User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 232
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:56:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JF12:

What light is that if you don't mind me asking?
View Quote

[sub][/sub]
Streamlight ProTac.  It's not clone kosher but I needed a light on this rifle.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Will816] [#2]
So I've got my M4A1 clone about right here... I've done the Block II and CQBR clones and kinda thinking that I'd like to take this one to early/mid-GWOT Block II. Anyone have any suggestions? Probably swap the light and stock. And I can't decide on the optic. What would be most likely seen on an Army SF rifle from that time? TA01-NSN?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 6:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrRecon] [#3]

So, I built this a few months ago because I wanted a clone of the rifle I had in Iraq and the Infantry (same reason as most). I had a BCM M4 14.5" barrel on it, KAC 600m flip sight and an Aimpoint CompML2. It was pretty close (although I snagged an ACOG in Iraq) but I was missing the proper Aimpoint M4 and Matech sight. Anyway, I sold the upper and optic when I moved to AK.

But now I have a complete Colt LE6921 upper on the way along with a KAC RIS, Matech rear-sight and an Aimpoint M4s, so other than the lower it should be identical and I'm super stoked.

The lower is a registered SBR CMMG with a Geissle SSA-E trigger. The LMT SOPMOD is the same one I used in Iraq. It has some history and still some sand from Baquba and Mosul, lol. Eventually I'll get a Colt lower and SBR that.

I'll post pictures when it's complete. Everything should be arriving in the next week.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MrRecon:
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y495/BeardedMountainMan/Guns/M4_zpsxon15cwl.jpg

So, I built this a few months ago because I wanted a clone of the rifle I had in Iraq and the Infantry (same reason as most). I had a BCM M4 14.5" barrel on it, KAC 600m flip sight and an Aimpoint CompML2. It was pretty close (although I snagged an ACOG in Iraq) but I was missing the proper Aimpoint M4 and Matech sight. Anyway, I sold the upper and optic when I moved to AK.

But now I have a complete Colt LE6921 upper on the way along with a KAC RIS, Matech rear-sight and an Aimpoint M4s, so other than the lower it should be identical and I'm super stoked.

The lower is a registered SBR CMMG with a Geissle SSA-E trigger. The LMT SOPMOD is the same one I used in Iraq. It has some history and still some sand from Baquba and Mosul, lol. Eventually I'll get a Colt lower and SBR that.

I'll post pictures when it's complete. Everything should be arriving in the next week.
View Quote

Get yourself a 80% lower and engrave the same s/n that you had. That's how I did my IQ/AFG clone.

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]
That's a good idea! I need to find somebody who can let me use their drillpress and show me the ropes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a good idea! I need to find somebody who can let me use their drillpress and show me the ropes.
View Quote

Buy the 80% Arms jig and find someone with a press and buy/borrow a router.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Will816:
So I've got my M4A1 clone about right here... I've done the Block II and CQBR clones and kinda thinking that I'd like to take this one to early/mid-GWOT Block II. Anyone have any suggestions? Probably swap the light and stock. And I can't decide on the optic. What would be most likely seen on an Army SF rifle from that time? TA01-NSN?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213943/IMG-1401-102225.JPG
View Quote

I would add a CAR stock. Not sure on light, maybe a Surefire 951? For optics I would do either a TA01 NSN or a Comp M2.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By HD2006:

I would add a CAR stock. Not sure on light, maybe a Surefire 951? For optics I would do either a TA01 NSN or a Comp M2.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HD2006:
Originally Posted By Will816:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/213943/IMG-1401-102225.JPG

Yep, TA01 NSN and 951 , car stock.....
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Get yourself a 80% lower and engrave the same s/n that you had. That's how I did my IQ/AFG clone.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii33/perrymclovin/F3985531-675F-40AE-ABDF-0288369A9CA7_zpstufhcf1p.jpg
View Quote

i have 5 freshly engraved Colt 80%'ers fresh from the man himself, never milled out an 80 before, gonna be white knuckling the first one lol
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By drago6:

i have 5 freshly engraved Colt 80%'ers fresh from the man himself, never milled out an 80 before, gonna be white knuckling the first one lol
View All Quotes

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii33/perrymclovin/F3985531-675F-40AE-ABDF-0288369A9CA7_zpstufhcf1p.jpg

So how do you finish them after they are done?  Are they ceracoated or anodized?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

I'd recommend picking up a bare one to do your first one. I didn't mess mine up, but there were a few things I was not happy about. 2nd turned out damn near perfect.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By huey_crew_chief:

So how do you finish them after they are done?  Are they ceracoated or anodized?
View Quote

However you choose. I had mine Type III so it would be correct. Just gotta find a coater that has a FFL.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Anyone know what a 16" socom FN barrel is worth?
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:22:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrRecon] [#14]
She's done.
Colt LE6921 14.5" M4 upper
Colt bolt
Colt charging handle
KAC RIS
MATECH Rear Flip-up Sight
Aimpoint CompM4s
CMMG SBR Registered Lower
Geissele SSA-E Trigger
Magpul Trigger Guard (I didn't have this on my service rifle but I wish I did... being stationed in Alaska it was a bitch to get thick gloves through the stock trigger guard)
CAR Stock (I also have an LMT SOPMOD I used in Iraq but I know many of you are partial to the CAR)

Edit: She's almost done, I actually have a used Surefire M951 in the mail and then she'll be done.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Big_Husky:
Anyone know what a 16" socom FN barrel is worth?
View Quote

New colt barrels go for about 200-250 on gunbroker depending on whether they have gas tube, handguards, etc.  I'd say 175-200 if it's new, less if used.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Just an FYI on those that made 80% lowers then had them engraved for clone correct looks. In October I was able to send the completed lower to a reputable anodizer with a FFL 07 license to complete the process so I could finish my lower. A few days ago I was E-mailed by the anodizer telling me that during a routine inspection by the ATF, the ATF Auditor pulled mine and other lowers like mine aside for further review and asked the anodizer not to work on them until ATF made a determination. Today I was told by the anodizer that ATF picked up mine and the other lowers because the issue in question has to do with the engraving of the auto sear holes.  According to the ATF rules in question, marking the location of the sear hole can be considered a Machine Gun; ATF would send out a determination later. I don't get it since I had no intention or the parts to make a full auto, and had not drilled into the lower to install a sear. Guess I will have to call the Inspector tomorrow and find out what the problem is; I have never heard of this, nor have I ever heard that engraving makes a machine gun.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I took a buddy of mine out to shoot for the first time and he gravitated towards the M4 more than the others thanks to the ACOG. I love seeing someone enjoy a rifle that I ended up spending time finding parts and building slowly over time.

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 12:57:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By davekeller:
I took a buddy of mine out to shoot for the first time and he gravitated towards the M4 more than the others thanks to the ACOG. I love seeing someone enjoy a rifle that I ended up spending time finding parts and building slowly over time.

https://d3vv6lp55qjaqc.cloudfront.net/items/080Z1T2A0x1f393L122Y/evanm4a1-1.jpg?X-CloudApp-Visitor-Id=594338
View Quote

Great job getting a new shooter out! That paint looks great, I really like how flat it is.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:37:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By veeklog:
Just an FYI on those that made 80% lowers then had them engraved for clone correct looks. In October I was able to send the completed lower to a reputable anodizer with a FFL 07 license to complete the process so I could finish my lower. A few days ago I was E-mailed by the anodizer telling me that during a routine inspection by the ATF, the ATF Auditor pulled mine and other lowers like mine aside for further review and asked the anodizer not to work on them until ATF made a determination. Today I was told by the anodizer that ATF picked up mine and the other lowers because the issue in question has to do with the engraving of the auto sear holes.  According to the ATF rules in question, marking the location of the sear hole can be considered a Machine Gun; ATF would send out a determination later. I don't get it since I had no intention or the parts to make a full auto, and had not drilled into the lower to install a sear. Guess I will have to call the Inspector tomorrow and find out what the problem is; I have never heard of this, nor have I ever heard that engraving makes a machine gun.
View Quote

What did the inspector say?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:29:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#20]
View Quote

US Ano is overpriced anyways.
And Victor takes a very long time to reply back from emails. It took him a month to reply back to me.

There already a multi page thread in the legal subforum
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:23:28 AM EDT
[#21]

https://d3vv6lp55qjaqc.cloudfront.net/items/080Z1T2A0x1f393L122Y/evanm4a1-1.jpg?X-CloudApp-Visitor-Id=594338
View Quote

Very nice, what paint did you use if you don't mind me asking?  

Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Me too.  I almost get more fun watching my friends have fun shooting my rifles, than I do from shooting them myself.  Almost.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:59:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#23]
Question for the group: Page 1/OP says correct weapon light for the Block I is the Surefire 951/952, which as I understand it, the 951 is equipped with the thumbscrew mount and the 952 is equipped with the QD mount. What is the clone correct tailcap, because I'm pretty sure it's NOT the dual-switch assembly XM107 tailcap that I currently have. Is it the SW02? Anyone have pics of the "correct" light and tailcap ITW? Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:17:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohguy] [#25]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
Question for the group: Page 1/OP says correct weapon light for the Block I is the Surefire 951/952, which as I understand it, the 951 is equipped with the thumbscrew mount and the 952 is equipped with the QD mount. What is the clone correct tailcap, because I'm pretty sure it's NOT the dual-switch assembly XM107 tailcap that I currently have. Is it the SW02? Anyone have pics of the "correct" light and tailcap ITW? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Here's a 962 from my mk18. Its not exactly what you wanted, but it's a good reference.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:26:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthGuy] [#27]

Awesome.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Bohguy:

Here's a 962 from my mk18. Its not exactly what you wanted, but it's a good reference.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416607/IMG-1805-110882.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for the pic. SW02 tailcap pictured. Curious if there are any other pics or a definitive answer on this. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#29]
20161219_161827-01 by T B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:46:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steinhatchee] [#30]
View Quote

Just some general issue pics to help you, it's hard to find block I with lights.  Personally 951/952 with dual tail cap is fine but sw02 is more correct

Or just do a scout light
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#31]

Thanks for validating that, Steinhatchee; also the pics are appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 5:41:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrRecon] [#32]
View Quote

In '06 I had the push button and in '08 I got the dual with the pressure switch. In both of these you can see the dual. Not sure if this is the time-frame you're going for. Lots of units had a mixture of lights and there wasn't really one specific light. Here are some pics of mine I zoomed in on for the light. Also note mine did not have the quick disconnect.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
that is retarded. someone was looking for something to fuck with. if you have denial island in place you cant just drill a hole and drop in a sear. it wont even fit lol. i have a braceman lower and i milled it on a bridgeport and i put the denial island in there just in case someone someday would accuse me of trying to make a mg. it actually takes longer to make a semi lower because of going around denial island than just cutting a straight low shelf at .500 wide LOL. ATF, home of long waits and confusion on regs. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
that is retarded. someone was looking for something to fuck with. if you have denial island in place you cant just drill a hole and drop in a sear. it wont even fit lol. i have a braceman lower and i milled it on a bridgeport and i put the denial island in there just in case someone someday would accuse me of trying to make a mg. it actually takes longer to make a semi lower because of going around denial island than just cutting a straight low shelf at .500 wide LOL. ATF, home of long waits and confusion on regs. 
View Quote

"Denial Island" I like the sound of that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#35]
more cloneISH than a true clone
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:21:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#36]

"Denial Island" I like the sound of that.
View Quote

Yeah i got it from M2 semi builds YEARS ago. 

lower is spikes. upper is my 80. aint no way in HELL a sear will fit lol. 

free upload
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:22:22 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

The ATF Inspector returned my call today, and he sent mine and others lowers to technology section to determine if they violate Post 86 manufacturing of machine guns. I explained to him the issues that were brought up, to include the faux sear engraving, M-16 pocket milled out, and supposedly unique serial number to Colt(?) after answering  his questions, i told him I would have no problem talking to a ATF Special Agent and showing him my safe full of guns and that there was no intention or motivation to make a machine gun. I have no sear, trigger group, disconnected, or selector switch, so I have nothing to hide. He doesn't even know if a ATF Agent will talk to me and others , and technology will make the determination. I expect an answer from them between 6-9 months just like either a Form 1 or 4.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#38]

The ATF Inspector returned my call today, and he sent mine and others lowers to technology section to determine if they violate Post 86 manufacturing of machine guns. I explained to him the issues that were brought up, to include the faux sear engraving, M-16 pocket milled out, and supposedly unique serial number to Colt(?) after answering  his questions, i told him I would have no problem talking to a ATF Special Agent and showing him my safe full of guns and that there was no intention or motivation to make a machine gun. I have no sear, trigger group, disconnected, or selector switch, so I have nothing to hide. He doesn't even know if a ATF Agent will talk to me and others , and technology will make the determination. I expect an answer from them between 6-9 months just like either a Form 1 or 4.
View Quote

ABSURD. so ATF is going to tell you what your intentions are. RIIIIIIGHT. 

preposterous. intrusive. illegal. Infringing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Yet they're going to do it anyway and there's nothing you can do to stop them, and they know this
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#40]
dont stamped AK's have the spot marked for the third pin on the reciever with the "X" indent? 

there is so much fuckery going on at the ATF field office i cant even compute it. SOMEONE at ATF is bored at work apparently....
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#41]
dont stamped AK's have the spot marked for the third pin on the reciever with the "X" indent? 
View Quote

You'll have to be more specific.  There's a lot of "stamped" AKs out there with a range of receiver stamps and markings.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:45:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SGL_Shooter] [#42]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:
You'll have to be more specific.  There's a lot of "stamped" AKs out there with a range of receiver stamps and markings.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

I think he's talking about the X, I, and Y indents stamped where the FCG pin holes are drilled on AKs. The X is where the hammer pin goes, but the I and Y are where the safety sear pin would go on an FA AK.

Note these indents are not found on all AKs, ie Chinese.

ETA: Topic related question. I see 951/952 as the correct light for Block I. Does that include the tan 952V? When did those come out? I have a Wilcox mount and M68 on my M4A1 clone now, but the only lights I have are the M3X and 952V at the moment and I'd like to make it full Block I correct.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_SBR] [#43]

In '06 I had the push button and in '08 I got the dual with the pressure switch. In both of these you can see the dual. Not sure if this is the time-frame you're going for. Lots of units had a mixture of lights and there wasn't really one specific light. Here are some pics of mine I zoomed in on for the light. Also note mine did not have the quick disconnect.

http://www.montaska.com/pictures/sf1.jpg

http://www.montaska.com/pictures/sf2.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the pics and the firsthand info, MrRecon.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

At this point , I would retain legal representation. They have your property which they suspect is an illegal post 86 machine gun. The ATF does not operate on common sense and have a long track record of going out of their way to make criminals out of otherwise law abiding people. They will determine your intent and it will not be in your favor.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Some block I's with lights from Dec 03' when WWE visited 5th SFGA in Baghdad.

CD
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:

I think he's talking about the X, I, and Y indents stamped where the FCG pin holes are drilled on AKs. The X is where the hammer pin goes, but the I and Y are where the safety sear pin would go on an FA AK.

ETA: Topic related question. I see 951/952 as the correct light for Block I. Does that include the tan 952V? When did those come out? I have a Wilcox mount and M68 on my M4A1 clone now, but the only lights I have are the M3X and 952V at the moment and I'd like to make it full Block I correct.
View Quote

Looks like Summer of 2010 if I am reading the NSN info correctly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#47]

This is awesome. I definitely need a M203
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Good grief, man. You need to get an attorney, like...yesterday.

There is simply no way the ATF will determine your intent for you, and in your favor. Could be prison time at stake here...quit messing around.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By CSAKing:

This is awesome. I definitely need a M203
View Quote

If you find a receiver in stock, please let me know. I've been waiting for one to become available on Clyde's Armory forever.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SGL_Shooter:

Thanks
Page / 232
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top