User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 911
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pook2:
Where, may i ask, did you purchase a sim kit for the m4 and the m9?
View Quote

Just trawling eBay, Gunbroker, the EE, and posting WTB ads.  

They come up infrequently, but you can find them with enough patience.  

Ammunition is really the more difficult thing to come up with - but it still pops up here and there once in a while.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:00:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#2]
Originally Posted By RJeff21:
Beat me to it.  The bottom picture was a personally purchased rail (I believe Augee has talked about this one as well), the top picture is definitely FDE.
View Quote

IIRC, it's not Stukas87's rifle - but one that he encountered and posted about in a Defense Review article.  

From the looks of it, the user has a lot of personally owned gear on it - lots of good stuff.  

Maybe he will stop by and comment further - but I would definitely say it's a black rail.  The top one is FDE, though it too looks like it has a decent number of personally owned components - I would venture to guess that both were personally purchased rails that the end-users had installed - not "program" parts, as they're both a bit older than when the RIS II FSP fieldings seem to have been happening.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Augee:

IIRC, it's not Stukas87's rifle - but one that he encountered and posted about in a Defense Review article.  

From the looks of it, the user has a lot of personally owned gear on it - lots of good stuff.  

Maybe he will stop by and comment further - but I would definitely say it's a black rail.  The top one is FDE, though it too looks like it has a decent number of personally owned components - I would venture to guess that both were personally purchased rails that the end-users had installed - not "program" parts, as they're both a bit older than when the RIS II FSP fieldings seem to have been happening.  

~Augee
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Beat me to it.  The bottom picture was a personally purchased rail (I believe Augee has talked about this one as well), the top picture is definitely FDE.

~Augee

You're correct that it's not Stukas' rifle. I just had to look it up. "Far from KISS; Schmidt & Bender Short Dot tactical scope, extended rail, aftermarket stock and grip, take off the LA-5 laser and you could easily see this exact same set-up at any local 3-gun match, instead this is currently downrange being employed by a U.S. Infantry Soldier."

IIRC, the guy in the other pic is AFSOC and that would likely explain all of the oddball bits on it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Ammunition is really the more difficult thing to come up with - but it still pops up here and there once in a while.  

~Augee
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pook2:
Where, may i ask, did you purchase a sim kit for the m4 and the m9?

~Augee

Is there any sort of way to reload the cases? It might be harder to find the components than it is to just buy the sim ammo (sammo)
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

You're correct that it's not Stukas' rifle. I just had to look it up. "Far from KISS; Schmidt & Bender Short Dot tactical scope, extended rail, aftermarket stock and grip, take off the LA-5 laser and you could easily see this exact same set-up at any local 3-gun match, instead this is currently downrange being employed by a U.S. Infantry Soldier."

IIRC, the guy in the other pic is AFSOC and that would likely explain all of the oddball bits on it.
View All Quotes

~Augee

The Black DD rail was added by the shooter, Although the FDE rails were out and being issued to SOF units for sometime, our unit had not received them yet when I took the pic. Now we all have FDE DD rails for all our M4s that took place this time last year.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By OilfieldTrash78:
Getting closer....Got the BCM 14.5" SOCOM upper in and my RIS IIFSP in today, and put together.  Running a Match sight for now until I can find a deal on a KAC 600m.  Then I am hoping to pic up an Elcan.  Always, pic thread...
http://i.imgur.com/2TlLvA2.jpg?1

And here with the little brother, my MK18ish 10.3"...I must say the rail is quite a bit darker than I was expecting.
http://i.imgur.com/butrb5D.jpg

The rail didn't come with any ladder covers.  Anyone know where to get some like the ones that were supposed to come with the rail?
View Quote

https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/rail-ladders/rail-ladders.html They're actually made by Ergo if you can find them locally. Although, MAGPUL's are a little bit darker and look better with the rail. The Ergo ladders are much brighter than the RIS II's FDE so it kind of clashes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Stukas87:The Black DD rail was added by the shooter, Although the FDE rails were out and being issued to SOF units for sometime, our unit had not received them yet when I took the pic. Now we all have FDE DD rails for all our M4s that took place this time last year.
View Quote

Thanks for clarifying that. Are the new ones mostly FSP rails? I seem to remember that SF was going to use them on M4A1's.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By drb022:

https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/rail-ladders/rail-ladders.html They're actually made by Ergo if you can find them locally. Although, MAGPUL's are a little bit darker and look better with the rail. The Ergo ladders are much brighter than the RIS II's FDE so it kind of clashes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By drb022:
Getting closer....Got the BCM 14.5" SOCOM upper in and my RIS IIFSP in today, and put together.  Running a Match sight for now until I can find a deal on a KAC 600m.  Then I am hoping to pic up an Elcan.  Always, pic thread...
http://i.imgur.com/2TlLvA2.jpg?1

And here with the little brother, my MK18ish 10.3"...I must say the rail is quite a bit darker than I was expecting.
http://i.imgur.com/butrb5D.jpg

The rail didn't come with any ladder covers.  Anyone know where to get some like the ones that were supposed to come with the rail?

if  a color issue is the question, spray paint is the answer
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Thanks for clarifying that. Are the new ones mostly FSP rails? I seem to remember that SF was going to use them on M4A1's.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stukas87:The Black DD rail was added by the shooter, Although the FDE rails were out and being issued to SOF units for sometime, our unit had not received them yet when I took the pic. Now we all have FDE DD rails for all our M4s that took place this time last year.

That's the plan, there are still M4A1's out there without them why, lazy supply guys have not issued them out or lazy armorers have not got around to switching them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I now have a BCM 14.5" RIS II FSP upper on the way...

I haven't had a 14.5" carbine, or FSP equipped rig in ages.

And I know what some of you may be thinking right now, but no, hell has not frozen over - I just simply got way too good of a deal on this upper to pass it up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

And I know what some of you may be thinking right now, but no, hell has not frozen over - I just simply got way too good of a deal on this upper to pass it up.
View Quote

Wait, ages?
you just had a 6920 SOCOM a few months ago, did you end up just flipping it?

You got a  serious shopping problem, I've gone through that phase a few times, something new was arriving every single day for a good 3 or 4 months at a time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By G_MAN:

Wait, ages?

You got a  serious shopping problem, I've gone through that phase a few times, something new was arriving every single day for a good 3 or 4 months at a time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

Wait, ages?

I sold that Colt SOCOM at my cost to Geno locally back in November. It was only in my possession for a week or two, and I just removed it from its factory box once.

I actually intend to use this upper. So this will be the first 14.5" carbine or FSP rig I've actually owned and used in a good 4 or 5 years.

My long and hard case of BRD has still yet to see an end, unfortunately. I've told myself I was done dozens of times now, but I just keep making moves. In fairness, it's really tough to sit idle in this current market. There is just so much low hanging fruit, and so many people nearly giving stuff away.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Anybody looking to get in the Mk18 game? I have a LMT 10.5" mk18 upper with KAC rail, M951 surefire and aimpoint pro (comp m2 housing but 2moa dot) with wilcox mount. Also have a DD Mk18 upper FDE rail. I'd like to trade / sell for a M4a1 Block II upper.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:11:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I read every page of the thread.  I am saving for graduate school but it is really tempting to build a Block II rifle.  

Nice rifles everyone!
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Resized and rotated for your ease and viewing pleasure.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By fastfoot:

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc394/fastfoot62/Mobile%20Uploads/6b1d2aa6-58fc-47ee-bdbe-ccd34f1c0cbe.jpg
View Quote

Nice block I/1.5 and block II
The 1.5 is purdy damn close to how mine is setup. BTW- I have better luck with less movement under fire on the I.R. cap of the 951 by running it 180 degrees turned from how it's setup. I'd show you if this wasn't strictly a block II thread lol. Just a tip tho, when I ran the hinge on the bottom it flopped around when firing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:13:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

The 1.5 is purdy damn close to how mine is setup. BTW- I have better luck with less movement under fire on the I.R. cap of the 951 by running it 180 degrees turned from how it's setup. I'd show you if this wasn't strictly a block II thread lol. Just a tip tho, when I ran the hinge on the bottom it flopped around when firing.
View All Quotes

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc394/fastfoot62/Mobile%20Uploads/6b1d2aa6-58fc-47ee-bdbe-ccd34f1c0cbe.jpg

Thanks! Yup, I have the IR cap turned back up since the pic was taken.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Sweet, badass SOPMOD clones my friend.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ticklemylawls:
Anybody looking to get in the Mk18 game? I have a LMT 10.5" mk18 upper with KAC rail, M951 surefire and aimpoint pro (comp m2 housing but 2moa dot) with wilcox mount. Also have a DD Mk18 upper FDE rail. I'd like to trade / sell for a M4a1 Block II upper.
View Quote

PM sent.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:57:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#21]
Well, I think I'm finally settled on the major parts of my setups for the PR and Block II.  Only thing that is left are weaponlights, and possibly ATPIAL-Cs if/when I go down that road.

So, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of M600U's.  I know they probably aren't the most "clone correct" weapon lights available but their output is awesome and they pretty much look the part.

I am wondering about mounts though.  I'm thinking about an IWC Dropwing mount for the PR.  Has that specific mount been seen "in the wild"?  I can't seem to remember.  

Anyway, shitty potato pic ahead.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, I think I'm finally settled on the major parts of my setups for the PR and Block II.  Only thing that is left are weaponlights, and possibly ATPIAL-Cs if and when I go down that road.

So, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of M600U's.  I know they probably aren't the most "clone correct" weapon lights available but their output is awesome and the pretty much look the part.

I am wondering about mounts though.  I'm thinking about an IWC Dropwing mount for the PR.  Has that specific mount been seen "in the wild"?  I can't seem to remember.  

Anyway, shitty potato pics ahead. *snip*
View Quote

That block 2 is awesome, I may need to clone your clone.....
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

http://i35.tinypic.com/1zoyihk.jpg

lulz. Tan belt MARSOC
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ihcnehc:
Originally Posted By AR15USA:
Is Leupold MK8 clone correct? I have the block II upper ready, but I am debating whether to get MK8 or the new Schmidt Bender PII 1-8x24.

Leupold MK8 CQBSS wouldn't have existed without the SOCOM contract.  CQBSS is also used by USMC.  Schmidt & Bender ShortDot 1-8x24, on the hand, is a unicorn.  There were only a few ever made (all hand made) for T&E (for the same contract).  They are all in civilian hands now.  This is per S&B USA.  If you know where to get one, by all means, let me know.

lulz. Tan belt MARSOC

Just being MARSOC is good for black.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

The Matech is actually the more clone-correct sight.

Magpul rail covers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Well, I think I'm finally settled on the major parts of my setups for the PR and Block II.  Only thing that is left are weaponlights, and possibly ATPIAL-Cs if/when I go down that road.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7482/16057028458_769dfbb890_b.jpg

View Quote
I'm currently trying to make that decision myself. I'm not sure if I should pick up a new ATPIAL-C or a couple used DBAL's.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

View All Quotes
Is Leupold MK8 clone correct? I have the block II upper ready, but I am debating whether to get MK8 or the new Schmidt Bender PII 1-8x24.

Leupold MK8 CQBSS wouldn't have existed without the SOCOM contract.  CQBSS is also used by USMC.  Schmidt & Bender ShortDot 1-8x24, on the hand, is a unicorn.  There were only a few ever made (all hand made) for T&E (for the same contract).  They are all in civilian hands now.  This is per S&B USA.  If you know where to get one, by all means, let me know.

lulz. Tan belt MARSOC

Off topic but it's prolly just his "rigger's belt that happens to be tan. We don't do much MCMAP in MARSOC. Just what the Marine or SARC has brought into the teams from the fleet before he joined MARSOC. Much of the training done in MARSOC is not formally recognized by the Marine Corps. We teach more SOCP (Special Operations Combatives Program) or are taught a mixture of Martial Arts disciplines by civvy instructors brought in from the outsisde by the command. There's not much love MCMAP in the Corps in the first place within the line & support units & many Marines & Corpsman think it's a joke. Back to the pics.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#27]

So, I'm thinking of picking up a pair of M600U's.  I know they probably aren't the most "clone correct" weapon lights available but their output is awesome and they pretty much look the part.

View Quote

M600Us are very common and issued with some units.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 2:43:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthGuy] [#28]
Double.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys, heads up: Just got off the phone with Kevin at High Caliber Sales. He's got completed BII uppers and FDE rails in stock.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
I'm currently trying to make that decision myself. I'm not sure if I should pick up a new ATPIAL-C or a couple used DBAL's.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/qKH93M" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7511/16247198425_6734b96607_h.jpg</a>

View All Quotes

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/qKH93M" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7511/16247198425_6734b96607_h.jpg</a>

I sold my DBALs when the ATPIAL C was announced and went to the Lasermax Uni IR to hold me over until the release and couldn't be happier,(for the time being) for $150 it does the trick.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#31]

I sold my DBALs when the ATPIAL C was announced and went to the Lasermax Uni IR to hold me over until the release and couldn't be happier,(for the time being) for $150 it does the trick.

View All Quotes

If an ATPIAL-C with a green VIS was an option, I wouldn't hesitate gettin' one. But, since that probably won't happen, I've considered getting a pair of DBAL's for around the same price as one civi peq-15.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By warpig8654:

Off topic but it's prolly just his "rigger's belt that happens to be tan. We don't do much MCMAP in MARSOC. Just what the Marine or SARC has brought into the teams from the fleet before he joined MARSOC. Much of the training done in MARSOC is not formally recognized by the Marine Corps. We teach more SOCP (Special Operations Combatives Program) or are taught a mixture of Martial Arts disciplines by civvy instructors brought in from the outsisde by the command. There's not much love MCMAP in the Corps in the first place within the line & support units & many Marines & Corpsman think it's a joke. Back to the pics.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By warpig8654:

lulz. Tan belt MARSOC

Bet you're right...I just thought it was funny that 1" of tan belt was spotted = MCMAP.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#33]
From the new Silencerco Omega video
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
I use an HSP Thorntail on my Block II and it works perfectly. I've seen a couple of them in pictures, I'll see if I can dig them up out of my hard drive.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:50:06 PM EDT
[#35]
 I have one.  I tossed the box long ago though. :(

These are a rare piece though.   Not overruns, just lucky some got sent off the line to unsusual places.

I stuck it to a M4A1 lower...
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By erifevil:
 I have one.  I tossed the box long ago though. :(

These are a rare piece though.   Not overruns, just lucky some got sent off the line to unsusual places.

I stuck it to a M4A1 lower...
View Quote

I literally have no clue what you're talking about.  The individual with a .mil DD rail?  It really helps to quote the person you're responding to when posting.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Hawkeye65x:
I use an HSP Thorntail on my Block II and it works perfectly. I've seen a couple of them in pictures, I'll see if I can dig them up out of my hard drive.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hawkeye65x:

HSP mounts are used by govt agencies and .mil teams.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:21:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ihcnehc] [#38]
Elcan SpecterOZ 5-20x plus Elcan MRDS

Elcan MRDS

Elcan SpecterDR 1-6x, no, not 1.5-6x.

They are probably competing to be the next ECOS.  They would be up against some of the latest offerings from Leupold.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:29:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Elcan SpecterOZ 5-20x plus Elcan MRDShttp://www.defense.gouv.fr/var/dicod/storage/images/base-de-medias/images/ema/sitta/ausa-2012/elcan-specter-oz2/2058585-1-fre-FR/elcan-specter-oz.jpg

http://assets.adsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/SpecterOZbyELCAN.jpg

Elcan MRDS
http://assets.adsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ELC_MRDS904323_1_2014.jpg

http://assets.adsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/SpecterDR1-6x_MG_2757.jpg

They are probably competing to be the next ECOS.  They would be up against some of the latest offerings from Leupold.

View Quote

Love Elcan.

But my SpecterDR is going off to get serviced in Canada. Illuminated dot keeps turning off and on whilst shooting. Tried everything, something's busted. :/
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Elcan SpecterOZ 5-20x plus Elcan MRDShttp://www.defense.gouv.fr/var/dicod/storage/images/base-de-medias/images/ema/sitta/ausa-2012/elcan-specter-oz2/2058585-1-fre-FR/elcan-specter-oz.jpg

Elcan MRDS

View Quote

Any word on when the 1-6x is going to be commercially released, if at all?  I've been looking for one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:35:32 AM EDT
[#41]

That thing looks like something that you would expect to come from a T1 and EOTech getting a little too frisky over tequila.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:19:00 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Anyone else think that MRDS would look awesome as a standalone?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:04:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#43]
Got the TA01NSN re-painted and got some good pics of the Block II and PR.  Now all I need is a couple of weaponlights.  

Clone family.

Now I just need to get some time to go out and shoot.  Been damn near 1.5 months since I last got a chance to go and I'm starting to get an itchy trigger finger.  With all of my optic changes recently, nothing is zeroed anymore on any of my clones.  

Should all be resolved this weekend though.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#44]
New paint looks nice!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#45]
New paint looks nice!  

~Augee
View Quote

Thanks man, I've kind of been surprised at how much I like the NSN.  Guess I really won't know til I get it out and shoot with it, but so far I think it's a keeper.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:05:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xmjay177] [#46]
Here is my build. I need a tear drop forward assist and a front sight ( I already have a KAC BUIS). Painted the rifle since the rail was black when I got it from Brownellsback when the had the sale in august.

Specs:
VLTOR Emod stock with buffer tube
DD RIS 12" rail, black
magpul pistol grip
magpul grip stop
KAC fore-grip
AAC blackout flash hider (pinned)
Eotech 512
surefire M951
Rock River Arms lower
BCM upper
standard LPK
troy low profile gas block
Colt SOCOM 14.5" barrel

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Here ya go:

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I was trying to get the images to work but couldn't for some reason I couldn't. Thanks a lot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Was able to pieced this together with the help of my old man while on deployment. Can't wait to get back to play with her
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Elcan MRDS

View Quote

5-20x

Just gonna take a "S.W.A.G.", and say that, that set-up with the MRDS will probably run close to $6,000
Page / 911
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top