Site Notices
Page / 230
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:07:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#1]
Glitch.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

Yes it does. Really clean design and well thought out as far as I can tell. Shit now I'm getting the crazy idea to drop more on one than my RAS. My MRE might have a little brother

https://i.postimg.cc/9fSJnf6h/m4-extended-gun-800x800.jpg
View Quote

Originally Posted By uniform64:
The Ergo's do droop but looks to be the correct extension if you're cloning a Force Recon gun

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49253771058_544c01189c_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49253808413_97ecc5ab64_c.jpg
not my pic
View Quote

Stop it. Dammit.

I spent all that time sourcing YHM Tri rails, convinced myself that the Ergo was not needed and now this shit.  

Just when you think you're out it pulls you back in.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yes it does. Really clean design and well thought out as far as I can tell. Shit now I'm getting the crazy idea to drop more on one than my RAS. My MRE might have a little brother

https://i.postimg.cc/9fSJnf6h/m4-extended-gun-800x800.jpg
View Quote

damn that looks so good. the ergo seems like a good alternative but i dont like how it droops.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

Stop it. Dammit.

I spent all that time sourcing YHM Tri rails, convinced myself that the Ergo was not needed and now this shit.  

View Quote

Yea, watching all those Force Recon videos got me
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Stop it. Dammit.

View Quote

I've been telling myself to stop all morning if I look any longer, Cadex is about to gain another dummy who pays that much for one of them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]

I've been telling myself to stop all morning if I look any longer, Cadex is about to gain another dummy who pays that much for one of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Stop it. Dammit.

I'm almost feeling "dumb" enough to FO on one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

I'll be dumb if you will! I haven't wanted to add too much crap and just keep mine basic Block 1. This thread keeps dicking up that dream.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#8]

I'll be dumb if you will! I haven't wanted to add too much crap and just keep mine basic Block 1. This thread keeps dicking up that dream.
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 7:50:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheQuadfather] [#9]
View Quote

Not a Block1 by any means but surprised to see anyone, much less more than one, with the same basic configuration.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn y'all are making me want a Block 1 next... Shoulda jumped on the many uppers that were recently up for sale in the EE...Gotta keep my eyes open from now on!
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm awaiting my Ergo but might end up selling it and just going the Cadex as it does line up especially on the top rail with the RAS a helluva a lot better than the Ergo appears...............Fuck this thread...
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GoRebels:
I'm awaiting my Ergo but might end up selling it and just going the Cadex as it does line up especially on the top rail with the RAS a helluva a lot better than the Ergo appears...............Fuck this thread...
View Quote

Glad that I am not alone.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:42:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#13]
I always get worried when this thread starts poppin' because it usually means it's going to ruin my best laid plans
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#14]
So which is more Clone Correct?  I would assume the Ergo is the Old and Cadex the new?  So it's an either or situation?  How bad does that Ergo droop and can you not shim it some how?
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#15]
So which is more Clone Correct?  I would assume the Ergo is the Old and Cadex the new?  So it's an either or situation?  How bad does that Ergo droop and can you not shim it some how?
View Quote

Thats what I was thinking of doing. The bottom part rest on the FSB part where the taper pins go. I was thinking using thin brass shims.
The Ergo's are the only ones I've seen in pics and videos. Easy to spot because of the taper that butts up against the end cap.

Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Thats what I was thinking of doing. The bottom part rest on the FSB part where the taper pins go. I was thinking using thin brass shims.
The Ergo's are the only ones I've seen in pics and videos. Easy to spot because of the taper that butts up against the end cap.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49001750121_b6ffb27a08_b.jpg
View All Quotes

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49001750121_b6ffb27a08_b.jpg

Damn fine rifle!!  When mine arrives I'm a play with it and if you come up with something post up thanks...............
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:49:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Here are some close ups of the mount area. The droop is bothersome but I can learn to live with it. I also like the fact it has 6 bolts.

Link Posted: 7/16/2020 12:50:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Here are some close ups of the mount area. The droop is bothersome but I can learn to live with it. I also like the fact it has 6 bolts.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50118164042_a8eb9de9fe_b.jpg

View Quote

So it looks like it all is based off how horizontal cut inside the FSB runs, or at least in relationship to the barrel. Be really cool to make the adjustment there by milling and forget about shims. How about a set screw tapped into the clamp that you could tighten until things level off?

Interesting problem to solve...
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 2:04:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I think had they left the rear solid without the cut out for the swivel and remove the swivel ears, this would have been perfect. Or at least better to work with.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I think the way Cadex addressed that was to make it fit on the KAC RAS only so they could make the rear of the extension interface with the front of the RAS to eliminate droop.

Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:33:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4AZ] [#21]
This is where mine sits these days.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Conner378:
https://i.postimg.cc/rFkwkZg7/7705-CF33-4-ABE-428-D-B167-6-C591-F22-CA2-D.jpg
View Quote

That's sick! That's the second NF/FSB combo in two days. I think that's the best look to date, if I'm being honest. Conceptually it sounds weird, but just plain works.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#23]
here is how mine sits, swapping the stock out for a Coyote B5 sopmod ASAP, and just need to get a light setup. https://imgur.com/gallery/RKT6qSz
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 12:45:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Conner378:
https://i.postimg.cc/rFkwkZg7/7705-CF33-4-ABE-428-D-B167-6-C591-F22-CA2-D.jpg
View Quote

I am a block I M4 fan for life.....this gets me all hot and bothered....
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By nritzell:
here is how mine sits, swapping the stock out for a Coyote B5 sopmod ASAP, and just need to get a light setup. https://imgur.com/gallery/RKT6qSz
View Quote

Nice!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I think the way Cadex addressed that was to make it fit on the KAC RAS only so they could make the rear of the extension interface with the front of the RAS to eliminate droop.

https://i.postimg.cc/85sVG54Z/m4-extended-800x800.jpg
View Quote

Yeah that's pretty slick and a smart way to do it. It's cool but why not just run a DD RIS II FSP? (rhetorical = because clones) I suppose these add-on rails are popular because it's just a "bolt on" rather than having to swap the entire rail.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By delta_romeo_echo:

Yeah that's pretty slick and a smart way to do it. It's cool but why not just run a DD RIS II FSP? (rhetorical = because clones) I suppose these add-on rails are popular because it's just a "bolt on" rather than having to swap the entire rail.
View Quote

It's for sure the more expensive and longer way to the same destination. I'm only interested because I prefer the classic look the majority of the time. I have thought about going the Block II route, but my MRE scratches that itch for me. Then again, knowing that I prefer the standard aesthetic over an extension makes me leery to spend that much on something that won't live on the carbine.

Maybe I'll get it and change my mind. Who knows. I wonder if it matches up with a FF RAS. I've toyed with the thought of getting a carbine version for my Block I (which would kick me out of clone territory but it be like that sometimes).
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#28]

It's for sure the more expensive and longer way to the same destination. I'm only interested because I prefer the classic look the majority of the time. I have thought about going the Block II route, but my MRE scratches that itch for me. Then again, knowing that I prefer the standard aesthetic over an extension makes me leery to spend that much on something that won't live on the carbine.

Maybe I'll get it and change my mind. Who knows. I wonder if it matches up with a FF RAS. I've toyed with the thought of getting a carbine version for my Block I (which would kick me out of clone territory but it be like that sometimes).
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By delta_romeo_echo:

In a moment of weakness, I almost FOd on one Saturday.

I talked myself out of it....for now.

Would love to happen onto one secondhand.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

I think I'm 99% on board with one. I'll report my findings. Matching up with the RAS was the deciding factor. Not-so-poor-mans MRE.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#30]

I think I'm 99% on board with one. I'll report my findings. Matching up with the RAS was the deciding factor. Not-so-poor-mans MRE.
View All Quotes

You first.

I like that idea.

I just like the old school shit. The RAS compatibility definitely has a lure.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#31]

You first.

I like that idea.

View Quote

Well, early birthday present secured

They really hit you over the head with shipping, as if the price wasn't already damn near an insult $37.38 for standard.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#32]

They really hit you over the head with shipping, as if the price wasn't already damn near an insult $37.38 for standard.
View All Quotes

You first.

I like that idea.

Shit.

In for details/pics.

Holy rape on shipping man.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

You first.

I like that idea.

Jeebus. Is the owner personally driving it over and giving you a handy as a way to say "thanks"?
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Jeebus. Is the owner personally driving it over and giving you a handy as a way to say "thanks"?
View Quote

Don't worry, I put it in the order notes
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#35]
What is needed to pin and weld a A2 flash hider to 14.5 inch barrel? Spacer or shims?
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By P51D_katydid:
What is needed to pin and weld a A2 flash hider to 14.5 inch barrel? Spacer or shims?
View Quote

You will need a spacer to get it over the 16" min.  Always measure 3x.

CD
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

LINK
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Don't worry, I put it in the order notes
View Quote

Blame Canada...
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

An extended A2 has some benefits such as a bayonet will still mount to it, you won't have the spacer lines visible and an extended A2 is really not that noticeable as extended.

Retro Arms did one for me on another build and you can barely tell it's pin/welded.  He re-parks the front of the barrel, from the cut forward, after he does the install.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Guntoter:

An extended A2 has some benefits such as a bayonet will still mount to it, you won't have the spacer lines visible and an extended A2 is really not that noticeable as extended.

Retro Arms did one for me on another build and you can barely tell it's pin/welded.  He re-parks the front of the barrel, from the cut forward, after he does the install.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Guntoter:

If I were going to P&W an A2 on an M4/M4A1 MWS, I'd do an extended A2 for the bayonet compatibility. I know it doesn't look right, but a spacer doesn't either.

If you are doing a Block I M4A1, the M4QD is longer than the A2 but it's still a hair short. You would need about .13"+ thick of shims (total) to get it to 16".
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#41]
This thread is a bad influence. I was going to keep my Colt rifles new in box but I decided, after revisiting this discussion, that my SOPMOD collection needs to be taken out of storage and put on a rifle (s). So I am going to start with a 2018 SOCOM and my SOPMOD (early) collection/configuration.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Minuteman1636:
This thread is a bad influence. I was going to keep my Colt rifles new in box but I decided, after revisiting this discussion, that my SOPMOD collection needs to be taken out of storage and put on a rifle (s). So I am going to start with a 2018 SOCOM and my SOPMOD (early) collection/configuration.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/336740/20200722_153412_jpg-1514736.JPG
View Quote

Showboat.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Showboat.  
View Quote

Your fault..
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#44]
No, smart. These things deserve to be built! Do your part and save a rifle and parts from a box today!
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 5:46:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#45]
Ergo M4 forward rail extension in the EE if someone is smart enough to not pay close to $300 with shipping for a Cadex

Not mine
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Your fault..
View All Quotes

Showboat.  

Your fault..

Maybe partially.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Ergo M4 forward rail extension in the EE if someone is smart enough to not pay close to $300 with shipping for a Cadex

Not mine
View Quote

Saw that as well.

Extension cant makes me
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 6:59:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Saw that as well.

Extension cant makes me
View Quote

Well, I always thought the Force Recon rifles with the extensions were nifty - so, I bought it.

I've been scouring the Internet for pictures/videos of the rifle for some inspiration.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By We_The_People:

Well, I always thought the Force Recon rifles with the extensions were nifty - so, I bought it.

I've been scouring the Internet for pictures/videos of the rifle for some inspiration.
View Quote

You're a smarter man than I
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#50]

You're a smarter man than I
View Quote

You definitely got me on some of your other builds in the GWOT thread.

I'm going on a high power kick, so the most of my discretionary funds are going to stocking up on reloading components.

Page / 230
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top