Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 231
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 2:49:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By seamasterpro:
@Combat_Diver

Hadn’t seen this addressed, any thoughts/feedback on the MMC SOCOM barrels that keep popping up? Are they something you’ve seen in the supply chain or are they some sort of reject?

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/ar-15-556-nato-145-ar-barrel-designed-to-military-specs.html
View Quote

Never heard nor seen that barrel.  The description says its a "Military AR barrel" for profile????  Says its Government profile but picture shows a SOCOM profile.  

I haven't gotten any new barrels in a year however.  Could be like the Remington barrels.  Uncle Sam might have sourced them out for say Afghan ANA or Iraqi forces for foreign aid.  Don't know.

CD
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 2:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#2]
@Combat_Diver

Hadn’t seen this addressed, any thoughts/feedback on the MMC SOCOM barrels that keep popping up? Are they something you’ve seen in the supply chain or are they some sort of reject?

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/ar-15-556-nato-145-ar-barrel-designed-to-military-specs.html
View Quote

A few things......

Do your research before ordering from DTT.

Regarding the Mennies bbls......I've read a few posts stating that accuracy has been typical milspec groups. Also some complaints that members have received bbls with blued barrel nuts and also a few posts complaining about taper pins being soft and deforming/breaking during removal.  

Just a heads up....

ETA: GOOGLE LINK /MMC BARRELS
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:37:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seamasterpro] [#3]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Never heard nor seen that barrel.  The description says its a "Military AR barrel" for profile????  Says its Government profile but picture shows a SOCOM profile.  

I haven't gotten any new barrels in a year however.  Could be like the Remington barrels.  Uncle Sam might have sourced them out for say Afghan ANA or Iraqi forces for foreign aid.  Don't know.

CD
View Quote

Ah understood, surplus just maybe not surplus for our guys, thanks!

Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

A few things......

Regarding the Mennies bbls......I've read a few posts stating that accuracy has been typical milspec groups. Also some complaints that members have received bbls with blued barrel nuts and also a few posts complaining about taper pins being soft and deforming/breaking during removal.  

Just a heads up....

View Quote

Yea I lucked out the one time I ordered from DTT but I know their reputation is pretty bad, definitely use the “online CC” with them.

I had seen the blued barrel nuts and one guy had a sheared index pin, hadn’t seen the broken tapers just that they weren’t seated very hard, thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Yea I lucked out the one time I ordered from DTT but I know their reputation is pretty bad, definitely use the “online CC” with them.

I had seen the blued barrel nuts and one guy had a sheared index pin, hadn’t seen the broken tapers just that they weren’t seated very hard, thanks for the info!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

CD

A few things......

Just a heads up....

Yeah,  now that you mention it, I recall the sheared index pin as well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, CD doesn't work on big Army guns.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

My guess is that MMC built the barrels in accordance with the SOCOM specs with the hopes of making a sale to the US Govt, and Uncle Sam said politely "thanks but no thanks", maybe they didn't pass the muster, who knows, and so MMC then sold the lot to DTT to recover their costs, maybe some profit.  Could be that DTT had MMC spin up a few more since there's good money to be made off of these.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 7:41:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#7]
Getting parts together to start a block ii. Doing a gov profile non fsb dd ris ii build once I get the rail. Waiting on the gas block. Is the Mk12 low pro gas block the correct for a non fsb?
Attachment Attached File

Not sure what to call this anymore, besides early sopmod m4. Hope it's still allowed in here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dyzastr:
Getting parts together to start a block ii. Doing a gov profile non fsb dd ris ii build once I get the rail. Waiting on the gas block. Is the Mk12 low pro gas block the correct for a non fsb?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/03719F81-02ED-44A1-B1D0-C3BFE485B9EF_jpe-2045525.JPG

Not sure what to call this anymore, besides early sopmod m4. Hope it's still allowed in here.

View Quote

Here is a photo of a friend of mine in Iraq around 2004 or so with Special Forces using an M4 with A.R.M.S. rail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/03719F81-02ED-44A1-B1D0-C3BFE485B9EF_jpe-2045525.JPG

View Quote

The MK12 gas block is the correct gas block for the non FSP Block II
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:04:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Minuteman1636:

Here is a photo of a friend of mine in Iraq around 2004 or so with Special Forces using an M4 with A.R.M.S. rail.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/336740/FB_IMG_1605141389506_jpg-2045543.JPG
View Quote

Remember the ARMS rail.  Rack above my desk in Balad.  Other rack to the right had sections M4s and my Mk13 .300 Win Mag, M79 and MG3.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 4:48:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#11]
Originally Posted By Minuteman1636:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/336740/FB_IMG_1605141389506_jpg-2045543.JPG
View Quote
That makes me wanna rattle can this build. Arms rails and paint seem to go well together. I had my 552 up front like that for a while, but went back to the rx01nsn when I stole the 552 for a different build.

Remember the ARMS rail.  Rack above my desk in Balad.  Other rack to the right had sections M4s and my Mk13 .300 Win Mag, M79 and MG3.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32677/Picture_002_jpg-2045958.JPG

CD
View Quote
^This pic originally inspired me to do this build. I finally have a ta01nsn, but haven't put it on this build yet. Might do it for a pic. I tried fitting a tango down vfg on there once. Way too tight of a tolerance. I think I remember you posting a pic before with the 552 on that rifle too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 5:46:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#12]
That makes me wanna rattle can this build. Arms rails and paint seem to go well together. I had my 552 up front like that for a while, but went back to the rx01nsn when I stole the 552 for a different build.

^This pic got me to do do this build. I finally have a ta01nsn, but haven't put it on this build yet. Might do it for a pic. I tried fitting a tango down vfg on there once. Way too tight of a tolerance. I think I remember you posting a pic before with the 552 on that rifle too.
View Quote

Yes, I had a 552 mounted forward to see if I liked it.  That TD VFG was also super tight going on.
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 12:06:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Air_Soft_Contractor] [#13]
@Combat_Diver

View Quote

I wonder how many they made and what percentage got rejected.

The ones I've seen look like the barrel extension is nitrided.

I don't think that would be acceptable if known.

Maybe it is some black oxide or smooth phosphate, but they sure look nitrided.

The dimensions seem in spec and the shoot alright, but somebody said it looks like the chrome is over rust or pitting in the barrel.

The index pins seem a bit soft.

The price seems good.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Does anyone have a line on KAC RAS kits? Seems I missed a window of time to get one in decent condition.
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 6:32:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yumago] [#15]
Well I have a bunch of parts headed my way to start my SOPMOD build.

Colt upper
CT charging handle (should I run PRI gas buster?)
Colt 14.5 socom fsp barrel
kAC Ras
Surefire M951
KAC rear buis
kAC vertical grip
BCM SOPMOD stock

All I need is
Optic
Lower
LPK
Buffer tube/buffer
BCG
Link Posted: 8/11/2021 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Yumago:
Well I have a bunch of parts headed my way to start my SOPMOD build.

Colt upper
CT charging handle (should I run PRI gas buster?)
Colt 14.5 socom fsp barrel
kAC Ras
Surefire M951
KAC rear buis
kAC vertical grip
BCM SOPMOD stock

All I need is
Optic
Lower
LPK
Buffer tube/buffer
BCG
View Quote

Arms Unlimited has Colt lowers for $500 shipped (carbine marked).
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 2:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#17]
My tribute to the OG gwot guys running m4's
I took of the filler rail to make it a bi level for the 552. It's a lil front heavy, but not as bad as it looks. (Disregard cmc trigger and Kac ambi safety) I shoulda threw on the sopmod or waffle stock.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/12/2021 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#18]
My tribute to the OG gwot guys running m4's
I took of the filler rail to make it a bi level for the 552. It's a lil front heavy, but not as bad as it looks. (Disregard cmc trigger and Kac ambi safety) I shoulda threw on the sopmod or waffle stock.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/C9003CF9-2E87-4DA0-AB6C-09188847AFAE_jpe-2050007.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/1B27D6BA-D2A8-4212-BB26-8A9C3A6EAD65_jpe-2050008.JPG
View Quote

What is there to disregard about the Knight’s safety?  They were prevalent.  Even put them on the mk11’s...
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By j-dubya1:

What is there to disregard about the Knight's safety?  They were prevalent.  Even put them on the mk11's...
View Quote
I'd say the clone consensus is that the KAC safety is mostly used on USMC weapons obviously outliers exist. Also the mk11 is a KAC weapon so I'm surprised y'all had to put them on it yall self's haha

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/12/2021 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
I'd say the clone consensus is that the KAC safety is mostly used on USMC weapons obviously outliers exist. Also the mk11 is a KAC weapon so I'm surprised y'all had to put them on it yall self's haha

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/E64632C7-1B73-4D39-BDEA-36D941C1DDAF_jpe-2050270.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/589CEF7E-1052-4387-901D-1FD8F01D22B1_jpe-2050271.JPG
View Quote

God forbid that dude had to run anywhere...
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BePhreed:

God forbid that dude had to run anywhere...
View Quote
Drop down Leg rigs LOOOOOOL
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#22]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/E64632C7-1B73-4D39-BDEA-36D941C1DDAF_jpe-2050270.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/589CEF7E-1052-4387-901D-1FD8F01D22B1_jpe-2050271.JPG
View Quote
That fab defense pistol grip is comfortable. I have one of their vfg's that has the same shape/grip.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#23]
That fab defense pistol grip is comfortable. I have one of their vfg's that has the same shape/grip.
View Quote

I ran the FAB Grip on my M4 in Afghanistan for half the deployment.  It was ok for me,  Definitely better for larger hands.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

There were drawer-fulls of the Kac safeties and Norgons.  None of the mk11 variants ever came with them stock, we added them all.  Same for the vast majority of mk12’s too, for those that still used those lowers.

It’s cool seeing that rear sight in the first picture.  I had one of those, and used it with that same eotech for a while.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 11:05:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Air_Soft_Contractor] [#25]

There were drawer-fulls of the Kac safeties and Norgons.  None of the mk11 variants ever came with them stock, we added them all.  Same for the vast majority of mk12’s too, for those that still used those lowers.

It’s cool seeing that rear sight in the first picture.  I had one of those, and used it with that same eotech for a while.
View All Quotes

It looks like one of these.

https://www.gggaz.com/mad-back-up-iron-sight.html
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#26]

There were drawer-fulls of the Kac safeties and Norgons.  None of the mk11 variants ever came with them stock, we added them all.  Same for the vast majority of mk12's too, for those that still used those lowers.

It's cool seeing that rear sight in the first picture.  I had one of those, and used it with that same eotech for a while.
View Quote
Norgons don't seem as common these days.  Remember seeing pics of those along w/ BAD-ASS safety's in the earlier days of the block IIs.

MARSOC rifles
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/13/2021 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 2:27:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: imdBman] [#28]

Wow!  There is something you don't see very often with issued Mk18.  Guy on lower right has a Mk18 with a full A1 or A2 stock on it.
ETA; I think A2.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 3:26:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By imdBman:

I ran the FAB Grip on my M4 in Afghanistan for half the deployment.  It was ok for me,  Definitely better for larger hands.
View Quote
I did as well, at the time it was the most comfortable grip out there for me.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/14/2021 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By thatguybryan:
Does anyone have a line on KAC RAS kits? Seems I missed a window of time to get one in decent condition.
View Quote

EE LINK
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:

My guess is that MMC built the barrels in accordance with the SOCOM specs with the hopes of making a sale to the US Govt, and Uncle Sam said politely "thanks but no thanks", maybe they didn't pass the muster, who knows, and so MMC then sold the lot to DTT to recover their costs, maybe some profit.  Could be that DTT had MMC spin up a few more since there's good money to be made off of these.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rpoL98:

They had a pretty big contract for several  years.

Considering production, even a small percentage rejected out of the thousands (10k's , 100k's?) made, would leave quite a few to sell as surplus.

it's possible the whole lot was rejected, but I think there were several contracts for several years.

It looks like the big stuff was done properly, but the little stuff seems to fall short, compared to others.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#32]

EE LINK
View Quote

Are the commercial ones available from Brownells with the rail kits marked differently?  IE, are these more correct than if I ordered new?  Going on a 6920 so it isn’t perfect clone anyway.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Norgons don't seem as common these days.  Remember seeing pics of those along w/ BAD-ASS safety's in the earlier days of the block IIs.

MARSOC rifles
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/CEEA7BDC-BF0F-4758-8EF1-7CDE34FD3E5A_jpe-2051826.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/E282B769-9C6A-4B3D-8C97-E34F16244485_jpe-2051828.JPG
View Quote

I never liked them to begin with, but at the time it’s all that existed.  As soon as the Troy’s came out, all my Norgons were gone, as well as every other lefty that tried my Troys.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 8/14/2021 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By j97531:

Are the commercial ones available from Brownells with the rail kits marked differently?  IE, are these more correct than if I ordered new?  Going on a 6920 so it isn’t perfect clone anyway.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By j97531:

EE LINK

I'm not sure what markings are on either. The Brownells appears to be just the RAS and covers? No roll up bag/VFG, unless I'm missing something?

Both are legit choices and being that your are not piecing together a "perfect clone" the point is moot.

Older rail/accessories will be Vero Beach marked (a couple of variations, according to dating), newer will be Titusville marked and CAGE marked.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I found an "in action" photo of a Block 1 that I thought I would share.  M4, TA01NSN, PEQ2, KAC rail, side sling swivel, waffle stock.  A full on Block 1 showing definite combat use "over there."  This photo graphically demonstrates the absolute success of our present government and military leaders and their forward thinking progressive policies in reinforcing and supporting emerging governments of people thinking just like our present US leaders.  I am sure they are quite proud.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 1:24:24 AM EDT
[#37]
My dad just gave me a mint m951 light, but when I compared to the one I already have, the thumbscrews face different directions.  If placed on the right side, one has the thumbscrews pointing down, while the other points up.  Did surefire have different mounts?  I thought they weren’t reversible.  Did he give me a fake?
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 6:17:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yumago] [#38]
M4A1 Block 1 build is coming along, just waiting on more parts from SharkArms, which will hopefully ship out today. Wondering if I should go Aimpoint or ACOG, either way I will end up doing both.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By RichieRich562:
My dad just gave me a mint m951 light, but when I compared to the one I already have, the thumbscrews face different directions.  If placed on the right side, one has the thumbscrews pointing down, while the other points up.  Did surefire have different mounts?  I thought they weren't reversible.  Did he give me a fake?
View Quote
I have the same.

The 951 my brother gave me off his issued rifle has thumb screws on the left side (when looking down at the light). I was trying to clone it and bought one with the screws on the right.

They're legit, just slightly different timeframes. I don't know which was first, but my brother was in Afghanistan in 08-09 and his was new when they deployed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 1:22:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#41]
IIRC , there's been like 3 versions of the 951 bodies. I seem to maybe remember a reversible option but that may just be old age.

ETA: Likely just due differences in generations.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone have more pics of Block 1 PRs? Looking to do a Block 1.5 clone and looking for ideas.

Have a KAC RAS on the way already for my Colt upper
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By thatguybryan:
Anyone have more pics of Block 1 PRs? Looking to do a Block 1.5 clone and looking for ideas.

Have a KAC RAS on the way already for my Colt upper
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Wait...did dude tape over the lens of his Eotech? Yeah, I know the occluded sight/Bindon concept is a thing, but still.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Wait...did dude tape over the lens of his Eotech? Yeah, I know the occluded sight/Bindon concept is a thing, but still.
View Quote
Probably to delaminated and dim for the snow
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Just draw a red dot roughly in the middle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:15:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:30:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Air_Soft_Contractor] [#49]
Getting ready to assemble a Block II.

I have a government profile and a SOCOM profile barrel to choose from.

It seems heavy enough with the government profile barrel, but I don't know what else I would do with the SOCOM barrel.

Any tips on mounting the RIS II?

Blue Loctite on the bolts?

I usually degrease everything with strong alcohol, but the pandemic has caused it to go in short supply.

I have BrakeKlean and acetone, but don't like using strong chemical if I don't have too.

I degrease the barrel, gas block and gas block screws before Loctite.

The barrel nut, rail nut grease is going to get synthetic moly automotive grease in place of the aviation grease.

Same thickness / type of grease, just slightly lower moly content, which I doubt is really needed.

M84 charging handle, Colt upper, COLT BCG, B5 Gen 1 stock, 4 position extension, ambi selector, Geissele 3 Gun curved trigger for short reset enjoyment, DD MK12 gas block, Surefire 4 prong and Knight's flash hiders to choose and I got one of those Ergo grips, though my hands are larger than average, the Ergo grip seems to be one of largest.

My new Colt grip looks gray from the aluminum oxide blasting at the factory, but should turn black when wiped with oil, I hope.

I got a couple of Coyote A2 grips that look slightly lighter than the Knight;s taupe grip.

I have both black and tan B5 gen 1 SOPMOD stocks.

A new laser I haven't tried yet, optics and lights.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Air_Soft_Contractor:
Getting ready to assemble a Block II.

I have a government profile and a SOCOM profile barrel to choose from.

It seems heavy enough with the government profile barrel, but I don't know what else I would do with the SOCOM barrel.

Any tips on mounting the RIS II?

Blue Loctite on the bolts?

I usually degrease everything with strong alcohol, but the pandemic has caused it to go in short supply.

I have BrakeKlean and acetone, but don't like using strong chemical if I don't have too.

I degrease the barrel, gas block and gas block screws before Loctite.

The barrel nut, rail nut grease is going to get synthetic moly automotive grease in place of the aviation grease.

Same thickness / type of grease, just slightly lower moly content, which I doubt is really needed.

M84 charging handle, Colt upper, COLT BCG, B5 Gen 1 stock, 4 position extension, ambi selector, Geissele 3 Gun curved trigger for short reset enjoyment, DD MK12 gas block, Surefire 4 prong and Knight's flash hiders to choose and I got one of those Ergo grips, though my hands are larger than average, the Ergo grip seems to be one of largest.

My new Colt grip looks gray from the aluminum oxide blasting at the factory, but should turn black when wiped with oil, I hope.

I got a couple of Coyote A2 grips that look slightly lighter than the Knight;s taupe grip.

I have both black and tan B5 gen 1 SOPMOD stocks.

A new laser I haven't tried yet, optics and lights.
View Quote

BLOCK II THREAD

RIS II INSTRUCTIONS
Page / 231
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top