"budget" build work in progress - optic will be updated when funds allow

Link Posted: 6/15/2020 1:21:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: delta_romeo_echo] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hbtntx:
"budget" build work in progress - optic will be updated when funds allow

https://i.imgur.com/PqxQfQi.jpg?1
View Quote

Nice page ownage. I have a budget build Block 1 coming together as well. Problem is the ACOG I want will probably cost more than the rest of the rifle. Most of the older ones I find cheap are 10+ years old and the tritium is dead or dying.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 8:35:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Soopreme] [#3]
Had a bone stock LE6920 Laying around, so why not. It’s not a 100% clone but close enough for me. I did pick up a Colt 14.5 SOCOM and kac NT4 fh, so maybe I’ll get it pinned for this project.

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Soopreme:
Had a bone stock LE6920 Laying around, so why not. It’s not a 100% clone but close enough for me. I did pick up a Colt 14.5 SOCOM and kac NT4 fh, so maybe I’ll get it pinned for this project.

https://i.ibb.co/JtyJ1xq/33-EE08-E4-10-BD-4-A52-A967-BC397-B68-B85-F.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/y09fnLZ/81116-AF6-7943-480-C-956-B-B37-E16-AC3111.jpg
View Quote

Looks good. The modern grip is wrong (should be an A2) but I can live with that. The 16" barrel is ok too, better than posting with a pistol brace LOL Get that 14.5" on and you'll be golden.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By delta_romeo_echo:

Looks good. The modern grip is wrong (should be an A2) but I can live with that. The 16" barrel is ok too, better than posting with a pistol brace LOL Get that 14.5" on and you'll be golden.
View Quote

i just cant stand the ergonomics of the A2 grip for my style of shooting. im currently looking for a used 14.5 socom to get pinned cause i dont want to ruin my brand new one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#6]
That 'modern' grip has been around for near two decades if not more and was one of the early aftermarket grips prevalently used in GWOT. Your rifle looks fine...
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BePhreed:
That 'modern' grip has been around for near two decades if not more and was one of the early aftermarket grips prevalently used in GWOT. Your rifle looks fine...
View Quote

This. Couldn't tell you how many dudes I saw buy an Ergo from the PX and slap it on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:07:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Soopreme] [#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

This. Couldn't tell you how many dudes I saw buy an Ergo from the PX and slap it on.

Nice well that’s good to know. The grip, lower receiver and the barrel size were the things that I thought was not correct. Now I just need to find a used 14.5” SOCOM.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Nice kit.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:43:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#11]
Am I doing this right(ish)? Tried to keep it basique

Link Posted: 6/18/2020 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
RIS/RAS with UK SAS bottom (NEW OLD STOCK)

View Quote

Damn bro don't be telling everyone! I gotta order one first!
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

View All Quotes

Gotta spread that shit around some.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Ugh I should unfollow this post. I regret selling my nib kac ras. It seems I love the block one more than I love the block 2 as that was my real evolution of the carbine and we stuck with the block 1 most of my career.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:
Ugh I should unfollow this post. I regret selling my nib kac ras. It seems I love the block one more than I love the block 2 as that was my real evolution of the carbine and we stuck with the block 1 most of my career.
View Quote

B1 is best block.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#17]

B1 is best block.
View Quote

What makes it worse is I have a buddies block 1 here that I built for him. I am storing it for him and I am quite jelous as I picked up hois rail and my rail for a great buyer brand new with all accessories. Hated I sold mine. I should have sold something else of mine instead of the rail.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Ugh I should unfollow this post.
View Quote

No kidding, you guys just cost me more money.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#19]

What makes it worse is I have a buddies block 1 here that I built for him. I am storing it for him and I am quite jelous as I picked up hois rail and my rail for a great buyer brand new with all accessories. Hated I sold mine. I should have sold something else of mine instead of the rail.
View Quote

We've all done it, and agreed Block 1 is the best!
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone got an idea how to remove a stripped CQD front sling mount screw head? I have one on a FF RAS long, but that fucker has been on there a long time and apparently didn't want to come off. I figure even if I drill out the head, it's still threaded into the other side

Might be easier to just get another one but I figured I'd ask anyway.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 2:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn] [#21]
Anyone got an idea how to remove a stripped CQD front sling mount screw head? I have one on a FF RAS long, but that fucker has been on there a long time and apparently didn't want to come off. I figure even if I drill out the head, it's still threaded into the other side

Might be easier to just get another one but I figured I'd ask anyway.
View Quote

I’ve had success in this department using an easy out. One thing though, if there’s thread locker you will need to heat the threaded side. I use a torch with light passes, it doesn’t take much to release the thread locker. If no thread locker I usually let some pb blaster get in there for a couple mins. Easy out either way.

Beyond that, drilling the threaded side just smaller than the threads and punching it out. If that’s a no go, dremel her off and get a new one. I guess it all depends on how much you value your time for a $30 part. I’d probably spend hours on this to salvage it where my misses would throw the whole FF RAS in the trash
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DStepec:

I’ve had success in this department using an easy out. One thing though, if there’s thread locker you will need to heat the threaded side. I use a torch with light passes, it doesn’t take much to release the thread locker. If no thread locker I usually let some pb blaster get in there for a couple mins. Easy out either way.

Beyond that, drilling the threaded side just smaller than the threads and punching it out. If that’s a no go, dremel her off and get a new one. I guess it all depends on how much you value your time for a $30 part.
View Quote

All this.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Welp, I bought a set to go with one of those CDNN Remington socom barrels.  Now the question is should I retool one of my stamped lowers into a GWOT configuration, or should I do a pin/weld job?
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:

Welp, I bought a set to go with one of those CDNN Remington socom barrels.  Now the question is should I retool one of my stamped lowers into a GWOT configuration, or should I do a pin/weld job?
View Quote

My rifle at the top of this page is using one of the CDNN remington socoms, with a pin+weld+spacer from John Thomas at Retro Arms Works - he did fantastic work, at a great price, and very quickly.  Don't usually get all three these days.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Nice kit.
View Quote

thank you!
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:27:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jobob182] [#26]
This rifle was one of my first builds about 15years ago. It originally started out as a random parts m4. It was mix of cmmg, bcm and Sun Devil . Then I was bitten by the clone bug and parts started changing.

The first part I changed was the lower, I had an 80% lower engraved with the correct US property and colt M4 carbine roll marks, found a colt LPK and colt M4 stock. The lower was finally clone correct. The next part I had to replaced was the MI drop in rail with a kac ras.

At this point the only "non colt parts" were the cmmg barrel and bcm upper. I thought I could live with that, but my OCD took over and I had to make them clone correct. Lol

So I ordered a complete socom upper from wet worx and I think I’m finally finished!

Now the only not original part is the 80% lower, but I'm fine with that. Cause even the colt m4 carbine lowers are "clones" since they are not full auto and I dont see any reason to drop $500 on a lower.  

So here's the before and after pics!

Before

and after

Link Posted: 6/20/2020 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Jobob182:
This rifle was one of my first builds about 15years ago. It originally started out as a random parts m4. It was mix of cmmg, bcm and Sun Devil . Then I was bitten by the clone bug and parts started changing.

The first part I changed was the lower, I had an 80% lower engraved with the correct US property and colt M4 carbine roll marks, found a colt LPK and colt M4 stock. The lower was finally clone correct. The next part I had to replaced was the MI drop in rail with a kac ras.

At this point the only "non colt parts" were the cmmg barrel and bcm upper. I thought I could live with that, but my OCD took over and I had to make them clone correct. Lol

So I ordered a complete socom upper from wet worx and I think I’m finally finished!

Now the only not original part is the 80% lower, but I'm fine with that. Cause even the colt m4 carbine lowers are "clones" since they are not full auto and I dont see any reason to drop $500 on a lower.  

Before
https://i.ibb.co/k3MwB33/92-A4877-B-1-BD1-4-E44-BADD-28459-A7614-A2.jpg

and after

https://i.ibb.co/tZnS5mF/0831-E55-C-AE8-E-43-DA-BD44-058-A9-CAEC518.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/xfG4kKH/F6873-D66-A8-B0-47-AA-88-BD-563-C8-DCAE5-B1.jpg

View Quote

Looks good. Maybe I missed it but where are people finding these “replica” colt 80% lowers?
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Looks good. Maybe I missed it but where are people finding these “replica” colt 80% lowers?
View All Quotes

Before
https://i.ibb.co/k3MwB33/92-A4877-B-1-BD1-4-E44-BADD-28459-A7614-A2.jpg

and after

https://i.ibb.co/tZnS5mF/0831-E55-C-AE8-E-43-DA-BD44-058-A9-CAEC518.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/xfG4kKH/F6873-D66-A8-B0-47-AA-88-BD-563-C8-DCAE5-B1.jpg

Not many (if any) are engraving the Colt stuff anymore. Seems they got pissy about it. Dogfight Ink has electroengraving stencils so you can DIY.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Not many (if any) are engraving the Colt stuff anymore. Seems they got pissy about it. Dogfight Ink has electroengraving stencils so you can DIY.
View Quote

Interesting. Yeah always thought that was a little odd seeing people engraving their own colt replica lowers. But I guess to each their own, but why fake the funk?
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Interesting. Yeah always thought that was a little odd seeing people engraving their own colt replica lowers. But I guess to each their own, but why fake the funk?
View All Quotes

You got the cheese for a 3rd pin lower?
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 8:58:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Soopreme] [#31]

You got the cheese for a 3rd pin lower?
View Quote

I def don’t but I’m not going to go out of my way to make a replica one.

But as I stated before, to each their own.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

I cant speak for everyone, but the reason I made a Colt replica Is because I wanted a custom serial number for this block 1 and I already had the tooling for other lowers I was making.

So i got my custom serial number and correct engraving for under $100
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#33]

I cant speak for everyone, but the reason I made a Colt replica Is because I wanted a custom serial number for this block 1 and I already had the tooling for other lowers I was making.

View All Quotes

This too. Kinda forgot that I had done my SBR M4 lower so I could run the same s/n that I was issued for one of my deployments.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

all in one. i see what you did there...
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

What is the optic on the far right? Never seen anything like that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By minion42:

What is the optic on the far right? Never seen anything like that.
View Quote

Its the aiming tube off some piece of field artillery. Carl gustav maybe? He had it on the mk18 for a long time. I think its a 3x with a fine crosshair.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By shelbysguns:

Its the aiming tube off some piece of field artillery. Carl gustav maybe? He had it on the mk18 for a long time. I think its a 3x with a fine crosshair.
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:29:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#39]
Originally Posted By shelbysguns:

View Quote

Correct off 84mm Carl G recoilless rifle.  Optic is 1" dia and 3x but doesn't have a fine crosshair.  More typical German with thick bar and post.  No top half reticle in center.  Also windage hash marks for vehicle leads (again off recoilless rifle).  Been running it for 3 yrs here.

Found one of my pics of the reticle
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:41:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#40]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Correct off 84mm Carl G recoilless rifle.  Optic is 1" dia and 3x but doesn't have a fine crosshair.  More typical German with thick bar and post.  No top half reticle in center.  Also windage hash marks for vehicle leads (again off recoilless rifle).  Been running it for 3 yrs here.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5893_JPG-1476256.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5894_JPG-1476257.JPG

CD
View Quote

Who makes (or made) it?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Who makes (or made) it?
View Quote

Never figured it out.  No manufactures marks that I know of.  As stated issued with the Carl G made by SAAB.

CD
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5893_JPG-1476256.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_5894_JPG-1476257.JPG

CD
View Quote

I knew it was something like that. Idk if its fine or not but I meant just crosshairs.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#43]
If you own a 5.56 QDSS NT4, would you please measure the distance from the rear of the M4QD to the rear of the suppressor?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#45]
COLT REJOINS COMMERCIAL MARKET?
View Quote

Well that was a short hiatus in the grand scheme of things.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#46]
COLT REJOINS COMMERCIAL MARKET?
View Quote

Bet the people that paid 1.5 to 2.0x more for a colt will feel pretty dumb once it starts.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#47]
What is the best, most modern led Surefire model that would be acceptable on a 1.5? The m952v?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Typical of Colt to leave just before the AR market went wild then re-enter as it goes over the peak.  Maybe they can capitalize on the election panic at least.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:55:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#49]
FN M4A1 MWS which repeats the old block I.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#50]

Huge can of these obscure pieces. Is this the only one you've seen or is there hope of finding another?
Page / 230
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top