.

http://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/product-category/parts-components/buttstocks-components/c-a-r-style-buttstocks/
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By hipower90:
Fwiw, Tonys Customs has car stocks in mil spec in alum, and syn in both black and OD. Good pricing too.

http://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/product-category/parts-components/buttstocks-components/c-a-r-style-buttstocks/
View Quote

Thanks for the hotlink.

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:34:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#32]
SOPMOD "related" accessories:

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 9:27:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#34]
Now that's the first time I've ever seen one up close.  Nice.  Thank you.

Those grip screws on the M9 look like they need to go in further and would leave marks.  

M4's and M9's, the standard stuff for Green Berets.  Eh?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:07:20 AM EDT
[#35]
The cost was actually not too bad - it's trying to find all of the required components available for sale that's difficult.  

Of course - for the M9, the conversion is only the barrel, while for the M4, it's the barreled upper receiver assembly, BCG and CH, and magazines - then ammunition.    

The lower usually has one of my Block II URGs riding on it.  

I haven't done the barrel dowel test yet to see what the "legal" barrel length is, and I'm not sure I'm really terribly concerned about cranking off the "flash suppressor" just to check - it's riding an SBR lower anyways.  

It also checks out function-wise with the Geissele SSA, for anyone who's interested.  

Re: the M9 - the harsh lighting makes the grip screw protrusion look far worse than it actually is.  

Those grips are some polymer slim grips that another member sent me to try out - but screwing the grip screws in any further actually ends up binding up the magazine.  It's actually not that noticeable - and I've fired it like that before, though not heavily, as it is a back-up pistol, my primary M9 wears Gunner Grips - I just haven't gotten around to changing them back out.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:14:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Augee:
The cost was actually not too bad - it's trying to find all of the required components available for sale that's difficult.  

Of course - for the M9, the conversion is only the barrel, while for the M4, it's the barreled upper receiver assembly, BCG and CH, and magazines - then ammunition.    

I haven't done the barrel dowel test yet to see what the "legal" barrel length is, and I'm not sure I'm really terribly concerned about cranking off the "flash suppressor" just to check - it's riding an SBR lower anyways.  

It also checks out function-wise with the Geissele SSA, for anyone who's interested.  

Re: the M9 - the harsh lighting makes the grip screw protrusion look far worse than it actually is.  

Those grips are some polymer slim grips that another member sent me to try out - but screwing the grip screws in any further actually ends up binding up the magazine.  It's actually not that noticeable - and I've fired it like that before, though not heavily, as it is a back-up pistol, my primary M9 wears Gunner Grips - I just haven't gotten around to changing them back out.  

~Augee
View Quote

So even though the simmunition upper will only fire simmunition, NFA rules still apply? Now that is intriguing. I could imagine piecing together all of the m4 components took some time, these things are not too easy to find. I got to look at/mess around with an m4 simmunition conversion last fall and watch some training. It truly is the most accurate form of training besides live fire. Simmunition training blows blanks training out the water.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm interested in building one now. help me out...

It will be used alot so practicality is a must, so probably 1.5.  I'm stuck on what kind of light to get. I have some older surefires and they fail in comparison to the newer ones, so what kind of SF is acceptable? also I like the Inforce MX3s too, I'm thinking I should just go with that.

My next question is I'm curious as to what kind of setup you would probably get if you enlisted right now. Are block 1.5s the norm or 2's becoming the norm, just curious since I'm seeing a lot of rifles on this thread that were the thing when I was in my prime.

As you can see I'm trying to get an idea on when things are phased out and new stuff replaces it. I find it very interesting going through the old threads seeing the changes. The Block 2 thread has a ton of that, but its very time consuming

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Jacobus:

It will be used alot so practicality is a must, so probably 1.5.  I'm stuck on what kind of light to get. I have some older surefires and they fail in comparison to the newer ones, so what kind of SF is acceptable? also I like the Inforce MX3s too, I'm thinking I should just go with that.

My next question is I'm curious as to what kind of setup you would probably get if you enlisted right now. Are block 1.5s the norm or 2's becoming the norm, just curious since I'm seeing a lot of rifles on this thread that were the thing when I was in my prime.

As you can see I'm trying to get an idea on when things are phased out and new stuff replaces it. I find it very interesting going through the old threads seeing the changes. The Block 2 thread has a ton of that, but its very time consuming

Thanks
View Quote

I'd say block 1 is pretty damn close to the normal setup of standard infantry m4's. The main difference I can think of off the top of my head is the AN/PEQ-15 instead of the block I's AN/PEQ-2. If you just want a service rifle clone go after the block 1 or 1.5 style, throw an ACOG on it, I don't get too picky with lights as long as it was in use at some point. Throw a waffle stock on it, and thats pretty fuckin close to what's being issued on standard infantry rifles.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:36:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mb121] [#39]

I'd say block 1 is pretty damn close to the normal setup of standard infantry m4's. The main difference I can think of off the top of my head is the AN/PEQ-15 instead of the block I's AN/PEQ-2. If you just want a service rifle clone go after the block 1 or 1.5 style, throw an ACOG on it, I don't get too picky with lights as long as it was in use at some point. Throw a waffle stock on it, and thats pretty fuckin close to what's being issued on standard infantry rifles.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jacobus:

Thanks

SOPMOD stocks are issued out with the Infantry in addition to the standard M4 stock.  PEQ-2's and PEQ-4's have largely been phased out and replaced with PEQ-15's.  Tac lights vary with what unit you're serving in, I have been issued Surefire M9XX series and Insight M3X and M6X before.  I have seen plenty of SF scouts and other various models used.  Sights again depend on what unit you serve with and I have seen or used the following: ACOG (TA01, TA01NSN, TA31F, M150), Eotech (n cell and AA models), Aimpoint M68 CCO (Comp M2 and M4), MARS sight.

Rangers and SF use fancier stuff than us regular line guys for their M4's.  Though sometimes theater issued or unit level purchase items are used that are listed on the SOPMOD list, not purchased through the SOPMOD program, but you get the right commander and sometimes things happen.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#40]
What the heck is a n ACOG M150???  

Off to google.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JJREA:

Off to google.  
View Quote

The Army issued ACOG. Trijicon makes a bunch of different models.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

Off to google.  

Basically a TA31 with flip caps.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Off to google.  
View Quote

Now issued ACOG model for the Army, basically a TA31F but with mil stadia lines on both sides of the reticle, includes kill flash with flip cap.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Mb121:

Now issued ACOG model for the Army, basically a TA31F but with mil stadia lines on both sides of the reticle, includes kill flash with flip cap.
View All Quotes

Off to google.  

And also has adjustment knobs instead of the flat head screw adjustment (probably my favorite part of the upgrade)
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

And also has adjustment knobs instead of the flat head screw adjustment (probably my favorite part of the upgrade)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Off to google.  

Took the flip covers off mine; too easy to break
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:19:57 AM EDT
[#46]

~Augee
View Quote

I've trained extensively with simunitions and I much prefer the 5.56 sims to the 9mm conversion, mostly because you can use any upper receiver and magazine, you just have to change the bolt carrier group out. Augee, watch out for sim rounds getting jammed up in the barrel in those 9mm conversions. I once had an entire barrel full of sim rounds that I didn't notice until after the scenario. I kept shooting at people to no effect and kept getting lit up because of it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:31:41 AM EDT
[#47]
OK, I didn't quite get what the M150 was.  ACOG's website say's it's for the M150.  Like referring to the M150 like it's a weapon.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:35:45 AM EDT
[#48]
OK, I didn't quite get what the M150 was.  ACOG's website say's it's for the M150.  Like referring to the M150 like it's a weapon.
View Quote

It's for the M4 Carbine.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-acog-4x32-army-rifle-combat-optic-for-the-m150-w-ta51-mount-ta31rco-m15.html
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Car stock arrived from MAparts, this thing is pretty cool. Still have a bunch to do before its done though.

Now I need to remove front sling swivel, have the barrel chopped to 14.5, get the aimpoint and wilcox mount, and possibly but still undecided swap the grip and trigger guard. My wallet hates this hobby....

crappy pic from smart potato.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Pook2:

I've trained extensively with simunitions and I much prefer the 5.56 sims to the 9mm conversion, mostly because you can use any upper receiver and magazine, you just have to change the bolt carrier group out. Augee, watch out for sim rounds getting jammed up in the barrel in those 9mm conversions. I once had an entire barrel full of sim rounds that I didn't notice until after the scenario. I kept shooting at people to no effect and kept getting lit up because of it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pook2:

~Augee

Same here. I could rarely get the 9mm SIM conversions to work. They failed/malfunctioned 95% of the time.
Page / 232
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top