Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 908
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dysfunction:
Is there a list of "approved" or "seen in the wild" pistol grips for Block 2's? Just did a carbine class and although the A2 grip didn't hinder me... it just sucks.
View Quote

MOE...ergo....those are the 2 that pop to mind
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there a list of "approved" or "seen in the wild" pistol grips for Block 2's? Just did a carbine class and although the A2 grip didn't hinder me... it just sucks.
View Quote

Miads are kosher iirc.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

there's hardly a modern grip that hasn't been "seen in the wild", TD, Ergo, MIAD, MOE, CAA, Hogue, Stark, yes, even the grip of shame, don't remember seeing a K2 or BCM yet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

I believe Ergo and MIAD have been seen.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I know this isn't clone appropriate but does anyone know if a surefire FH556-411A will fit on an ar-15?  The thread pattern is the same but I didn't know if there was some other difference I missed. The reason I ask is I know someone selling one pretty cheap and would save me a decent amount rather than buying a different fh whether is be 3 prong or other.  Thanks for the reply in advance.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Jellis71985:
I know this isn't clone appropriate but does anyone know if a surefire FH556-411A will fit on an ar-15?  The thread pattern is the same but I didn't know if there was some other difference I missed. The reason I ask is I know someone selling one pretty cheap and would save me a decent amount rather than buying a different fh whether is be 3 prong or other.  Thanks for the reply in advance.
View Quote

Definitely not the ideal place to ask that question.

When you say "AR-15", that's a very broad term so I can only respond with a general answer. So, the general answer would be yes, all you really care about with an end mount suppressor like that one (I had to google it to see exactly what it was) are the threads. Threads are threads, anything that's 1/2x28 (and not a 9mm pistol barrel) will take that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have decided to try the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 even though it's not clone approved.  The rest of the firearm is...

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By romad99:
I have decided to try the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 even though it's not clone approved.  The rest of the firearm is...

<a href="http://s805.photobucket.com/user/romad99/media/Mobile%20Uploads/61E25DA5-5531-448C-B5E3-6A52DEBB1EC5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy333/romad99/Mobile%20Uploads/61E25DA5-5531-448C-B5E3-6A52DEBB1EC5.jpg</a>
View Quote

I'd run it :)
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#9]
If I get rid of my block ii upper, will I regret it?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:20:47 AM EDT
[#10]

<a href="http://s805.photobucket.com/user/romad99/media/Mobile%20Uploads/61E25DA5-5531-448C-B5E3-6A52DEBB1EC5.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy333/romad99/Mobile%20Uploads/61E25DA5-5531-448C-B5E3-6A52DEBB1EC5.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice.

I ran a PST 2.5-10x32 FFP on my Block II for awhile...was a great combination.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:22:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By NapeSticksToKids:
View Quote

You'll regret it if it's not sold for a CQBR upper...or another 14.5" upper that's lighter and more accurate.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:26:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

You'll regret it if it's not sold for a CQBR upper...or another 14.5" upper that's lighter and more accurate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The colt socom barrel seems damn accurate to me, better than I thought it would be.

Sucker is just damn heavy, and I don't use 90% of the rail space. I've been looking at the geissele rails a lot recently. The block II just LOOKS so beastly though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 1:33:48 AM EDT
[#13]

The colt socom barrel seems damn accurate to me, better than I thought it would be.

Sucker is just damn heavy, and I don't use 90% of the rail space. I've been looking at the geissele rails a lot recently. The block II just LOOKS so beastly though.
View All Quotes

Yep. The RIS II is a dang heavy handguard.

It works well with the CQBR because it's shorter and combined with a 10.3" barrel - so you don't notice the heft.

This is why I consider Block IIs to be better suited as RECCEs and SPRs. They're heavy, and capable of solid accuracy and distance.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

See that's EXACTLY why I didn't build mine with a SOCOM barrel; it's a goddamn tank. I used a BCM midlength .gov profile and I have zero regrets about that decision. Next thing I'm doing to my Blk II is painting the rail; the FDE is just too dark for my liking.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Which Larue mount is that?
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By slowkota1:
Which Larue mount is that?
View Quote

LT 104.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 2:40:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#17]
::shrug::

I'm agnostic about the weight of the Block II versus the KAC RAS.  

Love the capability of the RIS II - will admit the weight and balance of the RAS is better - but don't know that I can bring myself to give up the RIS II for that - there's a huge shift in balance can on and can off anyways - so you're never going to get 100% consistency.

That being said, the RIS II balances much better with the can - trying to keep your hand on a carbine length forend without "chicken choking" a VFG with a can at the end of a 14.5" barrel is not the most comfortable way to shoot...

Ultimately, IMHO, it's kinda splitting hairs... the RIS II is damned solid - yeah, it's a little heavier than some other options - but probably for rigidity and solidity, like the NT4, you could say it's a little dated - but you aint gonna say it's not a rock.

Then again, mostly because I'm too busy and too poor for anything else, but for the most part, I haven't shot another rifle besides my Block II for any significant amount for a couple months - every little 5.56 or .223 pill I can get my grubby little paws on goes down that 14.5" barrel.  

There's a Block II M4A1 clone in there somewhere - "non-clone kosher" Raptor charging handle and all.  

I'm also happy to say the puppy aint gun shy at all, thinks nothing of a range day, except lots of fun!

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Augee:

Love the capability of the RIS II - will admit the weight and balance of the RAS is better - but don't know that I can bring myself to give up the RIS II for that - there's a huge shift in balance can on and can off anyways - so you're never going to get 100% consistency.

That being said, the RIS II balances much better with the can - trying to keep your hand on a carbine length forend without "chicken choking" a VFG with a can at the end of a 14.5" barrel is not the most comfortable way to shoot...

Ultimately, IMHO, it's kinda splitting hairs... the RIS II is damned solid - yeah, it's a little heavier than some other options - but probably for rigidity and solidity, like the NT4, you could say it's a little dated - but you aint gonna say it's not a rock.

Then again, mostly because I'm too busy and too poor for anything else, but for the most part, I haven't shot another rifle besides my Block II for any significant amount for a couple months - every little 5.56 or .223 pill I can get my grubby little paws on goes down that 14.5" barrel.  

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/augeekim002/DOGSEC_zps5671eb52.jpg

There's a Block II M4A1 clone in there somewhere - "non-clone kosher" Raptor charging handle and all.  

I'm also happy to say the puppy aint gun shy at all, thinks nothing of a range day, except lots of fun!

~Augee
View Quote

Nice pink sling.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:12:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AF_K9] [#19]
Pic taken in Iraq circa 2009 while I was attached to a 10th SFG (A) ODA.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By AF_K9:

<a href="http://s783.photobucket.com/user/AF_K9/media/ODA_RANGE003.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy111/AF_K9/ODA_RANGE003.jpg</a>
View Quote

That is a Block II CQBR and belong here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/641240_Official_Mk18_and_CQBR_Photo_and_Discussion_Thread.html

Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 5:37:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: G_MAN] [#21]

<a href="http://s783.photobucket.com/user/AF_K9/media/ODA_RANGE003.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy111/AF_K9/ODA_RANGE003.jpg</a>
View Quote

This is a clone thread, not a real Mk18 thread,

what front and rear sling attachments were you running?
both SF guys who posted in here were running the same Ergo rail covers, as well as Augee, and have barely been seen on any others.

edit: oops, this isn't even the mk18 clone thread
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By G_MAN:

both SF guys who posted in here were running the same Ergo rail covers, as well as Augee, and have barely been seen on any others.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By G_MAN:

The RIS II used to come with some of the Ergo rail covers instead of all ladders.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#23]

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/augeekim002/DOGSEC_zps5671eb52.jpg

~Augee
View Quote

Dogsec

My dogs are so damn nonchalant about gunshots that they'll try to walk right on down the range while I'm shooting. I had to start leaving them at the house except for Larl the Wunder Cur (avatar). He's the only one that'll stay put when I tell him to.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#24]
that is fkn cool

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#25]

~Augee
View Quote

I wasn't going to replace it with a PR. Probably a URX or geissele.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#26]

~Augee
View Quote

RIPITS!!!!

I make a run to Dollar General about once a month and snag up a case. Brings back great memories
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

RIPITS!!!!

I make a run to Dollar General about once a month and snag up a case. Brings back great memories
View All Quotes

~Augee

RIPITS!!!!

While I never drank them over there, I know what you mean.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#28]

~Augee
View Quote

And with my favorite flavored rip it no less! Nice pup and rifle.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BePhreed:

View All Quotes

~Augee

Power is the hands down best.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Tmender03:

While I never drank them over there, I know what you mean.
View Quote

Practically lived off them. Me and my roomie in Iraq (the 2nd time) had a RipIt tower on our home made tv table. We once got up to around 120 cans between the 2 of us. We were the backup stock when the DFAC would run out
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

~Augee

Power is nice because it can be drank at any temp. Hands down best when cold is the Citrus though
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#33]
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t281/drb022/1_zps12877d34.jpeg

Yes it does, Mr. Wayne!

Just picked this baby up from Cheaper Than Dirt as a starting point for my second clone build. Since this one comes with a black RIS II, I had the idea to do an all black clone. I already have a black M3X and dual pressure switch. Next up for this one is a black EOTech 553 and DBAL-D2!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t281/drb022/2_zps0a62e1c8.jpeg
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm glad I found this thread.   I never really fell in love with my M4gery but believe I can be happier with it if I rebuild it to M4A1 specs,

and that includes getting the tax stamp to SBR it so I can use the correct barrel.

A rifle that has a flattop upper but a fixed A2 style FSB is just LAME.

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Power is nice because it can be drank at any temp. Hands down best when cold is the Citrus though
View All Quotes

~Augee

The only citrus we got was sugar free . We had Pom though. That was good too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:07:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:

I'm glad I found this thread.   I never really fell in love with my M4gery but believe I can be happier with it if I rebuild it to M4A1 specs,

and that includes getting the tax stamp to SBR it so I can use the correct barrel.

View Quote

You can't be serious?

courtesy of JShepard

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#37]
It never made any sense to me.

Both fixed or both detachable.   Those options, I agree with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#38]

It never made any sense to me.

Both fixed or both detachable.   Those options, I agree with.
View Quote

That's where the old "get both" mentality comes in.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:36:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentMark] [#39]

View Quote

Lies, all lies!

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:43:17 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

That's not gonna go over well in this crowd. It's not lame at all, it's solid and proven. If I could do my Block II again I'd do it with the FSP rail.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:54:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Count me in the camp of FSPs being unnecessary and adding no more than potential problems.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some FSP rigs that get me all tingly inside for sure. They can and do look badass.

With that said, all they do is obstruct your sight picture on an RDS or 1x variable optic.

They also add unnecessary weight, and if you fuck up an exposed FSP, then you've fucked up your gas block. And I shouldn't need to tell anyone what happens with a fucked up gas block...
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#42]

Count me in the camp of FSPs being unnecessary and adding no more than potential problems.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some FSP rigs that get me all tingly inside for sure. They can and do look badass.

With that said, all they do is obstruct your sight picture on an RDS or 1x variable optic.

They also add unnecessary weight, and if you fuck up an exposed FSP, then you've fucked up your gas block. And I shouldn't need to tell anyone what happens with a fucked up gas block...
View Quote

This.

Though I do think they look badass (FSPs), I much prefer the sight picture through my 553 with absolutely nothing in front of it - it's a no brainer for me when choosing.

Optics have vastly improved the performance of modern day fighting rifles - fixed sights just get in the way. The fact that guys are running rifles in combat zones without even backup sights (both front and rear) is a testament to just how effective modern day optics are, how reliable they are, and how FSPs are a thing of the past.

That's my take on it anyway - I could be totally off base.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Sooooo about stocks... LMT makes a $250 one, B5 makes a $60 one that looks the same. I know the B5 doesn't have battery compartments, but is there something I'm missing here?

Just wondering why everyone and their Moms have it in this thread. I'ts not even officially a Block II upgrade. And I've seen waaaaay more pictures of Rangers with a MOE stock than with the LMT.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#44]
B5 and LMT SOPMOD stocks are functionally identical...
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By drb022:

Sooooo about stocks... LMT makes a $250 one, B5 makes a $60 one that looks the same. I know the B5 doesn't have battery compartments, but is there something I'm missing here?

Just wondering why everyone and their Moms have it in this thread. I'ts not even officially a Block II upgrade. And I've seen waaaaay more pictures of Rangers with a MOE stock than with the LMT.
View Quote

LMT used to have the contract for the SOPMOD stock.

B5 now has the contract.

Black B5s are .gov issued stocks...
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:07:17 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:20:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#47]

RIPITS!!!!

View Quote

The better half found them for sale at the Commissary last time she went - asked me if I wanted her to pick some up, because I'd go nuts whenever there was a Dollar General around saying "I NEED TO GET A RIP IT!"

Asked me how many I wanted - I said, "I dunno - ten?"

I meant ten cans.  

The better half came back with ten cases (of four).  

I didn't complain - reminded me of the old days!  

My guys would go camp out by the DFAC right while they were about to restock when we'd come back from night LP/OPs and stock all of our trucks.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:02:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#48]

View Quote

That $60 one you're talking about is the B5 Bravo, not the same as the LMT SOPMOD or B5 SOPMOD.

B5 also make a exact copy of the LMT SOPMOD (which they produce for .mil contracts) that sells for around $90-$100.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:06:16 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

To start with you're conflating the B5 Enhanced SOPMOD with the Bravo model.

The LMT SOPMOD Gen. II retails for around $199, the B5 Enhanced SOPMOD (same thing as the Gen. II) retails for around $96 - still a big price difference for an essentially identical part, but not as huge as you make it out to be - and those are the rough retail prices - not the "street prices."

The B5 Bravo is a different stock - it shares some similarities to and evolved out of the SOPMOD - but it's not the same stock - it's different in a lot of details.  

Incidentally - the "SOPMOD" stock was developed...

...for the SOPMOD program.  

No, it's not "Block II" specific - but it's been an optional upgrade for SOPMOD M4s for over ten years now.  

For the folks that have 'em... I suspect it's because they like 'em - you'll see a lot of SOPMODs in the other AR picture threads, too, it's a popular stock.  So are other "sloping cheekweld" stocks, of which LMT was one of the earliest - hence for every guy you see in another thread that has a Vltor EMOD or MagPul ACS or STR or some other sloping cheekweld stock, a certain percentage when building a "clone" will figure "I'll go spec" and get the SOPMOD for this particular build.  

For those that don't want to use it... they don't have to - the CAR and M4 are both "spec" for original equipment - plus, as you've noted, there are plenty of CTRs and MOEs, and many other stocks out there - not to mention the fact that of the parts that an end-user can switch to fit their personal needs/desires, the stock assembly is easily the... well, easiest to change - even the pistol grip requires a long screwdriver - as do most VFGs/other grips - not to mention, most chains of command, even on the conventional side are going to be the least squirrely about you changing a stock than say changing your issued optic out.  

On to other topics...

"If" I end up building another Block II upper (not that I really need one... ) it'll probably end up being an FSP -

I'm really pretty much indifferent to iron sights at this point on full length railed carbines at this point - I do love the "look" frankly, of the old MRE-style builds and FSP rails, but that's not going to be my primary concern, as in - if I do build an FSP Block II upper it will be my third Block II upper.  

I did have an FSP upper for a while - honestly, more than anything what was most annoying was installing the damned thing - life's just too short (the only thing more fun was that Armalite FSP-cutout FF tube on my "retro" carbine build ) - and, from what I both have heard rumored, and suspect - it was a large part of the reason that Block IIs ended up showing with the M16A4 RIS II and MK 12 gasblocks instead of the M4A1 RIS II FSP as was originally intended what the RIS II was first adopted.  

That's with full length rails/handguards - for an exposed gas block, I prefer the FSB - I suppose you could shave it to get the actual FS out of your LOS, but once again - I'm kind of indifferent - and the FSB is the strongest gas block going if you're going to run it exposed - through the optic, I don't mind it in the least - frankly between focusing on the target and the red dot/reticule I don't think I even notice it, plus, back before RDS were an "everybody" thing - you used to train to "shoot off the front sight post" for close quarters - not that I use it much or think it's a necessity - but the old muscle memory for it's still back there rattling around in my head - so I figure if I've got an exposed gas block - and the barrel came from the factory with the FSB installed - why bother doing anything about it, when I can still use if that way?  

The one thing I absolutely do hate though - is fixed rear irons on anything other than a dedicated iron-sighted rifle - which these days for me usually means fixed carry handle upper.  Which means IF I'm using BUIS at all - I could care less about fixed or folding front - but the rear I very much prefer to be folding.  It's actually a crisis of identity when I look at Block I CQBRs with cut-carry handle or LMT rears.  Looks cool as hell - but I cringe whenever I think about the sight picture - I do still have my rattle-canned LMT rear to try on once and a while to remind myself how much I hate it.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:25:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tmender03] [#50]

View Quote

Edit: Augee pretty much summed it up.
Page / 908
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top