[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
Sell the 16" and get a 14.5".
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 4:52:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#2]
Originally Posted By AmericanCheese:

This..and 16” over 14.5 “ in cloning is never acceptable.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 4:52:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#3]
Glitch.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 4:53:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#4]
Damn it! Glitch again.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck the glitch...it’s replete over in GD too.  This place is going to shit
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AmericanCheese:
Fuck the glitch...it’s replete over in GD too.  This place is going to shit
View Quote
It's getting on my nerves. It was doing it to me in the EE, too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Finally got my Block 2 build *mostly* complete. The rail was originally black but I Cerakoted it to match the DD FDE color. When I received the SOCOM barrel I realized it wasn't pinned for a FSP so I had to drill the barrel for the FSP taper pins too. There's still somethings I want to add/change like a 4 prong, B5 stock, Ergo grip, and some rail covers. All in due time though! I really like the SU237. I'm glad I opted for it rather than an Eotech and magnifier.

Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CoilCrafter:
Finally got my Block 2 build *mostly* complete. The rail was originally black but I Cerakoted it to match the DD FDE color. When I received the SOCOM barrel I realized it wasn't pinned for a FSP so I had to drill the barrel for the FSP taper pins too. There's still somethings I want to add/change like a 4 prong, B5 stock, Ergo grip, and some rail covers. All in due time though! I really like the SU237. I'm glad I opted for it rather than an Eotech and magnifier.

https://i.imgur.com/MR4DQGE.jpg
View Quote
Looking good!  Find yourself a Colt waffle in the EE and you’re all set.  I would have just painted the rail and entire M4 for $10

Is the end heavy with your peq mounted that far forward?
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 9:21:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DoubleTap556] [#9]
Alright, I did it. Got a colt 14.5" SOCOM on the way. I can already tell this clone build is gonna cost me money

Looking at flash hiders, should I just stick with an extended A2 until I can find a 4 prong or should I just go the SF3P route since it's in stock now? Or is the Warcomp an even better option than the SF3P?
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:40:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#10]
Originally Posted By CoilCrafter:

https://i.imgur.com/MR4DQGE.jpg
View Quote
Good job. I think the lower needs painted to match the upper, though. Would look mucho better, I think. And good job Cerakoting the rail, although it looks a bit glossy for Cerakote. Too much hardener?

Originally Posted By DoubleTap556:
Alright, I did it. Got a colt 14.5" SOCOM on the way. I can already tell this clone build is gonna cost me money

Looking at flash hiders, should I just stick with an extended A2 until I can find a 4 prong or should I just go the SF3P route since it's in stock now? Or is the Warcomp an even better option than the SF3P?
View Quote
Good decision on the barrel! And I just went with a 3P since Optics Planet had them on sale for under $100 shipped. Eventually I'll score a fair deal on a 4 prong, hopefully. But my Warcomp is better than my 3P. It hides flash just as well and adds a small amount of compensation, too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
If you're planning on buying a suppressor at any point then I would base your muzzle device around that. If you're not going to suppress it then I'd save some money and get a KAC NT4 flash hider.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're planning on buying a suppressor at any point then I would base your muzzle device around that. If you're not going to suppress it then I'd save some money and get a KAC NT4 flash hider.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is the NT4 long enough to bring the 14.5" out to 16"? I know it's a hair longer than an A2, but I don't think it'll be long enough to keep him legal.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:

Good job. I think the lower needs painted to match the upper, though. Would look mucho better, I think. And good job Cerakoting the rail, although it looks a bit glossy for Cerakote. A bit too much hardener?

Good decision on the barrel! And I just went with a 3P since Optics Planet had them on sale for under $100 shipped. Eventually I'll score a fair deal on a 4 prong, hopefully.
View Quote
And by fair deal, do you mean like  $275? Just curious. I've unfortunately forked over that amount for a SF4P. Lol
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Is the NT4 long enough to bring the 14.5" out to 16"? I know it's a hair longer than an A2, but I don't think it'll be long enough to keep him legal.
View Quote
Correct,  the NT4 FH is not long enough to get you to 16" however ADCO has a $20 spacer that worked great to get my 14.5 Govt profile Colt to 16".
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:47:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#15]
Originally Posted By 5pt56:
And by fair deal, do you mean like  $275? Just curious. I've unfortunately forked over that amount for a SF4P. Lol
View All Quotes

Good job. I think the lower needs painted to match the upper, though. Would look mucho better, I think. And good job Cerakoting the rail, although it looks a bit glossy for Cerakote. A bit too much hardener?

Good decision on the barrel! And I just went with a 3P since Optics Planet had them on sale for under $100 shipped. Eventually I'll score a fair deal on a 4 prong, hopefully.
If it was new or in really good condition than I guess that's fair since that's what they bring. I won't pay it, but others do. I'd pay two bills, but no more. Just don't want one bad enough, I guess. The 3P works just the same, maybe better.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#16]

If it was new or in really good condition than I guess that's fair since that's what they bring. I won't pay it, but others do. I'd pay two bills, but no more. Just don't want one bad enough, I guess.
View Quote
I wouldn't have paid it either but my OCD got the better of me...
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#17]
View All Quotes

If it was new or in really good condition than I guess that's fair since that's what they bring. I won't pay it, but others do. I'd pay two bills, but no more. Just don't want one bad enough, I guess.
Don't worry, dude. I've spent more absurd amounts on dumber items.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#18]
Correct,  the NT4 FH is not long enough to get you to 16" however ADCO has a $20 spacer that worked great to get my 14.5 Govt profile Colt to 16".
View All Quotes

True, forgot about the spacer. Plus, NT4's can be had for cheap. Saw a couple go for like $55 the other day. No cheaper alternative aside from an extended A2, which isn't technically correct.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#19]
True, forgot about the spacer. Plus, NT4's can be had for cheap. Saw a couple go for like $55 the other day. No cheaper alternative aside from an extended A2, which isn't technically correct.
View All Quotes

That's why I'd go with the NT4. Correct, cheap as shit and you can still mount a suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I still want to swap out my SF3P for a KAC flash hider on my B2 CQBR. I'm kind of afraid of finding out if and how much thread locker the previous owner used on my SF3P tho lol.

I def prefer the shortest option available tho (KAC/spacer) but if you are going to get a Surefire can, obviously get a Surefire muzzle device
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:40:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#21]

That's why I'd go with the NT4. Correct, cheap as shit and you can still mount a suppressor.
View Quote
All good reasons. I prefer look of the 3/4 prongs and also Surefire cans over KAC cans, but neither is a bad choice.

Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
I still want to swap out my SF3P for a KAC flash hider on my B2 CQBR. I'm kind of afraid of finding out if and how much thread locker the previous owner used on my SF3P tho lol.

I def prefer the shortest option available tho (KAC/spacer) but if you are going to get a Surefire can, obviously get a Surefire muzzle device
View Quote
That's why that Connor dudes upper intrigued me. He cut his barrel back to about 13.7/8" and pinned/welded the Surefire hider on it so it would be exactly 16.1" all said and done. Looked great and lost a tiny bit of weight from the 3/4" shorter barrel.

As far as threadlocker on your muzzle device, heat it up if it doesn't spin right off with some muscle and a wrench. Even Rockset really isn't that hard to break loose if was used properly. Some guys pour it on which is retarded. I don't use any locking compound on muzzle devices unless I know it'll be run with a can, then I use a very small amount of Rockset. Never had one start to back off.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
Do have SBR or are you going with p&w?
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:02:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanCheese] [#23]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

View Quote
SF FH and Brake on everything for me...my SOCOM mini is in my safe for God knows how long.  California and all that mess
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#24]
View All Quotes

@871JZ  havent we all
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
View All Quotes

It'll be going to ADCO for a p&w job.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Jlgil73:
@871JZ  havent we all
View All Quotes

@871JZ  havent we all
Absolutely. I do it at least once a month.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:56:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#27]

View Quote
Nice. Did you decide on what muzzle device yet?

3P, 4P, Warcomp, A2X, A2 w/ spacer, or NT4 w/ spacer are the choices to say on track.

Happy New Year, dudes. Let's make this the year of the clones.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#28]

3P, 4P, Warcomp, A2X, A2 w/ spacer, or NT4 w/ spacer are the choices to say on track.

View Quote
I honestly can't decide right now, LOL...

While I don't have a suppressor right now, I'd like to keep the option open for one (I think), and in that case I'd go w/ a surefire.  This makes me want to get the SF3P or warcomp and pin it.

Because I don't have a suppressor, part of me just wants to go w/ the extended A2 and pin it...

It doesn't help that all the versions I've seen in this thread, to include the NT4 all look amazing...

First world problems, I know...
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

Then A2 with spacer. It looks less retarded than the extended A2.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#30]

While I don't have a suppressor right now, I'd like to keep the option open for one (I think), and in that case I'd go w/ a surefire.  This makes me want to get the SF3P or warcomp and pin it.

Because I don't have a suppressor, part of me just wants to go w/ the extended A2 and pin it...

It doesn't help that all the versions I've seen in this thread, to include the NT4 all look amazing...

View All Quotes

I'd go with a 3/4 prong or a Warcomp. They look better than A2/A2X's or NT4's, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 5:20:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#31]
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#32]
seems as though this hasn't been posted here? if it has, oh well.

Link Posted: 1/1/2018 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By FDEKnight1995:

https://i.imgur.com/D9QI4uz.jpg
View Quote
ALG?
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:
ALG?
View All Quotes

ALG?
ALG EMR V3 13”
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice brand new 14.5" SOCOM barrel in the EE right now.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up. I’ve been lurking in this thread for a while And I finally am committing to a block II build.

Just won a 6920 socom auction
Got a RIS II on the way
Now have the right barrel lined up

Link Posted: 1/1/2018 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By McGoo:
ALG EMR V3 13”
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By McGoo:

ALG?
ALG EMR V3 13”
And a midlength gas system
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:

And a midlength gas system
View Quote
how can you tell?
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 10:39:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billytehbob] [#38]
I’ve got the 4P on mine right now. Love the rifle, might look for a suppressor down the road, but I’m looking to mitigate recoil/muzzle climb at the moment. Took it to the range last week and noticed a decent amount of muzzle climb.

I’m curious about my options; Trade the MD for something like a war comp? I’ve also only got a carbine buffer right now, maybe drop in a 9mm buffer? I’ve never played with buffer weights before.

Also, I’ve got light cant on the FSB, took me 17 clicks to the right from mechanical zero, so I’m wondering if it’s gonna be worth it to have the FSB corrected, since it’s technically in-spec.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Just ordered a SOCOM RC from Arms Unlimited for $695. Hopefully by the end of the summer I get to take possession of it...

Then, I start my MK18 build.

Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:43:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By TigerHawk:
Thanks for the heads up. I’ve been lurking in this thread for a while And I finally am committing to a block II build.

Got a RIS II on the way

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TigerHawk:
Nice brand new 14.5" SOCOM barrel in the EE right now.

Got a RIS II on the way

No problem and make sure you post pics along the way!
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 5:48:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#41]

how can you tell?
View Quote
I was wondering the same thing. Can't see any of the gas system from that pic. At least I can't.

Originally Posted By billytehbob:
I’ve got the 4P on mine right now. Love the rifle, might look for a suppressor down the road, but I’m looking to mitigate recoil/muzzle climb at the moment. Took it to the range last week and noticed a decent amount of muzzle climb.

I’m curious about my options; Trade the MD for something like a war comp? I’ve also only got a carbine buffer right now, maybe drop in a 9mm buffer? I’ve never played with buffer weights before.

Also, I’ve got light cant on the FSB, took me 17 clicks to the right from mechanical zero, so I’m wondering if it’s gonna be worth it to have the FSB corrected, since it’s technically in-spec.
View Quote
@billytehbob

Don't worry about the FSB. If it zeroed, you're good. I'm assuming you'll be running an optic, so how often will you be using the irons, anyway?

As far as the buffer, don't go with a 9MM buffer. It's too heavy. The gun might run with it, but it would limit reliability in cold conditions, also same thing once the gun gets really dirty. If you're running a carbine gassed barrel, try an H2. I run Sprinco blue springs, which are stiffer, and H2 buffers on all my SOCOM barrels. Much softer than a standard spring and a carbine weight buffer, plus Colt specs an H2 buffer with the heavier profiled SOCOM barrel, anyway.

And let me know if you want to trade that 4 prong for a like new Warcomp and $100. I'd like to have one.

Originally Posted By dalynchmob:
Just ordered a SOCOM RC from Arms Unlimited for $695. Hopefully by the end of the summer I get to take possession of it...

Then, I start my MK18 build.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2hceogj.jpg
View Quote
Good luck with the wait.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:56:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billytehbob] [#42]

I was wondering the same thing. Can't see any of the gas system from that pic. At least I can't.

@billytehbob

Don't worry about the FSB. If it zeroed, you're good. I'm assuming you'll be running an optic, so how often will you be using the irons, anyway?

As far as the buffer, don't go with a 9MM buffer. It's too heavy. The gun might run with it, but it would limit reliability in cold conditions, also same thing once the gun gets really dirty. If you're running a carbine gassed barrel, try an H2. I run Sprinco blue springs, which are stiffer, and H2 buffers on all my SOCOM barrels. Much softer than a standard spring and a carbine weight buffer, plus Colt specs an H2 buffer with the heavier profiled SOCOM barrel, anyway.

And let me know if you want to trade that 4 prong for a like new Warcomp and $100. I'd like to have one.

Good luck with the wait.
View Quote
Yeah, I’d do it to preserve my sanity, but it’s no biggie since I’ll be running a Micro RDS anyway.

I’ll give that a shot since I can get an H2 from down the road, maybe I can find a stiffer spring there, too.

And maybe, but I do like being a part of the cooler kids club with my less effective FH
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 1/2/2018 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#44]
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/HYtq3v"></a>https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4734/27549700169_a25f711da0_o.jpg

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/223gJxf"></a>https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4593/38750752084_1464dc8bfe_o.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:36:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#45]
Originally Posted By billytehbob:

Yeah, I’d do it to preserve my sanity, but it’s no biggie since I’ll be running a Micro RDS anyway.

I’ll give that a shot since I can get an H2 from down the road, maybe I can find a stiffer spring there, too.

And maybe, but I do like being a part of the cooler kids club with my less effective FH
View Quote
If you're buying locally you probably won't find the spring, so at least grab the buffer. Otherwise, there's some H2 buffers in the EE right now for like $28 shipped. The buffer alone, with an in-spec standard spring, will be much better than the carbine buffer you have now. Try it and you may be satisfied without swapping out the muzzle device.

But if you do decide to swap out the 4P for something else, let me know first.

Very nice, sir.
Link Posted: 1/2/2018 11:58:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 6:44:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#47]
Nice rifle. Will you be swapping the muzzle device out and getting some back-up irons? Also, are the selector levers polymer? They look like polymer in the pics, but I wouldn't think DD would use plastic levers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#48]

Nice rifle. Will you be swapping the muzzle device out and getting some back-up irons? Also, are the selector levers polymer? They look like polymer in the pics, but I wouldn't think DD would use plastic levers.
View Quote
At this point I'm not going for a true Block II but you never know...

As for the iron sights, sling, etc. it's all done now and I'll get some more pictures shortly.

As for the Ambi Safety it is polymer. I was a little disappointed that it was polymer but after a trips to the range it works well and feels solid. However I'm open to suggestions for alloy replacements. I'd love to find a source for the Colt M4A1 ambi safety.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes

how can you tell?
He told me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 5:09:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#50]
Originally Posted By M4arc:

At this point I'm not going for a true Block II but you never know...

As for the iron sights, sling, etc. it's all done now and I'll get some more pictures shortly.

As for the Ambi Safety it is polymer. I was a little disappointed that it was polymer but after a trips to the range it works well and feels solid. However I'm open to suggestions for alloy replacements. I'd love to find a source for the Colt M4A1 ambi safety.
View Quote
Post some more pics of it now that you've added the sights and stuff.

Brownell's has Colt ambi selectors for like $46, but the best place I've found for them is the EE. I've grabbed a couple for fair prices and one for really cheap. I don't have them anymore or I'd sell you one. I've switched over to using KAC ambi's.

Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:

He told me.
View Quote
Oh, well that makes sense, then. Lol.
Page / 913
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top