Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 119 of 1573)
Page / 1573
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gaston4:
Mine is a standard Non-FSP, and I believe the bottom piece is the standard kind. I will check when I get home. The color also seems a lot lighter and more matte than the newer ones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By secretwheelman:

Does anyone's RIS II have the Savannah, GA markings instead of Black Creek? I was looking at mine today and noticed it was different. Date code on it says '08. I never realized DD produced the RIS II while they were still in Savannah.
I've seen an earlier RIS II FSP, with holes in the front-lower rail section, that was marked Savannah.

Mine is a standard Non-FSP, and I believe the bottom piece is the standard kind. I will check when I get home. The color also seems a lot lighter and more matte than the newer ones.
Sorry, this was a standard RISII, not the mk18 RIS. The only two mk18 RIS II's I've seen in person were Black Creek.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:04:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ECPrevatte] [#3]
So maybe I'm wrong, but I just got an ADCO chopped barrel that was 10.3" and it still looks too long.

My question is, could it be the Surefire Brake?

See the gap between the RIS and suppressor?

This is ASMIG's

I now have two ADCO cut Colt barrels that seem to be longer than 10.3" or at least the same CQBR barrels that the they are issuing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:
So maybe I'm wrong, but I just got an ADCO chopped barrel that was 10.3" and it still looks too long.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/ppi16o" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3948/15359802288_4f02b023fd_b.jpg</a>

This is ASMIG's

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3844/15128249277_270567b2c8_h.jpg

I now have two ADCO cut Colt barrels that seem to be longer than 10.3" or at least the same CQBR barrels that the they are issuing.
View Quote

All of my ADCO cut downs to 10.3 have been right on the money. Pic angle on yours doesn't really tell the tale.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:14:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ECPrevatte] [#5]

Does this?

This was back on page 84 (apparently JShepard's which looks similar to mine)

I'm wondering if it's the brake shims or that the brake sits a tad bit taller than a flash hider similar to how AAC's are a tad bit different due to the wrench flats. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/pfY3TU" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3931/15265572618_e833924af8_b.jpg</a>

Does this?

This was back on page 84 (apparently JShepard's which looks similar to mine)
http://i1026.photobucket.com/albums/y322/_MacGyver-/cs5-Copy_zpsbf8eef2b.jpg

I'm wondering if it's the brake shims or that the brake sits a tad bit taller than a flash hider similar to how AAC's are a tad bit different due to the wrench flats. Thoughts?
View Quote

You're prolly correct about the brake shims.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you have to use shims for the flash hider since it has an index point? I would consider switching it out because I think it looks goofy with the gap.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet it's the shims. Pic of mine incoming...
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm about to swap back barrels, because each Colt barrels I have is a different profile and this one I just installed is heavier.

When I remove the brake I'll see what it looks like without the shim. Do I have to have the main washer/shim?
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:34:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#10]

I'm about to swap back barrels, because each Colt barrels I have is a different profile and this one I just installed is heavier.

When I remove the brake I'll see what it looks like without the shim. Do I have to have the main washer/shim?
View Quote
According to Surefire you do.

This is a Colt LE6920 barrel cut down to 10.3" by ADCO with a SF4P installed.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you have to use shims for the flash hider since it has an index point? I would consider switching it out because I think it looks goofy with the gap.
View Quote

Yes. The SF can barely misses contact with with tha rail when using a few shims with the FH mount.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:35:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ECPrevatte] [#12]
Hm. Well at least I know I have two legit 10.3" Colt barrels with .07 ports.

Thanks Fran and War.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

Negative. That said, it does accept the correct suppressor for a CQBR, so if you're going to run the NT4 can then it could work. But if you're going for clone correctness, no.

RIS = Mk 18, RAS = CQBR. The RAS is an "upgrade" to the RIS though and easier to find so a lot of people use them on Mk 18 builds and they are visually 99% correct.

But then it'd have the wrong Aimpoint mount, stock, grip and Mk 18's don't use suppressors. Looks clearly to be a CQBR build but with a grey A1 lower. Just found it odd. Still badass gun.

But grey? And seems like the M4 lowers are far more common, and certainly on the civilian side much easier to come by. Just saying, seems odd to go out of the way to do that. *shrug*. Not that it matters, not my gun, and looks like a shooter.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:
Originally Posted By pbjunkiee:
KAC triple tap kosher on a mod0?

Negative. That said, it does accept the correct suppressor for a CQBR, so if you're going to run the NT4 can then it could work. But if you're going for clone correctness, no.

Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:
Is the KAC RAS the correct handguard for a Mod 0?

ETA - looks like a KAC RIS - first page is a charm.

RIS = Mk 18, RAS = CQBR. The RAS is an "upgrade" to the RIS though and easier to find so a lot of people use them on Mk 18 builds and they are visually 99% correct.

Originally Posted By MattNificent:

its probably suppose to be a mk18??

But then it'd have the wrong Aimpoint mount, stock, grip and Mk 18's don't use suppressors. Looks clearly to be a CQBR build but with a grey A1 lower. Just found it odd. Still badass gun.

Originally Posted By warpig8654:There are several old M16/M16A1 lowers still in circulation that have been used as foundations for this system.

But grey? And seems like the M4 lowers are far more common, and certainly on the civilian side much easier to come by. Just saying, seems odd to go out of the way to do that. *shrug*. Not that it matters, not my gun, and looks like a shooter.

Sorry have been away, I bought this lower from jcrowl (the couch guy) and sbr'd it and slapped it on there. Figured it was better than a Daniel defense lower or anything else I own.  I bought it already engraved. That said this lower usually is on my CQBR but was running it on this today because it has a H buffer In it and I've been having trouble with it cycling independence.
Pic thread:
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#14]
ETA: can't wait for my surefire socom!
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:20:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ECPrevatte] [#15]
I love the RC. I'm ready for the NT4 soon. I have most of the parts showing up to finish my Block I this week.

I just need to sell this G33 magnifier to pay back buying a Wilcox M2.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:38:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#16]
Why is my brand new SOCOM turning burnt brown faster than everyone else's?

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By PFran42:
Why is my Brand new SOCOM turning burnt brown faster than everyone else's?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GF56D6FRE84/VFmpJ4bQQ1I/AAAAAAABLs4/Y9qbUX5xzHc/w1656-h1104-no/DSC_0001.JPG

View Quote

Trying to match your stock for symmetry.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 12:48:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#18]

View All Quotes

Why is my Brand new SOCOM turning burnt brown faster than everyone else's?
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-GF56D6FRE84/VFmpJ4bQQ1I/AAAAAAABLs4/Y9qbUX5xzHc/w1656-h1104-no/DSC_0001.JPG

A little CQBR feng shui?

Pic thread:

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Thinking about ditching the 553 for an EXPS-3.

WARNING:  Piss poor first attempt at using photoshop.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:03:14 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Mine was like that after around 150 shots. Then it turned light tan when I was shooting a couple weekends ago due to the higher round counts and fast ROF. Now mine is pretty light.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Mine was like that after around 150 shots. Then it turned light tan when I was shooting a couple weekends ago due to the higher round counts and fast ROF. Now mine is pretty light.
View All Quotes

So you're saying that the "C" in Rc stands for chameleon?
To keep this post related.....suppressor wraps......is there a need to use them, or why ae they used?  Just to keep from burning yourself, or is there another reason?  Seems like the suppressor itself would get that much hotter if it were wrapped? (thinking of wrap that is sometimes used on headers on a drag car.  The wrap on headers is to help make them more thermally effecient. I was wondering the purpose on a suppressor)
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#22]
The wraps were made to keep mirage out of shooter's vision for long range shooting.

I don't see the obsession with them on normal ARs. I guess if you're running a class and you're doing a lot of transition drills you wouldn't have to worry as much about it burning your leg.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By RJeff21:
Thinking about ditching the 553 for an EXPS-3.

WARNING:  Piss poor first attempt at using photoshop.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3945/15096233634_577a4e0bb3_b.jpg
View Quote

Seriously digging your glock. I might just have to spray bomb my 20SF
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Any good deals out there for the SOCOM RC?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#25]

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/ppi16o" target="_blank">https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3948/15359802288_4f02b023fd_b.jpg</a>

This is ASMIG's

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3844/15128249277_270567b2c8_h.jpg

View Quote

In my experience ADCO does indeed cut their 10.3 barrels just a hair too long. They're almost a 10.4. If you're looking at the end of the RIS straight on, the end of the rail should perfectly line up with the shoulder of the barrel. Every factory 10.3 barrel I've seen does this. But ADCO cut barrels stick out just a hair farther.

Here's an ADCO 10.3 cut down example on my CQBR:

I found it noticeable when I was using a crush washer. But if you use the NT4 flash hider and a shim instead to index it, you still get the nice and short look. But yes, if you're using a SOCOM suppressor, this does cause you to see the noticeable gap between the can and rail where there should be just a paper-thin non-noticeable gap.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:22:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wormydog1987] [#26]
I put the socom brake on my DD 10.3" and only had to use two very thin shims. I'm wondering if it's enough clearance for when the can gets here. I can always add more shims to get the clearance but would rather not. Anybody have any input?

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#27]
DD's barrels are shorter, but are DD's barrel really 10.3"? Could they be 10.2" or measured differently?

Because the Colt cut barrels I have have the neck sticking out a tad bit in front of the end of the RIS. When I had my DD barrel the neck was under the RIS.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's mine with the FH. DD barrel.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Wormydog1987:
I put the socom brake on my DD 10.3" and only had to use two very thin shims. I'm wondering if it's enough clearance for when the can gets here. I can always add more shims to get the clearance but would rather not. Anybody have any input?

<a href="http://s416.photobucket.com/user/wormydog1724/media/4AF02302-585A-42AD-8CD6-0AA87B3D5CB2_zpsv17kduka.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/4AF02302-585A-42AD-8CD6-0AA87B3D5CB2_zpsv17kduka.jpg</a>
View Quote

It looks like you didn't use the "required" tapered shim which should seat up against the shoulder of the barrel (at least it's required with the SF3P).
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#30]

It looks like you didn't use the "required" tapered shim which should seat up against the shoulder of the barrel (at least it's required with the SF3P).
View All Quotes

<a href="http://s416.photobucket.com/user/wormydog1724/media/4AF02302-585A-42AD-8CD6-0AA87B3D5CB2_zpsv17kduka.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/4AF02302-585A-42AD-8CD6-0AA87B3D5CB2_zpsv17kduka.jpg</a>

Well shiiiit. That's what I get for not reading directions.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:12:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#31]

View All Quotes

This is the video I watched to help me get the install right.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#32]
The wraps were made to keep mirage out of shooter's vision for long range shooting.

I don't see the obsession with them on normal ARs. I guess if you're running a class and you're doing a lot of transition drills you wouldn't have to worry as much about it burning your leg.
View Quote

This.  Suppressor wraps serve a purpose on precision rifles.  They weren't made for shooting rapid fire through them, and can actually melt if you're shooting through mag after mag.  People put them on AR cans because they "look cool" I guess.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Some of the final (I mean it this time) pieces showed up today...

Elcan MRDS base and Docter MRDS.

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:44:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m3racer] [#36]
Awesome pics of the Raiders.  

Interesting that some carry glocks...Or this is a mish mash with Vbss?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By m3racer:

View Quote

best part of the pics
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Some rate Glocks, some don't. Depends on their job in the team.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#39]
All the daylight nods pictures make me cringe
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By poser_pilot6:

This.  Suppressor wraps serve a purpose on precision rifles.  They weren't made for shooting rapid fire through them, and can actually melt if you're shooting through mag after mag.  People put them on AR cans because they "look cool" I guess.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By poser_pilot6:

This may be true with some of them, but does not relate to the Griffon HMMS.

The Griffon is rated for sustained full auto fire.

And for precision shooting with a can, a suppressor wrap is utterly necessary. I start to have trouble picking up the target at even just 200 yards at times with a low round count on semi auto. The heat mirage can start to effect your sight picture damn quickly.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tmender03] [#41]

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dGtM3mEORuM/VFrImhmhHNI/AAAAAAABM18/Ce14C-jQD5g/w2078-h1385-no/DSC_0004.NEF

View Quote

Painted mount or the rare FDE(since discontinued) ?
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Knowing Fran, it's probably the real deal.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By Tmender03:

View All Quotes

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dGtM3mEORuM/VFrImhmhHNI/AAAAAAABM18/Ce14C-jQD5g/w2078-h1385-no/DSC_0004.NEF

Real deal. Picked it up a few days ago on EE. Now I just need the Docter dust cover.  Anyone have one of those floating around?

Also,  Someone just posted a FDE MK18 RIS II for cheap on EE. Someone better pick it up or I am going to start a CQBR .22LR trainer build!
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Real deal. Picked it up a few days ago on EE. Now I just need the Docter dust cover.  Anyone have one of those floating around?

Also,  Someone just posted a FDE MK18 RIS II for cheap on EE. Someone better pick it up or I am going to start a CQBR .22LR trainer build!
View All Quotes

Thanks for the heads up!

Not sure I need a third CQBR, but what the hell.

Had to snag his new KAC 300m micro rear for $70 as well. Solid scores.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By TurbineGuy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TurbineGuy:

Some are carrying Glock 19's because a lot of SOCOM is favoring that gun these days. Furthermore, when in Afghan it's hard to get .45 ammo for the CQBP through the chain & much easier to obtain 9mm NATO especially when operating with a SOF from other NATO countries & from our own.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Close enough for government work I suppose...definitely not as nice as some in the past few pages

Colt lower, Noveske Mk18 upper.  I'm probably going to alternate b/w the 31F and a T2.  I have an extra SOPMOD I'll most likely throw on.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:32:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Have TA33s been spotted in the wild on any of the MK18/CQBR or M4A1 variants?
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:20:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StevieJ309] [#48]
I can't recall ever seeing one.

In pictures at least. Maybe someone has seen one in the flesh.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 3:46:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Ok, one more for you cloners. For those who have sent barrels to ADCO to be chopped down to 10.3, are you able to specify what you want the gas port opened up to?

I ask because I recall reading a while back that ADCO would not disclose what they do to the gas ports on barrels they chop down to 10.3.

This led me to believe that ADCO does their own proprietary thing when it comes to chopping 10.3 barrels.

Basically, after picking up a new Colt SOCOM at my dealer today, and an FDE MK18 RIS II on the EE, I'm thinking about having the factory Colt 16" SOCOM barrel chopped down to 10.3, and going with yet another CQBR.

This one will at least get me some clone points, and also allow me to continue bashing Colt while coming off as a more unbiased current owner of their products.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 7:35:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: warpig] [#50]
Ok, one more for you cloners. For those who have sent barrels to ADCO to be chopped down to 10.3, are you able to specify what you want the gas port opened up to?

I ask because I recall reading a while back that ADCO would not disclose what they do to the gas ports on barrels they chop down to 10.3.

This led me to believe that ADCO does their own proprietary thing when it comes to chopping 10.3 barrels.

Basically, after picking up a new Colt SOCOM at my dealer today, and an FDE MK18 RIS II on the EE, I'm thinking about having the factory Colt 16" SOCOM barrel chopped down to 10.3, and going with yet another CQBR.

This one will at least get me some clone points, and also allow me to continue bashing Colt while coming off as a more unbiased current owner of their products.
View Quote

No.

ETA: They didn't with mine at least. They told me they would open it to appropriate size. This was a few years ago & I don't care to measure.
Page / 1573
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 119 of 1573)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top