Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1273 of 1573)
Page / 1573
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:12:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Well the EXPS has one built in, but the LT110 has been paired with XPS'. There's another I'm drawing a blank on, Wilcox I think.
View Quote
Exps is only lower 1/3, I want higher. For using with noodles.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:45:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about building my third mk18. Looking to start with the stripped Daniel uppers from brownells. Just looked it up, and they are almost 1k now. Am I crazy or did they used to sell for $6-700?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Specs on the docter mount please
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:49:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: walkinginadangerzone] [#4]
Originally Posted By rochelieux:
I was thinking about building my third mk18. Looking to start with the stripped Daniel uppers from brownells. Just looked it up, and they are almost 1k now. Am I crazy or did they used to sell for $6-700?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rochelieux:
Last time I saw them, they were at $690ish if I'm not mistaken. They definitely jumped up in price.

Originally Posted By bending_rodriguez:
^speaking of too clean....has anyone come up with a decent way to clean the Surefire muzzle devices, or prevent(in advance)all the carbon buildup on the mounts?

I’m tired of my RC getting stuck on at the range I barely shoot it, or my cqbr anymore.  Such a PITA.  Without the can the brake is annoying, with the can I have to deal with it afterwards as it’s always getting stuck.

I should mention I’m usually doing full auto mag dumps with it...so I’m talking about lots of carbon build up, and SERIOUSLY getting stuck
Does a wire brush and solvent not work for cleaning the mount?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#5]
^speaking of too clean....has anyone come up with a decent way to clean the Surefire muzzle devices, or prevent(in advance)all the carbon buildup on the mounts?

I’m tired of my RC getting stuck on at the range I barely shoot it, or my cqbr anymore.  Such a PITA.  Without the can the brake is annoying, with the can I have to deal with it afterwards as it’s always getting stuck.

I should mention I’m usually doing full auto mag dumps with it...so I’m talking about lots of carbon build up, and SERIOUSLY getting stuck
View Quote
I use the Surefire tool.  Its easy and works.

Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:48:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tactical_dude] [#6]
Anyone sent in a form 4 lately? I had mine mailed 2 weeks ago and my CC had still not been charged. Anyone else had a delay in being charged?

Nevermind they just charged it. 2 weeks and 1 day just to  charge. Hope they are not getting so many forms in its taking them that long to charge before they send them to martinsburg.

Pic thread;

Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By walkinginadangerzone:

Last time I saw them, they were at $690ish if I'm not mistaken. They definitely jumped up in price.

Does a wire brush and solvent not work for cleaning the mount?
View Quote
Even on a clean mount a can could get stuck. I am surprised they don’t come with a nitride or dry film coating, but who knows if that will work
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Wilcox 5/8 riser.

Let my man @Spooled introduce you to the mile high club. (Assuming he hasn't drank himself to death yet)
View Quote
I actually quit drinking 2 months ago, and am in the best shape of my life.

regarding risers I like 1/3 on top of 5/8, larue or Wilcox.

on the 416 I prefer a 410 riser with absoloute or 1/3 optic

3/4 inch risers are also great, the kac skyscraper is a good option for Micros
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:19:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyUtah427] [#11]
Originally Posted By DoctorLove:

Even on a clean mount a can could get stuck. I am surprised they don’t come with a nitride or dry film coating, but who knows if that will work
View Quote
Newer SF mounts all come in a blackish satin nitride finish, unlike the previous dull gray-brown flat finish .   I have one of the closetine warcomp versions in the new finish, and found that the carbon just flakes off once its dried out.   Very easy to chisel off and clean.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:
Newer SF mounts all come in a blackish satin nitride finish, unlike the previous dull gray-brown flat finish .   I have one of the closetine warcomp versions in the new finish, and found that the carbon just flakes off once its dried out.   Very easy to chisel off and clean.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnnyUtah427:

It's actually a DLC finish unless they changed something very recently. The DLC finish is a blackish/grayish satin.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By krdt:

It's actually a DLC finish unless they changed something very recently. The DLC finish is a blackish/grayish satin.
View Quote
Your are correct...that is what it is.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Good shit man! I'm also getting back into the shape I should be in as we speak. I'm gonna see if I still have your #. Think I had it at one point.
View Quote
About damn time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m in a shape.....  Round is a shape.....  I was doing good, then I went on a company trip.  Sales guys buying me steak and lobster sure didn’t help.....
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#18]
So do the new Surefire mounts help with not fusing to the suppressors during use?

Or are they just easier to clean the carbon from?

Good luck guys! I lost 44 pounds in the last 7 months.  My daughter was born and a week later I said enough was enough lol.  I was 2 lbs from 200....and I didn’t want to see that on the scale.

Planning to maintain at 150, so 4 lbs to go!
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By compuvette:
I’m in a shape.....  Round is a shape
View Quote
Was going to post exactly this.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#20]
So do the new Surefire mounts help with not fusing to the suppressors during use?

Good luck guys! I lost 44 pounds in the last 7 months.  My daughter was born and a week later I said enough was enough lol.  I was 2 lbs from 200....and I didn’t want to see that on the scale.

View Quote
Some suppressor/mount combos are just more susceptible to fusing together. I love my Sig cans, but a quick google search reveals it is a common problem with those cans. Had to buy a $30 wrench from Sig to get them on and off. Some cans and mounts just stick more than others

On a side note, I am trying to gain weight and get up to 175 or 180.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
Damn twig!

I was 128 when I checked in to Basic. I hover between 220-230 these days. Gained a lot of muscle from my job(s) but there's also a decent beer gut.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Damn twig!

I was 128 when I checked in to Basic. I hover between 220-230 these days. Gained a lot of muscle from my job(s) but there's also a decent beer gut.
View Quote
I am in better shape now than I was in military. I have hit weight lifting hard last few years and after working at the VA, glad I left, I promised myself I wouldn’t be one of those vets who looked like a hippie, gained weight and tried to blame my diabetes on the military.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:15:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#24]
I was in killer shape when I came back from my ARFCOM haiitus.

In other words, you guys made me fat and weak. Well, relatively.
View All Quotes

Damn twig!

I've never been in "great" shape (though I used to be able to knock 100 pushups without taking a break), I've always called it "functional strength". I might not be running marathons or benching a shit ton of weight, but I can bend, break and move things when needed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I am in better shape now than I was in military. I have hit weight lifting hard last few years and after working at the VA, glad I left, I promised myself I wouldn’t be one of those vets who looked like a hippie, gained weight and tried to blame my diabetes on the military.
View All Quotes

Damn twig!

If/when I become diabetic, I'll just blame it on genetics. Literally, every male on my side of the family is diabetic. I bug my provider about it every year during my checkup.

Between the missing cartilage in my knee and shoulder, arthritis in both knees (most likely in my hands as well) and bulging disc in my back, my job takes so much out of me each day that I don't have the energy to try and workout.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Honestly that's the best shape to be in. I'm almost back to being able to bench 315, but outside of the gym I know it isn't going to help me any in the real world.
View All Quotes

Damn twig!

I've never been in "great" shape (though I used to be able to knock 100 pushups without taking a break), I've always called it "functional strength". I might be running marathons or benching a shit ton of weight, but I can bend, break and move things when needed.
Honestly that's the best shape to be in. I'm almost back to being able to bench 315, but outside of the gym I know it isn't going to help me any in the real world.
That's the way I've always looked at it as well. Granted, my cardio is shit and I get winded easily.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#28]

If/when I become diabetic, I'll just blame it on genetics. Literally, every male on my side of the family is diabetic. I bug my provider about it every year during my checkup.

Between the missing cartilage in my knee and shoulder, arthritis in both knees (most likely in my hands as well) and bulging disc in my back, my job takes so much out of me each day that I don't have the energy to try and workout.
View Quote
I hear you. After 10 years in infantry and a few years in private security I needed an office job. Now I work for DOD and we have a gym that use on my lunch break. I have a farm and don’t have much spare time, so if it wasn’t for that, I wouldn’t get to work out
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#30]
My cardio is lackin' too but I'm getting back on it, especially since I got my CCW finally and carry appendix. Ain't no room for fat in that equation.
View All Quotes

Damn twig!

I've never been in "great" shape (though I used to be able to knock 100 pushups without taking a break), I've always called it "functional strength". I might be running marathons or benching a shit ton of weight, but I can bend, break and move things when needed.
That's the way I've always looked at it as well. Granted, my cardio is shit and I get winded easily.
My cardio is lackin' too but I'm getting back on it, especially since I got my CCW finally and carry appendix. Ain't no room for fat in that equation.
Yeah, that's not happening here either.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
New is relative; I think the SOCOM mounts have always been DLC. My 4 prong is DLC and while it's not difficult to clean, I wouldn't say the carbon just falls off or anything. That said, I wet it with some solvent and it scrapes mostly clean in a few minutes.

Best bet is to start with a reasonably clean mount each time if you want to minimize chances of sticking (and maintain the mount surfaces internally); maybe add some kind of high temp anti-seize like the Loctite LB 8008 I mentioned and try to remove the can before it completely cools. If you're starting with a clean MD, I find that sticking isn't much of a problem until you get above 400 or 500rds in a single session. Of course, that depends on the length of cooling cycles and that's rapid semi; with FA the heat is gonna make it happen faster and at a lower threshold.

You're not having to shoot it off or anything, are you? Usually worst-case for me is having to pry it gently with a flathead (wrapped in a cotton patch) between the RIS II and the unlocked collar to break it loose.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
https://i.imgur.com/d7m9yH8.jpg
View Quote
Wearing his comtacs without the arc adapters. I like seeing that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By wissota4:

Wearing his comtacs without the arc adapters. I like seeing that.
View Quote
Agreed. Also appears to be a SFCT closed tine flash hider. Aimpoint, etc.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By rgb:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rgb:
It the new one from arisaka.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:

Nah. Sub zero temps in Muslim overrun commie blue states ain’t shit.
View Quote
A muslin overrun, communist, democratic state of the Republic of the United States.

Yeah, because what you said makes total sense you blundering idiot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 11:30:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wissota4] [#37]
Originally Posted By Subiescott:

A muslin overrun, communist, democratic state of the Republic of the United States.

Yeah, because what you said makes total sense you blundering idiot.
View Quote
Well.... he wasn't acrually wrong..lol
Eta about Minnesota anyway.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Not exactly a mk18, but DSS SAs at the UNGA this week with what looks like 10.3 inch gats with RIS 2 railed and LAW folders with the usual aimpoint and surefire accessories.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
DISCUSSION LINK ON B5 CAR STOCKS
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#41]
RIP...

Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

Agreed. Also appears to be a SFCT closed tine flash hider. Aimpoint, etc.
View Quote
Probably the old surefire fh556-212a since thats the main cans PJ's have ran.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

Crazy dude.

What was the round count on that guy?
Baffle strike on a mag dump?
View Quote
Id say probably a little over 10k. It was on semi auto and just popping some rounds under night vision. Saw one round that didnt hit steel and flashed a little more that normal out the front. Saw the endcap and took it off and dumped out some baffle pieces. Had to have just been a bad round since i time all my flash hiders correctly and check with a surefire alignment rod. But it needed a freshen up anyways so ill eat the $330 dollars and have a "new" can.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Conner378:

Id say probably a little over 10k. It was on semi auto and just popping some rounds under night vision. Saw one round that didnt hit steel and flashed a little more that normal out the front. Saw the endcap and took it off and dumped out some baffle pieces. Had to have just been a bad round since i time all my flash hiders correctly and check with a surefire alignment rod. But it needed a freshen up anyways so ill eat the $330 dollars and have a "new" can.
View Quote
Super fair considering.
I remember seeing another member going through SF for a recore and it wasn't that bad on the wallet either.

You should have popped a couple more rounds off to see if the can sounded different.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Ouch... that sucks. Poor lil can.

You should ask SF if they'll rebuild it with an RC endcap on it ;D.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By carmodyh:
Not exactly a mk18, but DSS SAs at the UNGA this week with what looks like 10.3 inch gats with RIS 2 railed and LAW folders with the usual aimpoint and surefire accessories.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/365058/62A0AB63-C13D-45D1-BD97-772A65688198_jpeg-1103363.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/365058/9C89CF17-5D41-4DCA-94AF-600A5555DF80_jpeg-1103365.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/365058/079D36CC-ACCB-44FB-B52A-99F7DBA6FE05_jpeg-1103366.JPG
View Quote
First guy doing some land nav with his ranger beads?
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ChandlerKJ:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ChandlerKJ:
Originally Posted By carmodyh:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/365058/62A0AB63-C13D-45D1-BD97-772A65688198_jpeg-1103363.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/365058/9C89CF17-5D41-4DCA-94AF-600A5555DF80_jpeg-1103365.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/365058/079D36CC-ACCB-44FB-B52A-99F7DBA6FE05_jpeg-1103366.JPG
Good question. I figured it was a pull tab for some medical item or something. Could be a guy who doesn’t know what ranger beads are just putting more stuff on his kit. Another photo dude has a chem light bundle on his belt but is the only one rocking it. Who knows. I only flew death machines but stayed in a holiday in and lurk on arfcom.
Page / 1573
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1273 of 1573)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top