BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 913
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By cmcflex:
Sold my SureFire Mini Scout and picked up a full size, this time in tan.

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz285/k_wilkin/DSC_1780.jpg

Looking good.  Looks...ominous.  I like it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
where were you that you got a mk18?
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Will816:
Originally Posted By osha:
Originally Posted By eternal24k:
Originally Posted By GAshooter11:

why the long face bud?

I'm selling it, but I haven't gotten any takers yet.

It's like breaking up with a girlfriend that still lives with you... and you look at her, and she still looks pretty darn good.

don't worry, she will go from looking "darn good" to "sexy as hell" as soon as she is gone and in the hands of another man.
I only hope you have your replacement already

Haha, how true. I've got my replacement, most definitely. Slimmer, lighter, darker. From Florida rather than from Georgia. (KAC URX III upper)

Don't trust anything from Florida.

Tampa, especially.

Link Posted: 3/13/2012 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
Originally Posted By Will816:
Originally Posted By eternal24k:

why the long face bud?

I'm selling it, but I haven't gotten any takers yet.

It's like breaking up with a girlfriend that still lives with you... and you look at her, and she still looks pretty darn good.

don't worry, she will go from looking "darn good" to "sexy as hell" as soon as she is gone and in the hands of another man.
I only hope you have your replacement already

Haha, how true. I've got my replacement, most definitely. Slimmer, lighter, darker. From Florida rather than from Georgia. (KAC URX III upper)

Don't trust anything from Florida.

Tampa, especially.

It's funny you should say that.  The thing from Florida I was referring to is from Tampa...  I gave up my dreams in Army SF for her because she couldn't handle it anymore, told her I'd go to school instead.  And then she left me for a Marine...  Bitches from Tampa....  On the plus side I'm about to graduate with a degree in electrical engineering thanks to her.

Pic thread!

Link Posted: 3/13/2012 2:49:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jBoy723] [#5]
Originally Posted By Socomike:
Originally Posted By ragincajun1919:
Originally Posted By patriot_man:
Originally Posted By RePp:

SCARs are fuckin awesome.

You got me convinced.

Meh, I prefer the block II over the scar 17s I had.

I prefer the Ar platform over the SCAR platform in general.  For no other reason then the AR feels more at home in my hands and I tend to be quicker and more accurate with the AR.

Ditto. I had my SCAR 16 for almost a year and ended up selling it cause I persoanlly did not feel that it was a huge improvement over the 5.56 AR platform. I would be interested in aquiring the 17S though just to give it a run against my 16" SR25 EMC.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
For the surefire m600 lights are you guys using the 120 lumens model or 200 lumens?
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#7]
For the surefire m600 lights are you guys using the 120 lumens model or 200 lumens?

I use the 200 lumens. There are many KX2C heads out there on M600Cs that are 120 lumens. I contacted SureFire and they said to go by the lumen ratings on the packaging. The newer packaging with the box will be the 200-lumen models.

That said, if you find a good deal on a M600A you can pick up a 200-lumen KX2C head from Brightflashlights.com for around $100. In fact, I had an older KX2C head (120-lumen) that I sold on eBay for about $100 which I turned around and got an updated head from Brightflashlights.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#8]

I use the 200 lumens. There are many KX2C heads out there on M600Cs that are 120 lumens. I contacted SureFire and they said to go by the lumen ratings on the packaging. The newer packaging with the box will be the 200-lumen models.

That said, if you find a good deal on a M600A you can pick up a 200-lumen KX2C head from Brightflashlights.com for around $100. In fact, I had an older KX2C head (120-lumen) that I sold on eBay for about $100 which I turned around and got an updated head from Brightflashlights.

I'm building 1 more upper, and I'm leaning towards the m600. Just to change things up a bit. ...now, tan or black? Hah
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks great, even the black Elcan looks badass.

How do you like that surefire? I'm about to get another light and can't really decide between another M3X or a surefire like yours

Thanks. It'd be cool to have a FDE Elcan, but I'm more than happy with the black one.

I love the M600C light. It's super bright and has great throw. I flirted with getting an Insight to keep with the clone status, but I have a hard time leaving SureFire lights, especially the Scout series. I also like the SureFire switches better––in particular the SR0X series––as the Insight ones seem gaudy. If I could tuck an Insight switch in a TangoDown grip I might try one someday, perhaps on an "enhanced" (i.e., 1.5-esque) Mk18.

There is a TangoDown grip for Insight Switches, it's the ITI models.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
So the EXPS 3-0 was supposed to ship this week but apparently won't be in stock until April 5th. I canceled the order and just went with a T-1 from Larue.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
So the EXPS 3-0 was supposed to ship this week but apparently won't be in stock until April 5th. I canceled the order and just went with a T-1 from Larue.

Try PK Arms. I just got one myself, and they had it to me in just a few days.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FITTER:
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

Try PK Arms. I just got one myself, and they had it to me in just a few days.

I had thought about switching to a T-1 anyway since I'm not looking to build an exact clone so it's not that big of a deal. Thanks for the heads up, though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Sold my SureFire Mini Scout and picked up a full size, this time in tan.

http://i836.photobucket.com/albums/zz285/k_wilkin/DSC_1780.jpg

Handsome banger.

Link Posted: 3/13/2012 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#14]

I prefer the Ar platform over the SCAR platform in general.  For no other reason then the AR feels more at home in my hands and I tend to be quicker and more accurate with the AR.

I definitely feel the same. The upper on the SCAR is damn tall. The only reason I was toying with the idea of getting one was for longer ranges as well the .308 round.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 11:13:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is a picture of the Insight VBL III aka the WMX-200 in use. Granted it might not be on a Block II but I have to say it's the first picture of it I've seen out in the wild. I didn't want to embed it because it was huge and didn't know if it would resize. Make sure to zoom in to get a good look.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 11:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By new-arguy:

I definitely feel the same. The upper on the SCAR is damn tall. The only reason I was toying with the idea of getting one was for longer ranges as well the .308 round.

Also agree. Own a SCAR 16 and enjoy having it. While I wont be selling it, I greatly prefer shooting the AR. SCAR has a lot of reciprocating mass and wobbles when shot. I'm not saying its bad, but the AR is smoother.

I dedicated 2 years to the SCAR and I find I do everything better with it
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Also agree. Own a SCAR 16 and enjoy having it. While I wont be selling it, I greatly prefer shooting the AR. SCAR has a lot of reciprocating mass and wobbles when shot. I'm not saying its bad, but the AR is smoother.

I dedicated 2 years to the SCAR and I find I do everything better with it

No doubt spending a good deal of time behind the trigger of the SCAR would improve my accuracy and speed.  However, these days I am no longer in a unit that is dedicated to training everything that is direct action.  We do not spend countless hours on the range, and frankly my time in the military is coming to an end.  I feel like I have a good skill set with the AR and will probably only make it to the range, as a civilian, to keep that skill set fresh.  I just dont have the time or the money to get to the range and dedicate time to relearning everything I already have on a new weapon system.  Granted, the SCAR is probably very similar to the AR, so it would not be nearly as drastic as changing to something more obscure as say an M14 (or whatever).
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Interesting thing happened tonight. Went to pack up my rifle for an afterwork trip to the range tomorrow and my rail was loose. There was some wiggle in it. So, being overly curious, I removed the rail, 40 minutes later (damn screws) when it was off, i was able to take off the barrel nut by hand... it was super loose. WTF! Did I skip a step installing this thing? So, even after I tighted up the barrel nut, I still can't get the rail to stay secure again, what am I forgetting?
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Interesting thing happened tonight. Went to pack up my rifle for an afterwork trip to the range tomorrow and my rail was loose. There was some wiggle in it. So, being overly curious, I removed the rail, 40 minutes later (damn screws) when it was off, i was able to take off the barrel nut by hand... it was super loose. WTF! Did I skip a step installing this thing? So, even after I tighted up the barrel nut, I still can't get the rail to stay secure again, what am I forgetting?

I'm assuming it was a problem with the Elcan sitting on there too much... send it to me so your upper will work again.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Did you torque it down the right specs? Pictures!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Tmender03:
Looks great, even the black Elcan looks badass.

How do you like that surefire? I'm about to get another light and can't really decide between another M3X or a surefire like yours

Thanks. It'd be cool to have a FDE Elcan, but I'm more than happy with the black one.

I love the M600C light. It's super bright and has great throw. I flirted with getting an Insight to keep with the clone status, but I have a hard time leaving SureFire lights, especially the Scout series. I also like the SureFire switches better––in particular the SR0X series––as the Insight ones seem gaudy. If I could tuck an Insight switch in a TangoDown grip I might try one someday, perhaps on an "enhanced" (i.e., 1.5-esque) Mk18.

There is a TangoDown grip for Insight Switches, it's the ITI models.

Thank God !  I had mine velcroed over the surfire switch insert

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 9:41:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#23]
Here is a picture of the Insight VBL III aka the WMX-200 in use. Granted it might not be on a Block II but I have to say it's the first picture of it I've seen out in the wild. I didn't want to embed it because it was huge and didn't know if it would resize. Make sure to zoom in to get a good look.

Holy huge scope....

I think it's longer than the barrel.  

Handmike tucked in the chinstrap is pretty old-school, too!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Augee:

Holy huge scope....

I think it's longer than the barrel.  

Handmike tucked in the chinstrap is pretty old-school, too!  

~Augee

Me circa 2008.  Block 1 M4 lol
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Did you torque it down the right specs? Pictures!!!

I thought it followed the directions pretty close. The other ones I've installed never had a problem.  I don't have any pics as I'm not sure what that would really show. My rifle is in pieces of my kitchen table anyway... So sad.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 12:47:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kdoggy] [#26]
So the big brown truck came today with some goodies for my upper receiver build!

Daniel Defense M4-A1 RIS II FSP
Daniel Defense BCG
Daniel Defense upper receiver set
Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight

Not keeping everything totally Block but hey, whatever! I was going to get the non FSP rail but holy crap those KAC front and rear sights are expensive!

I have a Daniel Defense CHF barrel on the way too, looks like that will be here tomorrow or Friday I hope!

Then I'm either going to order a Micro T1 or a 557 this next week. Which is why I went with the FSP rail, I couldn't see spending $300~400 dollars on KAC flip sights I'm really never going to use. Boat load of cash just for looks. I almost thought about just ordering a set of Airsoft KAC sights just to fill out the build but then I thought no, i want them to work reliably IF I ever need them to.

My lower is pretty much done. I picked up a Smith and Wesson lower locally. Threw a Daniel Defense LPK into it and bought a Magpul CTR stock. Again, not Block but I really don't like SOPMOD stocks.

Basically my rifle is going to look more like the DD M4 but with a RIS II FSP instead of a Omega-X FSP.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Hopefully, the big brown truck brings some goodies for me too today.

I'm gonna reassemble this rifle tonight, hopefully correctly this time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm waiting for Blue to bring me a CQD front and rear adapter plates, and a CQD Tan Sling.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Dropped my barrel off on Monday. Will have it back by next thurs I believe.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I think I like my phased replacement rifle more than my block II.

I think this is mainly due to the "socom" barrel in my block II. But the 1. Seems alot more handy and appropriate size and weight.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#31]

I think this is mainly due to the "socom" barrel in my block II. But the 1. Seems alot more handy and appropriate size and weight.

What is a phased replacement rifle? Pictures? :)
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By kdoggy:

It is a Socom barrel with FSB and KAC RAS/RIS and the TAN laser unit, light, eotech or elcan, etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 9:41:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tmender03] [#33]
Originally Posted By kdoggy:

This minus a Peq-15, the M3X is on the other side.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Bad news, I'm gonna have to send my upper to a smith.. I cannot get the tool to stay on the barrel nut while I tighten it. It seems the little DD tool keeps stretching out. Ruins my Dual Elcan weekend
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Bad news, I'm gonna have to send my upper to a smith.. I cannot get the tool to stay on the barrel nut while I tighten it. It seems the little DD tool keeps stretching out. Ruins my Dual Elcan weekend

Weird man.  I dont think I have ever heard of that happening.  Thats to bad.  At least you have another Elcan based blaster to play with.  My Elcan equipped CQBR pictures are up in the MK18 thread if you havent seen them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm keeping the 553 on the 1.5 upper, so the SU230 #2 is staying put. If I can get the smith to take care of it tomorrow and pick it up friday, all will be good in the world.

Mike, you're rifle looks GREAT! Can't wait to get my own version of that
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 10:09:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Those DD tools that come with the rail are not made to be used multiple times. The teeth on the free barrel nut wrench easily stretch and round off if used more than a couple times.

Is there a more permanent tool option?
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Those DD tools that come with the rail are not made to be used multiple times. The teeth on the free barrel nut wrench easily stretch and round off if used more than a couple times.

Yes, I had your same problem.

There is an AR tool that has a built in handle which uses the same three tooth pattern as the dd wrenches. It's a standard old ar tool but I forgot what it's called.

Maybe a pri or DPMS barrel nut wrench?
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Which one are you using? I use the old black (steel?) wrench that's longer than the newer silver one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Which one are you using? I use the old black (steel?) wrench that's longer than the newer silver one.

I have a silver one. It sucks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#42]

I have a silver one. It sucks.

When did they start coming with a tool?  I've purchased 5 RIS IIs and none of them came with a wrench.  I had to buy one from DD which is made out of 3/16 flat bar and parkerized.

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:52:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#43]
Originally Posted By KJB:

When did they start coming with a tool?  I've purchased 5 RIS IIs and none of them came with a wrench.  I had to buy one from DD which is made out of 3/16 flat bar and parkerized.

They never did. My first RIS II that I bought off the EE back in '10 came with it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#44]

http://ar15wrench.com/

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 8:02:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By EHilderbrand:

http://ar15wrench.com/

That is one gnarly looking wrench...
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#46]

They never did. My first RIS II that I bought off the EE back in '10 came with it.

My RIS II def came with the tool.  

... No shooting for a month :( just left GA to start a US tour, I miss my block 1.5 & 2 already.

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Dude! Let me know when you're back in town. Zeroed everything last weekend and it is awesome.

My RIS II def came with the tool.  

... No shooting for a month :( just left GA to start a US tour, I miss my block 1.5 & 2 already.

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:06:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: new-arguy] [#48]
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#49]

17s were never ment to replace M4s. They still get lots of play though.

Oh I see. I just thought if the 5.56 conversion kits rolled out that that they might just use the 17S. Thanks for the clarification.

Definitely still thinking about getting a SCAR though...

the 17S when it came out was one of the best battle rifles there was and gets alot of use today.

the 16 on the other hand came out and was found to not really offer anything over the M4A1, especially the Block II's and they stopped ordering them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Goddammit i had to pay 15 bucks for that disposable wrench
Page / 913
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top