Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1365 of 1573)
Page / 1573
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mra4523:

Yeah Kevin has been toning the business down over the last couple of years so that could be the explanation for the outdated webpage. I had Kevin build my MK12 mod 1 upper late last year and it came through perfectly. I’ve also used him for suppressor sales a couple times now, so he’s done right by me. I did see the 10.5” LMT barrel. I understand that a colt barrel is clone correct. Are there any other variations in the barrel. In theory I guess I could piece it together myself and have my local smith take care of the build. The only question there would be what’s the benefit? Does it save money to put towards that expensive knights suppressor. I could see the upside there. Any thoughts or advice?
View Quote

My clone is being done with a 10.5” LMT upper since the 10.3s are so hard to find.

Plus I got a smoking deal on it but I have to wait 5 months. Not gonna spend 200$ for that .2”.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

I'll assemble it for you if you pay shipping.

It depends on how correct you want to be but the issued barrel is a Colt M4 barrel cut to 10.3" and dimpled for the Mk12 gas block or an FN 10.3" heavy barrel (found on newer CQBRs). Upper receiver is anything USGI so older issued Colt, FN, etc. Older URG would have an M4QD, newer would have a SureFire 4 prong.

You could but a Colt 6920 URG, DD or Badger Mk12 gas block, DD Mk18 RIS II, muzzle device of choice, have Compass Lake Engineering cut the barrel down, and have a really good base for a clone. The only way you wouldn't save money is if you were paying a lot for shipping from various places. However, even if it is the same price or more, you'll get a better clone than you could buy already made from anywhere else.
View Quote

Makes sense. I saw Charlie’s Clones is offering a 100% clone correct block 2 upper with everything as issued, but it’s priced at a whopping $2050. Historically speaking it seems that they’re usually pretty expensive especially on those popular clone items.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 3:55:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#3]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

My clone is being done with a 10.5” LMT upper since the 10.3s are so hard to find.

Plus I got a smoking deal on it but I have to wait 5 months. Not gonna spend 200$ for that .2”.
View Quote

DD 10.3 barrel is $275.99 from Brownells.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-5-56-hammer-forged-barrels-prod41976.aspx?avs%7cMake_3=AR-15&cm_sp=Landing+Links-_-Landing+Page-_-Great_AR_Barrel&avs%7cLength_1=10xzzx3%2522

DD MK18 stripped uppers can be had for around $750 when you catch them on sale or a 10% off coupon.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/mk18-stripped-socom-upper-receiver-w-handguard-only-prod81194.aspx?cm_sp=Landing+Links-_-Landing+Page-_-Great_AR_Upper_Receivers&avs%7cManufacturer_1=daniel+defense
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Makes sense. I saw Charlie’s Clones is offering a 100% clone correct block 2 upper with everything as issued, but it’s priced at a whopping $2050. Historically speaking it seems that they’re usually pretty expensive especially on those popular clone items.
View Quote

Just say no to CCC.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

Just say no to CCC.
View Quote

Never done business with them personally. I’ve found myself on their site for other clone correct items, but never pulled the trigger due to high prices. Is the gripe integrity or value?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'll assemble it for you if you pay shipping.

It depends on how correct you want to be but the issued barrel is a Colt M4 barrel cut to 10.3" and dimpled for the Mk12 gas block or an FN 10.3" heavy barrel (found on newer CQBRs). Upper receiver is anything USGI so older issued Colt, FN, etc. Older URG would have an M4QD, newer would have a SureFire 4 prong.

You could but a Colt 6920 URG, DD or Badger Mk12 gas block, DD Mk18 RIS II, muzzle device of choice, have Compass Lake Engineering cut the barrel down, and have a really good base for a clone. The only way you wouldn't save money is if you were paying a lot for shipping from various places. However, even if it is the same price or more, you'll get a better clone than you could buy already made from anywhere else.

I wouldn't trust that anything is "clone correct" unless you come in here and verify it. Charlie's was selling I think 11.5" barrels cut down to 10.3" or something not right.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 4:46:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BurtSaun1049] [#7]

View Quote

Charlie's = AIDS.

They got the hardest dragging I've ever seen on the CRA Facebook page, and they've deserved everything that came their way.

Do not do business with them

Check out Thoroughbred Armament if looking for another option and make sure you follow their Instagram because they get lots of surplus stuff that sells out in < an hour.

*ETA: I have no financial relationship with them, they've just always had decent prices, no shenanigans, and actually understand what cloning is about.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

Charlie's = AIDS.

They got the hardest dragging I've ever seen on the CRA Facebook page, and they've deserved everything that came their way.

Check out Thoroughbred Armament if looking for another option and make sure you follow their Instagram because they get lots of surplus stuff that sells out in < an hour.

*ETA: I have no financial relationship with them, they've just always had decent prices, no shenanigans, and actually understand what cloning is about.
View Quote

And this is why we fact check before dealing with the headaches of recouping money. I appreciate the insight. I’m familiar with Thoroughbred. I’ve been following them since they threw that crazy line of MK13 Mod 5 kits following a run of brand new MARS rails. I know that clone community went nuts and their validity checks out. I guess for me, I’d like to nail the Mk18 as pretty dead on clone correct. I’m curious what you all believe is the path of least resistance here? Is it purchasing a M4 LE Colt rifle and then building around it as I do the form 1 for the lower to be registered as a SBR?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Never done business with them personally. I’ve found myself on their site for other clone correct items, but never pulled the trigger due to high prices. Is the gripe integrity or value?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Engineer5:

Just say no to CCC.

Anyone with simple Google skills and basic common sense would avoid CCC and that shady/rapey bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 8:33:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zakk_Wylde_470] [#10]
Got my rear BUIS, trigger, Eotech and picked up my lower last week. Now I just have to start my Form 1 and actually build the damn thing

And yes, I'm well aware my receivers are blasphemy
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Zakk_Wylde_470:
Got my rear BUIS, trigger, Eotech and picked up my lower last week. Now I just have to start my Form 1 and actually build the damn thing

https://i.imgur.com/b9HMAjy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6CgAChr.jpg

View Quote

And fancy paint isn't "clone".
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#12]
What gas block for 10.3 fn factory dimpled barrels?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Sleepym4:
What gas block for 10.3 fn factory dimpled barrels?
View Quote

Mk12
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:26:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sleepym4] [#14]
Only ones I have found are badger. Also heard about cle being a good choice, but in their description they don’t say mk12 gas block
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Sleepym4:
Only ones I have found are badger. Also heard about cle being a good choice, but in their description they don’t say mk12 gas block
View Quote

Daniel Defense
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Page 1365 shall be known as the blasphemy page. And this is my contribution...

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:01:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Another plug for Thoroughbred Armament...good dude, legit, and knows his clone game. *no financial relationship, other than having purchased an LMT Defender lower from him and meeting him at SHOT.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/58021/993B5837-12B1-4CC4-AC2B-15248AA7184C_jpe-1508686.JPG

Just Krylon the shit out of it when you get it built.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#20]

And this is why we fact check before dealing with the headaches of recouping money. I appreciate the insight. I’m familiar with Thoroughbred. I’ve been following them since they threw that crazy line of MK13 Mod 5 kits following a run of brand new MARS rails. I know that clone community went nuts and their validity checks out. I guess for me, I’d like to nail the Mk18 as pretty dead on clone correct. I’m curious what you all believe is the path of least resistance here? Is it purchasing a M4 LE Colt rifle and then building around it as I do the form 1 for the lower to be registered as a SBR?
View All Quotes

Charlie's = AIDS.

The answer to that depends on whether you value time or money more and how quickly you "need" it/how patient you are.

I'm short on free time, but also only allocate myself a set amount of play money every month, and I'm very patient, so building was the best option for me. I bought the suppressor first to get that ball rolling and Filed the Form 1 on a lower I had waiting around, and then I hunted and pecked for deals while I slowly acquired all of the tools I needed to build my own upper.

As Henry Ford once said, "If you chop your own wood, it warms you twice."
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:46:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SMFdarkangel] [#21]

Charlie's = AIDS.

View Quote

Ditto. I lost count of how much $$$$ I've sent Thoroughbred Armament. They are a class act. I wouldn't deal with Charlie's even if my life depended on it. Those guys are dirt bags.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SMFdarkangel:

Ditto. I lost count of how much $$$$ I've sent Thoroughbred Armament. They are a class act. I wouldn't deal with Charlie's even if my life depended on it. Those guys are dirt bags.
View Quote

Another +1 for thoroughbred. Good dudes over there.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I got my sling mounts and rear BUIS from Thoroughbred
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, scored an Ambi COLT selector switch....Which has prompted me to go ahead and start a MK18 build...

Suppressor and lower were already on hand.

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By hemiman:
Well, scored an Ambi COLT selector switch....Which has prompted me to go ahead and start a MK18 build...

https://i.imgur.com/CgBq1YVl.jpg
View Quote

Only a true man of culture acquires the can before the build.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

You a lefty?
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 4:30:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#27]

You a lefty?
View All Quotes

You a lefty?

Glad it wasn't just me.

ETA On the subject... who has Colt ambi selectors in stock?
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 4:45:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zakk_Wylde_470] [#28]
So I already have an FDE MOE grip and CTR, but now I'm trying to talk myself into picking up a taupe KAC A2 grip and tan LMT SOPMOD stock

Is there any difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 aside from the QD socket?
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:

Glad it wasn't just me.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmyPilot12:

You a lefty?

Glad it wasn't just me.

Sure am who knew Colt would be forward thinking enough to make it reversible.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#30]
So I already have an FDE MOE grip and CTR, but now I'm trying to talk myself into picking up a taupe KAC A2 grip and tan LMT SOPMOD stock

View Quote

Black A2 is clone so if you aren't using that, use whatever you want.

Basically just the QD.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Basically just the QD.
View All Quotes

Basically just the QD.

That's fair, it's just the Magpul stuff is so... pedestrian now
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

The way I look at it, wh o is gonna go out and buy the same exact stock or grip they were issued just to change the color.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#33]
FN 10.3 Socom barrels in stock
pretty cool how they are dimpled for the gb
tempted to buy one to stick away but i already have quite a few spare colt 10.3 barrels

Link
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
tempted to buy one to stick away but i already have quite a few spare colt 10.3 barrels

Link
View Quote

Anyone have a line on 14.5"s?
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#35]
What’s everyone’s take on the suppressor options for the block 2? I have experience with Knight’s suppressor with my MK13, but nothing with surefire. Those of you that have one or the other or have ran both, what did you think was the best all around performing system. The hunt for the 4 prong flash hider would probably be the biggest negative for the surefire I would suppose.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:17:36 AM EDT
[#36]
What’s everyone’s take on the suppressor options for the block 2? I have experience with Knight’s suppressor with my MK13, but nothing with surefire. Those of you that have one or the other or have ran both, what did you think was the best all around performing system. The hunt for the 4 prong flash hider would probably be the biggest negative for the surefire I would suppose.
View Quote

The Surefire 4p's pop up in the EE.  There was one listed a day or two ago.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

Link
View Quote

Thanks for the link, added 1 to the stash!
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

KAC NT4 for cool factor and tone, but Surefire overall for backpressure and mounting system (and likely POI/POA shift, although I need to formally evaluate this).

Both are unbelievably durable cans.

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:

The way I look at it, wh o is gonna go out and buy the same exact stock or grip they were issued just to change the color.
View All Quotes

Is this the first time someone in this thread talked someone out of spending money
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#40]

KAC NT4 for cool factor and tone, but Surefire overall for backpressure and mounting system (and likely POI/POA shift, although I need to formally evaluate this).

Both are unbelievably durable cans.

https://i.imgur.com/VOV3Pkv.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the review. Question does the newer SOCOM RC2 can mate with that the legacy 4 prong surefire flash hider?
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Is this the first time someone in this thread talked someone out of spending money
View Quote

Well when it makes you less clone correct then yes (not that my rifle is the most accurate). Especially after yesterday's Debate in the Block II thread. Haha
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Thanks for the review. Question does the newer SOCOM RC2 can mate with that the legacy 4 prong surefire flash hider?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#43]
What are my options for aligning the RIS II and upper receiver picatinny rails? I've read about people using carry handles, and I've seen the Brownells tool, but didnt know if you guys knew of other good tools.

My rail is just the slightest but off after just doing it by eyeball, and I want to fix it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:22:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: india13c] [#44]
What are my options for aligning the RIS II and upper receiver picatinny rails? I've read about people using carry handles, and I've seen the Brownells tool, but didnt know if you guys knew of other good tools.

My rail is just the slightest but off after just doing it by eyeball, and I want to fix it.
View Quote

I always use this, and it works like a charm.  Bridge the gap, half upper half rail.

https://www.wheelertools.com/gunsmithing-tools/vices-clamps-and-blocks/delta-series-ar-upper-pic-rail-vise-block/156888.html
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 100roundclipazine] [#45]
Got my Cult, I mean Colt lower back from anodizing.
Rollmark looks light but its the angle. Looks nice in person.

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Carry handle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#47]
3d printed pic rail bridge is what I just used for a URX 3.1 install. If you want the file I can get it from my buddy who made it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Well when it makes you less clone correct then yes (not that my rifle is the most accurate). Especially after yesterday's Debate in the Block II thread. Haha
View All Quotes

You talked me out of the grip but I still ordered the SOPMOD
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:08:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Keylows] [#49]

Nice. Lower/markings look good.
I wish I would have picked up a BM 80% when they were available.

Eta: That Elcan always trips me out lol
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

I've used my EXPS3 several times--does the job just fine. I think I might've even used the TD stubby QD once as well, but I prefer the optic since it's more likely to be true/square.

Really, any picatinny accessory that's long enough to bridge will generally work.
Page / 1573
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1365 of 1573)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top