Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 912
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By G_MAN:

This is a clone thread, not a real Mk18 thread,

what front and rear sling attachments were you running?
both SF guys who posted in here were running the same Ergo rail covers, as well as Augee, and have barely been seen on any others.

edit: oops, this isn't even the mk18 clone thread
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AF_K9:
Pic taken in Iraq circa 2009 while I was attached to a 10th SFG (A) ODA.

<a href="http://s783.photobucket.com/user/AF_K9/media/ODA_RANGE003.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy111/AF_K9/ODA_RANGE003.jpg</a>

This is a clone thread, not a real Mk18 thread,

what front and rear sling attachments were you running?
both SF guys who posted in here were running the same Ergo rail covers, as well as Augee, and have barely been seen on any others.

edit: oops, this isn't even the mk18 clone thread

Not sure...they just issued the upper to me....I was just posting the pic for reference...oops!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

This.

Though I do think they look badass (FSPs), I much prefer the sight picture through my 553 with absolutely nothing in front of it - it's a no brainer for me when choosing.

Optics have vastly improved the performance of modern day fighting rifles - fixed sights just get in the way. The fact that guys are running rifles in combat zones without even backup sights (both front and rear) is a testament to just how effective modern day optics are, how reliable they are, and how FSPs are a thing of the past.

That's my take on it anyway - I could be totally off base.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:
Count me in the camp of FSPs being unnecessary and adding no more than potential problems.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some FSP rigs that get me all tingly inside for sure. They can and do look badass.

With that said, all they do is obstruct your sight picture on an RDS or 1x variable optic.

They also add unnecessary weight, and if you fuck up an exposed FSP, then you've fucked up your gas block. And I shouldn't need to tell anyone what happens with a fucked up gas block...

This.

Though I do think they look badass (FSPs), I much prefer the sight picture through my 553 with absolutely nothing in front of it - it's a no brainer for me when choosing.

Optics have vastly improved the performance of modern day fighting rifles - fixed sights just get in the way. The fact that guys are running rifles in combat zones without even backup sights (both front and rear) is a testament to just how effective modern day optics are, how reliable they are, and how FSPs are a thing of the past.

This isn't about looks. This is not a fashion contest. A FSB base does not "get in the way" if you're using a 1x RDS correctly.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By warpig8654:
This isn't about looks. This is not a fashion contest. A FSB base does not "get in the way" if you're using a 1x RDS correctly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By warpig8654:

Count me in the camp of FSPs being unnecessary and adding no more than potential problems.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some FSP rigs that get me all tingly inside for sure. They can and do look badass.

With that said, all they do is obstruct your sight picture on an RDS or 1x variable optic.

They also add unnecessary weight, and if you fuck up an exposed FSP, then you've fucked up your gas block. And I shouldn't need to tell anyone what happens with a fucked up gas block...

This.

I'm not suggesting one cannot effectively use a RDS with a FSB - I'm simply saying it's just clutter that is in your field of view - and it doesn't need to be there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Exactly. Who said it was about looks? If that was the case, we both said FSPs look badass - so we would be in support of them.

But...as we both said, all FSPs do is hinder functionality. There's zero reason for them to be there on an optics equipped rig.

Even on an irons only equipped rig, I'd still opt for KAC folding irons or DD fixed irons. Both are lighter, just as functional, and I can't stress enough - I do not want an exposed gas block, period.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:31:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#5]
I like flattops for being able to see as much of the FOV through the optic, but damn, the FSP block II does look good
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Exactly. Who said it was about looks? If that was the case, we both said FSPs look badass - so we would be in support of them.

But...as we both said, all FSPs do is hinder functionality. There's zero reason for them to be there on an optics equipped rig.

Even on an irons only equipped rig, I'd still opt for KAC folding irons or DD fixed irons. Both are lighter, just as functional, and I can't stress enough - I do not want an exposed gas block, period.
View Quote

My "favorite" rifle on my collection has a FSB, rear fixed DD and is lower 1/3 in my Comp M3.  I didn't think I would like it but you really do forget about it.  All the money I have spent, and my current favorite shooter has a 7" rail and fixed irons.  Blasphemy I tell ya!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Alaska511:

My "favorite" rifle on my collection has a FSB, rear fixed DD and is lower 1/3 in my Comp M3.  I didn't think I would like it but you really do forget about it.  All the money I have spent, and my current favorite shooter has a 7" rail and fixed irons.  Blasphemy I tell ya!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alaska511:

I love my glass, but dammit irons are good for the soul. favorite rifle is a plain Jane FN A2 clone. ;)

The force required to remove the pins on an FSB, I just can't see being worried about an exposed had block  as an issue. Then again, I'm just going to the range, not kicking in any doors.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By drb022:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t281/drb022/1_zps12877d34.jpeg

Yes it does, Mr. Wayne!

Just picked this baby up from Cheaper Than Dirt as a starting point for my second clone build. Since this one comes with a black RIS II, I had the idea to do an all black clone. I already have a black M3X and dual pressure switch. Next up for this one is a black EOTech 553 and DBAL-D2!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t281/drb022/2_zps0a62e1c8.jpeg
View Quote

I would just take that rifle, change the 16" barrel for a 14.5" one and then get the optic you want. And then finally paint the whole thing a desert tan.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By NapeSticksToKids:

The only citrus we got was sugar free . We had Pom though. That was good too.
View Quote

That's your problem, right there. The sugar free shit is nasty. Pom and Power are tied for 2nd
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Augee:

The better half found them for sale at the Commissary last time she went - asked me if I wanted her to pick some up, because I'd go nuts whenever there was a Dollar General around saying "I NEED TO GET A RIP IT!"

Asked me how many I wanted - I said, "I dunno - ten?"

I meant ten cans.  

The better half came back with ten cases (of four).  

I didn't complain - reminded me of the old days!  

My guys would go camp out by the DFAC right while they were about to restock when we'd come back from night LP/OPs and stock all of our trucks.  

~Augee
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

RIPITS!!!!

I make a run to Dollar General about once a month and snag up a case. Brings back great memories

The better half found them for sale at the Commissary last time she went - asked me if I wanted her to pick some up, because I'd go nuts whenever there was a Dollar General around saying "I NEED TO GET A RIP IT!"

Asked me how many I wanted - I said, "I dunno - ten?"

I meant ten cans.  

The better half came back with ten cases (of four).  

I didn't complain - reminded me of the old days!  

My guys would go camp out by the DFAC right while they were about to restock when we'd come back from night LP/OPs and stock all of our trucks.  

~Augee

Sounds like your missus is a keeper
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I love the fsp, really wish mine was one.
IMG_20140217_211333 by tb5252, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:53:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Darkstar117] [#12]
Rearranged some stuff.
(I apologize for the potato pictures)

From this:

To this:

Thinking of replacing the 516 with a tan 553, and the LMT coyote stock for a B5 FDE one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Darkstar117:
Rearranged some stuff.

From this:
http://www.ak47.net/media/viewFile.html?i=51090

To this:
http://www.ak47.net/media/viewFile.html?i=63458

Thinking of replacing the 516 with a tan 553, and the LMT coyote stock for a B5 FDE one.
View Quote

I'd leave the LMT stock alone IMO, unless you're really hardset on the QD. With that said, the LMT's color is more clone correct (in a sense) than B5's, which is way lighter.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I Would like the 1st pic with the LMT stock (IMHO)
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, rock that LMT fo sho
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Sf3p, what is the added length?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I know it's enough to make OAL >16", beyond that, not 100% sure atm. I assume the FH556-RC is the same length?
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:50:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NapeSticksToKids] [#18]
Originally Posted By Tmender03:

I know it's enough to make OAL >16", beyond that, not 100% sure atm. I assume the FH556-RC is the same length?
View All Quotes

not clone related, i was asking if it would work for a 13.7". i just know this is the most concentrated location of those users
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#19]

not clone related, i was asking if it would work for a 13.7". i just know this is the most concentrated location of those users
View All Quotes

I'll try and remember to measure once I'm home.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#20]

View All Quotes

No.  None of the SOCOM mounts will work to bring a 13.7" barrel to >16".  This is from SF.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Rearranged some stuff.

From this:
http://www.ak47.net/media/viewFile.html?i=51090

To this:
http://www.ak47.net/media/viewFile.html?i=63458

View Quote

553 or EXPS - yes.

Replacing LMT, no.  

I like the distinctive LMT "taupe" FDE.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes

BE Meyers will bring a 13.7" to 16"
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:07:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tmender03] [#23]

View All Quotes

2 9/16" OAL, threaded area is about 5/8" or so for the FH556-RC.
Next to my old NT4 for comparison. I'm unsure if anyone would, but I'd sell that NT4.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

Quick math says ~ 14.1" barrel to be safe. I came up with roughly 14.06" minimum to make 16" OAL, that's without timing washers though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#25]

2 9/16" OAL, threaded area is about 5/8" or so for the FH556-RC.<a href="http://s284.photobucket.com/user/joshauclarkson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140501_180107_zps7zwb9n5y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll35/joshauclarkson/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140501_180107_zps7zwb9n5y.jpg</a>
Next to my old NT4 for comparison. I'm unsure if anyone would, but I'd sell that NT4.
View All Quotes

2 9/16" OAL, threaded area is about 5/8" or so for the FH556-RC.<a href="http://s284.photobucket.com/user/joshauclarkson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140501_180107_zps7zwb9n5y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll35/joshauclarkson/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140501_180107_zps7zwb9n5y.jpg</a>

Who removed that NT4?

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 2:28:10 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Damn how about someone just make a 5.7" flash hider to make our MK18s a 16" barrel lol :P
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Who removed that NT4?
View Quote

Me Not the best job, I know.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes
Who removed that NT4?

::shrug:: At least based on the photo, it's not too horrible.

I've removed a couple of permanently pinned muzzle devices before - most of the time it's not too difficult to get the thing off intact - probably easier than pinning it was, which is why it's slightly frustrating that ADCO insists that the muzzle device has to be destroyed to remove it.  

I understand why they say that and do things the way they do them, and why they won't guarantee returning the muzzle device to you, if nothing else, it's not a 100% guarantee that you can always get the muzzle device off intact, and it's easier to just have that disclaimer, instead of having to deal with individual customers being upset that their muzzle device had to be destroyed, so I don't blame them - it is what it is, and it's the reality of doing your own work versus doing things for a living.  

Sent you a PM.

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes
Who removed that NT4?

no, it looks good, looks like you could repin it. now im thinking of having my nt4 drilled off and just replace the rail.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#31]

no, it looks good, looks like you could repin it. now im thinking of having my nt4 drilled off and just replace the rail.
View All Quotes
Who removed that NT4?

Mine was removed by Adco once when I moved from the RAS to the RIS II. Once I got the FH556-RC, I revived it myself, threads on the barrel were rough on a spot, nothing a thread file couldn't repair, there's just hardly any finish left on the threads after though. I don't think I removed the entire pin before spinning it off. All is good now though however, the guys that did it did such a good, only way I find the pin was cold blue (FH wouldn't take the cold blue, as it's stainless).
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Dammit...
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Dammit...
View All Quotes

Dammit...

Part numero uno for my M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone, and man did I think RBRD was expensive.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#34]

I've removed a couple of permanently pinned muzzle devices before - most of the time it's not too difficult to get the thing off intact - probably easier than pinning it was, which is why it's slightly frustrating that ADCO insists that the muzzle device has to be destroyed to remove it.  

I understand why they say that and do things the way they do them, and why they won't guarantee returning the muzzle device to you, if nothing else, it's not a 100% guarantee that you can always get the muzzle device off intact, and it's easier to just have that disclaimer, instead of having to deal with individual customers being upset that their muzzle device had to be destroyed, so I don't blame them - it is what it is, and it's the reality of doing your own work versus doing things for a living.  

Sent you a PM.

~Augee
View All Quotes
Who removed that NT4?

Sent you a PM.

~Augee

Sent you one back, took some better pictures too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#35]
So what would be a fair price for a FDE RIS II? I am wanting to sell mine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By BrentB17:
View Quote

325 and it will sell pretty quick, 350 is a long shot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 6:58:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kaneljo3000] [#37]

View All Quotes

What condition would it have to be in to sell for $325-$350?
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Got me one!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By kaneljo3000:

View All Quotes

I got mine for $300 shipped. I would say it was new but the seller didn't describe it as that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By KCode98:

I got mine for $300 shipped. I would say it was new but the seller didn't describe it as that.
View All Quotes

$350 should be no problem right now either. DD has upped their price to $445 and they're no longer selling the FDE rails. Apparently they're saving all of them for SOCOM so all we can get is black now :(
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#41]

$350 should be no problem right now either. DD has upped their price to $445 and they're no longer selling the FDE rails. Apparently they're saving all of them for SOCOM so all we can get is black now :(
View All Quotes

Just sold one for $315. Should have asked more LOL
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I wouldn't give a shit if mine was FDE or black, it would still get spray-painted. In fact, I sprayed my FDE rail today because I grew tiresome of the uniformity of a solid color; it's too dark anyways, so I lightened it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
I wouldn't give a shit if mine was FDE or black, it would still get spray-painted. In fact, I sprayed my FDE rail today because I grew tiresome of the uniformity of a solid color; it's too dark anyways, so I lightened it.
View Quote

I haven't quite gotten around to painting the add-ons, but haven't had a problem painting FDE rails.

Link Posted: 5/4/2014 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

I think BCM is the only place that still has the DD RIS II fde in stock.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 11:57:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Conspiro-Agnew:

I haven't quite gotten around to painting the add-ons, but haven't had a problem painting FDE rails.

<a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/user/Conspiro-Agnew/media/General%20Discussion/Stuff_zps0b48326e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/Conspiro-Agnew/General%20Discussion/Stuff_zps0b48326e.jpg</a>
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s155.photobucket.com/user/Conspiro-Agnew/media/General%20Discussion/Stuff_zps0b48326e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/Conspiro-Agnew/General%20Discussion/Stuff_zps0b48326e.jpg</a>

Nice weapons and all, but that BDU camo woobie AHHHH!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

That woobie is, without a doubt, the best piece of issued equipment I've ever signed for.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#47]

That woobie is, without a doubt, the best piece of issued equipment I've ever signed for.
View All Quotes

I think we all feel that way haha. There's just something about it...
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 7:18:51 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

I still have my original issued one. I'll never get rid of it
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

I have an ERDL Vietnam-issued liner dated 1968.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Wormydog1987:
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/jwAy5d" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3822/12160658404_56de7ef233_b.jpg</a>IMG_3263 by wormydog1724, on Flickr
View Quote

What reticle are you running on your NF 1-4x?

I'm thinking about trying one out.
Page / 912
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top