AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 912
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 9:36:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hatexoc] [#3]
Received my SU-233 today along with my larue aimpoint mount. T-1 will be here Tuesday along with a NT4 and KAC stock sling QD thingy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 9:39:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Highlande2] [#4]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:

Originally Posted By Highlande2:
My humble contribution to the thread. Just nevermind the fake peq 15 it was just for the pic I think I might  look at the Dbal. Also still trying to decide a magnifier as well. Special thanks to KOBK.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z408/highlande2/1019121036.jpg

Which stock/color and or pistol grip?

The stock is LMT FDE and the pistol grip is Cav Arms Coyote brown
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Highlande2:

My humble contribution to the thread. Just nevermind the fake peq 15 it was just for the pic I think I might  look at the Dbal. Also still trying to decide a magnifier as well. Special thanks to KOBK.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z408/highlande2/1019121036.jpg

Looks good buddy!  Shoot soon.

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Kosher to buy a black m3x and just paint it tan? :P
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By silhouette_:

Kosher to buy a black m3x and just paint it tan? :P

Painted > unpainted.

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 10:11:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By hatexoc:
Received my SU-233 today along with my larue aimpoint mount. T-1 will be here Tuesday along with a NT4 and KAC stock sling QD thingy.
http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii640/hatexoc/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_2689.jpg

Looks good! Lmk if you ever decide to sell the ta01
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Will816:
Originally Posted By tdoggy1:
A Navy SEAL doesnt have to win an oscar

Exactly

Nobody is questioning the reputations and character of the SEALs - that aside, I would rather watch Sponge Bob Square Pants for 7 hours straight than sit through Act of Valor again...thats how bad it was.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

Exactly

Nobody is questioning the reputations and character of the SEALs - that aside, I would rather watch Sponge Bob Square Pants for 7 hours straight than sit through Act of Valor again...thats how bad it was.

I've watched it 3 times, loved it each time

Pic thread:
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 11:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Exactly

That's rough. I've watched it 3 times, twice in theatres. Loved it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:

Exactly

Agreed. Only watched it once, but acting aside, it's a good flick.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 2:00:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Exactly

Pic thread:

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae213/Will816/20cafbc4.jpg
How are you liking the CQT? I had one and sold it. I just couldn't bring myself to like it. Maybe I should have gave it more time.

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 3:49:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DonnieBrasco:

Exactly

Pic thread:
http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae213/Will816/20cafbc4.jpg
How are you liking the CQT? I had one and sold it. I just couldn't bring myself to like it. Maybe I should have gave it more time.

I like it a lot. It's a good option for something similar to the Elcan Specter but a lot cheaper. The methods and feel of shooting with it are actually extremely similar to the Elcan. They did unfortunately raise the price recently to something like $1100, and I don't think it's worth that, but the original pricing of around $600 was excellent for what you get out of it. I wouldn't mind a more complex reticle (I think they actually have an optional BDC reticle now) but other than that its great. It lives on a Colt Competition Rifle for the time being but will need to find a new home when I get a Mark 6 1-6x for that rifle. I think it's a robust do-it-all optic, don't think I'll ever get rid of it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:

Exactly

I as well loved it all 3 viewings.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Elcan released a limited amount of FDE optics with the commercial  reticle this year.  From what I understand FDE is very hard to get anodizing to match so that would account for the color variations.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 1:08:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#18]
Originally Posted By new-arguy:
Can some of you who are really familiar with Elcan's help me out a little? I found a few in the FDE color, and they were new and shrink wrapped from Elcan, but... the finish looks a little uneven and they have the commercial reticle. Anyone know the story behind these?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/524883_507366105959956_771435202_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/190347_507365872626646_647670837_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/711_507365625960004_1802613835_n.jpg

Probably due in large part to the popularity of this thread, and the high premiums some members were paying for FDE coated SpectreDRs, someone finally realized that it might be worth coating a couple standard commercial models in the color.  

Raytheon still maintains that the 1996 vintage TA01NSN reticule is "SOCOM proprietary," though, and claims they cannot use it in commercial models, so it was released with the commercial reticule.  

FDE anodizing has always been problematic with consistency - and the "overruns" that many of us have are rumored to have been available because they were rejected for cosmetic issues.  Several companies have tried and abandoned FDE anodizing, with only a few notable exceptions.  

One wonders how many "anodizing rejects" DD gets when making FDE RIS IIs, and whether or not they'd ever consider selling them as "seconds" to satisfy the huddled masses, longing for an FDE RIS II.  

Obviously as they don't have the "SOCOM reticule" and aren't contract overruns, they're not marked "SU-230/PVS."  

Honestly, I'm not sure if the effort has been successful or not, because a lot of the people paying premiums for the FDE ones were doing it because it was the "real McCoy."  

Also, the commercial reticule instead of the "SOCOM reticule" turns potential buyers like me off, who could care less about the markings, but wanted the FDE version for the cleaner, crisper, and more familiar (and non-machine gun) reticule.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#20]
At $1870, they aren't cheap, but they aren't selling for the prices I have seen some sell for.

At $1870 you've got the best price I've seen for the commercial fde optic.  If I didn't just get a deal on a SOCOM su230 I would have bought one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#21]
At $1870, they aren't cheap, but they aren't selling for the prices I have seen some sell for.

I want one!
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#22]

I want one!

That's about what the black/gray model sells for - they're either getting more common these days, or more people have at least seen one before compared to when I first got one.  

Glad I got mine before the overruns got overrun.  

It'd be nice if I knew I could buy more if I ever won the lottery, though.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Augee:
Can some of you who are really familiar with Elcan's help me out a little? I found a few in the FDE color, and they were new and shrink wrapped from Elcan, but... the finish looks a little uneven and they have the commercial reticle. Anyone know the story behind these?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/524883_507366105959956_771435202_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/190347_507365872626646_647670837_n.jpg

Probably due in large part to the popularity of this thread, and the high premiums some members were paying for FDE coated SpectreDRs, someone finally realized that it might be worth coating a couple standard commercial models in the color.  

Raytheon still maintains that the 1996 vintage TA01NSN reticule is "SOCOM proprietary," though, and claims they cannot use it in commercial models, so it was released with the commercial reticule.  

FDE anodizing has always been problematic with consistency - and the "overruns" that many of us have are rumored to have been available because they were rejected for cosmetic issues.  Several companies have tried and abandoned FDE anodizing, with only a few notable exceptions.  

One wonders how many "anodizing rejects" DD gets when making FDE RIS IIs, and whether or not they'd ever consider selling them as "seconds" to satisfy the huddled masses, longing for an FDE RIS II.  

Obviously as they don't have the "SOCOM reticule" and aren't contract overruns, they're not marked "SU-230/PVS."  

Honestly, I'm not sure if the effort has been successful or not, because a lot of the people paying premiums for the FDE ones were doing it because it was the "real McCoy."  

Also, the commercial reticule instead of the "SOCOM reticule" turns potential buyers like me off, who could care less about the markings, but wanted the FDE version for the cleaner, crisper, and more familiar (and non-machine gun) reticule.  

~Augee

I bought one of the limited run civilian FDE models and I couldn't be happier.  The reticle and the lack of the SU-230 marking on the side was initially a turn off, but its still an Elcan Specter DR - the build quality is the same and the differences aren't significant enough to not want to buy one (for me anyway).

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#24]

The Elcan in question is now mine!

Thanks, I can't wait to get it!  It may not be an SU-230 but for the price it's hard to beat.  I'll give it a good look over and post more pics of the finish so others can see.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 4:48:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#25]

I bought one of the limited run civilian FDE models and I couldn't be happier.  The reticle and the lack of the SU-230 marking on the side was initially a turn off, but its still an Elcan Specter DR - the build quality is the same and the differences aren't significant enough to not want to buy one (for me anyway).

Sorry, not meaning to imply that the limited run FDE ones are or should be a failure, like I said, I'm honestly not sure whether they're flying off the shelves, selling at the same rate as the black/gray ones, or rotting in dealer stocks.  

An almost $2,000 is almost always going to be a slow seller (though Ken at Kerif might not have thought so a year ago ).  I'm nevertheless quite glad they offered it, if nothing else, it shows that Raytheon sees and hears the civilian market and is willing to be responsive if enough people seem to want something (take a close look, L3!  Class I PEQ-15!).  

I was just offering reasons it might not be as successful as simply releasing more "SOF Overrruns."  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry, not meaning to imply that the limited run FDE ones are or should be a failure, like I said, I'm honestly not sure whether they're flying off the shelves, selling at the same rate as the black/gray ones, or rotting in dealer stocks.  

An almost $2,000 is almost always going to be a slow seller (though Ken at Kerif might not have thought so a year ago ).  I'm nevertheless quite glad they offered it, if nothing else, it shows that Raytheon sees and hears the civilian market and is willing to be responsive if enough people seem to want something (take a close look, L3!  Class I PEQ-15!).  

I was just offering reasons it might not be as successful as simply releasing more "SOF Overrruns."  

~Augee

I hear ya, brother.  I'll give them a concession that they may have had to operate at capacity to produce the number of those suckers (and the PEQ-16) that the military wanted, so that may be a factor in not seeing a civilian product, and also is the fact that it may not be as simple as dropping Class I diodes into the existing circuits and housings, as is evident in the difference between the DBAL-D2 and and the PEQ-15A (DBAL-A2).  But the fact remains: if Insight made a Class 1 product that looked and operated like a PEQ-15, they would likely fly off the shelves!
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Still glad I paid $1600 for mine, I only wished I had used a different vendor, but that's water under the bridge now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#28]

~Augee

I hear ya.  For me it was the FDE color that pretty much sold me. And the fact that any SU-230s are all going to be second hand at this point if you want one.  The fact that this one was in FDE and brand new is what made me jump on one when they recently came out. I wonder if others have felt similar?

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:15:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zemperfi1971] [#29]
Sorry I even bothered to post pictures of my build. Was posted in a moment of perceived camaraderie of folks with like appreciation.
My sensitivity towards name calling and rudeness of some members made me rethink that I should just have kept to myself like I have always done.
For those with kind words, Thank you...and God Bless.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:25:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot] [#30]

Originally Posted By zemperfi1971:

Still missing a couple of things (silencer etc.etc.)...but pretty happy with the build.  I know the stock should be different but I really like the UBR gives the whole setup and stability.

That and the heavy barrel does add weight but just means more exercise as if my Dragonskin set up is not heavy enough.

Great varmint rig....lol...slight overkill...way to easy.

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx126/Znzytivguy/IMG_0440.jpg

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx126/Znzytivguy/IMG_0439.jpg

~ Deleted This is not GD. ~

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Still missing a couple of things (silencer etc.etc.)...but pretty happy with the build.  I know the stock should be different but I really like the UBR gives the whole setup and stability.
That and the heavy barrel does add weight but just means more exercise.

Where the heck did this guy come from? Nice stuff dude!
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Sex!
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 12:11:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Texan_Ninja] [#33]
Here is my humble build as it sits, I just need to decide on an optic and a different light mount.

Sorry for the crappy picture, the lighting sucks. I’ll have a better one tomorrow.

Specs:

Colt LE6920 “M4 Carbine” (Base Gun)
Colt SOCOM 14.5 in. barrel
DD RIS II
KAC NT4 flash hider ( pinning/spacer by ADCO )
LMT SOPMOD Gen. 1
BCM/VLTOR Gunfighter Mod. 4 CH
Tango Down BG-16
KAC taupe front sight
KAC 200m-600m micro
MagPul AFG ( haters gonna hate )
CQD sling mount
BFG VCAS padded sling w/ MASH hook and cover
Surefire M600C w/ KX2C head

I’m trying to figure out which optic and offset light mount to go with. I’ve narrowed it down to:

Optic:

a.) Aimpoint T-1/H-1 2MOA version
b.) EoTech 553 Tan

Light Mount:

a.) Larue offset mount
b.)Gear Sector offset mount

Any suggestions? I know he optics are going to come down to personal choice, and I plan on at least looking through each one. I’m leaning towards the Aimpoint, but since I’ll be doing quite a bit of hog hunting with this, I’m not sure the single 2MOA dot will perform as well as the EoTech against moving targets.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 5:16:43 AM EDT
[#34]
I had an aimpoint on my fsp block 2, went to a 553, shot with it twice and sold it to go back to an aimpoint.
Go play with both if you can and see which reticle you like, for me the circle got too much in the way but others swear by it . Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 7:25:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#35]
Still missing a couple of things (silencer etc.etc.)...but pretty happy with the build.  I know the stock should be different but I really like the UBR gives the whole setup some stability.

Is that a no-shit SU-232/PAS?  How much'd that run you?  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 8:02:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Still missing a couple of things (silencer etc.etc.)...but pretty happy with the build.  I know the stock should be different but I really like the UBR gives the whole setup some stability.

Holy shitballs.

Link Posted: 10/21/2012 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#38]

%#@* me!

He win's

Is $350.00 a good price for a RIS II FSB ?
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By kbi:

%#@* me!

He win's

Is $350.00 a good price for a RIS II FSB ?

If its new, then that's a pretty good deal. If its used, you can do better. I  got my RIS II for $300 used.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By The_Texan_Ninja:
Here is my humble build as it sits, I just need to decide on an optic and a different light mount.

Sorry for the crappy picture, the lighting sucks. I’ll have a better one tomorrow.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k581/The_Texan_Ninja/photo-1766.jpg

Specs:

Colt LE6920 “M4 Carbine” (Base Gun)
Colt SOCOM 14.5 in. barrel
DD RIS II
KAC NT4 flash hider ( pinning/spacer by ADCO )
LMT SOPMOD Gen. 1
BCM/VLTOR Gunfighter Mod. 4 CH
Tango Down BG-16
KAC taupe front sight
KAC 200m-600m micro
MagPul AFG ( haters gonna hate )
CQD sling mount
BFG VCAS padded sling w/ MASH hook and cover
Surefire M600C w/ KX2C head

I’m trying to figure out which optic and offset light mount to go with. I’ve narrowed it down to:

Optic:

a.) Aimpoint T-1/H-1 2MOA version
b.) EoTech 553 Tan

Light Mount:

a.) Larue offset mount
b.)Gear Sector offset mount

Any suggestions? I know he optics are going to come down to personal choice, and I plan on at least looking through each one. I’m leaning towards the Aimpoint, but since I’ll be doing quite a bit of hog hunting with this, I’m not sure the single 2MOA dot will perform as well as the EoTech against moving targets.

What part if tx are you in? You're welcome to try my t1 2 moa.
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Just a heads up if anyone is looking for a fde ris II fsp there is one in the EE for 315 nib. I would snag it if I didn't need an optic for my 1.5 =/
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_22/1048129_Fall_Clearance_Sale.html
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm getting dang impatient waiting for DD to put out more M4A1 RIS II's in FDE for my custom build thru them.

I'm getting close to saying screw it, picking up a factory Noveske, and dressing it up in the FDE accessories I've had laying around for the Block II I've been waiting for.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:
I'm getting dang impatient waiting for DD to put out more M4A1 RIS II's in FDE for my custom build thru them.

I'm getting close to saying screw it, picking up a factory Noveske, and dressing it up in the FDE accessories I've had laying around for the Block II I've been waiting for.

Yea Brownell's said earliest would be December.  I couldn't handle the wait so I purchased a complete upper from another forum member.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By thesocialistnetwork:
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

Yea Brownell's said earliest would be December.  I couldn't handle the wait so I purchased a complete upper from another forum member.

Well that Brownells. I've been told by DD that parts for their custom builds take top priority, so I'd imagine some will be available thru them directly before Brownells.

I put in a call to the guy I've been dealing with at DD earlier, and am waiting to hear back from him. If he says I can expect my rifle in the next couple weeks, I'll wait.

If not, I'm gonna pick up a complete Noveske.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, DD is telling me they should be able to start custom building me a rifle with a RIS II in FDE by late next week.

Or I can snag one of these tomorrow:

Click

I think I'll hold out for the DD, but I've got $2,500 burning a hole in my pocket, and a factory Noveske would also be a nice addition.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Anyone have an Elcan MRDS mount they don't need? Hit me up if so!
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone tried one of the Micor flash suppressors yet?  

I just picked one up, they look pretty similar to the KAC M4QD comp minus the helical ports that are supposedly matched to the barrel twist.  

Not sure I buy the whole "increasing accuracy" bit, but the Vortex helical tines seem to work pretty well for the flash suppression bit, and the Micors are little longer (say, about .2") than the M4QD, and should get a barrel up to 16" if permanently pinned, and are supposedly compatible with the NT4, though unfortunately I won't be able to test that theory for several many months.  

Might be a good option for another muzzle device for those that don't want to go SBR.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 6:52:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut003] [#48]
Anyone tried one of the Micor flash suppressors yet?  

I just picked one up, they look pretty similar to the KAC M4QD comp minus the helical ports that are supposedly matched to the barrel twist.  

Not sure I buy the whole "increasing accuracy" bit, but the Vortex helical tines seem to work pretty well for the flash suppression bit, and the Micors are little longer (say, about .2") than the M4QD, and should get a barrel up to 16" if permanently pinned, and are supposedly compatible with the NT4, though unfortunately I won't be able to test that theory for several many months.  

Might be a good option for another muzzle device for those that don't want to go SBR.  

~Augee

Yuck...not cloneish enough....j/k...

On the PERM attach of the KAC M4QD, though, I think I can get away with the overall length with just 2.5 peel washers...(Which sure beats a $35 spacer plus shipping)...$35 may not seem a lot, but I have to multiply it by 3...... I can perm them at home with silver solder.   (I dont want to fire up the drill press or welder,)
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 7:37:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: silhouette_] [#49]
Got my upper today from cmcflex.  The lower is going to get hit with paint same with the upper. Idk if I will paint the rail though. Now I just need to get my 1.5 put together and get a few other items for both and  voila.
Just need kac taupe front buis, vfg or afg, m600 light and a few other misc things.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By silhouette_:
Got my upper today from cmcflex.  The lower is going to get hit with paint same with the upper. Idk if I will paint the rail though. Now I just need to get my 1.5 put together and get a few other items for both and  voila.
Just need kac taupe front buis, vfg or afg, m600 light and a few other misc things.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2pyokfs.jpg

Where in tx are you? It'd love to go shoot!
Page / 912
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top